Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

T.J. Green released

BlueShoe

2 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Despite all the slack he caught I actually like TJ Green I thought he had the potential to be decent. 

I think we were all rooting for him. It would've been great if he panned out.

As for potential, that's all he was. A big and super fast athlete, but not a football player.

7 hours ago, akcolt said:

It's amazing he was so bad. Think about it he had 5 drafts and as of now there are what 8 players left. I think counting Luck is being generous. That was more a product of having the top pick. We will give him 8 but we haven't made it through cuts yet. We could see more cut loose

It wouldn't surprise me if Clark or Good are shown the door despite our need at T.  One isn't very good there other is serviceable but can't stay on the field. Webb probably makes it we will see how the rest plays out.  Luck Hilton Kelly Haeg Geathers and Rideway are all safe. If you take a look at the guys that were cut many were straight out of the league.  He has to have one of the all time worst draft records. I'm not sure he could've done worse if he tried. 

I would be absolutely terrible at being GM. With that being said, I have no doubt I would have done better than Grigson. This is sad

4 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

I would be absolutely terrible at being GM. With that being said, I have no doubt I would have done better than Grigson. This is sad

I think everyone on this forum would of been as good or better than Grigson that does draft analysis on here every year. Just me hitting on all of our 1st round picks I hypothetically picked for the Colts since 2012-2016 probably makes me better than Grigson. Give me rounds 2-7 with a group of scouts and advanced technology and I could probably surprise some people. Just because you have a title of GM and the technology doesn't mean you know what you are doing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think everyone on this forum would of been as good or better than Grigson that does draft analysis on here every year. Just me hitting on all of our 1st round picks I hypothetically picked for the Colts since 2012-2016 probably makes me better than Grigson. Give me rounds 2-7 with a group of scouts and advanced technology and I could probably surprise some people. Just because you have a title of GM and the technology doesn't mean you know what you are doing.

Hilarious,   

19 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Like many, I hated the TJ Green pick the moment he was drafted, and scratched my head as to why anybody would draft him there.

Today I read that Pagano was pounding the table advocating him to be drafted, so that bad pick makes more sense now.

Is there video of said fist pounding? Or just the word of a local journalist??

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Is there video of said fist pounding? Or just the word of a local journalist??

You mean not true?  Okay, I'll go with that.

There was word from a local journalist that the previous GM meddled with starting lineups, so I'll have to call that not true too and can't play favorites just to validate hate.  I can't be dishonest.

lol   fake  a  news  comes out as "not true".  what a bunch of wimps,

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

You mean not true?  Okay, I'll go with that.

There was word from a local journalist that the previous GM meddled with starting lineups, so I'll have to call that not true too and can't play favorites.

Fair enough.   I didn't believe that either

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't need to reaffirm a position I already agree with.   I don't expect others to either.   What's the point in that?  I agree,  you and I feel the bears made a mistake in that trade.   I'm sure we agree on a lot of other things as well

Fair enough.   I didn't believe that either

But I believe a defensive HC would advocate for selecting a specific defensive player rather than a GM telling which marginal Olineman should play over the other.  The former just makes more sense than the latter.

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

But I believe a defensive HC would advocate for selecting a specific defensive player rather than a GM telling which marginal Olineman should play over the other.  The former just makes more sense than the latter.

Advocating for a player happens I'm sure.   However,  the GM has his board.   If the player being advocated for is way down on his board,   then it's on the GM for making the bad pick.   The only exception would be on the raiders.   Gruden seems to have all the power there.   I'm positive that wasn't the case with pagano.

FWIW Gill Brandt had Green inside of his top 70 players during that draft.   He just didn't pan out

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Advocating for a player happens I'm sure.   However,  the GM has his board.   If the player being advocated for is way down on his board,   then it's on the GM for making the bad pick.   The only exception would be on the raiders.   Gruden seems to have all the power there.   I'm positive that wasn't the case with pagano.

FWIW Gill Brandt had Green inside of his top 70 players during that draft.   He just didn't pan out

I don't disagree, but I think the HC's opinion goes into the formulation of the Board. 

My guess, and only a guess, is that Bill Polian would use input from Tom Moore for offensive players.  As as a result, Dallas Clark got ranked ahead of other players.  Sure BP makes the pick with other considerations in mind, and ultimately is the picker, but without Moore's input, Clark wouldn't have been ranked so highly in the first place.  Just a reasonable guess.

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't disagree, but I think the HC's opinion goes into the formulation of the Board. 

My guess, and only a guess, is that Bill Polian would use input from Tom Moore for offensive players.  As as a result, Dallas Clark got ranked ahead of other players.  Sure BP makes the pick with other considerations in mind, and ultimately is the picker, but without Moore's input, Clark wouldn't have been ranked so highly in the first place.  Just a reasonable guess.

From the stories I heard about Tom Moore i don't think he spent his years in Indy,  and after,  watching a lot of college game tape.   He was a behind the scenes guy.   Polian knew what players that offense needed.   

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

From the stories I heard about Tom Moore i don't think he spent his years in Indy,  and after,  watching a lot of college game tape.   He was a behind the scenes guy.   Polian knew what players that offense needed.   

Yeah, I can see that.   Polian was probably much more adept at knowing what types of players fit particular Os and Ds. 

I remember Polian telling a story about the Dallas Clark draft.  We drafted S Mike Doss in the second.  He said that Tony Dungy liked Doss, and kept telling Polian, who was getting nervous about trading up higher to get him, that "relax, he'll be there, he'll be there" with our second pick.  Dungy told Polian not to trade up, I guess because Dungy knew Doss' talents relative to what other teams were looking for and thought he'd be available.

I think there are discussions all the time between professionals.  The final decision is made at the top, but the input by the subordinates also has to be competent.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

"Are you a GM in the NFL?"

"No......but I did post on the Colts forum last night....."

I agree with that sentiment.  I've been a Colts fan for a long time, and I could never figure out the freedom people used with criticizing the GM and his decisions.  Even extreme pejoratives like "sucks".

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

And all of the other scouts, and work he and Tony did at Senior bowls, pro days, combine, and tape watching.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, I can see that.   Polian was probably much more adept at knowing what types of players fit particular Os and Ds. 

I remember Polian telling a story about the Dallas Clark draft.  We drafted S Mike Doss in the second.  He said that Tony Dungy liked Doss, and kept telling Polian, who was getting nervous about trading up higher to get him, that "relax, he'll be there, he'll be there" with our second pick.  Dungy told Polian not to trade up, I guess because Dungy knew Doss' talents relative to what other teams were looking for and thought he'd be available.

I think there are discussions all the time between professionals.  The final decision is made at the top, but the input by the subordinates also has to be competent.

The story I remember him telling about the 2003 draft was he and Tony were in a meeting together to determine which player (that both graded out the same) would be taken in round 1.  Dungy wanted the (unnamed) defensive player.  Polian lobbied for Clark.  Jim Irsay knocked and entered.  Excused himself from interrupting and proceed with his reason for entering.  Upon leaving, he paused at the door as he was leaving and asked what they were discussing. Bill told him they were discussing whether to take (unnamed) defensive player or Dallas Clark in round 1. Bill said ahh... very well. It's not my decision, but if it was, I'd go with the tight end from Iowa. Then left.  Polian and Dungy looked at each other and they said, Well, I guess we're going with Clark then.

He told the story (SiriusXM 'Late Hits' NFL Radio show) because some people had reported that Irsay was a meddling and heavy handed owner in personnel matters, etc... etc... and Bill said he certainly was not. However, he did have a subtle way, at times, to get his viewpoints in.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

And all of the other scouts, and work he and Tony did at Senior bowls, pro days, combine, and tape watching.

The story I remember him telling about the 2003 draft was he and Tony were in a meeting together to determine which player (that both graded out the same) would be taken in round 1.  Dungy wanted the (unnamed) defensive player.  Polian lobbied for Clark.  Jim Irsay knocked and entered.  Excused himself from interrupting and proceed with his reason for entering.  Upon leaving, he paused at the door as he was leaving and asked what they were discussing. Bill told him they were discussing whether to take (unnamed) defensive player or Dallas Clark in round 1. Bill said ahh... very well. It's not my decision, but if it was, I'd go with the tight end from Iowa. Then left.  Polian and Dungy looked at each other and they said, Well, I guess we're going with Clark then.

He told the story (SiriusXM 'Late Hits' NFL Radio show) because some people had reported that Irsay was a meddling and heavy handed owner in personnel matters, etc... etc... and Bill said he certainly was not. However, he did have a subtle way, at times, to get his viewpoints in.

Yeah, I heard that story too.  That was the same draft.  I don't know if Dungy wanted Doss in the first, probably another player.  The story I heard was when Polian was praising Dungy at some point, basically telling us that Dungy was savy and told him Doss would be available at our pick.

4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don’t think you really appreciate just how bad posts like these make you look.

There was no need to say this.   Everyone agrees that Grigson was bad at his job.    But you carry things an extra step that isn’t needed and eyes begin to roll...

These are unforced errors.   

When in doubt —- punt! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Well, I certainly don't know what I am doing...I said Green would work out. 

Oh well....

For now.  If he doesn't get picked up for a second chance, the AAF will take him. There will be AAF players that develop and get back in the league, without question.