Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2017-2018 Indiana Pacers and Everything NBA Thread

13 hours ago, Myles said:

Just to clarify:

I like the Pacers and they do a great job at putting a competitive team on the floor.   I think next year they will do the same.   Probably get close to .500.    That is great for a team in Indiana's situation.   But a Championship is not going to happen.

Todays NBA is driven by the top 10 players in the league.  The Pacers cannot attract a top free agent.   Too many other draws out there.   With the "super team" concept becoming even more popular, it doesn't help the Pacers.   So they need this guy from the draft.   Unfortunately picking in the high teens or low 20's has a low shot of getting a stud.    Should they tank?   NO.   However they should make trades that can land them in the top 10.

How can you say that? The NBA wasn't a star driven league when MJ was in it? Bird Magic? Really? It's always been that way.  The Bulls took off when they traded for Pippen. We drafted Reggie among others including PG building the same way we are now. We got to a few ECF's and a finals. We ran into Kobe and Shaq. We went to 2 straight ECF's in 2014, 2013 and lost to the player who's team has gone from the East what is it 7 straight times.

You are saying something won't work that the Pacers have done successfully for 25 years. We have been to the ECF's NO ONE beat MJ and no one in the East has beat Lebron. We went 7 with Chicago more than once and we had Miami in 2013 and let them off the hook We let off the damn hook We know who... anyway 

Who are we getting in the draft to beat Lebron? Are you saying we need to plant ourselves in the lottery until we draft a Lebron, Curry who else? Those are the big game changers right now. 

Lonzo Ball looks horrible in summer league. :pokerface: I will give him another chance since I honestly even feel sorry for him tonight with all these missed shots and bricks. Since his dad is on the sideline still doing embarrassing interviews. Yeah he can pass the ball..........:sleepy:

He has to pick it up soon since Jayson Tatum has looked great and Fultz has looked very good too in spurts with serious potential.

Sorry but one more, last for tonight I promise.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19909249/lavar-ball-says-lonzo-ball-rookie-year-award-sewn-up

LAS VEGAS -- LaVar Ball says Lonzo Ball has the NBA Rookie of the Year Award "sewn up" and that the Los Angeles Lakers will add the hardware they truly covet if LeBron James ever plays with his son.

"Heck yeah!" LaVar told ESPN while watching his son make his Lakers debut in a Las Vegas Summer League game against the Clippers on Friday. "Lonzo and LeBron? Come on man! That's real deal. You don't want to give him the best player in the world. You don't want to give Lonzo the best player in the world and don't get no championship? Shoot."

:eek::eek::eek:

I am so utterly speechless. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

He is going to ruin his sons career

I am a Ball family hater and proud of it, but tonight I even had twinges of feeling sorry for Lonzo. He looked to even lack confidence to me. Maybe he picks it up soon, but his father is just........cancer.......

• Like 2

Just now, Jules said:

I am a Ball family hater and proud of it, but tonight I even had twinges of feeling sorry for Lonzo. He looked to even lack confidence to me. Maybe he picks it up soon, but his father is just........cancer.......

Maybe it is the coach in me but I feel the same way

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Maybe it is the coach in me but I feel the same way

I wish I could be that kind. As a former coach myself I'm not just feeling it.

I didn't watch the game maybe seeing him struggle would trigger something I'll say reading his dads comments did not help. How can anyone cheer for that? I know it's not all on Lonzo but he's not a kid anymore. Pops needs to be reeled in but can he? Would he even listen to Magic?  

I really feel like the Lakers could have FA repellent The Clips would love that. Lavar shifts the hoops power in the city of angels just not in the way he wanted. Perfect ending 

11 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Why won't we just let Turner play the 4 he is so much better there....

He needs to play center. He is 6'11 and not agile enough to defend stretch 4's. Building strength and developing post moves are skills he can develop.

On 7/6/2017 at 8:13 PM, oldunclemark said:

to all...

Releasing Monta Ellis means what cap wise..??

WE still have to pay him..is the money off our cap.?

If so, who are we freeing up money to sign?

We signed our 3. The Wiz made Bogdanovich a FA probably to match Otto yikes. We were on it quickly. I read 2 years 21M. Bogdanovich gives us a little more size and he can shoot the 3 if not much else.

It looks like Collison Olidipo Bognavonich Thad Myles will be our first 5. All of the  starters are comfortable from deep with at least 100 3pt attempts last season.  They all shot it better than 35%  GS can't even say that. 

Lance will lead the second unit with Young GR3 Sabonis and Seraphin as we sit. Leaf Ike Al and Niang behind them. That's a lot of bigs. Hopefully we have a couple more moves in mind. 

I want to see Joey Buckets get minutes this year. We should move Al. 

8 hours ago, Jules said:

Lonzo looks more like Brian Scalabrine than Steph Curry so far.

*whistles* Should have kept Russell.........

But yeah I am no hater clearly, lmao, going to give him another chance.:FlamingoDancing:

Oh I can tell this is going to be a long season for Lonzo regarding his haters. Anytime he has 1 bad game, it's doom for him from the media. The hating begins already after 1 Summer League game. I honestly didn't even realized the Lakers played last night until I started reading this Thread. Regarding Russell, he isn't that good and was a cancer in the locker room so getting rid of him was a must. Lonzo will have the better career compared to Russell that I have no doubt about. I did/do like Fox a hair better than Lonzo though and was on record saying so. I think both will end up Very Good to Great. Russ is going to disappear in Nets land.

55 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Oh I can tell this is going to be a long season for Lonzo regarding his haters. Anytime he has 1 bad game, it's doom for him from the media. The hating begins already after 1 Summer League game. I honestly didn't even realized the Lakers played last night until I started reading this Thread. Regarding Russell, he isn't that good and was a cancer in the locker room so getting rid of him was a must. Lonzo will have the better career compared to Russell that I have no doubt about. I did/do like Fox a hair better than Lonzo though and was on record saying so. I think both will end up Very Good to Great. Russ is going to disappear in Nets land.

He had a great lob pass to Brandon Ingram to begin the game. After that, he just wasn't that good. Lonzo ended with just 5 points and that's not acceptable. 2-15 shooting from the field and 1-11 from 3 point range. Had 4 rebounds and 5 assists as well. Ingram was really good though. I definitely wanted him

11 hours ago, akcolt said:

Are you saying we need to plant ourselves in the lottery until we draft a Lebron, Curry who else? Those are the big game changers right now. 

its the only way we will win a title

lebron, curry and since you mentioned him, MJ were lottery picks themselves.  who said anything about tanking every year?  we have never done it, this is the best time since before reggie to rebuild

7 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

He needs to play center. He is 6'11 and not agile enough to defend stretch 4's. Building strength and developing post moves are skills he can develop.

I don't think Turner is ever going to be much of a post player. Hes been in the NBA for two years and has practicality zero post moves. I think hes mostly like Chris Bosh (though Bosh had a few post moves, but not many) and will be mostly a shooter with the occasional play in the post.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luck is Good said:

He had a great lob pass to Brandon Ingram to begin the game. After that, he just wasn't that good. Lonzo ended with just 5 points and that's not acceptable. 2-15 shooting from the field and 1-11 from 3 point range. Had 4 rebounds and 5 assists as well. Ingram was really good though. I definitely wanted him

Yeah until I came here this morning I didn't even realize the Lakers played. I went to bed early. I wouldn't put much stock into 1 Summer League game, IMO Summer League is pretty meaningless. It's not even on Pre-Seasons level.

42 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

its the only way we will win a title

lebron, curry and since you mentioned him, MJ were lottery picks themselves.  who said anything about tanking every year?  we have never done it, this is the best time since before reggie to rebuild

Problem with the Pacers is and it's always been a problem, no big name Free Agents ever want to come here. I am shocked David West even came here. Only way we ever get back on top/be a contender like going to ECFinals is if we get lucky and Draft someone that turns out extra special. Even then they will probably end up leaving after 6 or 7 years lmao 

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 8:47 AM, aaron11 said:

you must be an IU fan

espn put him at 29th, too many better players for him to be above average

http://insider.espn.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/sg

You must not be an NBA fan

You're saying that average players average 15 points a game for 4 years and make the all-rookie team in their debut..

That's not the real world

also: This list is a joke as I know you agree.

Andrew Wiggins (listed here) is not a guard)

Lou Williams is not a shooting guard

Anderson, Ginoblli and Lamb don't play 20 minutes a game

No one seriously thinks Manu Ginobli who can hardly play 2 games in a row anymore is better than Victor Oladipo who plays 30 minutes a night

Victor Oladipo is not an average player

Edited by oldunclemark
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Problem with the Pacers is and it's always been a problem, no big name Free Agents ever want to come here. I am shocked David West even came here.  Even then they will probably end up leaving after 6 or 7 years lmao 

CBE..listen to how negative you sound.

No one will come here. No one will stay here.  So it does not matter who you acquire or draft, does it?

There is an inferiority complex raging here.

We've got to fold the franchise, right?  Move it to Omaha.

You have to if no one will ever come here or stay here.   

Can you hear yourself?

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

I don't think Turner is ever going to be much of a post player. Hes been in the NBA for two years and has practicality zero post moves. I think hes mostly like Chris Bosh (though Bosh had a few post moves, but not many) and will be mostly a shooter with the occasional play in the post.

I agree....Myles has the quickness to be an affective forward..and , while he could bulk up to be more powerful, it would slow him.As he ages. he'll become slower and more of a post play by body..

But right now..in his early 20s, I'd like to see him at the '4'

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

He's not strong enough to be  a '5', Blue.

Tristan Thomposn pushes him around and he's not that powerful ether

3 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

lol I don't want Lonzo to be a bust... that's too easy.. I just hope he's one  of those guys who plays the last 2 mins when a team is up 20.. one of those guys who wins a championship and is spraying champagne all over his.. clean jersey lol.  

lmao That's cold. 

suo8lkl8ez52acljf3rr.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jules said:

Lonzo Ball looks horrible in summer league. :pokerface: I will give him another chance since I honestly even feel sorry for him tonight with all these missed shots and bricks. Since his dad is on the sideline still doing embarrassing interviews. Yeah he can pass the ball..........:sleepy:

He has to pick it up soon since Jayson Tatum has looked great and Fultz has looked very good too in spurts with serious potential.

I feel bad for Lonzo......2 of 15?

He's feeling the pressure ....

He's a pro-style ball handler

..but that shot has to be changed...He cant shoot that way

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 8:50 AM, Myles said:

Exactly!   Paul George was the best player to play for the Pacers in the last 15 years.   We had to have a top 10 pick to get him.  Trading to get draft picks is not always tanking. 

Like I said, given the position the Pacers put themselves in, they trade was decent.   They blew it by putting themselves in that situation.    

Get over Paul George,. You're going to have to.

He was born in LA..we didn't put ourselves in that position..

We couldnt trade him at midseason anymore than Utah could have traded Hayward at midseason/

Or OKC could have traded Durant bat season

That's message board insanity...

Paul George was the 10th pick.

Its a hindsight argument to say that you can only get good players in the Top10 and use PG drafted 10th as proof. Myles Turner was draft 111th. Jimmy Butler was 30th You make it sound like the dn nof the world. WE can never get any good players because we're the Pacers.

And you don't realize how negative and defeated that sounds

Trading all-stars for drafts choices is tanking by definition.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 9:49 AM, BullsColtsFan1 said:

Celtics trying to clear that cap space.  Just sent Avery Bradley to Detroit for Marcus Morris and a 2nd Round pick.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19893312/boston-celtics-trading-avery-bradley-detroit-pistons

I'm glad we didnt settle for the players Boston wanted to dump.

Bradley is good but he wants $18-$20 mil and his contract is up next summer

I doubt Detroit resigns him any more than we would have

18 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Can you hear yourself?

you always say the team will move away if we are bad for a year or two

that makes no sense, lots of teams are bad and they dont pick up and leave town

21 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Bogdanovic averaged 11.3 points over 238 games and 121 starts from 2014-2015 to 2016-2017 with Nets and Wizards

Good addition..

He's not going to 'D' up LeBron or DeRozen in this lifetime but he can shoot and he can pass and he a lot of NBA experience

We now gave 5 players (Oladipo, Thad, Collison, Bogdonavic and Myles Turner) with career double figure scoring averages..

....so we can put a pretty good starting 5 (Bogdonavic might come off the bench)  on the floor

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

history shows this is true unless we draft them

its a fact that anyone can see

You arent smart enough to predict the future.

History does not predict the future.

But if you dont like the Pacers team and you think its hopeless. I understand

29 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

You arent smart enough to predict the future.

History does not predict the future.

But if you dont like the Pacers team and you think its hopeless. I understand

i was smart enough to predict paul george leaving

one of us was right about that, and one of us was wrong :headspin:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i was smart enough to predict paul george leaving

one of us was right about that, and one of us was wrong :headspin:

Correction: Paul George ...was traded to OKC. .....It was in all the news.

You missed it a bit.

You said he'd leave for the Lakers and we'll be terrible for 10 years..

Check our roster...thankfully, we're not going to be terrible for even one season.

I only set you straight because you suggest you can predict the future,

Might be time for a new crystal ball

..but after patting yourself on the back for our need to restructure, you''ll have to admit it doesnt matter to you if you think the franchise is hopeless

Edited by oldunclemark

23 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Why didn't they just trade us Bradley, Olynyk, and a 2nd Round pick for PG. I believe that was offered now. That would've been better than Dipo and Sabonis for us.

WE couldnt take Bradley because his contract is almost up and he wants all-star money.

He;d be leaving from the moment he got here

2 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

I don't think it is that hard to develop a post game. I just don't think that has been the focus of his workouts. It needs to be because he is playing at center this season.

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

CBE..listen to how negative you sound.

No one will come here. No one will stay here.  So it does not matter who you acquire or draft, does it?

There is an inferiority complex raging here.

Can you hear yourself?

It may be negative but name me 1 GREAT Free Agent when Paul George was here that came here, the answer is none. David West was Very Good but wasn't a SuperStar, other than that zilch. I am saying Great players not Good Role players.

• Like 1