Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

SI Report: Peyton Had 4 Procedures, not 3 [Merge]

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/don_banks/02/15/peyton/index.html?sct=hp_t2_a3&eref=sihp

Interesting piece from SI today about a reported fourth procedure on PMs neck, the 30 play red zone drill in front of Polian, Caldwell, and Christensen....

I know it's just more 'sources' say, but SI has been at this a little longer than most.

This could also explain a bit more about how Irsay has seemed to be more vocal and concered about PM's long term health and ability to live a normal life after football, and the immediate and contrary reaction to PM's docs saying he is 'cleared to play'. If there are bone spurs, or there have been discussions about the potential for additional procedures of surgeries, no wonder Irsay has publically talked about PM's life, not just football.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Report: Peyton Manning had 4 neck surgeries

1493.jpg

Citing NFL sources, SI.com's Don Banks reports that Peyton Manning has undergone four surgeries on his neck over the past two seasons, not three as widely reported.

The fourth was an undisclosed procedure, per Banks, and occurred between his May 23 and September 9 surgeries. In other words, Manning had three neck operations in one offseason. Banks reports that Manning's neck may have "developed bone spurs," and Colts doctors believe he will "inevitably ... at some point require further surgery." Manning reportedly still wanted to play in 2011 and was targeting Week 16. Colts doctors quickly ruled him out after a brief workout. At the time, it is estimated that Manning had 80 percent of his usual arm strength and "his passes wobbled at times." The Colts have concern that Manning's neck problems are chronic and perhaps even genetic, as Peyton's brother Cooper was forced to give up football at a young age due to spinal stenosis.

Source: SI.com

Feb 15 - 2:28 PM

HOW COULD THIS BE!!!!!! A Doctor report that is leaked out.... Manning must have signed a release for this cause NO way this could be possible leaked info from anyone else it would be a HIPPA viloation right?? MMMM..... wonder if this is same leak about Manning being cleared for football during the Superbowl week...

http://sportsillustr...l#ixzz1mTp9ON4e

"SI.com has learned from NFL sources that Manning actually underwent a fourth, unreported, medical procedure in the past two years, not three as has been widely known."

"

In addition, league sources say Manning's neck has potentially developed bone spurs just above the point where his latest fusion surgery took place in early September, and the Colts organization is under the belief that it is nearly inevitable Manning will at some point require further surgery, and possibly another fusion procedure, even if he does successfully return to the field in 2012."

The article also goes on to provide information that Polian knew that PM could not throw more than 20-25 yds last December, contrary to what Polian now claims.

HOW COULD THIS BE!!!!!! A Doctor report that is leaked out.... Manning must have signed a release for this cause NO way this could be possible leaked info from anyone else it would be a HIPPA viloation right?? MMMM..... wonder if this is same leak about Manning being cleared for football during the Superbowl week...

There is an old saying...if it walks like a duck...if it quacks like a duck...it's a DUCK! So what I am saying is Peyton is a duck? Yes...sorta...I don't see Manning coming back to the NFL really...you have to believe that these reports contain some validity to it..and I'm sure that he won't be able to throw the ball as he once did.

But...just wait and see still.

What really strikes me about this article is that Manning was willing to put himself in harms way. It appeared clear to all of the decision makers that he was not ready to play. Yet, Manning wanted to practicve and play in games?

I understand Manning's desire to play, but at this point, I think Irsay's approach of making sure that manning is healthy enough to play is the best approach. Someone has to look out for Peyton's health becuase he is too determined to comback, even if it's by putting himself in harm's way.

Yeah that's it.... Manning decided he is just wanting to retire, so he signed a medical release to have this leaked out so he can walk away... God knows it would be against HIPPA if it leaked some other way right.... Cause no way Manning being cleared for football leaked out during superbowl without Mannings approval, so this has to be under Mannings signed okay to DUE TO HIPPA

http://sportsillustr...t2_a3&eref=sihp

Interesting piece from SI today about a reported fourth procedure on PMs neck, the 30 play red zone drill in front of Polian, Caldwell, and Christensen....

I know it's just more 'sources' say, but SI has been at this a little longer than most.

This could also explain a bit more about how Irsay has seemed to be more vocal and concered about PM's long term health and ability to live a normal life after football, and the immediate and contrary reaction to PM's docs saying he is 'cleared to play'. If there are bone spurs, or there have been discussions about the potential for additional procedures of surgeries, no wonder Irsay has publically talked about PM's life, not just football.

Strange thing is the article claims that Polian was aware of PM's throwing limitations to red zone. Yet Polian is now claiming he saw PM throw longer in December.

Yeah that's it.... Manning decided he is just wanting to retire, so he signed a medical release to have this leaked out so he can walk away... God knows it would be against HIPPA if it leaked some other way right.... Cause no way Manning being cleared for football leaked out during superbowl without Mannings approval, so this has to be under Mannings signed okay to DUE TO HIPPA

He's not WANTING to retire but I think he will be forced to retire. With a nerve issue so much of it is out of his hands. Only so much rehab can do.

My guess is the reports of bone spurs may be incorrect on a timeline basis, and they were caused by the bulging disc and addressed during the fusion surgery. Peyton has made it crystal clear that he intends to play again and that he has been progressing as scheduled, so what happened in December may be completely irrelevant.

Strange thing is the article claims that Polian was aware of PM's throwing limitations to red zone. Yet Polian is now claiming he saw PM throw longer in December.

Polian is earning money now from XM to be entertaining, or at least fill air time with interesting enough material to draw numbers. Polian may well also be hoping he lands, or Chris lands, another job in a front office. Plus, who fired him? Irsay. To me there are plenty of reasons Polian is not the most trustworthy source. His agenda is very different now than it was in December.

I may be in the minority, but I believe that Irsay's recent statement concerning Manning's contract is sincere. I do not think he is making a PR ploy at all. I think he was asked the question and just decided to answer it as honestly as possible. So I feel he is extending an olive branch and nothing more.

Coming straight to you Froggy... You said Manning was behind the whole leaking doctor reports of clear to play football during superbowl... You said would be Hippa violation if he didn't sign a medical release.... Do you feel it was in Manning's best interest to release this new info on 4th surgery? Do you think Manning signed medical release to allow that? Could it be Manning NEVER signed anything even a release for being cleared to play....

Timeout Caldwell, Jets playoff game, might be Peyton's last. Peyton probably has a hard time accepting that the snap he took before the Blair White drop resulting in a FG could be his last snap EVER. :(

Depressing but all good things have to come to an end at some point.

I think signs point to Irsay really pushing to win the PR battle. I think if Manning's health were in this much of jeopardy he would have already been released. Though I do think Manning is done in Indy. Irsay is forcing Manning out without looking like the bad guy. This is a HIPPA violation, irsay has the bank roll to handle that serious fine though.

I may be in the minority, but I believe that Irsay's recent statement concerning Manning's contract is sincere. I do not think he is making a PR ploy at all. I think he was asked the question and just decided to answer it as honestly as possible. So I feel he is extending an olive branch and nothing more.

I tend to agree.

It just bothers me that they're both playing this out in the media, who puts their various spins on 'what's trending'.

I wish they'd both keep it behind closed doors until there's a verdict.

Regardless of the outcome, I hope they both can come out of this with good reps.

My guess is the reports of bone spurs may be incorrect on a timeline basis, and they were caused by the bulging disc and addressed during the fusion surgery. Peyton has made it crystal clear that he intends to play again and that he has been progressing as scheduled, so what happened in December may be completely irrelevant.

i understand this must difficult for you. but you have to be realistic here

Going to play a what if game here.... Obviously information that should only be leaked with Manning signature is being leaked, but still leaked regardless...Cleared to play football, a possible 4th surgery... I'm feeling more and more this is Irsay 100% pulling PR... I bet he leaked the cleared to play to blame Manning, to continue make Manning bad guy... Didn't work let's push harder how fragile he is

Timeout Caldwell, Jets playoff game, might be Peyton's last. Peyton probably has a hard time accepting that the snap he took before the Blair White drop resulting in a FG could be his last snap EVER. :(

Depressing but all good things have to come to an end at some point.

You know? And I believe you were there, but wasn't it about one year ago on the previous board, there was much heated discussion that some insisted the Colts draft Manning's eventual replacement in the 2012 draft. We all knew he was about to sign a new 5 year contract, so many, including me, pooh-pooh'd the idea of having the 'eventual replacement' sit for 5 years. We also argued to rather pick up a better back up now, and draft the 'eventual replacement' in a couple of years.

Boy, if only we all knew what was around the corner.

Going to play a what if game here.... Obviously information that should only be leaked with Manning signature is being leaked, but still leaked regardless...Cleared to play football, a possible 4th surgery... I'm feeling more and more this is Irsay 100% pulling PR... I bet he leaked the cleared to play to blame Manning, to continue make Manning bad guy... Didn't work let's push harder how fragile he is

I don't think this will make Manning look like a bad guy. This is actually an 'out' for both Peyton and Irsay. Peyton can retire if this is true (and if his wife smacks him and talks some sense into him) and both Peyton & Irsay can come out of this situation with no winners. To me, it is a lose-lose situation, with no win-win situations here.

You know? And I believe you were there, but wasn't it about one year ago on the previous board, there was much heated discussion that some insisted the Colts draft Manning's eventual replacement in the 2012 draft. We all knew he was about to sign a new 5 year contract, so many, including me, pooh-pooh'd the idea of having the 'eventual replacement' sit for 5 years. We also argued to rather pick up a better back up now, and draft the 'eventual replacement' in a couple of years.

Boy, if only we all knew what was around the corner.

Oh yeah. Curtis Painter made sure there was an ultimate replacement. Colts fans should be indebted to him for a long time :).

That's exactly what I am thinking.

That's definitely your opinion and you're definitely entitled to it, my opinion of this post is that you're grasping at straws to vilify Irsay as much as possible.

Alleged genetic predisposition notwithstanding, bone spurs are not career ending or life threatening. So, I'm calling b.s. on the aforementioned article. I agree with buccolts, it's sad this stuff is playing out in public; Irsay twitters like a fifteen year old. He should chill the f out.

That's definitely your opinion and you're definitely entitled to it, my opinion of this post is that you're grasping at straws to vilify Irsay as much as possible.

I'll say. Peyton has been playing the politician game as much as Irsay. People are quick to jump all over Irsay but he knows more about the medical situation and Peyton's arm progress than anybody on this message board.

Also I've yet to read or hear anything where Irsay blamed Manning for the cleared to play release. If there is something you can provide where he did that would be great. To the best of my knowledge all he said in response was that Manning hasn't been cleared by the Colts yet.

The scary part in that article is the assertion that they have reason to believe that he will need additional surgery at some point, possibly even fusion. Who knows if this is true or not, but if he does indeed already have additional damage or weakness, than I would agree - he should retire. Right now he doesn't seem to have any quality of life issues. A second fusion surgery would likely change that. If that was me I wouldn't think it would be worth it to continue to play.

Well I can respect your thoughts as well... I'm just remembering when the cleared to play report came out it was from a COLTS trainer... Is that not possible for Irsay to say leak this out to one of HIS employees?