Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does anyone know he we compare to everyone else injury wise?

Trace Pyott

I dunno if we are drafting injury prone players, our turf is causing guys to get hurt or what but it seems like we have a disproportionate amount of injuries compared to everyone else around the league. More than likely it just seems that way because I follow the colts closer than I do the entire NFL combined but it just always seems many of our guys are always getting hurt. With vontae out all year and all the other injuries that have happened it makes me wonder what's going on?  I used to think we had bad trainers but we got a new one and the injuries keep piling up so I don't think it's that. Does anyone know of any stats that show  how many players or better yet starters miss significant time for each team?  This season has been an absolute disaster. I'm not sure how much worse it could realistically get. If someone was making a movie on our team and it was fictional I would about to the point where I would start criticizing the writers for making it seem too dramatic and far fetched. The only thing is, this is really happening lol. 

From 2012-2015, per visitor injury rate, the Lucas Oil stadium featured the most injuries in the NFL. Just for the lower leg injuries, Lucas Oil stadium was 3rd.

Source, research and a lot more here.

edit. FO also has adjusted games lost stat defined as:

With Football Outsiders' Adjusted Games Lost (AGL) metric, we are able to quantify how much teams were affected by injuries based on two principles: (1) Injuries to starters, injury replacements, and important situational reserves matter more than injuries to benchwarmers; and (2) Injured players who do take the field are usually playing with reduced ability, which is why AGL is not based strictly on whether or not the player is active for the game, but instead is based on the player's listed status that week (IR/PUP, out, doubtful, questionable, or probable).

As long as NFL teams are solely responsible for producing weekly injury reports, we cannot say that every single injury has been accounted for, but secrecy is an unavoidable aspect of this part of the game.

From 2013 to 2016, Colts ranked 6th worst. Not sure if site rules allow direct links here but the chart is pretty easily found by googling.

I think it's a lack of cardio. I keep thinking back to Reggie Wayne and how he fizzled out with the Patriots before the regular season began, and then I coincidentally read a later article about Bill Belichick priding his team on running harder than other teams. This is why the Patriots play 60-minutes of football better than other teams, because they simply outlast the opposition. It may also partially explain Tom Brady's secret to staying so healthy.

We need to run our guys harder. The weight room is only part of the answer.

The Colts were consistently top 10 in injuries, dating back to Peyton`s early years. James, Sanders, Wayne, Harrison, Simon and the list goes on. Injuries are part of the game, but the Colts seem to take the cake. Is it the turf, strength, and conditioning, signing injury prone players? Who knows??? It`s rather frustrating with the Colts and definitely not over exaggerated.  

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

The Colts are usually in the top 5 for most games lost due to injury each year, per Football Outsiders.  From 2013 to 2016, the most injured teams in the league were San Diego, New York Giants, San Francisco, Chicago, and Indy.

https://imgur.com/a/a06i0

Pretty sure Pagano is going to have that printed out at the end of the season and present it to Mr Irsay lol. Dude will probably have PowerPoint presentation 

On 11/9/2017 at 6:44 AM, ColtsBlitz said:

We follow the Colts closely, obviously, so it seems like that. This year however we have had the worst of the injury bug. We lost players this year on both sides that are starters such as Davis (never healthy this year), Luck, Swoope, Mewhort, and now Anderson. 

good thing swoope is back though. hopefully he can contribute :thmup:

It is true that fans think their teams seem to suffer more injuries than members of other teams. You watch the Colts 16 times a year, sometimes more if you're Luck-y. (See what I did there?) Eight teams visit Lucas Oil Stadium. If you want, you can count total injuries suffered during Colts home games and subtract injuries to guys with horseshoe helmets. It is not scientific, but can show you it is not mostly Colts players getting hurt on their home field.

I don't know if Football Outsiders accounts for this, but injuries that result in lost games, fewer snaps, or reduction in a player's effectiveness often are just aggravation of existing problems caused by returning to held too soon. Would the injury timeout at a home game be identified as new for the team, when it is actually old for the player?

22 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

The Colts are usually in the top 5 for most games lost due to injury each year, per Football Outsiders.  From 2013 to 2016, the most injured teams in the league were San Diego, New York Giants, San Francisco, Chicago, and Indy.

https://imgur.com/a/a06i0

Those teams play on real grass outside do they not?  There goes that theory.