Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Steelers' Wr Mike Wallace Is Up For Grabs (For A 1St Round Pick)

Per Michael David Smith at PFT - "...any team can sign Wallace to an offer sheet, and if the cap-strapped Steelers don’t match the offer, Wallace will cost only one first-round draft pick. Acquiring a 25-year-old who’s arguably the best deep threat in the NFL for a first-round draft pick isn’t a bad deal at all, especially if there’s a playoff contender that believes a big-play receiver is just the thing they need to win the Super Bowl."

...just throwing it out there. With the possibility of losing Reggie and the Waiter (one or both) could Mike Wallace be a FA option?

For us, there is no way he comes here the #1 pick is way too valuable. During a normal year, heck yeah a mid 20s pick would be well worth it.

This would be For a team like New England? He would be a slam dunk imo, they could get what they desperately need for only a high 1st rounder.

How about the 2013 1st Rd pick? I didn't read anything that said it had to be this year's 1st Rd pick. Keeping everything under the salary cap is the biggest issue. If Peyton isn't resigned that gives us $6.5M this year and $18M next year and etc,etc. Restructure Freeney and that gives us addt'l Millions.

I highly doubt the Pats could afford him. Along with giving up a first round draft pick comes signing a pretty big contract.

prob right as they just renegotiated with welker and placed the FT on him... big money for a little guy

No chance. I like Wallace, but not for the first overall pick. Considering the turmoil between Manning and the Colts right now, it is hard to imagine the Colts paying his bonus. That leaves absolutely no one to throw Wallace the ball (we found that out last year). Now if this was the Colts of old, and we were playing around with the 28th pick or so - then I would say we should strongly consider making the move.

I would really not be against that, but is it really worth that first round pick? No. Wait till free agency starts and lets see his asking price. If it's reasonable, then I say it's worth negotiating with him.

Forgive me. I believed the new club had the latitude of forefeiting the subsequent league year's draft pick to the losing club. :slaphead:

Nevermind.

Unless...

An off his rocker theorist ( :loco:) put forth the notion of keeping Manning and adding Wallace to his quiver.

Don't feel bad, I had to look up the rules, because I was thinking about compensatory draft picks for free agents lost, which would be awarded the following year. I'm really not familiar with "this" type of transaction at all. It can't happen that often I guess, and frankly relating it to the draft immediately coming up seems to run contrary to the theory of using the draft to improve the weaker teams. In this case only the better teams in the league could even consider doing it, but for anyone from about #20 on this would seem to be the bargain of the century. It really makes no sense.

By the way, I'd entertain the idea of keeping a (healthy) Peyton and trading the pick, but it had better net a lot more than one wide receiver.

How about the 2013 1st Rd pick? I didn't read anything that said it had to be this year's 1st Rd pick. Keeping everything under the salary cap is the biggest issue. If Peyton isn't resigned that gives us $6.5M this year and $18M next year and etc,etc. Restructure Freeney and that gives us addt'l Millions.

I downloaded the current CBA and it says the rules regarding draft picks were carried over from the previous CBA. I could not find the previous deal. Nevertheless it appears to be a concensus opinion that the gaining team loses the pick from the draft immediately following offseason FA period.

Example: Panthers CB Ricky Manning was a restricted free agent in the 2006 offseason. Based on the tender placed on Manning by the Panthers, the team would receive a third-round pick in the draft if Manning signed with another team. On April 21, the Bears signed Manning to an offer sheet. The Panthers announced on April 24 that they would not match. Manning became a member of the Bears and the Panthers received a third-round draft choice in the same 2006 offseason from Chicago.

I would really not be against that, but is it really worth that first round pick? No. Wait till free agency starts and lets see his asking price. If it's reasonable, then I say it's worth negotiating with him.

To my understanding it would require a first round pick no matter what, as he will be a restricted free agent this season (as opposed to an unrestricted free agent). It was the same scenario with Vincent Jackson a few years ago when he sat out, the problem being then to land a restricted free agent it would cost teams a 1st rounder and a 3rd rounder and no one wanted to pay it.

Its makes the most sense for the Pats to go after him since they have 2 1st rounders.

No it doesn't. They just tagged Welker. You think they have the funds to pay Wallace? They need to spend their remaining cap on defense anyways.

According to Schefter, Marques Colston looks to be parting ways with the Saints. We could also draft the best available WR in the second.

Unless someone ridiculously talented falls to the second round unexpectedly (i.e. Floyd), I would rather we go with one of the DTs in the second. Mike Mayock said during the combine that more of them have first round grades than will actually be drafted in the first round, so we could get a potential first round talent in the early second.

To my understanding it would require a first round pick no matter what, as he will be a restricted free agent this season (as opposed to an unrestricted free agent). It was the same scenario with Vincent Jackson a few years ago when he sat out, the problem being then to land a restricted free agent it would cost teams a 1st rounder and a 3rd rounder and no one wanted to pay it.

Well then it's definitely not worth as our only 1st round pick is the #1 overall pick, and we ain't trading that one away.

Just a random thought, but how much would it take to move up just 2 spots to the very end of the 1st round and use that 1st rounder on Mike Wallace? Is that possible? We're probably going to lose Reggie and I'd rather pay Wallace big time $$$ than Garcon.

No it doesn't. They just tagged Welker. You think they have the funds to pay Wallace? They need to spend their remaining cap on defense anyways.

I believe they were 20 million under last time I checked. Welker will get a new deal which will lower that cap hit too.

If they miss out on Carr and Williams (who will both be in high demand and come with a massive price tag in their own right) it wouldnt be out of the question for them to add Wallace and look to the draft for some defensive help.

They need defensive help but there are less good defensive players in FA this year than offensive players so they will have alot of competition for those guys.

The 9ers are also a team who could go after Wallace.

That could be scary - circa Randy Moss and Tom Brady 2007-2008. Mike Wallace is basically the same kind of speedster deep threat Moss was.

He isnt Moss but I agree it would make their offense pretty much impossible to stop (it already is pretty close to that now with a healthy Gronk).

The only problem is its most likely going to require the team going after him to frontload the bonus to this year to prevent the Steelers from matching. Teams like the Pats, Bengals and 9ers I believe have the cap space and draft picks to pull it off.