Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Saquon Barkley is a Bo Jackson, Barry Sanders Hybrid! You don't pass on that period!

I trust Ballard to NOT take Barkley at 3. In the 2017 draft he went all Defense and OLine with the first 4 picks. He needs to do the same this year, regardless of who we sign at those positions in free agency. Get quality, depth and competition on D and on OLine. The injuries are going to happen to all teams every year. The ones who can plug in competent players will prevail. Hit RB and WR in the later rounds, because neither of those positions matter a whole lot if your OLine can't block or protect, and your D can't get off the field. 

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/19/2018 at 12:51 AM, akcolt said:

You won't convince the haters and are wasting your time trying. 

some people say dont draft a back early no matter what.  there is no convincing them otherwise 

personally i am leaning towards chubb at the moment, especially if we switch to a 4-3.  i think that would give us a good to great front 4 with him and sheard on the ends and hankins and woods in the middle.

i wont be mad if we take barkley though 

On 1/19/2018 at 12:50 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think some people don't realize how Great Barkley will be. That is the problem. Also we need so much help on Defense that is what people will focus on. I remember back in 1986 we had a crappy QB and an O.Line that couldn't block, we brought Dickerson in and won the AFC East.

Hopefully the new scheme will help out the oline 

On 1/18/2018 at 11:56 PM, KING. said:

I live in PA and watched a ton of Penn State games this year. I agree, Barkley is special and definitely has all the tools to be the best back in football.

I would NEVER want the Colts to go running back that early in the draft, but Barkley is that one exception.

I would be all in if we selected Barkley at 3.

On 1/18/2018 at 11:57 PM, KING. said:

Well, his stats say otherwise.

On 1/19/2018 at 12:06 AM, KING. said:

I'm not concerned about how good players are in college.

How many guys dominant in college and then flop in the NFL. A LOT.

Joey Bosa came in and showed he was worth being a top 10 pick.

Chubb didn't even get drafted yet.

You shouldn't pick a guy solely based on stats, but you know damn well these coaches, scouts, and GM's are looking at everything when it comes to drafting these kids.

So, if I understand you correctly; you are not concerned with how players do in college, but based on his college performance you think Barkley could be the best back in football.

When it's mentioned that Barkley's struggled when the LT went down, according to you the stats say he didn't struggle,

But yet, even though Chubb's college stats are better than Bosa college stats, Chubb is not considered worthy of the third pick because Bosa proved he was worthy of the third pick.?

It was discussed in 2017 that if Chubb had declared for the draft he would have been a top 10 pick and his 2017 season was even more impressive than his 2016 season, it only makes sense that he would be considered a top 10 pick still and most of the things I've read Chubb is considered the BPA in the draft.  

Personally, I would prefer Chubb but I won't be upset either way.  What I do see happening though is Cleveland taking Chubb at #1 (the idea of having Myles Garrett on one side and Bradley Chubb on the other has to have the DC saying, "please, please, please.") and then a few teams offering a Kings ransom to move up to 2 or 3 to grab one of the top 2 QBs.

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

Shurmur has already said they are interested in keeping Eli for another couple.   They had  sorry running game last year so I could see them going for Barkley.

Why not chubb?? JPP is about done?? Pass rushers r more coveted and valuable right?

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

Shurmur has already said they are interested in keeping Eli for another couple.   They had  sorry running game last year so I could see them going for Barkley.

Dorsey will take Barkley at 1 most likely...Colts fans should be thinking Fitzpatrick or trade back..

On 1/24/2018 at 9:12 AM, coltsva said:

I trust Ballard to NOT take Barkley at 3. In the 2017 draft he went all Defense and OLine with the first 4 picks. He needs to do the same this year, regardless of who we sign at those positions in free agency. Get quality, depth and competition on D and on OLine. The injuries are going to happen to all teams every year. The ones who can plug in competent players will prevail. Hit RB and WR in the later rounds, because neither of those positions matter a whole lot if your OLine can't block or protect, and your D can't get off the field. 

Dumb

Just now, jshipp23 said:

Why not chubb?? JPP is about done

Because the Giants had absolutely zero running game last season and Shurmur may want to surround Eli with the strongest offensive guys around him. Eli will be getting Beckham and Shepard back. The Giants were ranked 26 in rushing last season.

10 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Dorsey will take Barkley at 1 most likely...Colts fans should be thinking Fitzpatrick or trade back..

If you don't see the Browns address the QB with a FA then you know they ain't taking Barkley.  It'll be a QB for them most likely.   Dorsey came in the door saying that was the number 1 priority.

16 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Why not chubb?? JPP is about done

Shurmur comes from Minnesota so think about it.   Adrian Peterson.  Plus JPP ain't all the way done so they can get another year or two out of him.   It ain't like us with mostly nobody.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

If you don't see the Browns address the QB with a FA then you know they ain't taking Barkley.  It'll be a QB for them most likely.   Dorsey came in the door saying that was the number 1 priority.

They'll address in free agency with Cousins,  Smith, or dare I say the 1 qb humble enough to succeed there Case Keenum..

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

They'll address in free agency with Cousins,  Smith, or dare I say the 1 qb humble enough to succeed there Case Keenum..

I could see Smith but they've tried that stop gap approach before with RG3 and it cost them Carson Wentz and Goff.   I hadn't really studied this years QBs but if there's anybody there that's close to that then I think they will pull the trigger.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I could see Smith but they've tried that stop gap approach before with RG3 and it cost them Carson Wentz and Goff.   I hadn't really studied this years QBs but if there's anybody there that's close to that then I think they will pull the trigger.

None of the so called top qbs in this draft r worth #1...Allen, Mayfield, and Jackson are all better than the snowflakes with bust written all over them in Rosen and Darnold..

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

But i thought pass rushers are more valuable? Why would smart football people take Barkley when they can get Chubb?

Every team does not build their board or evaluate the same way and you know that.

Scheme in my opinion also plays a great factor in what you do.  There's a decent article on Colts.com today where the following was said:

the Senior Bowl, and among the variety of topics covered included this fan question:

How much "scheme fit" actually impacts the building of your board? For example, can a player significantly more talented be lower on your board compared to other tha isn't as talented but fits your coach's scheme better?

— Philipe Costa (@costaphilipe) January 24, 2018

For Dodds, it’s important not to fall in love with a certain player just because he simply is a good player; he must fit into what the coaching staff needs him to do.

“They have to fit what the coaches see, how they fit into our current system,” Dodds said. “You’re not going to force a guy, just because he’s a great player, on a coaching staff. It won’t work. You know, they have to have a vision for how he’s going to be used, and used to the best of his abilities.”

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Scheme-Fit-A-Top-Priority-For-Colts-In-2018-Draft/445d306b-eb03-48bb-997d-2ad115ca23a6

This can go on the offensive side or defensive side.    But back to what I was saying about the type of offensive scheme we run.  If we envision a RBBC and we don't need someone running 30 times a game do you get a guy who commands the exact opposite?  I won't say it's a complete no but you have to figure it in.

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

They'll throw close to 30 mill per at Cousins just watch. ..

2 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

They'll throw close to 30 mill per at Cousins just watch. ..

This is Dorsey we are talking about here.  I think he'll likely go after the guy he's familiar with which is likely Alex Smith.  You know the guy he's won games with.  If they even get somebody from FA at all.   Hugh Jackson probably wants a guy with some size who can stand back there and sling the deep ball.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Every team does not build their board or evaluate the same way and you know that.

Scheme in my opinion also plays a great factor in what you do.  There's a decent article on Colts.com today where the following was said:

the Senior Bowl, and among the variety of topics covered included this fan question:

How much "scheme fit" actually impacts the building of your board? For example, can a player significantly more talented be lower on your board compared to other tha isn't as talented but fits your coach's scheme better?

For Dodds, it’s important not to fall in love with a certain player just because he simply is a good player; he must fit into what the coaching staff needs him to do.

“They have to fit what the coaches see, how they fit into our current system,” Dodds said. “You’re not going to force a guy, just because he’s a great player, on a coaching staff. It won’t work. You know, they have to have a vision for how he’s going to be used, and used to the best of his abilities.”

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Scheme-Fit-A-Top-Priority-For-Colts-In-2018-Draft/445d306b-eb03-48bb-997d-2ad115ca23a6

This can go on the offensive side or defensive side.    But back to what I was saying about the type of offensive scheme we run.  If we envision a RBBC and we don't need someone running 30 times a game do you get a guy who commands the exact opposite?  I won't say it's a complete no but you have to figure it in.

Ideally no coach wants running back by commitee, those  who use that philosophy do so out of necessity. .

Just now, jshipp23 said:

Ideally no coach wants running back by commitee, those  who use that philosophy do so out of necessity. .

I don't think that is right.  Most of the coaches who I've listen to speak about having more than one back.  I don't know if I agree with that.

9 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Again I definitely won't be mad if we get Barkley, but I have my doubts due to the coaching staff and the scheme.  I won't rule it totally out because it was Mcdaniels who drafted Knowshon Moreno at #12 in the first round.    But I've heard Ballard say in the past if it was close he'd go with something on the lines meaning OL/DL/Pass Rush.  We'll see!  Personally I'd be fine with bringing in Carlos Hyde and drafting Nick Chubb or Rashad Penny and teaming them with Marlon Mack.  Something like that.  Everybody has a different view and that's fine I guess.

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

Again I definitely won't be mad if we get Barkley, but I have my doubts due to the coaching staff and the scheme.  I won't rule it totally out because it was Mcdaniels who drafted Knowshon Moreno at #12 in the first round.    But I've heard Ballard say in the past if it was close he'd go with something on the lines meaning OL/DL/Pass Rush.  We'll see!  Personally I'd be fine with bringing in Carlos Hyde and drafting Nick Chubb or Rashad Penny and teaming them with Marlon Mack.  Something like that.  Everybody has a different view and that's fine I guess.

I have my views, but I just want to win man..If they follow your design and win ill be happy. .

28 minutes ago, krunk said:

I don't see why any coach would envision rbbc if he had a choice..

On 18/01/2018 at 11:26 PM, jshipp23 said:

Got to go ALL IN on Norwell in this scenario...Pugh is the backup if that can't happen..We got to get 1 legit guard and pay him, and hope other is in house or can be developed. ..YOU have to take Barkley if he is there,  BPA IN LAST 5 DRAFTS..He is that RARE. .

barkey will not be there at 3

I'm just not sold on Barkley at 3 yet. Not saying he isn't worthy of the 3rd pick, but not sure he is the best value for OUR team. All this "it's a fact" and "he's a sure thing" stuff has to stop though. At VERY best it's a educated guess, no fact at all in the argument since he hasn't stepped on the field. The speed of the game is a big difference in the pros and that can cause issues with ANYONE. Does he have the tools and potential to be great? Sure, a lot of guys have in the past. Do does Chubb honestly. If he tests well at the combine (he may shock some people at his size), he could be great. He did break Mario Williams sack record at NC State. Also consider a guy like Fitzpatrick in the mold of a Jalen Ramsey type of player. So many options, all have big time potential at their respective positions. It will be interesting, I think if we stay at 3 (depending on FA) we have to use that to maximize our return. Trading back 2-5 spots is my first preference, then taking Chubb would be my second (before seeing the combine this is subject to change), and third it would be a toss up between Barkley and Fitzpatrick (probably Barkley based on need).

7 minutes ago, Str8himalaya said:

I'm just not sold on Barkley at 3 yet. Not saying he isn't worthy of the 3rd pick, but not sure he is the best value for OUR team. All this "it's a fact" and "he's a sure thing" stuff has to stop though. At VERY best it's a educated guess, no fact at all in the argument since he hasn't stepped on the field. The speed of the game is a big difference in the pros and that can cause issues with ANYONE. Does he have the tools and potential to be great? Sure, a lot of guys have in the past. Do does Chubb honestly. If he tests well at the combine (he may shock some people at his size), he could be great. He did break Mario Williams sack record at NC State. Also consider a guy like Fitzpatrick in the mold of a Jalen Ramsey type of player. So many options, all have big time potential at their respective positions. It will be interesting, I think if we stay at 3 (depending on FA) we have to use that to maximize our return. Trading back 2-5 spots is my first preference, then taking Chubb would be my second (before seeing the combine this is subject to change), and third it would be a toss up between Barkley and Fitzpatrick (probably Barkley based on need).

I wouldn't be mad in any of those scenarios..I think Barkley would have biggest impact right away, but longer term other choices could be better no doubt, or we could pass on an all time player for a 6-8 sack a year guy..idk..I am hoping we plug holes with good young free agents so we can truly go BPA in the draft...