Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano On Combine

IndyTrav

We can't have two guys spinning themself away from the play 90% of the time.

This has been a huge fail in regard to our run defense. Two ends spinning and whisking their way out of the play and small, lightweight DT's getting manhandled accordingly. Yes, this philosophy is effective when we're up by 20 points but that logic has no fail-safe.

This has been a huge fail in regard to our run defense. Two ends spinning and whisking their way out of the play and small, lightweight DT's getting manhandled accordingly. Yes, this philosophy is effective when we're up by 20 points but that logic has no fail-safe.

A defense who's only good with a lead, isnt much of a defense at all.

But you hit it on the head.

"Where should I run to? Oh, I know, that massive gaping hole to my left..*runs to it*..Now I'll just shake off an arm tackle..*continues running*....."

Hey, there's a lot of teams that don't have anybody getting to the QB. Look at the Giants. Four guys getting after the QB. That's what you want. Remember Super Bowl w/ the Saints. Brees had Tom Brady time back there cause Freeney was out.

yup when Freeney went out in 2007 if I recall correctly the Colts had 0 sacks against Rivers/Volek in the playoff matchup

yup when Freeney went out in 2007 if I recall correctly the Colts had 0 sacks against Rivers/Volek in the playoff matchup

We simply need to have a pair of pass-rushers s.t. teams cannot double both.

But the top condition for them to work: We need a lead and the opponent will have to throw instead of running through our week DTs.

And yet Mathis still had more sacks against SD that year than Freeney.

Freeney draws the double team much more frequently than Mathis ... not that I don't like Mathis; I do and hope we keep him, but Freeney's presence even when he doesn't get to qb opens up/ impacts the entire D.

Freeney draws the double team much more frequently than Mathis ... not that I don't like Mathis; I do and hope we keep him, but Freeney's presence even when he doesn't get to qb opens up/ impacts the entire D.

And the double team myth continues..........

Sure. In 2004. Maybe twice a game.

He may get CHIPPED on occasion. By a RB on his way to his out route along the sidelines.

The Off is already down 1 player (unless your Vick/Newton), they cant afford to use 2 on 1.

Seriously, you can not be watching the O-line and D-line much. Freeney gets chipped or double team a lot.

Seriously, you can not be watching the O-line and D-line much. Freeney gets chipped or double team a lot.

Seriously.

A team pulling a guard on a run isn't a double team, which is what you think you see 90% of the time.

5OL 3 WR 1RB 1TE....

So our Def. is up +2 players, and still giving up as many yards,1sts, and TDs as what they are....doesn't seem to make much sense.....

Seriously.

A team pulling a guard on a run isn't a double team, which is what you think you see 90% of the time.

5OL 3 WR 1RB 1TE....

So our Def. is up +2 players, and still giving up as many yards,1sts, and TDs as what they are....doesn't seem to make much sense.....

What I see is Freeney getting chipped by the RB or TE. Also, the TE sometimes will stay in to help the LT or a G will help. The Colts defense being that bad has more to do with the lack of talent at the DT & CB positions. Not to mention the poor play by the Colts offense not helping the defense stay off the field.

What I see is Freeney getting chipped by the RB or TE. Also, the TE sometimes will stay in to help the LT or a G will help. The Colts defense being that bad has more to do with the lack of talent at the DT & CB positions. Not to mention the poor play by the Colts offense not helping the defense stay off the field.

Im not debating chips. That standard procedure for ALL NFL teams. But thats not a double team.

A shift in the OL going to the running side is not a double team.

This myth that 2 OL are holding Freeney back is getting so out of hand.

Having +2 extra players on the field (which is what you are saying) any Def. would CRUSH every single team in the NFL.

Having +2 extra players on the field (which is what you are saying) any Def. would CRUSH every single team in the NFL.

Not the Colts D, that is the problem. Their DTs can't beat one on one blocks. As a matter of fact they are usually being pushed 2 or 3 yards backwards on running plays.