Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Coaching Will Revive Old Players

SubZero

With Pagano and Manusky in house i think that alot of "washed up" players will turn out to be helpful. Larry Coyers cover 2 i dont think helped out alot of other players and these players will benefit.

Philip Wheeler: He was drafted in the 3rd round a couple years ago and looked pretty promising. He was a very good blitzing linebacker with very good speed. In cover 2 linebackers are asked to cover alot and thats is one of Wheelers downsides. I think if they included him at OLB and some blitzing packages then he will have alot of success.

Jerry Hughes: He looks lost in our defense. He doesnt have good spark off the snap. But at a 3-4 OLB then i think he can prosper. He had good drills at the 2010 combine as a standup rusher. He has tools with speed, quickness, and handwork he just needs some good coaching and a good system.

Fili Moala: Moala was drafted in the second round hoping to help out the team with a dire need at DT. He really hasnt lived up but i think he needs team help. Hes never worked with a good DT or with good runstopping DEs. He gains attention in the double team and is the best run stopping DT. If paired up with a good NT and he is moved to DE then he will create havok.

I am interested in the logic of it, because if we do resign Mathis, that defense seems crowded with Hughes, Freeney, Connor, Wheeler, Angerer, Brackett. One of these guys seem to be the odd one out in the 3-4 cause I see Freeney as the only that can switch to being a 3-4 DE, I would like to have Hughes and Mathis on the outside, Angerer and Brackett on the inside and sub in Connor and Wheeler. And I think Moala would be an adequate 3-4 DE, Dontari Poe would be great in this defense if we could get him.

Well, in the presser by Pagano, he did indicate we would be a hybrid,,,,meaning the team would use the strengths of who is on the team worth keeping, and use the defensive style that matches up the best each Sunday. However, it does seem logical that at least one 320+ NT is on their radar. The one FA defender that is the least likely to accept anything less than his absolute top value is Mathis. This IS his payday.

I am interested in the logic of it, because if we do resign Mathis, that defense seems crowded with Hughes, Freeney, Connor, Wheeler, Angerer, Brackett. One of these guys seem to be the odd one out in the 3-4 cause I see Freeney as the only that can switch to being a 3-4 DE, I would like to have Hughes and Mathis on the outside, Angerer and Brackett on the inside and sub in Connor and Wheeler. And I think Moala would be an adequate 3-4 DE, Dontari Poe would be great in this defense if we could get him.

With Brackett's salary he may be the odd man out. Wheeler can play inside and blitz from there.

Oobie... great topic.. I agree.. we have talent on this team and getting new/different coaching I feel we make a huge difference ..

I wouldn't be surprised if they get Garay from San Diego for NT.. if not we have a shot at 3 in the draft POE Will Not Be there..

How do feel about our DB's with the new coaches and scheme?

How do you feel about our OL.. with the new coaches.. do you think Quin Ojinnaka could come in and start on the right side to protect the QB an help open up the running game?

Lots of interesting possibilities, that's for sure.

It will be all but impossible to land Poe without trading the Luck pick.

Oobie... great topic.. I agree.. we have talent on this team and getting new/different coaching I feel we make a huge difference ..

I wouldn't be surprised if they get Garay from San Diego for NT.. if not we have a shot at 3 in the draft POE Will Not Be there..

How do feel about our DB's with the new coaches and scheme?

How do you feel about our OL.. with the new coaches.. do you think Quin Ojinnaka could come in and start on the right side to protect the QB an help open up the running game?

Why would they start Ojinnaka at RT when they have two 2nd yr. bookends that were pretty good last yr,? Sure, we didn't get a big sample size of Ijalana before he was injured, but the time he did play, he was impressive IMO. I liked Ojinnaka and think they should keep him but only as a backup.

so do you feel that with new coaches we will be Ok on the line knowing that we had injuries and being a new front? I thought most people felt Link was a bust? Rietz didn't seem to be impressive by most.. there again young and OL Coaching and no preseason may have impacted this greatly...

Yeah I realize it would be far fetched to get Poe at this point in time, If we can't get a decent NT in the second round, I think Janoris Jenkins would still be available, I know he has attitude problems but Pagano did work with Jimmy Smith last year and he didn't seem to have a lot of problems off the field

Sadly this. His crushing the combine like a boss shot him up every mock draft I've seen to the point where he's now projected (by some) as a mid first rounder.

Also, isn't Garay the guy that ragdolled Linkenbach into Manning for the sack a few years back? If so, yes, please sign.

so do you feel that with new coaches we will be Ok on the line knowing that we had injuries and being a new front? I thought most people felt Link was a bust? Rietz didn't seem to be impressive by most.. there again young and OL Coaching and no preseason may have impacted this greatly...

As far as I'm concerned, the sooner we part ways with both Diem and Linkenbach, the better off we'll be. In the case of Linkenbach, I'd pack his bags for him if it sped the process up.

I'm interested to see how Nevis in the middle works out in a 3 4 D.

Hughes is going to need to find a niche this season or he's done in Indy. A new system will give him a shot, but it's on him.

The secondary is my biggest concern on D, and I dunno how well they'll be able to do in the draft. Hopefully we move away from small and unsure tacklers in favor of speed.

I think were stacked at LB, and it would take a top tier talent to mess with that group. What's going to happen to Simms?

Dwight Freeney is not changing positions, is he?

Well who knows, personally I think he is too light to be a 3-4 DE, but Pagano wants a hybrid defense so he may go back and forth between 3-4 OLB that rushes 95% of the time, and a 4-3 DE

following up on this more. . .What are the possibilities for Dwight to play standing up rushing the passer, would he accel using his quickness or will this allow the o-line do better defend him?

Well who knows, personally I think he is too light to be a 3-4 DE, but Pagano wants a hybrid defense so he may go back and forth between 3-4 OLB that rushes 95% of the time, and a 4-3 DE

Is 290 too light...we cant play 3 defensive tackles....

Maybe on first down...

But I like the idea of him working against a guard on early downs because the tackle has to deal with the OLB

following up on this more. . .What are the possibilities for Dwight to play standing up rushing the passer, would he accel using his quickness or will this allow the o-line do better defend him?

I believe with his speed and quickness he could be very effective being a stand up rusher and with the 3-4 I see Freeney lined up all over the field, like a Terrell Suggs

Is 290 too light...we cant play 3 defensive tackles.... Maybe on first down... But I like the idea of him working against a guard on early downs because the tackle has to deal with the OLB

well Freeney isn't 290, he is 268 and that is too light to be a 3-4 DE, at least exclusively. But I would rather have 3 big guys on the front line and Freeney and Mathis rushing the qb inside and outside than what we have been doing