Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2017-2018 Indiana Pacers and Everything NBA Thread

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

Get over Paul George,. You're going to have to.

He was born in LA..we didn't put ourselves in that position..

We couldnt trade him at midseason anymore than Utah could have traded Hayward at midseason/

Or OKC could have traded Durant bat season

That's message board insanity...

Paul George was the 10th pick.

Its a hindsight argument to say that you can only get good players in the Top10 and use PG drafted 10th as proof. Myles Turner was draft 111th. Jimmy Butler was 30th You make it sound like the dn nof the world. WE can never get any good players because we're the Pacers.

And you don't realize how negative and defeated that sounds

Trading all-stars for drafts choices is tanking by definition.

There were not reports midseason that Hayward and KD were going anywhere else. Before the trade deadline they were reports saying PG was going to LA. Different situations.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

I don't think it is that hard to develop a post game. I just don't think that has been the focus of his workouts. It needs to be because he is playing at center this season.

Blue..I'm not saying he will never be a center..

But now....when we both agree hes not strong enough...

He can do both depending on the matchup..but he;s only a small=ball '5' now

..let him be a '4'......he can get his shot off on any perimiter defender..and he can put the ball on the floor a little.

I think he can be   '5' when Leaf is the '4' and a '4' when Sabonis or Seraphin are the '5';

See what I mean?

1 minute ago, Bluefire4 said:

There were not reports midseason that Hayward and KD were going anywhere else. Before the trade deadline they were reports saying PG was going to LA. Different situations.

The big difference was that the Pacers were still viable at the trade deadline

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

Blue..no way, no how.......you just didn't hear it.

There have been reports that Hayward was going to Boston for 2 years now...His college.coach has been there 3

..and OKC was VERY worried publically that Durant would walk.

Its the same situation

You cant trade your best player at mid-season when you are a playoff team.

You cant run a franchise like that. You know that

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The big difference was that the Pacers were still viable at the trade deadline

Exactly.......and that's why Utah didn't deal Hayward and OKC didn't deal Durant.

They were playoff teams like we were

All 3 teams got caught by the star move..and we escaped with a two player consolation prize.

Sadly for OKC and Utah..they got nothing

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

By the way..just saw Brandon Ingram's summer league highlights...from Friday..

Magic was/is never going to deal that kid

I have said all along he had the best potential to be a Superstar out of he, Randle, and Russell. Magic knows what he is doing and would never trade Ingram. I am really surprised at how many people are making a big deal about how Lonzo played in 1 Summer League game. I wont even come close to judging him until the Regular Season starts.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have said all along he had the best potential to be a Superstar out of he, Randle, and Russell. Magic knows what he is doing and would never trade Ingram. I am really surprised at how many people are making a big deal about how Lonzo played in 1 Summer League game. I wont even come close to judging him until the Regular Season starts.

Ingram has Durant potential. Similar body types. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

CBE..his quirky shot does not worry you? Honestly?

1 minute ago, RockThatBlue said:

Ingram has Durant potential. Similar body types. 

If we could have gotten him for PG, we'd be a playoff team.

I love it when he sprained an ankle..and he wanted to keep playing and Magic stands up and says no way. Get him out of here

• Like 1

Just now, oldunclemark said:

CBE..his quirky shot does not worry you? Honestly?

Not really, he shot 40% from 3 in college. It wouldn't shock me at all if next game he shoots 6-10 from 3. He just had an off night and it's the Summer League. Jason Kidd struggled a lot from 3 and he was still an all-time great player because he was a great playmaker.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not really, he shot 40% from 3 in college. It wouldn't shock me at all if next game he shoots 6-10 from 3. He just had an off night and it's the Summer League. Jason Kidd struggled a lot from 3 and he was still an all-time great player because he was a great playmaker.

I'd hesitate to throw great this and great that around with a guy who is a year out of high school.

The NBA is brutal

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

I'd hesitate to throw great this and great that around with a guy who is a year out of high school.

The NBA is brutal

I said Jason Kidd was great. I think Lonzo has the potential to be. Lonzo will probably look bad at times during the season but he's a rookie. Almost all rookies have bad moments. Kobe Bryant had a terrible rookie season and he was playing with Shaq. Not until his 4th season did he start to become great.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We do write guys off really fast.

We LOVE draft choices until we see them play..and then they have flaws..and we don't love them so much

Paul George, Kawhi Leonard and Jimmy Butler were far from stars their first year

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I said Jason Kidd was great. I think Lonzo has the potential to be. Lonzo will probably look bad at times during the season but he's a rookie. Almost all rookies have bad moments. Kobe Bryant had a terrible rookie season and he was playing with Shaq. Not until his 4th season did he start to become great.

I'm not even sure I'd call Jason Kidd a great player

Paul George,.Gordon Hayward....'great'?  Not yet

I dont know if there's 100 great players in the history of the NBA.

My definition is a little different

• Like 1

A lot of people may say why aren't you giving D'Angelo Russell the benefit of the doubt as he is young. 2 reasons why there, 1 he was a bad locker room guy and that is per several of his teammates and Magic Johnson saying this being around the team, 2 he lacked Leadership to be a true Great Point Guard. He is more of a shooting Guard. Magic wanted a guy that can run the Point, Pass first type of a guy. So I understand why LA traded Russell. They got rid of Mozgov's contract too and picked up a Good quality Center in Lopez.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

How many great players are there in the NBA today?

There's LeBron and Kevin Durant and who else?   

Maybe Nowitzki at the end of his career  .....but I'm talking great

Of course if you are going to do a Top 100 NBA list of all-time, you are going to have 33 Great players, 33 Very Good players, and 33 Good players. Because the final 33/34 aren't going to be on the level of your first 33. Everyone in that Top 100 would be Good at worse though. Jason Kidd IMO is a Top 50 player of all-time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Of course if you are going to do a Top 100 NBA list of all-time, you are going to have 33 Great players, 33 Very Good players, and 33 Good players. Because the final 33/34 aren't going to be on the level of your first 33. Everyone in that Top 100 would be Good at worse though. Jason Kidd IMO is a Top 50 player of all-time.

See, I would not....

When we talk all-time...we tend to talk about players we have seen.

Well,. I saw Bob Cousy...Elgin Baylor...Spencer Haywood..

Cousy was better than Kidd, to me..

If you can only have 100 over the entire 60-70 years of the NBA....you've got to leave a lot of guys out

Vince Carter isnt Top-100 and he;s played 20 years.

..and then we confuse 'best' and 'greatest'.....that's really 2 different things

See, I would not....

If you can only have 100 over the entire 60-70 years of the NBA....you've got to leave a lot of guys out

Vince Carter isnt Top-100 and he;s played 20 years

I would have to study it more closely but Vince may not be Top 100. Cousy is Top 30 IMO.

4 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

See, I would not....

Vince Carter isnt Top-100 and he;s played 20 years

We are talking only 100 players of multi thousands that have played so I doubt Vince makes it. Doesn't mean he hasn't had a solid career.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

That's just not true at all.....maybe you didnt pay attention to it because it was out-of-town

There has been talk of Hayward going to Boston for 2 years...That's been said on the talk shows for years.

he never said he wasn't going. He never said he would be in Utah this year (like Paul did with us)

Boston fans were sure he was coming..and Utah was worried about it

..and OKC always thought they were losing Durant.  Read the stories in OKC after he left

The Supermax deals were negotiated in with OKC in mind...trying to keep star players in small markets.

Durant said his heart was in OKC..He suggested he;d always stay

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

Correction: Paul George ...was traded to OKC. .....It was in all the news.

You missed it a bit.

You said he'd leave for the Lakers and we'll be terrible for 10 years..

Check our roster...thankfully, we're not going to be terrible for even one season.

I only set you straight because you suggest you can predict the future,

Might be time for a new crystal ball

..but after patting yourself on the back for our need to restructure, you''ll have to admit it doesnt matter to you if you think the franchise is hopeless

you're delusional

• Like 2

Elgin Baylor has to be Top 20.

I don't know.  That's what Im saying...He probably has to be

Julius Erving has to be....he carried his league

Johnny Red Kerr......George Mikan.  Nate (Tiny) Archibald was Iverson before Iverson got out of grade school

There's been so many NBA Players

I don't know.  That's what Im saying...He probably has to be

Julius Erving has to be....he carried his league

Johnny Red Kerr......George Mikan.  Nate (Tiny) Archibald was Iverson before Iverson got out of grade school

There's been so many NBA Players

Dr J makes my Top 20

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would have to study it more closely but Vince may not be Top 100. Cousy is Top 30 IMO.

You hit it right there.

We'd really have to study it.....Pistol Pete didnt stand the test of time or win ttiles but he took Cousy's stuff to another level

Dr J makes my Top 20

Maurice Lucas isn't top 100..right?

Darryl Dawkins isn't Top-100

...Bob Love. Chet Walker, Tom Boerwinkle, Norm Van Lier. Jerry Sloan.

Chicago heroes.....Forever!!!   Top-100 players all time...wow ...probably not

5 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

You hit it right there.

We'd really have to study it.....Pistol Pete didnt stand the test of time or win ttiles but he took Cousy's stuff to another level

Yeah a lot of too is accomplishments and longevity but Pistol Pete is no doubt Top 100 easily. When healthy, he was freakin unreal. He is probably Top 50 or 60. College wise he is Top 5.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Maurice Lucas isn't top 100..right?

Darryl Dawkins isn't Top-100

...Bob Love. Chet Walker, Tom Boerwinkle, Norm Van Lier. Jerry Sloan.

Chicago heroes.....Forever!!!   Top-100 players all time...wow ...probably not

I would have to study it more, I can reel off a Top 25 pretty easily but after that it gets dicey.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah a lot of too is accomplishments and longevity but Pistol Pete is no doubt Top 100 easily. When healthy, he freakin unreal. He is probably Top 50 or 60. College wise he is Top 5.

That's a whole other room..

College Top-50..

Bill Walton wasn't NBA Top 100 but he certainly was College Top-50\

Same with David Thompson of NC State

Austin Carr of ND

Edited by oldunclemark