CR91 Full offseason mock and draft

Colts Projected Cap Space 82 Mil

Colt's Free Agent Resign

Barkevious Mingo 2yr 4mil

Adam Vinatieri 2yr 4mil

Pierre Desir 1yr 2mil

Donte Moncrief 1yr 3mil

Jack mewhort 1 year 3mil

As much as I don't think ballard will resign mewhort or even if mewhort will ever play again, im willing to give him a one year deal just to see if can play a season without getting hurt. Melvin has proven he can a very good CB1, but I don't think ballard will give the type of contract melvin will be looking for because of one good season. I am giving moncrief one more year to prove he deserves a big contract. I'm gonna let this year go as the whole offense struggled. Gore imo doesn't fit mcdaniels offense. He likes scatbacks with a goalline back to pound the ball which we already have with turbin.

Colts Cap Space 70 mil

Colts Free Agent Signings

Andrew Norwell G 5yr 60 mil 30g

Demario Davis ILB 4yr 40 mil 17g

Todd Davis ILB 2yr 10 mil 5g

Dion Lewis RB 3yr 25 mil 13g

Jarvis Landry 5 year 55 mil 25 g

I really don't wanna make norwell the highest paid G, but I do think there will be a bidding war for him and we need to protect luck. Not sure if davis will leave NY, but he would be a great addition to our defense along with todd davis adding good depth., I wouldnt be surprised if mcdaniels brings lewis with him. He likes using multiple backs and I think him and mack would be dangerous together. Landry is the wildcard. Do I think the dolphins will let him walk? no, but I don't they want to tag him and pay him 10-12 mil for one season and current contract talks are not going well. Landry imo would be perfect in mcdaniels offense because of his great ability of working in space in the slot while averaging 100 catches a season, but also being able to stretch the field.

Colts Cap Space 23.5 Mil

Colts Draft

We trade back twice with the jets to get a QB and then with the bucs to get barkley. We get the jets 2nd and 3rd round pick and bucs 2nd and 4th round pick. Trade up with the pats for their 1st in exchange for the jets 2nd and our 4th

1. Minkah Fitzpatrick CB Alabama

Yes I know Fitzpatrick is a S, however he has played CB and I believe this is a transition worth taking a gamble for as this would make our secondary extremely formidable with wilson geathers hooker fitzpatrick.

1.Arden Key DE LSU

If it wasn't for his off the field issues and injuries, he would be a top 10 pick.

2.Orlando Brown T Oklahoma

Powerful blocker, but needs to work on his pass blocking

2.Malik Jefferson  ILB Texas

Reminds me of Deion Jones. Had 110 tackles and four sacks, but needs to work on pass coverage.

3.Braden Smith G Auburn

Very good at run blocking and passing block, just not great.

3.Leighton Vander Esch ILB Boise State

Had a great season 2017 with 141 tackles 4 sacks and 3 ints

4.Dante Pettis WR Washington

Shifty, good hands, dangerous in space basically mcdaniels type of wr

5.Ian Thomas TE Indiana

Really nice size and hands. Not overly productive, but did score 5 tds

6.Ralph Webb RB Vanderbilt

Down season for Webb, however he did score 10 tds and the previous season he rushed for almost 1300 yards and 13 tds

7.Drue Tranquill S Notre Dame

One of the only birght spots of the notre dame defense with very good size and a good tackler

I think we keep our 7 top FA's Those 5 plus Melvin and Person. Moncrief checks all Ballard's boxes and should fit nicely into McDaniels system I think he get another year. Ballard preaches building with our guys I think it sends the wrong message to let Melvin go. He also checks Ballard's CB boxes. Person offers position flexibility and we can't let anyone get away that can block even a little on the interior.

FA's love the positions addressed. I'm not a Landry fan, don't think we spend the kind of money on a G it'll take for Norwell. I want him and he fills a big need but don't see it. Matthews at 6'3 fits the big WR mold. The G's I think we pursue are Cooper and Kelemete. Todd Davis has Ballard written all over him I could definitely see this. I'm buying Hitchens coming with the DC too. Lewis makes sense Josh will want another player familiar with what he does. I think we look for pass rush help 

If we can pull off this draft I'd be happy. You have a lot of the guys I am looking at Jefferson Smith Pettis I don't need convincing on Fitzpatrick or Key.  I have most going earlier then you but not by much. The first 4 guys could be 1st rounders. I think Pettits could climb when he runs especially if he runs the predicted 4.3 40 time. I'd be happy with this draft. 

This is a really interesting effort. Good reading. Thanks CR 91. I’m curious how you see the first round of the draft playing out for the first 6 picks ahead of where the Colts would choose with the TB pick. I’m all in for Chubb but can see a slight trade back working and still getting him. 

2 hours ago, Hoose said:

This is a really interesting effort. Good reading. Thanks CR 91. I’m curious how you see the first round of the draft playing out for the first 6 picks ahead of where the Colts would choose with the TB pick. I’m all in for Chubb but can see a slight trade back working and still getting him. 

Thanks! I really do see 4 QBs going within the first six picks. Darnold to browns, Rosen to giants, Mayfield to jets, browns take chubb unfortunately, broncos take Josh Allen, bucs take Barkley

8 hours ago, akcolt said:

I think we keep our 7 top FA's Those 5 plus Melvin and Person. Moncrief checks all Ballard's boxes and should fit nicely into McDaniels system I think he get another year. Ballard preaches building with our guys I think it sends the wrong message to let Melvin go. He also checks Ballard's CB boxes. Person offers position flexibility and we can't let anyone get away that can block even a little on the interior.

FA's love the positions addressed. I'm not a Landry fan, don't think we spend the kind of money on a G it'll take for Norwell. I want him and he fills a big need but don't see it. Matthews at 6'3 fits the big WR mold. The G's I think we pursue are Cooper and Kelemete. Todd Davis has Ballard written all over him I could definitely see this. I'm buying Hitchens coming with the DC too. Lewis makes sense Josh will want another player familiar with what he does. I think we look for pass rush help 

If we can pull off this draft I'd be happy. You have a lot of the guys I am looking at Jefferson Smith Pettis I don't need convincing on Fitzpatrick or Key.  I have most going earlier then you but not by much. The first 4 guys could be 1st rounders. I think Pettits could climb when he runs especially if he runs the predicted 4.3 40 time. I'd be happy with this draft. 

This is Melvin's one shot to get a big money contract and I doubt Ballard is willing to pay him because of one good season. We can resign persons. That won't break the bank. Landry imo would be that weapon luck needs on third down that he hasn't had since Wayne. I don't wanna play norwell that kind of money either, however that is what it will take to get him. Hitchens is nice, but with sheard Simon basham and drafting key, I think we're fine. 

Some of those picks are projected to go a littler sooner (e.g. Leighton Vander Esch) and currently rising. Fitzpatrick is a common pick for the Browns at 4. I like some of the signings but I think Ballard will be conservative and only make  one big splash in FA.

12 hours ago, CR91 said:

Colt's Free Agent Resign

Adam Vinatieri 2yr 4mil

Pierre Desir 1yr 2mil

Donte Moncrief 1yr 3mil

Jack mewhort 1 year 3mil

As much as I don't think ballard will resign mewhort or even if mewhort will ever play again, im willing to give him a one year deal just to see if can play a season without getting hurt. Melvin has proven he can a very good CB1, but I don't think ballard will give the type of contract melvin will be looking for because of one good season. I am giving moncrief one more year to prove he deserves a big contract. I'm gonna let this year go as the whole offense struggled. Gore imo doesn't fit mcdaniels offense. He likes scatbacks with a goalline back to pound the ball which we already have with turbin.

Colts Cap Space 70 mil

I really don't wanna make norwell the highest paid G, but I do think there will be a bidding war for him and we need to protect luck. Not sure if davis will leave NY, but he would be a great addition to our defense along with todd davis adding good depth., I wouldnt be surprised if mcdaniels brings lewis with him. He likes using multiple backs and I think him and mack would be dangerous together. Landry is the wildcard. Do I think the dolphins will let him walk? no, but I don't they want to tag him and pay him 10-12 mil for one season and current contract talks are not going well. Landry imo would be perfect in mcdaniels offense because of his great ability of working in space in the slot while averaging 100 catches a season, but also being able to stretch the field.

Colts Cap Space 23.5 Mil

Colts Draft

We trade back twice with the jets to get a QB and then with the bucs to get barkley. We get the jets 2nd and 3rd round pick and bucs 2nd and 4th round pick. Trade up with the pats for their 1st in exchange for the jets 2nd and our 4th

Yes I know Fitzpatrick is a S, however he has played CB and I believe this is a transition worth taking a gamble for as this would make our secondary extremely formidable with wilson geathers hooker fitzpatrick.

1.Arden Key DE LSU

If it wasn't for his off the field issues and injuries, he would be a top 10 pick.

Reminds me of Deion Jones. Had 110 tackles and four sacks, but needs to work on pass coverage.

3.Braden Smith G Auburn

5.Ian Thomas TE Indiana

Down season for Webb, however he did score 10 tds and the previous season he rushed for almost 1300 yards and 13 tds

One of the only birght spots of the notre dame defense with very good size and a good tackler

I would do a backflip and go streaking in the quad if this happened, however, I think  Key will be drafted sooner than the end of the first and Brown and Vander Esch will both go a full round earlier than you are projecting.  Fun mock up CR91!

I actually think Ballard resigns Melvin.  It would be well deserved, and this I believe will set the tone for current and future players.  I say this because Ballard preached that if you do well and earn what you deserve, then we will take care of our own.  It would show players that the man is true to his word.  Hopefully Melvin will not ask for top 10 kind of money in his position

Minkah has never started at outside corner his entire career. We would take him purely on potential and traits. 

Arden Key won’t go in the 1st because he is bad lol. Have you watched his tape? He gets bodied by TEs regularly. Poor at the point of attack.  He put on weight this season and the loss of speed is noticeable. 

Malik Jefferson is more of an athlete than football player but he has upside..

The rest is pretty decent and I like the FA. 

34 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

Minkah has never started at outside corner his entire career. We would take him purely on potential and traits. 

Arden Key won’t go in the 1st because he is bad lol. Have you watched his tape? He gets bodied by TEs regularly. Poor at the point of attack.  He put on weight this season and the loss of speed is noticeable. 

Malik Jefferson is more of an athlete than football player but he has upside..

The rest is pretty decent and I like the FA. 

Minkah has hooker like ball skills and he can cover rather it's S or CB. Even experts have said he can be just as good at corner. Key will drop because of the injuries this year, but he did have very good season the previous year.

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Minkah has hooker like ball skills and he can cover rather it's S or CB. Even experts have said he can be just as good at corner. Key will drop because of the injuries this year, but he did have very good season the previous year.

We just don’t need two free safeties lol. He can definitely be a successful boundary corner,  but we’ll be drafting on potential there as he really didn’t play that at Alabama. Never started there. 

You didn’t answer my question about watching Key haha. His tape was decent last year, but this year was not impressive at all. Gained weight so he wouldn’t get bullied, but lost his great burst and still isn’t a strong guy. He’s a mingo clone imo. Bad technique and bad at the point of attack.  

2 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

We just don’t need two free safeties lol. He can definitely be a successful boundary corner,  but we’ll be drafting on potential there as he really didn’t play that at Alabama. Never started there. 

You didn’t answer my question about watching Key haha. His tape was decent last year, but this year was not impressive at all. Gained weight so he wouldn’t get bullied, but lost his great burst and still isn’t a strong guy. He’s a mingo clone imo. Bad technique and bad at the point of attack.  

He didn't need to. Alabama had plenty of depth, but when he did play coverage, you can see the instincts to attack the ball, tight coverage, and very fluid. Key again as I said will drop because of his injuries. Yes he had a down season, but I think that has to do with the injuries then his ability. 

17 minutes ago, CR91 said:

He didn't need to. Alabama had plenty of depth, but when he did play coverage, you can see the instincts to attack the ball, tight coverage, and very fluid. Key again as I said will drop because of his injuries. Yes he had a down season, but I think that has to do with the injuries then his ability. 

You’d just think a top 10 pick could have beat out one of the two guys if he was that good.. but yeah he had tight coverage in the slot. Great recovery speed too. 

And I’m guessing you haven’t watched Key lol.  

6 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

You’d just think a top 10 pick could have beat out one of the two guys if he was that good.. but yeah he had tight coverage in the slot. Great recovery speed too. 

And I’m guessing you haven’t watched Key lol.  

I have. I just don't think he should just be graded for one season marred by injuries

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

For Key,  I'd amend that to read....     had to injuries AND attitude.

His character is VERY MUCH in question.

18 hours ago, akcolt said:

I would keep Melvin on a 3 year extention with about 6.5 per.

I’d give Melvin 4 Years $32million $16m guaranteed. That’s fair value. Keep your good ones but don’t be foolish with the $. I think that can get it done and it locks down a position the team really needs. A free agent corner of any decency will cost similar money. Go with what you know. 

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:09 AM, CR91 said:

Colt's Free Agent Resign

Adam Vinatieri 2yr 4mil

Pierre Desir 1yr 2mil

Donte Moncrief 1yr 3mil

Jack mewhort 1 year 3mil

Colts Cap Space 70 mil

Colts Cap Space 23.5 Mil

Colts Draft

1.Arden Key DE LSU

3.Braden Smith G Auburn

5.Ian Thomas TE Indiana

two things I don't like here (an I am ignoring picks 5-7) cause I just don't know enough about those 3 to have an opinion. here are the two things at the top that bother me.

I don't like drafting a guy in round 1 and changing his position I understand he has and could make the transition but why?, there are talented guys in positions of need that we could take.....and the 2nd thing on Arden Key, injuries and off field aside. He is a speed merchant, he rarely uses his hands to disengage from blockers......he would need to learn that to be consistently effected at the next level....

2 hours ago, crunked said:

two things I don't like here (an I am ignoring picks 5-7) cause I just don't know enough about those 3 to have an opinion. here are the two things at the top that bother me.

I don't like drafting a guy in round 1 and changing his position I understand he has and could make the transition but why?, there are talented guys in positions of need that we could take.....and the 2nd thing on Arden Key, injuries and off field aside. He is a speed merchant, he rarely uses his hands to disengage from blockers......he would need to learn that to be consistently effected at the next level....

It's not technically out of position. He's play corner before and he has a lot if corner like traits. He just happens to play S. I do agree Key needs to use his hands, but that first step is almost unblockable. 

On January 26, 2018 at 11:09 PM, CR91 said:

Colt's Free Agent Resign

Adam Vinatieri 2yr 4mil

Pierre Desir 1yr 2mil

Donte Moncrief 1yr 3mil

Jack mewhort 1 year 3mil

Colts Cap Space 70 mil

Colts Cap Space 23.5 Mil

Colts Draft

1.Arden Key DE LSU

3.Braden Smith G Auburn

5.Ian Thomas TE Indiana

You clearly put considerable thought into our roster configuration next yr CR91. Very impressive. If the draft unfolds exactly as you laid it out for INDY, I'd be pleased with it. 

You also presented your draft in an easy to follow manner visually easy for skimming. Nice work! Look, I'm no draft guru. I like where you're leaning though. 

47 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

You clearly put considerable thought into our roster configuration next yr CR91. Very impressive. If the draft unfolds exactly as you laid it out for INDY, I'd be pleased with it. 

You also presented your draft in an easy to follow manner visually easy for skimming. Nice work! Look, I'm no draft guru. I like where you're leaning though. 

I appreciate it. thank you!

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

It's not technically out of position. He's play corner before and he has a lot if corner like traits. He just happens to play S. I do agree Key needs to use his hands, but that first step is almost unblockable. 

True its a technicality, but for me (and just my thought) I don't want a 1st rounder that is "technically" anything other than what he was drafted for.....2nd round on sure.....but I don't want my #1 adjusting to the speed of the NFL, his new city, his new team AND his new position.

On Key he is lightning quick, but he is slight of build, and no hands....reminds me of Mingo, worked great in college, not so much in the pro's ....the rub on that there have been players that HAVE adjusted their game and worked their craft to pick up the hand skills, and spend a little extra time in the weight room and not lost a step.....enter his "issues" doesn't tend to lend to that type of mentality.....

so I guess my only disagreement is Fitzpatrick and moving him to CB, ok (don't love it but ok) and no Key.....or roll the dice with Key and his development and not move Fitzpatrick, but I just can't do both in my mind (maybe that's on me).....but its just too much of an ask for the first two picks, I feel like I need one sure thing out of the two......

but  I will echo others on here when I say, thanks for taking the time to put the OP together a fun read....and who knows we might end up there.........

47 minutes ago, crunked said:

True its a technicality, but for me (and just my thought) I don't want a 1st rounder that is "technically" anything other than what he was drafted for.....2nd round on sure.....but I don't want my #1 adjusting to the speed of the NFL, his new city, his new team AND his new position.

On Key he is lightning quick, but he is slight of build, and no hands....reminds me of Mingo, worked great in college, not so much in the pro's ....the rub on that there have been players that HAVE adjusted their game and worked their craft to pick up the hand skills, and spend a little extra time in the weight room and not lost a step.....enter his "issues" doesn't tend to lend to that type of mentality.....

so I guess my only disagreement is Fitzpatrick and moving him to CB, ok (don't love it but ok) and no Key.....or roll the dice with Key and his development and not move Fitzpatrick, but I just can't do both in my mind (maybe that's on me).....but its just too much of an ask for the first two picks, I feel like I need one sure thing out of the two......

but  I will echo others on here when I say, thanks for taking the time to put the OP together a fun read....and who knows we might end up there.........

it is a gamble, however you never get anywhere in life without taking risks and I believe these are risks worth taking because the reward gives us two cornerstones in our defense, one to make our secondary a major strength and in-essence improves our pass rush which key can take advantage of with his speed. dont forget we have one of the best speed rushers in the history of the nfl on our coaching staff to teach him proper hand usage, speed you can't teach. you can also see what mathis has done with mingo and key can be developed as well. I really do appreciate you enjoyed reading my OP :thmup: 

14 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Take Chubb with a slight trade back and trade back up into the 1st round with the extra picks you got for one of the remaining great O linemen. Much better scenario. 

Only way we get chubb is at 3