Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2017-2018 Indiana Pacers and Everything NBA Thread

28 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

The Pacers couldn't keep Paul George, as you know

They never had leverage ..once it became known he wanted to go to LA...as you know..

The deals you heard about (for players  Boston is now unloading or 4 Atlanta draft choices) were not as good as the 2 players they got.. as you know.

I like what they got for him. I like Victor Oladipo a lot.

I think you do, too but you cant admit it during this 'Terrible deal' debate.

You are delusional.  

But it is all of us Pacer fans who have to settle for what we have.  

8 minutes ago, Myles said:

Just to clarify:

I like the Pacers and they do a great job at putting a competitive team on the floor.   I think next year they will do the same.   Probably get close to .500.    That is great for a team in Indiana's situation.   But a Championship is not going to happen.

Todays NBA is driven by the top 10 players in the league.  The Pacers cannot attract a top free agent.   Too many other draws out there.   With the "super team" concept becoming even more popular, it doesn't help the Pacers.   So they need this guy from the draft.   Unfortunately picking in the high teens or low 20's has a low shot of getting a stud.    Should they tank?   NO.   However they should make trades that can land them in the top 10.

But Myles...

We got Paul George 10th and Myles Turner 11th..Vic Oladipo was 2nd.

You've giving me NBA theory and that's fine.. I don't agree but that's fine

Trading to create a scenario to get low choices is tanking., in my opinion

We disagree. But forget about that for a second. That's not my point.

My point is: Why do you argue so long and hard against the future possibility of success of what I believe is YOUR team?  Why insist upon a stack of promises that YOUR team is going in the wrong direction and cant possibly win?   What does that prove about a future we can both agree is unknown?

What is that motivation?

Edited by oldunclemark

14 minutes ago, Myles said:

You are delusional.  

But it is all of us Pacer fans who have to settle for what we have.  

Positive is delusional

Negative is honest.

See what I'm asking you?  Why is it worth an insult to be positive?

Forget us Why is it good for you to project failure when we don't know?

Edited by oldunclemark

Just now, aaron11 said:

vic was just over drafted, the magic blew it

the pacers still need high picks to get starts

You aren't familiar with Oladipo's first 4 years in the NBA..

He's been fine..

Most No. 1 picks are average like last season. Oladipo is not average.

6 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

You aren't familiar with Oladipo's first 4 years in the NBA..

He's been fine..

Most No. 1 picks are average like last season. Oladipo is not average.

you seem to like him a lot more than everyone else, including the sports wrtiers. 

he looks very average to me.  it doesnt look like his draft class was all that great though

14 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

But Myles...

We got Paul George 10th and Myles Turner 11th..Vic Oladipo was 2nd.

You've giving me NBA theory and that's fine.. I don't agree but that's fine

Trading to create a scenario to get low choices is tanking., in my opinion

We disagree. But forget about that for a second. That's not my point.

Exactly!   Paul George was the best player to play for the Pacers in the last 15 years.   We had to have a top 10 pick to get him.  Trading to get draft picks is not always tanking.   It's planning for the future.   It's playing the system that you are forced to use.  

If the Pacers cannot get a top 10 player via free agency, they must do it through the draft.   The higher pick they have, the better the odds are.   How do you not understand that?

Like I said, given the position the Pacers put themselves in, they trade was decent.   They blew it by putting themselves in that situation.    

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

you must be an IU fan

espn put him at 29th, too many better players for him to be above average

http://insider.espn.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/sg

Ouch.   That's 29th of just shooting guards.    Granted these ranking have some major flaws, but even taking that into account,   you'd have to consider him a disappointment as a #2 draft choice.  

8 minutes ago, Myles said:

Ouch.   That's 29th of just shooting guards.    Granted these ranking have some major flaws, but even taking that into account,   you'd have to consider him a disappointment as a #2 draft choice.  

Perhaps, but he also appears to be quite an upgrade from what they had last year.

• Like 1

Just now, buccolts said:

Perhaps, but he also appears to be quite an upgrade from what they had last year.

No question there.   I think the Pacers are a better team except for SF.   They should end up close to where they were last year.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think OKC is going to surprise you, they wont beat the Warriors but they will make the WCFinals IMO.

I HIGHLY doubt it, with both setting their eyes on LA next year, OKC's second half of the season might be pretty ugly.

1 hour ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

Celtics trying to clear that cap space.  Just sent Avery Bradley to Detroit for Marcus Morris and a 2nd Round pick.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19893312/boston-celtics-trading-avery-bradley-detroit-pistons

They needed another big so it's not a bad move. Avery Bradley is gonna be really good for the Pistons though. He's a great locker room guy and a better teammate

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I agree each will help their new respective teams a lot.

1 hour ago, Luck is Good said:

They needed another big so it's not a bad move. Avery Bradley is gonna be really good for the Pistons though. He's a great locker room guy and a better teammate

Why didn't they just trade us Bradley, Olynyk, and a 2nd Round pick for PG. I believe that was offered now. That would've been better than Dipo and Sabonis for us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Why didn't they just trade us Bradley, Olynyk, and a 2nd Round pick for PG. I believe that was offered now. That would've been better than Dipo and Sabonis for us.

Yeah that would've been better. I definitely think the Pacers pulled the trigger too fast

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

Yeah that would've been better. I definitely think the Pacers pulled the trigger too fast

Odd that they both pulled trigger too late and too early.   You are correct though, they may have done better had they waited a little longer.   Here is a little from ESPN for what it is worth:

Hayward is perfect for Boston. Had the Pacers waited five days, the Celtics might have Paul George, too. When the league lowered its cap projection from about $101 million to $99 million, it became trickier for Boston to acquire George before free agency and leave enough space for Hayward.

With Hayward aboard, Boston would have at least revived its draft-day offer: two starters and three picks from among Boston's own first-rounders and protected selections coming from the Clippers and Grizzlies. They might have even shoved in one of their golden chips -- next season's Brooklyn pick or the Lakers-Kings pick they snagged in the Markelle Fultz deal -- to get across the goal line. Indiana will never know.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Myles said:

Odd that they both pulled trigger too late and too early.   You are correct though, they may have done better had they waited a little longer.   Here is a little from ESPN for what it is worth:

Hayward is perfect for Boston. Had the Pacers waited five days, the Celtics might have Paul George, too. When the league lowered its cap projection from about $101 million to $99 million, it became trickier for Boston to acquire George before free agency and leave enough space for Hayward.

With Hayward aboard, Boston would have at least revived its draft-day offer: two starters and three picks from among Boston's own first-rounders and protected selections coming from the Clippers and Grizzlies. They might have even shoved in one of their golden chips -- next season's Brooklyn pick or the Lakers-Kings pick they snagged in the Markelle Fultz deal -- to get across the goal line. Indiana will never know.

It does make me a bit depressed...

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Holy crap, I was dead wrong all this time on Boston never trading Averly Bradley, this shocked me.:eek: But the more I looked into it, Bradley is a FA next year and he was never going to get paid in Boston. This is a very "Patriot like move" in getting value ahead of time in return for something you won't keep a year later.

Does suck though, Averly Bradley is a good little workhorse and will be a good addition to the Pistons. But at the same time WOWZA, looks like the Celtics are really really serious about becoming a bigger team with all around size.........

Hilariously Boston got the Morris twin to the guy on the Wizards. Big dudes too........6'9. Maybe this softens the dirty vibes now that Boston vs. Washington showed in the playoffs.

marcus-markieff-morris-5417-usnews-getty

People always forget about the Wizards too, they are a very very good team........I always wanted to see them vs. the Cavs too in the playoffs. Heck of a talented team.

Kinda wished now Indy could have gotten Bradley from Boston instead, very underrated guy........big favorite of mine at times. He would have been great in the Pacers locker room.

But it is what it is with the PG thing now. Sigh.........

• Like 1

Just now, Jules said:

I don't know, Anthony Davis is pretty amazing.......

I didn't say he was Anthony Davis but he us a beast defender and a good shooter he gets man handled at the 5 he's better suited for the 4 we need a big guy at the 5 

• Like 1