Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What If Nothing Happens On March 8?

oldunclemark

They an agree to extend the deadline and not tell us because they dont want the public to be doing the doomsday countdown we've been doing.......

..again..how will we know..?

//

You have to file it with the league office and once you do that it becomes a public document and the media can look at it. That's why teams don't hide stuff like this because they can't.

They an agree to extend the deadline and not tell us because they dont want the public to be doing the doomsday countdown we've been doing.......

..again..how will we know..?

//

If they pay the $28 million, it's a formal transaction and has to be announced to the league

If they release Manning, it's a formal transaction and has to be announced to the league

If they postpone the contract it's a formal transaction and has to be announced to the league (not even sure this one is legally possible under the CBA, but it still would have to be reported to the league)

going from march 8 to jersey numbers. we'll I jumped in to so I can't complain.

So since everything rides on March 8, perhaps he should go with that, because his career could be defined by the precise date of MARCH 8th.

And so it will be, Andrew Luck will wear #8 due to this date being so critical to all parties and especially him.

What if March 8 come and goes with nothing from Manning and nothing but

esoteric tweets from Irsay....

...would the next deal be the start of the 2012 NFL year...(March 13?)

or the draft (April 26?)

It has been pointed out to me that the March 8 date is an arbitrary agreement between two parties and

what if they both simply ignore it??

I would be here, eating my popcorn, watching the mayhem and laughing my tuchas off. One thing I am fairly sure of....we will have a very good QB under center in week one. Life is good.

I watched John Elway play in college and felt he was the best player to come out in his draft year. I also watched Dan Marino play and felt he was the second best player that year. Marino was downgraded by scouts that year because of his completion percentage but anyone who watched tape of his games could see his passes were on target. Marino's receivers dropped a lot of his passes. After watching tape of RGIII and Luck I have the same feeling about both of them as I did about Elway and Marino before. RGIII and Luck are two outstanding athletes and QBs. Luck should go first to the Colts and RGIII with the second pick. If RGIII doesn't go second he will be the steal of the draft. If the Colts pass on Luck it will be the biggest mistake of this draft. Teams must aquire the most blue chip players they can to win a SB and this year Luck is the best of the best. I love Peyton as my second most favorite player of all time behind only Unitas. I suffered when Unitas was let go. I was a teenager then and loved football as a game and did not think of it as a business. I would hate to see Peyton go but it is time because Luck should be the Colts pick. Luck says he will sit but he should be allowed to compete for the starting job. If Peyton stays and is not 100%, Luck would probably win the job. Peyton then would fracture the team with some players choosing him and some choosing Luck. The Colts should cut as much dead weight as possible and move on.

Then Manning is a free agent and we get hit with a 28 million dollar "non-exercise fee" So they simply won't/can't ignore it!

"Non-exercise fee

Were the Colts to not exercise the $28 million option by March 8th, there is a non-exercise fee of that same $28 million due two days before the 2012 League Year, March 11th.

Translation: the Colts cannot simply let the option date pass without action; to do so would put them on the hook for the same amount and not have Manning. They will have to take the affirmative step of, yes, releasing Peyton Manning."

It might help if you reviewed these:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Peyton-Predicament-Part-1.html

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Peyton-Predicament-Part-2.html

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Peyton-Predicament-Part-3.html

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Peyton-Predicament-Part-4.html

Ok so as long as they formally release him. What's stopping them from signing him again?

Ok so as long as they formally release him. What's stopping them from signing him again?

Him wanting to see what is available to him on the open market... he can freely talk with other teams then and they can offer something that might be more appealing to him in a number of areas.

Him wanting to see what is available to him on the open market... he can freely talk with other teams then and they can offer something that might be more appealing to him in a number of areas.

That's fine to me if that's what he wants to do but we've seen no evidence he wants to play for anyone else.

I've heard the Colts salary cap is a little over 100 million $$. Keeping PM and drafting AL would mean we pay 2 players $50M. That's just not good business. The only way we all win is if PM retires, which is exactly what he should do. He doesn't need a paycheck. He's made that obvious. ESPN, CBS and the NFL channel are probably all holding a spot for him. I hope he doesn't wear another jersey.

New subject..... Does anyone else feel like an "Andrew Luck Plan" was put in place the minute he decided to stay at Stanford? Why else would the most competitve owner in the NFL allow a QB like Painter to play and lose as long he did? Collins was the worst investment I've ever seen in the NFL. Orlavsky could have easily won 8 games, which probably makes the playoffs in the AFC. Did the Colts dump last season? I think it's quite obvious. I just hope it pays off. AND WHY IS PAINTER STILL EMPLOYED?

I've heard the Colts salary cap is a little over 100 million $$. Keeping PM and drafting AL would mean we pay 2 players $50M. That's just not good business. The only way we all win is if PM retires, which is exactly what he should do. He doesn't need a paycheck. He's made that obvious. ESPN, CBS and the NFL channel are probably all holding a spot for him. I hope he doesn't wear another jersey.

New subject..... Does anyone else feel like an "Andrew Luck Plan" was put in place the minute he decided to stay at Stanford? Why else would the most competitve owner in the NFL allow a QB like Painter to play and lose as long he did? Collins was the worst investment I've ever seen in the NFL. Orlavsky could have easily won 8 games, which probably makes the playoffs in the AFC. Did the Colts dump last season? I think it's quite obvious. I just hope it pays off. AND WHY IS PAINTER STILL EMPLOYED?

That 50 million figure is actual cash and not the salary cap #, That would be around 21.2 million, but still not "good business".

I'm not buying the conspiracy figure. Players wouldn't buy into it and if that were the plan Polian and Caldwell would still have jobs.

If they pay the $28 million, it's a formal transaction and has to be announced to the league

If they release Manning, it's a formal transaction and has to be announced to the league

If they postpone the contract it's a formal transaction and has to be announced to the league (not even sure this one is legally possible under the CBA, but it still would have to be reported to the league)

P & E

Certainly No.1 is true..and obviously No. 2 is very true...

But I dont think No.3 is true at all...and what would the penalty be anyway?

We all know what they're trying to do.

Or terms they've already agreed to but cant announce until after the start of the next NFL year..

..which I believe is March 13...

....Its pretty obvious what they're trying to do..

No Mark, nothing is pretty obvious about this situation.

If they had agreed to terms, then he would have been released and resigned in the same day there would be no need to wait for the 2012 league year.

What you feel is "pretty obvious" has nothing to do with reality. It's all your opinion that you try to state as a fact.

No Mark, nothing is pretty obvious about this situation.

If they had agreed to terms, then he would have been released and resigned in the same day there would be no need to wait for the 2012 league year.

What you feel is "pretty obvious" has nothing to do with reality. It's all your opinion that you try to state as a fact.

Just going by what you said. You're the 'cap genius'.

You said they cannot renegotiate a contract signed in the same year.

Cutting and ressigning a a dodge on renegotiating. right?

Its obvious they want to resign him. I know you cant see that buy you will./

Otherwise there'd simply have parted company with him the way they did with your man Caldwell..

I would say they would resign him under the right circumstances, but I'm not sure he would sign under those same circumstances. It's far more complicated than you are willing to believe.

If he ends up being released, there are reasons for the delay from the team's perspective.

Just going by what you said. You're the 'cap genius'.

You said they cannot renegotiate a contract signed in the same year.

Cutting and ressigning a a dodge on renegotiating. right?

In my opinion they can't alter the due date. Some contracts can be renegotiated in some aspects but I do not see this as being one based on the timing of the payment and the accounting that took place in the 2011 salary cap.

If he were released today, he could be signed by Miami, Arizona or the Colts 3 minutes later for example. Just like the Raider DB that was released, he's already signed by the Chiefs and didn't have to wait for Free agency like the other free agents who had their contracts expired. Releasing him is terminating the contract.

I would say they would resign him under the right circumstances, but I'm not sure he would sign under those same circumstances. It's far more complicated than you are willing to believe.

If he ends up being released, there are reasons for the delay from the team's perspective.

In my opinion they can't alter the due date. Some contracts can be renegotiated in some aspects but I do not see this as being one based on the timing of the payment and the accounting that took place in the 2011 salary cap.

If he were released today, he could be signed by Miami, Arizona or the Colts 3 minutes later for example. Just like the Raider DB that was released, he's already signed by the Chiefs and didn't have to wait for Free agency like the other free agents who had their contracts expired. Releasing him is terminating the contract.

I will take your word that the NFL would not see cutting Manning in THIS NFL year and resigning him immeddiately in THIS NFL year

as a renegotiation...

I know its complicated.....

can I ask what your history is in this?...//You sound like a Colts employee..I was not being sarcastic..

I will take your word that the NFL would not see cutting Manning in THIS NFL year and resigning him immeddiately in THIS NFL year

as a renegotiation...

I know its complicated.....

can I ask what your history is in this?...//You sound like a Colts employee..I was not being sarcastic..

Once he's cut, he's an unrestricted free agent. Free to sign with whatever team he agrees to terms with. The one difference is that the Colts will have the accelerated cap hit that would make identical deals with say Miami and Indy harder for Indy to fit under the cap due to the acceleration.

I'm not employed by the Colts.

Mark - you do realize that the March 8th date is part of a formal contract that was signed, right? I don't see how you can alter anything in a contract without registering it with the league.

I'm not an employee of the NFL but extending a deadline is altering a contract?

They'd have to say that. I dont know their rules as well as some here

But I've heard of labor law and there has to be a complaining party...

Its like a labor agreement where one side says they'll strike on March 8...

If they make an agreement to move the strike date back a week comes and neither side objects.....

.they dont have to explain it to the labor relations board or anyone. They are the two interested parties

....What's the NFL going to do if the COLTS simply wait until March 13 (the new NFL YEAR) to announce a deal.

...what is the penalty?

I'm not an employee of the NFL but extending a deadline is altering a contract?

They'd have to say that. I dont know their rules as well as some here

But I've heard of labor law and there has to be a complaining party...

Its like a labor agreement where one side says they'll strike on March 8...

If they make an agreement to move the strike date back a week comes and neither side objects.....

.they dont have to explain it to the labor relations board or anyone. They are the two interested parties

....What's the NFL going to do if the COLTS simply wait until March 13 (the new NFL YEAR) to announce a deal.

...what is the penalty?

Not the same thing. A planned strike is a verbal threat, it's not in a formal contract. My understanding is that this is part of the actual contract. You don't do verbal or handshake deals when $28 million is at stake.

If the Colts don't pay the $28 million or release Manning and just pretend it's not there, they actually end up having to legally pay Manning $28 million and still have him end up as free agent.

Not the same thing. A planned strike is a verbal threat, it's not in a formal contract. My understanding is that this is part of the actual contract. You don't do verbal or handshake deals when $28 million is at stake.

If the Colts don't pay the $28 million or release Manning and just pretend it's not there, they actually end up having to legally pay Manning $28 million and still have him end up as free agent.

Exactly.

They can't ignore it.

So I'll copy my first post in this thread again in hopes that it helps.

Then Manning is a free agent and we get hit with a 28 million dollar "non-exercise fee" So they simply won't/can't ignore it!

"Non-exercise fee

Were the Colts to not exercise the $28 million option by March 8th, there is a non-exercise fee of that same $28 million due two days before the 2012 League Year, March 11th.

Translation: the Colts cannot simply let the option date pass without action; to do so would put them on the hook for the same amount and not have Manning. They will have to take the affirmative step of, yes, releasing Peyton Manning."

http://www.nationalf...ent-Part-1.html

http://www.nationalf...ent-Part-2.html

http://www.nationalf...ent-Part-3.html

http://www.nationalf...ent-Part-4.html

Mark, I think you would find it beneficial to read those 4 links.

"Non-exercise fee

http://www.nationalf...ent-Part-1.html

http://www.nationalf...ent-Part-2.html

http://www.nationalf...ent-Part-3.html

http://www.nationalf...ent-Part-4.html

See there?

And some thought there could be nothing worse than paying both Peyton & Luck to be on the roster.

Fools.

There's always something worse.

See there?

And some thought there could be nothing worse than paying both Peyton & Luck to be on the roster.

Fools.

There's always something worse.

Yes, what is worse is if the Colts stick their head in the sand and pretend that reality is not occurring.

They need to act...either release PM or pick up the option.