Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bruce Arians

azcolt

I think if people want Luck to work in a more quick paced, west coast style offense than Bruce wouldn't really be the way to go in my view.  Palmer was getting destroyed this year before breaking his arm and and last year.  Luck was sacked 40+ times during the year he was coaching in Indy.  Ben was also sacked a ridiculous amount of times. 

I'm really not sure what offensive scheme Luck would be the best at but I feel he could learn any system.  

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

His best year was under Pep Hamilton not Bruce.

Usually a QB's best year is not his rookie year taking over a 2-14 team. Luck no doubt was responsible for the 11 wins even though his stats were not incredible. 

BTW... I would not be in favor of Arians being the next Indy coach.

30 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

I think if people want Luck to work in a more quick paced, west coast style offense than Bruce wouldn't really be the way to go in my view.  Palmer was getting destroyed this year before breaking his arm and and last year.  Luck was sacked 40+ times during the year he was coaching in Indy.  Ben was also sacked a ridiculous amount of times. 

I'm really not sure what offensive scheme Luck would be the best at but I feel he could learn any system.  

Every QB that has played for Arians has took a beaten. Palmer is done

4 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Usually a QB's best year is not his rookie year taking over a 2-14 team. Luck no doubt was responsible for the 11 wins even though his stats were not incredible. 

BTW... I would not be in favor of Arians being the next Indy coach.

Other than 2006 because we won the SB, 1995 Harbaugh's Magical run. 2012 has been my favorite season in my Colts fandom since they moved here. 2-14 to 11-5 and then some of the comebacks by Luck were just awesome. Nobody thought we would win more than 5 games that season.

I firmly believe a lot of our early success in the Pagano/Grigson/Arians or whatever era was also due to Reggie Wayne. He took on a huge leadership role and he caught so many ridiculous passes. 

If Wayne doesn't make the HOF someday it's a crime since he proved himself with Manning and without Manning.

We still had a few remnants of the old team left for a while on the field and thats all gone now. 

1 minute ago, Jules said:

I firmly believe a lot of our early success in the Pagano/Grigson/Arians or whatever era was also due to Reggie Wayne. He took on a huge leadership role and he caught so many ridiculous passes. 

If Wayne doesn't make the HOF someday it's a crime since he proved himself with Manning and without Manning.

We still had a few remnants of the old team left for a while on the field and thats all gone now. 

Wayne single handedly won that Green Bay home game when we came back in the second half because of how many inaccurate Luck passes he was able to snare.  That was the pre-bad shoulder Luck.

Just now, DougDew said:

Wayne single handedly won that Green Bay home game when we came back in the second half because of how many inaccurate Luck passes he was able to snare.  That was the pre-bad shoulder Luck.

Exactly. If you look back at before Wayne got hurt himself, there are so many games he was beyond crucial in. And also even when we lost, his leadership role helped.

That GB game for example was a "win for Chuck" game after we found out about the cancer. But it was Wayne who pretty much went out there and made sure we won it with insane catches. 

I think he also was big in guiding the young receivers.

Also, he became Luck's security blanket for better or for worse since I think Luck had to adjust to life without him.

12 minutes ago, Jules said:

Reggie was so huge in 2012, I agree 1000%.

31 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Every QB that has played for Arians has took a beaten. Palmer is done

coaches have tried to copy coryells style without the st louis o-line and pitch outs to terry metcalf the game changer which helped the o-line. we have our own metcalf in mack

35 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Other than 2006 because we won the SB, 1995 Harbaugh's Magical run. 2012 has been my favorite season in my Colts fandom since they moved here. 2-14 to 11-5 and then some of the comebacks by Luck were just awesome. Nobody thought we would win more than 5 games that season.

There were some incredible wins that season.

If you want to look at potential fired coaches I think Sean Payton would jump to the top of the list if he was fired.  He has won a SB and he's known for calling great games.   I think Jim wants an experienced coach who has achieved success for Lucks prime years.  He would fit the MO.

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If you want to look at potential fired coaches I think Sean Payton would jump to the top of the list if he was fired.  He has won a SB and he's known for calling great games.   I think Jim wants an experienced coach who has achieved success for Lucks prime years.  He would fit the MO.

I always thought the rumors of Irsay wanting Sean Payton are true. But, I am doubting they can Payton now in New Orleans if this season continues to go well for the Saints. They turned things around.

I also sort of felt that Brees/Payton were married until Brees retires. But you never do know I suppose if we could snag him?

It's a shame too since I think Payton could do wonders with Luck coming back from injury like he did with Brees.

2 minutes ago, Jules said:

I always thought the rumors of Irsay wanting Sean Payton are true. But, I am doubting they can Payton now in New Orleans if this season continues to go well for the Saints. They turned things around.

I also sort of felt that Brees/Payton were married until Brees retires. But you never do know I suppose if we could snag him?

It's a shame too since I think Payton could do wonders with Luck coming back from injury like he did with Brees.

I am the only person on the planet that picked the Saints to win their Division and looky :thmup:

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am the only person on the planet that picked the Saints to win their Division and looky :thmup:

They very well might do it this year. I was torn on them and the Panthers for a pick. Panthers looked really good early on but fizzled pretty bad. Ever since Cam got the sexism controversy he seems to have fallen.

Falcons are going to have a tough time regrouping from this SB loss, I just don't know how anyone can overcome that and in a way I feel bad for Matt Ryan now. I mean how long can you keep hearing about that lead blown all the time?

1 minute ago, JColts72 said:

Man folks here think he's worse then chuck. We are the trolls, i mean fans who wanted him as hc over chuck? I take him as HC anyday.

I might take him over Pagano, but that also means when Luck comes back he gets killed all over again with Arians.

I don't think Irsay would go the Arians route anyway.

Hell at this point I almost just want to say hire former Colts like Peyton/Saturday/Wayne and call it a day and let them coach. lmao 

I might take him over Pagano, but that also means when Luck comes back he gets killed all over again with Arians.

Hell at this point I almost just want to say hire former Colts like Peyton/Saturday/Wayne and call it a day and let them coach. lmao 

Just now, JColts72 said:

Jimmy 

Jimmy is too proud to hire Bruce as does not want to admit keeping chuck was a mistake. So whats the reason chuck still here? Cant blame fired Ryan.

1 minute ago, JColts72 said:

Jimmy 

Jimmy is too proud to hire Bruce as does not want to admit keeping chuck was a mistake. So whats the reason chuck still here? Cant blame fired Ryan.

Looking back, after 2012 Arians WAS the better choice to keep over Pagano. But at the time it was a tough spot to be in since Pagano was coming off the cancer and they had the "win for Chuck" slogan.

Highly doubt Irsay ever goes down the Arians road again like you said.

4 minutes ago, Jules said:

Still a ways to go but I thought maybe Atlanta would have a down year after losing the SB and I knew Cam was injured coming into the season. To me Tampa is Tampa - an 8-8 team.

2 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

i concur

Please please please just hit the like button.. You are flooding every topic with 5 post saying the same thing "i concur"

if you want to pump up for post counts then do it in gameday thread.

sorry for the rage.

4 minutes ago, Robin said:

Please please please just hit the like button.. You are flooding every topic with 5 post saying the same thing "i concur"

if you want to pump up for post counts then do it in gameday thread.

sorry for the rage.

concur has an entirely different meaning than like, when i concur with a post it does not mean i like the post. try to bear with me son, i mean no harm and i dont mean to cause you such rage maybe if the colts start winning you will be more tolerant of others on this forum. i am just an old 73 year old fan trying to trade thoughts with other colts fans didnt mean to push you over the edge. i am new to this internet stuff they didnt have it in my youth

32 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

33 minutes ago, Jules said:

BTW I would not want Arians back. We don't want Luck to get murdered on the field all over again and that is exactly what Arians intends to do with every single one of his QBs.

I don't gamble or play fantasy football, but if SW1 ever decided to change my mind, I'm consulting with you 2 first so I can come across looking  like a NFL wizard.

Seriously, you 2 have a sixth sense about sports victories/championships IMO. 

3 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

concur has an entirely different meaning than like, when i concur with a post it does not mean i like the post. try to bear with me son, i mean no harm and i dont mean to cause you such rage maybe if the colts start winning you will be more tolerant of others on this forum. i am just an old 73 year old fan trying to trade thoughts with other colts fans didnt mean to push you over the edge. i am new to this internet stuff they didnt have it in my youth

In internet terms, like = concur

2 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I don't gamble or play fantasy football, but if SW1 ever decided to change my mind, I'm consulting with you 2 first so I can come across looking  like a NFL wizard.

Seriously, you 2 have a sixth sense about sports victories/championships IMO. 

Yeah sometimes she out does me, she thinks she is pretty smart that Jules :sarcasm:

1 minute ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

The "like" is do it all button "agree, concur, like, whatever" . You can hold over it for more option.. Winning and loosing has nothing to do with my mood. I watched them for to many years to let that impact my mood on an internet forum..

But its annoying that you are replying with the same message every single time.. Because that's not trading thoughts.. I think its amazing a 73 old is on the internet.. but your "i concur" dosen't do any other thing then making every thread unnecessary long and slow.. while your post give no value what so ever that a "like, Thanks, love" hit would't not do.

1 minute ago, Robin said:

The "like" is do it all button "agree, concur, like, whatever" . You can hold over it for more option.. Winning and loosing has nothing to do with my mood. I watched them for to many years to let that impact my mood on an internet forum..

But its annoying that you are replying with the same message every single time.. Because that's not trading thoughts.. I think its amazing a 73 old is on the internet.. but your "i concur" dosen't do any other thing then making every thread unnecessary long and slow.. while your post give no value what so ever that a "like, Thanks, love" hit would't not do.

how about just talking football what this forum is about and leave the correct words to the school teachers forum

30 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

I think we should have grabbed Tom Coughlin.  I know we could win with him.

Thank you for saying this out loud LD. I've always liked Couglin too. He always understood the importance of a good O-line & a consistent running game with actual lanes or creases to hit the 2nd level. 

Yeah, I know Tom missed the playoffs a lot under Eli Manning while he was there minus 2 Lombardi trophies against NE. I get that & you're not wrong, but Tom would have protected Luck better & created a more consistent pass rush as the season progressed. 

Just now, OLD FAN MAN said:

how about just talking football what this forum is about and leave the correct words to the school teachers forum

That would be perfect... That would mean you would stop spamming, "i concur" in every topic as that not football talk.. 

2 hours ago, ricker182 said:

If you really want to see Andrew Luck murdered on the field, I guess Arians is the best guy for that.  

I actually think he shares some blame. His playcalling allowed for a lot of unnecessary hits.  

I also think he's way overrated by this forum.

2 hours ago, Malakai432 said:

I have to admit that R182 & M-432 are exactly right. BA tends to put his QBs in vulnerable positions that usually gives LBs & DEs a clean shot to pulverize the most important player on the field. 

I like Bruce's gutsy play calling sometimes, but he only knows 1 mode: Ariel attack; Ferrari speed & you can't play an entire season like that without getting demolished late in the yr when your face of the franchise goes down permanently. 

Like CBE said above, our O-line can't give our QB that kind of protection for 80 yard bombs down in down out. 

1 minute ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

to compete in any system we need a better o-line

I also can never figure out why we don't have Andrew just throw short quick passes, like slants and Screens a lot like Tommy does. Remember the Denver game when Chud first took over we did that and beat Denver and after Andrew got injured, Chud did it with Hass. When Andrew came back it was back to the same ol long passes and Gore up the middle a bunch.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

I don't understand this love affair with Bruce Arians.

I guess they remember Luck setting Rookie records, 4th Q comebacks, incredible 3rd down conversions, and an 11-5 record...  not the interceptions, low completion % etc...

In any event, no pure old school scheme is truly effective anymore.  All branches off their respective coaching trees have varied the offenses according to the evolution of the game and their own ideas to 'tweak' the systems.  I my self am in favor of adopting the Erhardt-Perkins 'system', notably the "Concepts" version McDaniels-Belichick use in New England.

The Coryell elegance of 3 digit route tree systems really is no longer valid in these days of 11 personnel formations, for instance, and the multiple formations and groupings have made West Cost systems play naming/calling unwieldy.  These schemes are crumbling under their own weight.  In the E-P system, they use concepts.  PM and Moore used concepts in their system with the Colts.  I want to go back to something like that, as it is effective and adaptable.

My concern is, getting an E-P guy as HC, he has to find another 'good' E-P guy to run the offense.  I am not in favor of HC's also calling the plays. He has too much to do outside of that duty.  I am in favor of the HC redirecting the ship as needed during the game (IE: tells OC he needs to run more from their pass formation when the defense begins to sit back and double on the WR's etc..). 

I want easy to call plays, concepts based so that no huddle can be employed well, and creates and keeps mismatches vs the defense groupings (or catches them with 12 men on the filed as players try to sub out and run off).  Im not in favor of the long game, or the short dink stuff.  I'm in favor of the mix that attacks the opponents weak spots as the game situations and personnel groupings change.  Whatever the D is giving up... run or pass- short or long.

Luck is ready, lets get the rest of the team aboard on it too.