Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Since 2012, Colts are 6th best team at........

TKnight24

Our greatest score comes from 2014 where we have two total players left from that draft.

Granted,  they're both starters,  Mewhort and Moncrief,   but that gives us a score more than twice of any other score the last 5 years?!?

Huh?!?

I think Superman's quip said it best for all of us..........

USA Today is normally better than that.....     it's a head scratcher....          :scratch:

17 hours ago, Superman said:

This uses PFR's "Approximate Value" metric, comparing it to a player's draft position, to determine the player's "value" in relation to where they were drafted.

It's a stupid methodology. Any process that places greater value on David Parry than Andrew Luck needs to be aborted, post-haste. 

What's funny is that if I were trying to sell to Colts fans that they've drafted 6th best in 5 years, I'd definitely be using the '12 draft and the Luck pick to strengthen my argument, as opposed to whatever it is they're doing in this article.

21 hours ago, Superman said:

This uses PFR's "Approximate Value" metric, comparing it to a player's draft position, to determine the player's "value" in relation to where they were drafted.

It's a stupid methodology. Any process that places greater value on David Parry than Andrew Luck needs to be aborted, post-haste. 

Seems to me that the methodology is flawed because it rewards you far too greatly for getting something out of a lower round pick.

Edit:  I looked a bit at the table at what they assigned the values to and I can only conclude that it's a severely flawed system and does not seem to make a great deal of sense.  

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Seems to me that the methodology is flawed because it rewards you far too greatly for getting something out of a lower round pick.

Edit:  I looked a bit at the table at what they assigned the values to and I can only conclude that it's a severely flawed system and does not seem to make a great deal of sense.  

PFR's AV metric is heavily dependent on starts, snaps, and any level of production (a tackle is a tackle, whether it's at the line of scrimmage or 5 yards past the first down marker; I think they give more weight to a tackle for loss). It's not grading a player's performance in any meaningful way. So if you have a late round player who gets a lot of starts/snaps, his "value" is going to be high, using this methodology. And that just leaves out a lot of common sense analysis, like the fact that your Pro Bowl level starting QB is many times more valuable than a replacement level (at best) DT/NT.