Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gruden said to be interested in the.....

NewColtsFan

.....  Tampa Bay job.     This from NFL Network information guy Ian Rappaport.

Gruden is said to be calling former assistant coaches of his to see who would like to join him if the TB comes open....

No mention of the Colts job or any other job.     Only that TB is his preferred destiation.     Not to be overlooked,  Tampa is where Gruden lives,  so on some level,  it makes sense.

Will he be interested in coaching any place else?      That's the unknown answer.....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000897076/article/bucs-are-preferred-destination-in-a-jon-gruden-return

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

olts job or any other job.     Only that TB is his preferred destiation.     Not to be overlooked,  Tampa is where Gruden lives,  so on some level,  it makes sense.

Wonder if any of the former assistants would think it's not cool to speculate on a job that's not even available at the moment in the public eye.....

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Gruden coming back would be a huge mistake for everybody. It would be like Mike Ditka coming back. He was a good coach but he went to far to fast, and it was never the same after that. 

Now...if there is 1 place he could succeed at again it's Tampa Bay imo. A unique homecoming + wanting to prove himself again could be the 1 thing that gives him his old edge back. 

1 minute ago, BloodyChamp said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Gruden coming back would be a huge mistake for everybody. It would be like Mike Ditka coming back. He was a good coach but he went to far to fast, and it was never the same after that. 

Now...if there is 1 place he could succeed at again it's Tampa Bay imo. A unique homecoming + wanting to prove himself again could be the 1 thing that gives him his old edge back. 

The old edge that resulted in a SB win, sure...... but it's the same old edge that lead to a 57-55 overall record as well.... not exactly a razor sharp edge....

There are according to Jay Gazer 13-14 possible HC changes coming. This would be a record for a single season. A Gruden hire would be nothing more than TV talk. He just said a few weeks ago on Mike & Mike he does not want to give up the easy street job he has now.

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

There are according to Jay Gazer 13-14 possible HC changes coming. This would be a record for a single season. A Gruden hire would be nothing more than TV talk. He just said a few weeks ago on Mike & Mike he does not want to give up the easy street job he has now.

What someone like Gruden says publicly and what he says privately are often two very different things... 

3 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Because of all the games he lost after that SB (this place some times shees)

hey, you could be right, I like Gruden's personality, and his demeanor, and knowledge are great it seems, but fact remains, he has the same amount of 10 plus win seasons in 11 years as a HC as Pagano has in 6...... his overall % is pretty close to Chuck's, .540 as opposed to .500, albeit over a sample size that is nearly twice as large for Gruden......

14 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Wonder if any of the former assistants would think it's not cool to speculate on a job that's not even available at the moment in the public eye.....

Coaches caring about that is myth.  People like to be employed.

3 hours ago, BOTT said:

Coaches caring about that is myth.  People like to be employed.

I'd say that "myth" isn't a myth at all.  it certainly isn't the main deciding factor, or even necessarily a big one, but I know plenty of people in business who do indeed pay attention to HR practices before signing on with a new employer

39 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

"Short term memory alert" Chuckie  was fired from TB because of mediocre  performance in coaching

And they have had, what, 2 winning seasons since they fired him? I’m not the biggest Gruden fan, and don’t really want him for the Colts, but teams could do a lot worse than having him as their coach.

8 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

I'd say that "myth" isn't a myth at all.  it certainly isn't the main deciding factor, or even necessarily a big one, but I know plenty of people in business who do indeed pay attention to HR practices before signing on with a new employer

Well, I Rick Venturi for the NFL and dan Dan Dakich for college basketball have both laughed at the idea. People on the inside know what's going on and nobody cares.

On 12/24/2017 at 7:43 PM, King Colt said:

I will believe it when I see it. When it is all said and done, there will be less than 10 possible HC changes.

The thing about HC changes is that a few positives probably get ignored because they will get the axe with the HC. Like John Pagano, as DC of the Raiders, he has done nothing but good things ever since he took over as DC and the Raiders have been fiesty on D ever since that Mexico City debacle vs the Patriots after which the DC change was made. 

23 hours ago, King Colt said:

Never buy used tires. Yes, they worked fine once but like all living things Father Time kneels to no one. The Revenge of Chuckie will never happen. 

Incredibly flawed logic.  If one should never buy used tires, then Belichick shouldn't be a head coach right now.  Nor should Pete Carroll.  Unlike tires, people can learn and change and grow and adapt.  That's a big reason why McDaniels is a popular head coaching candidate around the league despite what happened to him in Denver

1 minute ago, 21isSuperman said:

Incredibly flawed logic.  If one should never buy used tires, then Belichick shouldn't be a head coach right now.  Nor should Pete Carroll.  Unlike tires, people can learn and change and grow and adapt.  That's a big reason why McDaniels is a popular head coaching candidate around the league despite what happened to him in Denver

They were not used they were unknown. Big difference. Mc Daniels has proven zip as a HC. It is all guess work.

44 minutes ago, King Colt said:

They were not used they were unknown. Big difference. Mc Daniels has proven zip as a HC. It is all guess work.

Belichick, Carroll, Dungy, Jimmy Johnson and Mike Shannahan were all fired as head coaches

On 12/24/2017 at 8:41 PM, Shafty138 said:

hey, you could be right, I like Gruden's personality, and his demeanor, and knowledge are great it seems, but fact remains, he has the same amount of 10 plus win seasons in 11 years as a HC as Pagano has in 6...... his overall % is pretty close to Chuck's, .540 as opposed to .500, albeit over a sample size that is nearly twice as large for Gruden......

His first 2 seasons were 8-8ers, and the following 3 were atleast 11 wins seasons plus atleast 1 playoff win. The last 1 was the SB season. I don't know what people don't get about this. That young, motivated Jon Gruden was born to coach. That just wasn't who he was after he won a SB so fast. He was so good that he might have won 1 sooner if not for a certain call.

1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

His first 2 seasons were 8-8ers, and the following 3 were atleast 11 wins seasons plus atleast 1 playoff win. The last 1 was the SB season. I don't know what people don't get about this. That young, motivated Jon Gruden was born to coach. That just wasn't who he was after he won a SB so fast. He was so good that he might have won 1 sooner if not for a certain call.

he was in the right place at the right time

12 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

he was in the right place at the right time

The guy built a winner under al freakin' davis. I'm not rooting for Gruden to become the colts next coach, but the criticism of him on this forum is a tad ridiculous.

8 minutes ago, BOTT said:

The guy built a winner under al freakin' davis. I'm not rooting for Gruden to become the colts next coach, but the criticism of him on this forum is a tad ridiculous.

I am not even bring up his average record as a coach in his career but his penchant for the camera. As I have said before he lights up like the forth of July whenever there is a camera within 50 feet of him. Add the negative opinions of him from the veteran players who have played for him that go farther back that the Raiders.

Those things just didn't appear out of the blue.