Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rosen and Darnold both declare for 2018

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

Great news for us. 

Just wondering why you say this would be good news? We would have our choice of the top player thats not a quarterback if the Giants and Brown take these 2, but in terms of trading down i think the Browns and Giants will be fielding most of the phone calls...unless Barkley is taken top 2 then our 3 definetly heats up for QB needy teams.

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

Just wondering why you say this would be good news? We would have our choice of the top player thats not a quarterback if the Giants and Brown take these 2, but in terms of trading down i think the Browns and Giants will be fielding most of the phone calls...unless Barkley is taken top 2 then our 3 definetly heats up for QB needy teams.

The more QBs that are considered worthy of a top pick, the better. If there was only one, it would increase the likelihood of the Browns or Giants trading back from 1 or 2, which undermines any trade talks we might have. 

1 minute ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Barkley isn't going top two I get he is a great player but those spots are going to be QB's.

You have no idea if the browns really do love Allen they can easily take Barkley 1st and get him at 5 

And the giants may roll with Eli again hes the top player in the draft according to everyone I don't agree with that but I really don't care as long as we don't draft him 

Lets say the Browns get cute and take Barkley 1st, thinking the QB they want will be there at 4. That could actually backfire because the Giants then may go QB for an eventual replacement for Eli. They may take the guy the Browns want. I am sure the Browns have their eyes set on the main 1 QB they want, so taking Barkley 1st could back fire on them. I don't think they risk it and they take the QB they want at #1 hoping Barkley is there at 4.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

i think the Brown have been bitten trying to get cute too many times in the past. They NEED to take their QB with the #1 pick....it is the Brown though i honestly would not be surprised. That being sayd the Giants could easily take Eli's replacement and we could trade back to a QB needy team reaching for Mayfield or Allen, or even if we select someone other than Barkley that would leave him for the Browns. Cleveland could be a completely different team next year if they get Rosen and Barkley..

This isn't good news for the Colts, this is GREAT news for the Colts!

The more candidates for the top pick(s) the greater the chance that we can trade back and collect a very good return for our number three pick.

There are now FOUR clear candidates for the top three picks.   Darnold, Rosen, Barkley and Chubb.   This is the best possible news for the Colts.   I'm condident there were loud cheers inside the Colts headquarters!    

Stay at three and take the player or trade back a little and collect picks...   either way today is a win-win day for the Colts!

2 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

You never know who else teams want to trade for. I could see teams really wanting to draft Saquon Barkley since he is the best RB to come in the draft in years. And Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen, or Lamar Jackson could also really rise.

45 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Awesome. Makes that third pick more valuable. And also gives a higher chance for the player the Colts want to be there at 3.

Gives us more options. 

We will have tons of options at picking at #3. A lot of different scenario's could play out now. Several GM's will want Allen as their QB besides Darnold or Rosen IMO. So even if Darnold and Rosen are off the board at 1 and 2, I don't see us having a problem at trading down now like many were worried about. Also if we keep the pick, Barkley could still be there and I see no way Chubb and Nelson aren't there at 3.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We will have tons of options at picking at #3. A lot of different scenario's could play out now. Several GM's will want Allen as their QB besides Darnold or Rosen IMO. So even if Darnold and Rosen are off the board at 1 and 2, I don't see us having a problem at trading down now like many were worried about. Also if we keep the pick, Barkley could still be there and I see no way Chubb and Nelson aren't there at 3.

I think there are will be far more interest in Barkley and Chubb with the third pick than there will be with Allen.

Allen will go a little later,  and it won't cost a team nearly as much to trade up.      Or,  a team like the NYJ or Denver might take Allen right were they are at 5 and 6 and not bother to trade up......    lots of possibilites...

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think there are will be far more interest in Barkley and Chubb with the third pick than there will be with Allen.

Allen will go a little later,  and it won't cost a team nearly as much to trade up.      Or,  a team like the NYJ or Denver might take Allen right were they are at 5 and 6 and not bother to trade up......    lots of possibilites...

I was reading where the Cards had interest in Allen earlier with Palmer retiring too. So many options.

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I kind of agree about Allen. He will probably go in a similar range to where Mahomes went(Cardinals being his sweet spot) unless the interest from NFL is all smoke and no fire and he goes in like... the third round. His tape is not worthy of first two days selection by any means IMO. He is all projection and tools and no current substance IMO. 

With all that said... there are currently some rumors about the Browns having very serious interest in him. Dorsey drafted Mahomes so he seems to really like toolsy QBs, but if he does, why not just try to develop Kizer who is another of the toolsy kids? I don't know, the Browns are always a wild card with what they do, I can't get a good read on them like... ever.

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Lets say the Browns get cute and take Barkley 1st, thinking the QB they want will be there at 4. That could actually backfire because the Giants then may go QB for an eventual replacement for Eli. They may take the guy the Browns want. I am sure the Browns have their eyes set on the main 1 QB they want, so taking Barkley 1st could back fire on them. I don't think they risk it and they take the QB they want at #1 hoping Barkley is there at 4.

They could also try to trade up one spot from 4 to 3 with us to get Barkley if they really covet him.  QB's go top 2 so that leaves 3 open.  They know Colts could take Barkley or trade it to a team that really wants him.

Browns have Philly's 2nd rounder which will be a late 2nd rounder.  The could package that with a late round pick like a 6th or a 7th to trade up one spot to get Barkley.

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

This isn't good news for the Colts, this is GREAT news for the Colts!

The more candidates for the top pick(s) the greater the chance that we can trade back and collect a very good return for our number three pick.

There are now FOUR clear candidates for the top three picks.   Darnold, Rosen, Barkley and Chubb.   This is the best possible news for the Colts.   I'm condident there were loud cheers inside the Colts headquarters!    

Stay at three and take the player or trade back a little and collect picks...   either way today is a win-win day for the Colts!

Barkley I have a feeling will have several teams that are going to covet him.  If you ask me he's one of the best RB prospects in a while.  I honestly think he's better then Gurley or Fournette simply because he's a true 3 down back.  Gurley and Fournette are grinders who excelled at between the tackles running.  Barkley on the other hand can grind it out between the tackles but he also has shown great ability to catch the ball and make a play too.  Shoot I think Penn State has even split him out wide!

Seahawks, Ravens, 49er's, Raiders, I could see all of those teams seeing Barkley as the offensive playmaker who can get them over the hump and back into the playoffs.

Honestly I hate the idea of taking an RB in the first round, especially at the top so I'd rather trade down but I have to admit that if the Colts did take Barkley I wouldn't even be too greatly disappointed by it.  I'd be mildly disappointed but not as much as I would have been with other first round RB's.  A 3 down back gives your playcalling an un predictable nature that RB by committee can't give you.  

Giants are like Colts, they almost never have a top 3 pick in the draft.  It could be a while before they are in this position again. They fired their long time GM.  Their QB is oldish.  It sounds like a rebuild.  I'm thinking they take a QB. Groom him a year or 2 depending on Eli.