Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby Brissett Must Start in Week 2

BlueShoe

This Scott Tolzien nightmare has to be over. For the love of God, please end this. 

Chuck Pagano is on the verge of losing his job, because of his decision to stay with Tolzien.

The Tolzien era is over, and it shouldn't have taken this long to figure out. You have to be kidding me to think that Stephen Morris would have played that terrible. Not that Morris was the answer either, because he is not. 

At least Brissett gives us a chance to win, because he belongs in this league. 

This season is far from over. It's just one game, but if we stay with Tolzien then I am 100% sure we will see a new coaching staff next year. 

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Coltsman1788 said:

A coach who puts his chips in Tolzien deserves to be ousted sooner rather than later.  Hope Chuck stays stupid personally.

You have to put it on the guy who makes the personnel changes  as well.   Ballard ultimately decided tolzien  was gonna be the guy

29 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

A coach who puts his chips in Tolzien deserves to be ousted sooner rather than later.  Hope Chuck stays stupid personally.

I cannot argue with you about that. There is no rational argument for me to make.

I like Chuck Pagano, but this is the kind of decision that ends careers. Mistakes can be made, but these are hard to come back from. He is climbing an uphill battle from here. 

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You have to put it on the guy who makes the personnel changes  as well.   Ballard ultimately decided tolzien  was gonna be the guy

Possibly. That said, Tolzien was already here, and Chuck vouched for him.

Chuck is the one who owns the decision to keep Tolzien around.

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I cannot argue with you about that. There is no rational argument for me to make.

I like Chick Pagano, but this is the kind of decision that ends careers. Mistakes can be made, but these are hard to come back from. He is climbing an uphill battle from here. 

I like Chuck as a man.  He leaves lots to be desired as a head coach unfortunately.  Good man though.

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

Possibly. That said, Tolzien was already here, and Chuck vouched for him.

Chuck is the one who owns the decision to keep Tolzien around.

Wrong,   the decision to keep any player is on Ballard.   Chuck  can't drop players or make personnel changes

9 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Wrong,   the decision to keep any player is on Ballard.   Chuck  can't drop players or make personnel changes

I think you misunderstand the way a coach and GM relationship works, especially this one. 

The coaches pound the table for the players, and the GM makes decisions based on those recommendations. 

This is all on Chuck.

Had we started Brissett, and he played terrible then we would be having a different conversation. 

Just now, BlueShoe said:

Unless Brissett sets the world on fire, and makes everyone forget about Tolzien then I think it may be over for Chuck.

We will see.  I don't expect him to be fired mid season.  I think he gets this whole season and then Ballard will bring in who he really wants to in the off season.

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

Unless Brissett sets the world on fire, and makes everyone forget about Tolzien then I think it may be over for Chuck.

Aside from Luck returning to the field #1, that would be the best thing for this team right now

2 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

We will see.  I don't expect him to be fired mid season.  I think he gets this whole season and then Ballard will bring in who he really wants to in the off season.

I am not saying we will fire Pagano any time throughout the season. At least not while we are mathematically alive for the playoffs. Plus firing him in mid-season would strain the moral of the team. Best to do it at the end of the year (if we do).

What's infuriating is within the walls of Colts HQ they had to of known Luck was not progressing as they publically were saying.  With a lot of free agent money and a lot of time to select any number of veteran QBs, or heck even draft one, this team actually decided, willfully and knowingly decided, that Tolzien was the answer.     That's so horrible a decision I can't even begin to understand it.  And even if Luck was healthy, with his history of gettIng banged up, to have Tolzien as a backup is insane.  

Brissett is a complete unknown.  He may look better than Tolzien, and frankly it's almost impossible to play worse, but the fact that this thread has to exist, and the fact that it's true and accurate, is really pathetic.   

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Why isn't he getting any criticism?  

He can be criticized but he's isn't going anywhere anytime soon.  He just got here and everyone knows he will get a few years to try and build.  It usually gets uglier before it gets better.  Too soon to bring out the pitch forks for Ballard but Pagano is in a different boat altogether.

11 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I disagree. Pagano wanted to stick with scotty because he was a more experienced qb than Morris so ballard is allowing him to dig his own grave. He did tradevfor brissett as he saw tolzien and morris weren't the answer but he is allow Pagano to choose who to play so that he can't blame him or interfering like he did grigson

Its a real peculiar situation. You want Brissett to actually have time to learn the offense. However Tolzien is playing on the level of someone who doesnt know an ounce of the playbook. Its hard to say that Brissett could be worse even with the little bit he knows now of our playbook. I just think they need to admit this mistake and bring Morris back. How in Gods name do you explain Morris is not a better option at this point?

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

He can be criticized but he's isn't going anywhere anytime soon.  He just got here and everyone knows he will get a few years to try and build.  It usually gets uglier before it gets better.  Too soon to bring out the pitch forks for Ballard but Pagano is in a different boat altogether.

Pagano doesn't get to decide  what players are on the team.   Tolzien was green lit by Ballard

Just now, RockThatBlue said:

Saw a stat that 11 completions was the lowest amount for the Colts in almost 21 years. Means he played worse than Curtis Painter ever did.

He did. Painter threw two tds 0 ints and had a 99.4 qb rating in his first start yet still lost.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Its a real peculiar situation. You want Brissett to actually have time to learn the offense. However Tolzien is playing on the level of someone who doesnt know an ounce of the playbook. Its hard to say that Brissett could be worse even with the little bit he knows now of our playbook. I just think they need to admit this mistake and bring Morris back. How in Gods name do you explain Morris is not a better option at this point?

There is no proof that SM was/Will ever be the next Earl Morrall

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

I disagree. Pagano wanted to stick with scotty because he was a more experienced qb than Morris so ballard is allowing him to dig his own grave. He did tradevfor brissett as he saw tolzien and morris weren't the answer but he is allow Pagano to choose who to play so that he can't blame him or interfering like he did grigson

You have absolutely no idea what or who  made the decision to make tolzien  the backup.   But,   ballard is the one who makes personnel decisions.   It's on the whole front office

10 minutes ago, krunk said:

The Tolzien thing needs to end now. It ain't going anywhere. Period!

Oh it's going somewhere alright....it's going downhill, and quick. Ballard is at fault for keeping him over Morris, but he did get us Brissett. Now if Pagano plays Tolzien over Brissett, it's on him.

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

There is no proof that SM was/Will ever be the next Earl Morrall

Whos talking about Earl Morral? There is proof that Morris was likely the better quarterback over 2 seasons worth of preseason play. At the very least he has the arm strength to make the kind of throws this offense requires and he doesnt turn it over much. There really hasn't been overwhelming evidence Tolzien was ever the better option.

Just now, jvan1973 said:

You have absolutely no idea what or who  made the decision to make tolzien  the backup.   But,   ballard is the one who makes personnel decisions.   It's on the whole front office

All know is they traded for a qb and didn't want to start him because he doesnt know playbook and got rid of morris who looked better than Tolzien in games

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Before you call for Morris you must remember that a backups main job is to provide support for the starter 

No, for the Colts, for what could be 4 weeks or more, the primary job is to start and win football games.  Thats the point of this thread.    Alternatives to Tolzien.  The starter.  Not clipboards or baseball hats.  Not fetching Luck a beard comb.  Playing in and winning games.  Which by all appearances and history is unlikely to happen if it's Tolzien at QB. 

8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Jim Irsay admitted that we were close to bringing in a veteran quarterback in his 30's, but the decision was made to go with what we have.

This is on the coaches. If they were concerned about the talent at backup quarterback then they have to go to management and voice that concern. 

This is not the Ryan Grisgon regime anymore. Pagano fought to get Grigson out of his way (and rightfully so).

Make no mistake about it, this train wreck is pointed right back at Chuck Pagano. It hurts to even say it, because I really like Pagano. However, he is the one person to hold accountable for the decision to keep Scott Tolzien.