Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Giants and #2 pick

So giants traded JPP which doesn’t necessarily  mean they will go for Chubb .... JPP doesn’t fit their new scheme and he was a cap casualty. But now their DE Mauro gets a 4 game suspension to start the season due to PED violation .... this leaves them without much pass rush! 

Do you think this gives them even more reason to go in on Chubb?:sigh:

1 hour ago, TdungyW/12 said:

So giants traded JPP which doesn’t necessarily  mean they will go for Chubb .... JPP doesn’t fit their new scheme and he was a cap casualty. But now their DE Mauro gets a 4 game suspension to start the season due to PED violation .... this leaves them without much pass rush! 

Ive kinda been in the boat that thought the giants were always going to go Chubb. Their old regime was always big on pass rush and DL. In free agency and the draft. Part of me wanted to believe that was their old GM, but truthfully it’s a culture thing that starts w ownership and trickles down. 

I think if if they were going to take Chubb before the JPP trade then they will even more now. 

That said, they allegedly knew of Mauro’s impending suspension before signing him. So i don’t think it adds to their chances or changes at all. 

At the end end of the day QBs, pass rushers, lockdown CBs and bigtime LTs are what draw big grade capital. 

So basically it’s all about influencing the passing game. 

My opinion still remains that the Giants either take a QB, trade down for a Kings random as we did, or take Chubb. 

I think those are are the three options in that order. 

Id love for them to take Barkley and help drop QBs and Nelson and Chubb towards our pick to give us options. But I’m not holding my breath

11 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

Ive kinda been in the boat that thought the giants were always going to go Chubb. Their old regime was always big on pass rush and DL. In free agency and the draft. Part of me wanted to believe that was their old GM, but truthfully it’s a culture thing that starts w ownership and trickles down. 

I think if if they were going to take Chubb before the JPP trade then they will even more now. 

That said, they allegedly knew of Mauro’s impending suspension before signing him. So i don’t think it adds to their chances or changes at all. 

At the end end of the day QBs, pass rushers, lockdown CBs and bigtime LTs are what draw big grade capital. 

So basically it’s all about influencing the passing game. 

My opinion still remains that the Giants either take a QB, trade down for a Kings random as we did, or take Chubb. 

I think those are are the three options in that order. 

Id love for them to take Barkley and help drop QBs and Nelson and Chubb towards our pick to give us options. But I’m not holding my breath

I agree with you 100% I hope it goes 

QB

RB/trade-QB

QB

RB

OL

chubb

14 hours ago, TdungyW/12 said:

seems that way....

....if you cant draft a guard at '2'.....it seems that way

On 3/23/2018 at 10:55 PM, TdungyW/12 said:

it might, but it depends on how they feel about him in a 3-4. some guys play fine in either scheme, but chubb seems a bit out of place as a 3-4 olb to me.  

i think we need the giants or whoever picks at 2 to take a QB for us to have any hope of landing chubb.

if the #2 pick is barkley, then the 4 is probably going to be chubb to the browns.  if the #2 pick is a qb, then i think its barkley at 4.  denver would have one last chance to spoil things, but luckily for us they are also 3-4 and have bigger needs on offense 

3 hours ago, aaron11 said:

it might, but it depends on how they feel about him in a 3-4. some guys play fine in either scheme, but chubb seems a bit out of place as a 3-4 olb to me.  

i think we need the giants or whoever picks at 2 to take a QB for us to have any hope of landing chubb.

if the #2 pick is barkley, then the 4 is probably going to be chubb to the browns.  if the #2 pick is a qb, then i think its barkley at 4.  denver would have one last chance to spoil things, but luckily for us they are also 3-4 and have bigger needs on offense 

If 1-3 go QB like expected then 4 will be barkley and Broncos should go Nelson or a QB since they need both

With RB salaries low enough, paying someone $5-6 mil. a year as a rookie would be like paying a mid-tier RB right off the bat. Look at Dion Lewis signing for close to $20 mil. for 4 years.

So, from a value proposition, given how much pass rushers and QBs and even OL are paid, the odds are in favor of the QB position being picked 1-3, IMO. Yes, you will have more swings and misses on the QB position but then, if they hit, it will cost them very little for someone on contract for 5 years compared to market rates.

That is why I feel, 1-3 will be QB and I agree that Barkley will not go earlier than 4 for those reasons. But then, the Giants and Broncos could swing a trade too, I don't think we are done yet with the trading madness. :) 

• Like 5

On 3/26/2018 at 12:24 PM, chad72 said:

With RB salaries low enough, paying someone $5-6 mil. a year as a rookie would be like paying a mid-tier RB right off the bat. Look at Dion Lewis signing for close to $20 mil. for 4 years.

So, from a value proposition, given how much pass rushers and QBs and even OL are paid, the odds are in favor of the QB position being picked 1-3, IMO. Yes, you will have more swings and misses on the QB position but then, if they hit, it will cost them very little for someone on contract for 5 years compared to market rates.

That is why I feel, 1-3 will be QB and I agree that Barkley will not go earlier than 4 for those reasons. But then, the Giants and Broncos could swing a trade too, I don't think we are done yet with the trading madness. :) 

Well said. I agree the percentages are high for the Giants to take a QB at #2. They likely won’t have this chance again for a while. Eli is fading. It just makes sense. 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2018 at 4:08 PM, Hoose said:

Well said. I agree the percentages are high for the Giants to take a QB at #2. They likely won’t have this chance again for a while. Eli is fading. It just makes sense. 

I agree, if... they truly believe one of the remaining QB's (after Dorsey chooses one) can be groomed to be their franchise QB (as being much better than Davis Webb) for the next 10-15 years as Eli's replacement.

If they do not think one of those guys will be a 10-15 year QB, then take BPA, groom Davis Webb further,  and maybe get a Mike White, Mason Rudolph, or Luke Falk later to compete with Webb or be his backup after Manning, if necessary.

I think this years QB group as a whole has been a trifle over hyped, all of them can't turn out to be that good but time will tell. Let's see how the NY football Giants/Gettleman play this.

I think regardless of what happens a QB will be selected #2 overall.

Either the Giants are going to take a QB, or they will trade out to highest bidder. Most likely Buffalo, who would want to jump division rival Jets for choice of QB.

So, QB's 1-3, possibly #4 if Browns get an offer they cant refuse from Miami or Arizona, wanting to jump Denver.

4 hours ago, w87r said:

I think regardless of what happens a QB will be selected #2 overall.

Either the Giants are going to take a QB, or they will trade out to highest bidder. Most likely Buffalo, who would want to jump division rival Jets for choice of QB.

So, QB's 1-3, possibly #4 if Browns get an offer they cant refuse from Miami or Arizona, wanting to jump Denver.

I don't see the Giants trading out of pick #2.

From what the rumors are is the Jets offered the Giants the same deal as they offered the Colts, and were turned down.

46 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't see the Giants trading out of pick #2.

From what the rumors are is the Jets offered the Giants the same deal as they offered the Colts, and were turned down.

They may not trade out, but if they stay it's for a QB.

#2 is worth more than #3, I'm not surprised they would turn the same trade offer down. Would've been next years 1st plus. Looking at trade value it is pretty close to #2 value(2600) on charts. Jets offer to us and presumably NYG first.(2730) *2019 2nd valued at 16th pick of 3rd round in 2018(190)*

Saying that, it will take Buffalo giving up 3 1st plus a couple picks to get to #2.

#2(2600)

#12(1200), #22(780), #53(370), 2019 1st(420) plus probably an additional pick. 

2600-2770

Adding #56(340) would get it up to 3100.

Probably would take something like this to pry that pick away from NYG. Maybe even more.

Like I said, either they are taking a QB or they will get an offer to good to pass on.

All this is my opinion of course.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

They may not trade out, but if they stay it's for a QB.

#2 is worth more than #3, I'm not surprised they would turn the same trade offer down. Would've been next years 1st plus. Looking at trade value it is pretty close to #2 value(2600) on charts. Jets offer to us and presumably NYG first.(2730) *2019 2nd valued at 16th pick of 3rd round in 2018(190)*

Saying that, it will take Buffalo giving up 3 1st plus a couple picks to get to #2.

#2(2600)

#12(1200), #22(780), #53(370), 2019 1st(420) plus probably an additional pick. 

2600-2770

Adding #56(340) would get it up to 3100.

Probably would take something like this to pry that pick away from NYG. Maybe even more.

Like I said, either they are taking a QB or they will get an offer to good to pass on.

All this is my opinion of course.

The thing about 'trade numbers' are they are thrown out the window if a certain player is wanted bad enough by a team.

I see them take a QB (if they feel there is a franchise guy there), or Chubb.  Otherwise they may well trade out if a good enough offer has been made for it.

GM thinking is usually you don't trade back if a Franchise QB is there you might need soon (even an Aaron Rodgers when you have Favre), or a Gold Jacket capable player is there. And don't give up easily on talent.

Look....if the Giants are passing on a QB because the aren't sure if one available is the right guy, then they have to at least expect to be in the top 3 again next year because #2 spots only come along when you have a very bad record. 

Confident they'll take a QB. 

I believe at least 3 QB's are taken before us.  So what does Cleveland do with their other pick and do the Giants go QB or somewhere else?  I don't see Nelson getting past Denver, I just don't.  Going to be very interesting for sure.  Hopefully I'll get to go in person because I'll be in Dallas that weekend!