Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Questions About The 2012 Offense

ColtsHoosiersBB

Now that the Caldwell experiment is finally closed, there is a sense of renewed optimism

for the Colts organization with the addition of a 3-4 defensive minded head coach in

Pagano.Hopefully the bend and don't break mentality of the past defenses will be

replaced with a smash mouth, aggressive and in your face type defense.

We all have an idea of where the defense is headed but the big question is the Offense?

Question 1. With the hiring of a new OC, do the Colts go with a bigger offensive line and

rely on more of a running game than years past?

Question 2. Whether we go with Luck or the kid from Baylor with the first pick, do the Colts

still keep the no huddle offense or do they go with a more traditional huddle offense?

If Peyton is back:

1 - yes, but we would still be a pass first team

2 - we should run no huddle a lot

If Peyton isn't back:

1 - yes, more than if Peyton was back

2 - we would probably run mostly a traditional huddle offense until the QB gets a good grasp of the playbook.

I remember reading somewhere that after Peyton got drafted, he got the playbook from the coaches. The day after, he went to practice and had the entire playbook memorized

Pretty much exactly what 21isSuperman said. If you have a rookie QB starting you want to have a run game to help take pressure off of him. It's hard telling if Arians will adapt to the offense we've been running, have a mixture of old plus his new, or change totally to what he knows. I've said the same thing about Pagano, I think you change to what you know. It's the best way that he can try to succeed at the job. If you try to do something you're not you set yourself up for failure. I think it will be a blend until they get all the personnel they want to have, and then the all out change will come.

I think this topic could have a profound impact on Manning. I have not heard it discussed yet from the team...what if they make Peyton learn a new offense? Would that make him more or less willing to restructure? Or if he thinks he is going to have to learn a new system anyway why not do it elsewhere?

I think this topic could have a profound impact on Manning. I have not heard it discussed yet from the team...what if they make Peyton learn a new offense? Would that make him more or less willing to restructure? Or if he thinks he is going to have to learn a new system anyway why not do it elsewhere?

Changing to a new system, but for the same team, with a lot of the same players, some of the same coaches, in the same building, in the same town, where his family is...

That's a lot different from changing to a new system, with a new team, with entirely different players and coaches, in a new stadium and practice facility, going to a new site for training camp, in a new city, away from his family.

I think we were building towards a bigger O-Line anyway... And plus i think arians (or however you spell it) came out and said their gonna try to improve the running game. and i think if we take luck, then were gonna keep the same offense. maybe tone it down a little bit for his first few years till he gets used to the pro game. then let him open it up. i really don't know what wed do with griffin, so i don't really have an opinion haha

Superman, excellent points, its not a true new system. I agree.

But back to the original questions...I think the system has to come into the conversation. The new HC seems much more like a run the ball, stop the run, control the game and win with good defense. Do I like that? Yes I Iike it for the Steelers or the Ravens, but I dont know if I like it for our identity.

Now that the Caldwell experiment is finally closed, there is a sense of renewed optimism

for the Colts organization with the addition of a 3-4 defensive minded head coach in

Pagano.Hopefully the bend and don't break mentality of the past defenses will be

We all have an idea of where the defense is headed but the big question is the Offense?

Question 1. With the hiring of a new OC, do the Colts go with a bigger offensive line and

Question 2. Whether we go with Luck or the kid from Baylor with the first pick, do the Colts

still keep the no huddle offense or do they go with a more traditional huddle offense?

I would guess that the colts have one of the bigger offensive lines in the league right now. Bigger doesn't always mean better though, the Texan's have the smallest O-line in the NFL if I remember right, but they have one of the best O-lines if not the best.

I think with or without Manning Colts should stay a pass-oriented team, but we should lean on rush games a little bit more. It would give us more versatile play calls.

The other problem in Offense, that QB should be better protected (Orlovsky was continously under pressure from lef...or right???) if we have a rookie QB that would be more important.

I think a lot of these questions will depend on who we retain for next year... If Manning, Wayne, Garcon and Saturday are all gone then I def. see us going into a more balanced/ run oriented offense. If we retain the majority of those players, especially Manning I still see us becoming a more balanced team but leaning more to a pass first oriented team.

The D should be really fun to watch. I love the idea of a hybrid D that can change it up depending on the team and scenario we are playing in. We will def need a few new people on D if we are to run any version of a 3-4 but I think with where we are in the draft this year gives us a great opportunity to get some versitile players.

Should be a fun off season!

The running game is so 1990s...

My love for Donald Brown knows no bounds...

..but the Colts play indoors and in warm weather cities over 85% of the season...

unlike the Bears who play outdoors on the Lakefront and in Green Bay every year....

To me..Indy should throw the ball 40 times a game...

..I'd look for the monster NE-style tight ends....and more pass catching halfbacks like Sproyles of New Orleans..

The running game is so 1990s...

My love for Donald Brown knows no bounds...

..but the Colts play indoors and in warm weather cities over 85% of the season...

unlike the Bears who play outdoors on the Lakefront and in Green Bay every year....

To me..Indy should throw the ball 40 times a game...

..I'd look for the monster NE-style tight ends....and more pass catching halfbacks like Sproyles of New Orleans..

I definently agree with you on the monster NE style TE's. but we do have RB's like that, Addai and brown are pretty decent pass catching HB's. but the TE's we need. trade clark for a first rounder or a player and a second rounder use the pick for a defensive player and in the the middle of the draft 3rd or 4th round get a monster like TE. if there is one available lol

The reason NE has those monster TE's is because they don't draft high enough to get elite young WR's. When teams figure out how to scheme them (as Pitt did), or can bracket cover them (as Baltimore and NYG did), the offense bogs down to a crawl. You need speed somewhere, and TE's don't give you that.

Having one on the roster is definitely a valuable weapon, but I wouldn't want to run an offense like they do. I'd prefer one more like NO, or heck...the one Manning usually runs and will run when he starts.

Sticking with the thread theme...

Q1 - Despite various circumstances some here have cited, the Colt run game was improved in 2011 and I'd expect that trend to continue regardless of anything else. I think we'll be better at running the ball even though I don't believe we'll be a run first team. The O-line doesn't have to be bigger....the rotation just needs to settle & gel. I fully expect an addition or two to the O-line in April and/or FA this offseason.

Q2 - I think the offense should be able to shift gears and be adaptable. Indications are this is how our defense will be leaning in the future, as well. If the team is more balanced there would be less of a need to rely on no huddle, although it'll still have it's place game planning week to week.

I definently agree with you on the monster NE style TE's. but we do have RB's like that, Addai and brown are pretty decent pass catching HB's. but the TE's we need. trade clark for a first rounder or a player and a second rounder use the pick for a defensive player and in the the middle of the draft 3rd or 4th round get a monster like TE. if there is one available lol

I wish we could get a first for Dallas but I dont think there is any way.

Answer 1: I hope that we go to a bigger OL, that can open holes for the running game as well as pass protect.

Answer 2: If we go with Luck, go with the no-huddle. He is used to running no-huddle in college. All he needs to do is to learn the playbook and work on the plays in training camp.