Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Daniel Jeremiah's Top 50

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000909727/article/daniel-jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2018-nfl-draft

Here's some interesting things from it from my point of view: Tremaine Edmunds comes at no. 3!!!! After Barkley and Nelson at 1 and 2. Chubb is his no. 4.

Marcus Davenport is no. 10(no other EDGE in top 30, Key - 33, Landry - 39) . Ronald Jones II is RB2 for him and is 12th best prospect in the draft. Connor Williams is OT1 at no. 17, coming right after UCF CB Mike Hughes(I've been hearing that name a lot, I need to check him out). Donte Jackson, CB, LSU is another highly ranked CB that I haven't watched before. WR1 comes at 22 - Calvin Ridley. 

Probably any of those top four would be a good choice.

I can't seem to help preferring Nelson, though.  If he is who they say he is, he is EXACTLY what the Colts' OL needs.  At the same time, though, if the Colts "solve" the OL prior to the draft via Free Agency, then I would be onboard with the Chub selection to help the defense.  As for RB, I can't help but keep thinking THAT position can be solved with lower selections.

I basically remain an advocate of building the trenches.  A game changing ILB would also make a lot of sense.  Such a conundrum.

If somehow Da'ron Payne falls to us in the second rd....I would love to have that guy. He absolutely ate up both Clemson and Georgia. Imaging him next to Wood and Hankins I could get really excited...and he gets after the qb too. If we get Chubb, Edmonds, Nelson impact player with our first pick depending on trades etc and then maybe land Payne in the second I would be so excited. I'm not sure DT is high up on our list but if we get an extra pick from trading back and this guy is on the board when we pick our second pick...I would love to have a player like him. Probably won't fall that far but he is the type of disrupter I like on the inside...shooting gaps and creating havoc.

5 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I can't seem to help preferring Nelson, though.  If he is who they say he is, he is EXACTLY what the Colts' OL needs.  At the same time, though, if the Colts "solve" the OL prior to the draft via Free Agency, then I would be onboard with the Chub selection to help the defense.  As for RB, I can't help but keep thinking THAT position can be solved with lower selections.

I basically remain an advocate of building the trenches.  A game changing ILB would also make a lot of sense.  Such a conundrum.

What I wouldn't give to have the Browns picks huh? Two high first...two high seconds...that kind of ammo with our team and Luck coming back could have us right back in the playoffs in the next year or so...who knows..maybe we trade back and load up on some picks if we get a good offer. So many players that would help us.

13 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I feel the same way, hard to argue either Nelson or Chubb as they seem to be immediate answers to two of the teams biggest deficiencies. I don't get too invested in the arguments or conversations about the draft, but, if Barkley does fall to 3 & Ballard makes the "sexy" pick it'll be hard to get too awfully upset. Especially if a trade back isn't available & if Ballard takes a slightly longer approach to the rebuild...

Who knew picking so high in the draft would create such a perplexing situation...

Wow, This honestly changes how I'm viewing the draft. I genuinely trust DJ's opinion as a scout, and for him to say that Nelson is the second best prospect in this years draft, and the nastiest O-lineman he's ever scouted blew my socks off.

The more I look into the draft, the more I could see the Browns taking Barkley at 1, the Giants a QB at 2, and an all out bidding war start for the Colts at 3. If we can trade back one or two spots with the Broncos or Jets and get Nelson. Hot dawg.

I also found the Sony Michael piece particularly interesting. He seems to be consistently graded out as a late first/early second rounder. I would not be opposed to grabbing him in the second, baring no defensive player slides like Reggie Ragland did a few years back

I think it's kind of odd that he's got at least 6 players ranked ahead of the QB prospects.  If that is close to being true then it wouldn't surprise me to see some of the teams we are thinking will take a QB at #1 or #2 make a selection that may not be a QB.

That's a pretty impressive top five and no QB's made it which really bodes well for us.  If a QB goes ahead of us we should trade back to 5 or 6.  I don't see any downside in doing that.  We will still wind up with a starter in a PON and extra picks to move back into the 1st. rd. if we want or have an extra high pick in the 2nd.  The top 50 I'm most interested in is Bill Polian's.  When it's available I hope someone posts it. 

32 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think it's kind of odd that he's got at least 6 players ranked ahead of the QB prospects.  If that is close to being true then it wouldn't surprise me to see some of the teams we are thinking will take a QB at #1 or #2 make a selection that may not be a QB.

QB is the most important position and there is so big need for them that they will be going much higher at the actual draft than on the big boards. QBs are most likely going #1 and #2. Either to Browns//Giants or team that trades up for them.

Wentz and Goff weren't top 5 prospects on many big boards at this point of the year 2 years ago (including Jeremiahs) but both went in the first 2 picks and teams traded up for them and gave up a lot of draft capital.

not surprised that quentin nelson is his second best player overall. I just don't think he gets picked in the top 5, maybe not even the top 10. he's GREAT. but he's still a guard. Most of the time, he's not even blocking the other teams top pass rusher.

was shocked at Edmunds at number three --- ahead of Chubb? HMMM

I cant find a reason to not take anyone in the top 4, at all. Team needs too much help. FA will help clear the picture, but:

Barkely: Team will have to game plan for him - You gotta take him if there
Nelson: Team wont need to game plan for him, but keeping Luck in 1 piece and as a weapon will mean sleepless nights
Edmunds: Opposing teams might not game plan around him early depending on where he is on the field, but we could certainly around him
Chubb: You're set at the DE position for a while, baring injury

Officially: I think Barkley will be a short term splash, with a 5-6 year window of amazing. Nelson could pay off for the next 10+ years in his position, same for Edmunds and Chubb. I play the long game here, and dont get the flash in the pan but the one player best suited for this team. In what we know of McDaniels, that wont be a #3 overall running back. My preference
Nelson/Chubb 1A/1B
Barkley
Edmunds

11 minutes ago, Finball said:

QB is the most important position and there is so big need for them that they will be going much higher at the actual draft than on the big boards. QBs are most likely going #1 and #2. Either to Browns//Giants or team that trades up for them.

Wentz and Goff weren't top 5 prospects on many big boards at this point of the year 2 years ago (including Jeremiahs) but both went in the first 2 picks and teams traded up for them and gave up a lot of draft capital.

Don't recall Wentz and Goff being anything less than 1 and 2.   Could be mistaken

I'm not surprised Edmunds is getting hyped. The moment I actually sat down to watch him is the moment I realized getting him in the second would be a pipe-dream. He's the youngest player in the whole draft(will still be 19 when he gets drafted) and I'd say his tape is probably on the same level as Roquan(who I love too). So... younger, better size and versatility, similar level tape... if Roquan is getting top 10-15 hype, it was to be expected Edmunds will skyrocket firmly into the top 10.  

3 hours ago, krunk said:

I thought the same thing.  

What if Barkley and Chubb go 1 and 2?  All the QB's will be available.  Do we stay or trade back?  I would like to drop back a little, not too far.  Bills have two first round picks, I could see them trading up.

1 minute ago, Ryan43 said:

What if Barkley and Chubb go 1 and 2?  All the QB's will be available.  Do we stay or trade back?  I would like to drop back a little, not too far.  Bills have two first round picks, I could see them trading up.

Definitely trade back.

59 minutes ago, Ryan43 said:

No brainer.  Trade back.  More than once.  4, 5 and 6.

Said it all along, and sticking with it. Would absolutely LOVE to trade back a few spots and pick Nelson.

You can keep Barkley and Chubb, if I can have Nelson. I want that O-line fixed. It has to be the number one priority. 

For the Barkley cheering section - It doesn't really matter who we have as RB if we don't fix the O-line. Let's be real honest here. How much better would Barkley be able to do, compared to Gore, with the worst O-line in the league?

Let's start with the foundation, before we paint the walls.

Luck with a good O-line would be quite sweet.

With two high second round picks, in case of a trade, we can pick BPA in the second:

EDGE (Key or Landry might very well still be there)

ILB (Rashaan Evans could be there, if he's not then Vander Esch is likely to be the or you could hope to land someone like Jewell in the third round)

RB (Nick Chubb/Kerryon Johnson would probably still be there)

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Thought he was just a change of pace committee back. People seem to believe he’s a true 3-down player who can run inside and out of the tackles and catches. Jeremiah compared him to Kareem Hunt.

His two games in the Championship series vs. Oklahoma and Alabama opened a lot of eyes.

He has zoomed way up.    Kiper and McShay now have him as a first rounder.     I'm surprised that Jeremiah doesn't have him higher.

But beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.

9 hours ago, stitches said:

I'm not surprised Edmunds is getting hyped. The moment I actually sat down to watch him is the moment I realized getting him in the second would be a pipe-dream. He's the youngest player in the whole draft(will still be 19 when he gets drafted) and I'd say his tape is probably on the same level as Roquan(who I love too). So... younger, better size and versatility, similar level tape... if Roquan is getting top 10-15 hype, it was to be expected Edmunds will skyrocket firmly into the top 10.  

I haven't looked at any tape of Edmunds yet....

But....

What I find most interesting is that some view Edmunds as an OLB.     Others like him an an ILB.     And still others think he can play either.

I'm not sure yet if I like that or not.     Probably do.     I just want to make sure that if someone is calling him the 3rd best pick in the draft,  that he does SOMETHING fantastic.      I don't want to use the 3rd pick to take someone who is good at a lot of things,   but great at none of them.