Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Peyton Really Wants To Stay In Indy......

presto123

I was just thinking.(it happens rarely) Peyton knows how the Colts hands are tied with his totally uncertain medical condition and Colts cap issues. He also has enough money for his grandkid's grandkids at this point(doubt if I'm exaggerating) so it shouldn't be about the money. Why not sit down with Irsay and agree for the Colts to cut him and then resign him to a contract that is TOTALLY incentive based. Maybe sign for the vet minimum but make his earnings totally based on how many games he is able to start. If you play 3 games you get X amount. If you play 6 games you get X amount. If you make the playoffs X amount. You get my point. On the flip side if you go through training camp and come Sept. you still can't take the field we only owe you the vet minimum. We will continue to owe you that until you can take the field at some point. If it's truly not about the money and wanting to stay here I would think they could work something like this out. It would give Peyton the chance to prove he can still play and be rewarded only if he does. It would also take away a lot of the gamble the Colts would have to take with his ridiculously huge cap hit.

I was just thinking.(it happens rarely) Peyton knows how the Colts hands are tied with his totally uncertain medical condition and Colts cap issues. He also has enough money for his grandkid's grandkids at this point(doubt if I'm exaggerating) so it shouldn't be about the money. Why not sit down with Irsay and agree for the Colts to cut him and then resign him to a contract that is TOTALLY incentive based. Maybe sign for the vet minimum but make his earnings totally based on how many games he is able to start. If you play 3 games you get X amount. If you play 6 games you get X amount. If you make the playoffs X amount. You get my point. On the flip side if you go through training camp and come Sept. you still can't take the field we only owe you the vet minimum. We will continue to owe you that until you can take the field at some point. If it's truly not about the money and wanting to stay here I would think they could work something like this out. It would give Peyton the chance to prove he can still play and be rewarded only if he does. It would also take away a lot of the gamble the Colts would have to take with his ridiculously huge cap hit.

Yes, your solution does address the cap issues, assuming your projection of PM's willingness to reduce his compensation is correct.

However, it opens up additional questions, such as:

1) If PM is not ready to go in September, who do you start?

2) If you start in September with this other QB, is it fair to him that when PM is back....maybe 6 months later, or a year later,,,to pull him as the starter?

3) Do you see PM willing to remain a Colt as a backup QB, earning vet minimum? How does this affect his endorsement attractiveness and income?

4) When PM is ready to go again, do you see PM competing for the starter job with the other QB?

5) Does the probability of your QB draft prospect doing an Eli increase with your solution?

Do you remember that arcade game with the plastic gophers and the mallet? Everytime you hit one with the mallet into the hole, another one or more pops up from other holes.

Do you remember that arcade game with the plastic gophers and the mallet? Everytime you hit one with the mallet into the hole, another one or more pops up from other holes.

Ah yes, the infamous Whack-A-Mole! Perhaps that is the solution to all of their problems? Peyton Manning and Jim Irsay in a feirce Whack-A-Mole competition, highest score wins, best out of 7 games. Winner gets the power to control their destiny.

Oh goodie, another question about Peyton staying or not staying in Indy. I wonder if talk of Andrew Luck will enter the thread?

I've read a lot of threads but I've never heard anybody propose a good way Luck and Manning can stay without breaking the bank. So I would say it's a relevant thread.

I've read a lot of threads but I've never heard anybody propose a good way Luck and Manning can stay without breaking the bank. So I would say it's a relevant thread.

meh....don't pay no mind to thread haters.

The only way I'm seeing it work is to free ourselves of our high-dollar veterans in other positions and gamble on filling their positions with draft picks. We would be cut out of relevant FA signings almost altogether.

Either way, it seems it would take some sort of mastermind to make the situation financially sustainable over 2-3 years.

The only way I'm seeing it work is to free ourselves of our high-dollar veterans in other positions and gamble on filling their positions with draft picks. We would be cut out of relevant FA signings almost altogether.

Either way, it seems it would take some sort of mastermind to make the situation financially sustainable over 2-3 years.

With the way I said if Peyton somehow did make it all the way back and the Colts had to start paying the high salary if they felt like he has 4-5 years left they could always trade Luck(our backup) to another team and get pieces to help Manning. Then we would draft our next QB a few years down the road. If they felt like Manning wouldn't be able to make it all the way back you simply keep Luck as your starter and part ways with Manning at very little cost.

I'm sure with Irsay's billions, he could hire a financial mastermind for a few days......

I don't think money is high motivation. For years he played underpaid (yeah I know I said it) and even offered to take less money but because of the whole CBA thing this past summer he had to take more money to help leverage for the players side of the battle with the owners. The one thing that he's looking at is can he win anymore with the colts in their new direction, and also, is he going to get pushed out by Luck who seems like he's ready to play now. I think to assume that this is about the 28 million is the wrong way to think of this whole situation. But I think it should be recognized that the Colts organization owe Peyton Manning more than he owes the Colts, and I'm not just talking money.

I think you misunderstood my point. The reason to hire a financial consultant is to analyze a situation. The Colts have people who understand the salary cap, no matter how much Irsay has in personal wealth, the cap is the limit. I don't believe it would help to hire a financial consultant. The cap is the cap.

Ah yes, the infamous Whack-A-Mole! Perhaps that is the solution to all of their problems? Peyton Manning and Jim Irsay in a feirce Whack-A-Mole competition, highest score wins, best out of 7 games. Winner gets the power to control their destiny.

I think you misunderstood my point. The reason to hire a financial consultant is to analyze a situation. The Colts have people who understand the salary cap, no matter how much Irsay has in personal wealth, the cap is the limit. I don't believe it would help to hire a financial consultant. The cap is the cap.

Nope, it was the other way around. Read Rusak's last sentence, and you'll get it. Btw, I never new the cap was the cap, so thanks for clarifying.

Nope, it was the other way around. Read Rusak's last sentence, and you'll get it. Btw, I never new the cap was the cap, so thanks for clarifying.

Thanks for the very polite and respectful reply. I'll read all your posts very carefully in the future, to make sure I don't fail to grasp the obvious superiority of your wisdom.

I think cutting Manning and resigning him to an incentive laden contract is about the only way Manning can remain a Colt. I've had this thought myself but wasn't even sure it was possible with the CBA rules. It seems like an obvious solution to a complicated problem, but it really hasn't been discussed by anybody in the know. If Manning wasn't willing to accept a contract like this it would just prove to me that he is not really serious about wanting to remain a Colt and IMO would be fine with letting him walk at that point. He needs to realize that he will have to prove his health is fine before the Colts drop a huge contract on him and probably most other teams as well.

You draft Luck. If Peyton's not ready by Sept. you start Luck with the understanding that if and when we feel like Peyton gets back to acceptable levels you will be the backup.

What about if Luck is playing really well? You going to still take him out and put in Manning who you really dont know how he is going to play in game time.

Clearly that is a hypothetical, however you cant start Luck and then take him back off the field. He is not a normal backup QB.

Well some form of thinking along the lines of what the OP posted is probably going to be what would be required if we have any hopes of seeing Peyton in a Colts uni next year. But like Undecided pointed out this gives rise to other issues. So far be it for me to say how such a deal should even look.

I will say this though, Peyton is a business man himself. He has stated on many occasions his love for the Colts organization but has said on just as many occasions that he understands that this is a business. So some may be reaching somewhat in expecting Peyton to make monetary sacrifices just so he can stay in Indy. I'd love to see him do something like that but Peyton is most likely going to look out for what's best for Peyton at the end of the day.

Personally, I feel Peyton owes Irsay for paying him $26 million last year even when he pretty much knew 18 wasn't going to see the field. Now it is Peyton's turn to man up and do what is right, i.e. work with Irsay here to avert the $28 million option that would cripple this franchise for retaining his services. Irsay stuck with him last year and paid him gladly, Peyton needs to do what he can to work with Irsay this year. If he can't do that then perhaps we are better off without him.

What about if Luck is playing really well? You going to still take him out and put in Manning who you really dont know how he is going to play in game time.

Clearly that is a hypothetical, however you cant start Luck and then take him back off the field. He is not a normal backup QB.

Tom Brady replaced Bledsoe after a serious injury, and Bledsoe was the backup after he got better. Not to compare Bledsoe to Manning, but Brady was unheralded at the time and fans must have thought Belichick was nuts. How would the #1 pick react to a situation like that? Maybe we'll get a chance to find out.

It'll never work. You could only do that for one year. After that he would have to get paid a high salary so it doesn't lower the leagues QB salaries if he remains healthy.

The only solution there is that if Manning makes it back for a year at a high level and you felt like he had 4 more good years after that maybe you trade Luck to get pieces to supplement a Manning run and draft your future QB a few years down the road. I know people that think Luck is going to be the next big thing will think this scenario is crazy and they may be right. I still think the best solution for both sides is just to release Manning and let him take all the time he needs to rehab and heal. I know he doesn't stay a Colt in that scenario but it's the only thing that makes sense to me unless he would agree to something like I originally posted in this thread.

.....I dont think Peyton would be working out as hard as he reportedly is in JANUARY and FEBRUARY...

if it wasn't to prove to Irsay that he can play here...and stay here...

If he wanted to leave..he wouldnt need to prove his health RIGHT NOW...right?