Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should Luck try to find a new team?

Mr.NotSoCreative

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

I've been emphasizing the importance of play action since 2012. And while I don't think you need to have a dominant rushing attack to have effective play action, the better your rushing attack is, the more effective your play action will be. And then there's all the stuff you can do off of play action -- bootlegs and roll outs -- that takes pressure off of the OL. 

Bingo, IIRC correctly when we have used P/A, even with a stunted run game, it's been very effective. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 1:57 PM, HarryTheCat said:

The time for Luck to bail would have been before he signed that new contract. Let's face it, would you have signed, knowing that 1) your head coach was a doofus who seemed completely incapable of putting together anything resembling a real game plan, and 2) most of the guys that your bonehead GM put around you were a bunch of overhyped, underachieving slappys? I'm kind of amazed that Luck didn't sit out his fifth year and demand to be released or traded. At least there's hope now with Ballard on board and Chuck strapped into an ejection seat that Irsay/Ballard could launch at the first sign of continued doofus-ness. 

No Luck didn't think that way. Just you and a few others.

42 minutes ago, Superman said:

I've been emphasizing the importance of play action since 2012. And while I don't think you need to have a dominant rushing attack to have effective play action, the better your rushing attack is, the more effective your play action will be. And then there's all the stuff you can do off of play action -- bootlegs and roll outs -- that takes pressure off of the OL. 

A couple of timing patterns thrown in wouldn't hurt nothing either.

4 hours ago, Superman said:

The Colts not using rollouts and bootlegs for Luck is borderline criminal. One of Lucks biggest weapon is his legs, and we never allow him to use them. I think I've had this conversation with you before lol. 

17 hours ago, dgambill said:

Indeed!!! Think about all those horrible Patriot teams that Tom Brady carried into the playoffs......ohh wait lol...I have to admit these current Indianapolis Colts remind me so much of the 2010-2011 Colts that Peyton carried into the playoffs and then turned around to fall apart when he sat out.....very frightening.

Tom Brady's always had good teams.  But he's not the only franchise QB out there.  

Phillip Rivers is a franchise QB and has been playing for a lot of bad chargers teams.  

Go back to the '80's and Dan Marino carried a lot of bad teams as well.

Franchise QB's don't typically leave their team because the team isn't very good.  

Now all of us certainly hope that the Colts put a good team around Luck so that the Colts have a chance at winning the SB in the future.  But I'm not worried about Luck trying to go play for another team.  

Honestly the biggest worry about Luck isn't that he will go play for another team.  It's that Luck will retire early.  Luck's a smart guy, has a lot of other things he could do with his life and has enough money now that he doesn't have to worry about money ever again.  

My biggest worry is that he will decide that it's not worth the pounding he's taking anymore, not want to put his brain at further risk for CTE, and will decide that there are other things he'd rather be doing.

I'm more worried about Luck retiring early then trying to leave for another team. 

5 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Tom Brady's always had good teams.  But he's not the only franchise QB out there.  

Phillip Rivers is a franchise QB and has been playing for a lot of bad chargers teams.  

Go back to the '80's and Dan Marino carried a lot of bad teams as well.

Franchise QB's don't typically leave their team because the team isn't very good.  

Now all of us certainly hope that the Colts put a good team around Luck so that the Colts have a chance at winning the SB in the future.  But I'm not worried about Luck trying to go play for another team.  

Honestly the biggest worry about Luck isn't that he will go play for another team.  It's that Luck will retire early.  Luck's a smart guy, has a lot of other things he could do with his life and has enough money now that he doesn't have to worry about money ever again.  

My biggest worry is that he will decide that it's not worth the pounding he's taking anymore, not want to put his brain at further risk for CTE, and will decide that there are other things he'd rather be doing.

I'm more worried about Luck retiring early then trying to leave for another team. 

Oh definitely...me as well....especially a few more years of the hits he has taken. Wouldn't it be crazy if Tom Brady outlasts Peyton and Luck both?? It would be the end of this message board for sure!

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Oh definitely...me as well....especially a few more years of the hits he has taken. Wouldn't it be crazy if Tom Brady outlasts Peyton and Luck both?? It would be the end of this message board for sure!

I doubt he'll retire before Brady, but I wouldn't put it past him to retire at the end of his current contract which is after the 2021 season or after the point in which he would no longer have to give back any of the signing bonus which would be after the 2020 season.

I'm nervous around then if Luck's going to re-up with the Colts or just retire.  I don't think he'd try to bolt for another team, we'd just franchise him for a few years.  But if he gets around 2020/2021 and starts thinking I've made enough money now and I'm really worried about my health if I keep playing football.  He could just retire instead of extending with the Colts.