Pats trade for Dwayne Allen [Merge]

backshoulderfade

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, ponyboy said:

Agreed.

In fact, going by draft position value charts, moving from #198->#137 gains only 25.3 points (37.5-12,2).. which equates to a low 5th round pick in this years draft (#165 just before the 5th round comps).   Value-wise, we essentially traded DA for a late 5th.  About what some had predicted.

However, we didn't actually gain a pick and we now need a TE.. so this could actually mean we have one *less* pick to use for defense.  Capwise this makes sense -- having the third TE on a rookie contract.  Hate to say this but it opens the possibility that the top TE in the draft may be considered the best value sitting there at #15.

This is true God help us here comes a TE?!?!

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

You know that Allen is going to be a star on the Patriots, right?  

This wasn't a bad trAde for either team.

Yeah, just like Fat Albert, Chad Johnson, Armond Armstead, joey Galloway, Adalius Thomas and Shawn Springs.

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

You know that Allen is going to be a star on the Patriots, right?  

This wasn't a bad trAde for either team.

i am not for sure about Allen in NE. He tends to take plays off and that will not sit will with BB. I thing Allen was brought in because of Gronk's injuries and the lack of experienced Tight Ends on the roster. Just a feeling I have and its my opinion

Just now, backshoulderfade said:

It is amazing what I have read on Pats sites. They are helping us out of "cap hell", we got "fleeced".

I can't wait to see how Tom reacts to his propensity to drop passes.   I promise you it won't be like how Andrew handled it.  Allen better find his game.   He will have as perfect a set of circumstances for a TE as there ever was.   I'd say the Patriots are as TE friendly as they come.  

44 minutes ago, B~Town said:

I wonder who made the call if the Colts or NE got the ball rolling .

the colts probably put allen out on a trade block after getting doyle signed.  that seems most likely considering the timing

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

With literally no defense  like the last 20 years, more good times!

we need defense and a TE now, so we will use a pick or free agent money on a TE now taking away from the defense! The sad thing is if we stay at 15 the Alabama TE is there don't be surprised we take him. 

It's baffling how some of you are happy we traded Allen. Dwayne did ALL of our blocking, so that allowed Doyle to run free. We'll see next year when Doyle becomes the blocker and Swoope will be allowed to run. We'll be saying Swoope should be starting, despite the aforementioned circumstances. Allen was asked to stay in and block the majority of snaps he played. That clearly took away some of his targets and production.

Just now, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

we need defense and a TE now, so we will use a pick or free agent money on a TE now taking away from the defense! The sad thing is if we stay at 15 the Alabama TE is there don't be surprised we take him. 

We aren't taking a TE at 15 after signing Doyle to a long term deal. I'm starting to think you are trolling now.

1 minute ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

He played better than that dude he did a lot of dirty work that goes unnoticed unless you have played the game!!

He's a solid blocker, but it's not hard to find a TE who can block. Allen can Block and can catch TD's in the red zone. It's not hard to replace that. I have a feeling you are very young and are throwing a fit over this at your house. Allen is the not a good player. In fact, he was part of the problem!

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

He's a solid blocker, but it's not hard to find a TE who can block. Allen can Block and can catch TD's in the red zone. It's not hard to replace that. I have a feeling you are very young and are throwing a fit over this at your house. Allen is the not a good player. In fact, he was part of the problem!

Not young have played D-1 football!! He was not part of the problem, and I highly suspect the Patriots would disagree with you. You know how bad an organization they are year in an year out, and so poor at evaluating talent!!

Not young have played D-1 football!! He was not part of the problem, and I highly suspect the Patriots would disagree with you. You know how bad an organization they are year in an year out, and so poor at evaluating talent!!

Well, I suspect Chris Ballard would disagree with you, and that's all that matters unless you want to go to the Pats board and cheer for them.

16 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

We're not spending $6 million per year on Doyle AND the #15 pick to have two starting TEs.  There will be a TE added, but not for more than $3 mil per year or higher than a 3rd, IMO.  

Might spend one of the 3 4th rounders on one.

4 hours ago, masnerj said:

I am 100% ok with this move, in fact I love it. 

Think about it this way: we essentially removed a kind of logjam and over spending at one position to increase depth and youth and talent in another (probably defense too!). Removing Allen was the right move for multiple reasons: saves us money down the line, essentially upgrades our 6th to a 4th (DEFENSE!!), AND it allows a player like Swoope more PT and more of a chance to make an impact. Jack Doyle will be our primary starting TE who will basically always be on the field blocking, receiving, etc but this also gives Swoope a chance to come in and get better and get more snaps. He flashed last year, lets see where it goes. And don't expect Ballard to simply leave us with two TEs, we could easily buy a cheap TE on the free agency or sign a UDFA!

ballard is cleaning up grigs mess, overpaid low talent draft picks and free agents

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Well, I suspect Chris Ballard would disagree with you, and that's all that matters unless you want to go to the Pats board and cheer for them.

I like Ballard!  But Lets not anoint him the 2nd coming here just yet. I am sure there is a plan we just don't know what that is yet. until we do the team now has an additional hole to fill!

I like Ballard!  But Lets not anoint him the 2nd coming here just yet. I am sure there is a plan we just don't know what that is yet. until we do the team now has an additional hole to fill!

We'll probably go BPA and try to grab someone who can be a starter at that pick. Just my guess. The additional hole will more than likely filled in the draft late or in FA. It's really not going to be that much of a downgrade, as long as the TE we sign can block and catch decently well. Doyle needed to be the starter, especially if we signed him to a long term deal. If we kept Allen and got rid of Doyle, I don't think you'd like that either.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

We're not spending $6 million per year on Doyle AND the #15 pick to have two starting TEs.  There will be a TE added, but not for more than $3 mil per year or higher than a 3rd, IMO.  

Might spend one of the 3 4th rounders on one.

The kid from Alabama is good, so good he blocks and can be split out like a very large WR. I agree with you thats how I would do it, but that kid is gifted, highly thought of, and I really don't think Ballard is the kind of guy to reach for guys based on need. I hope we don't take him but now it wouldn't surprise me based on how much Pagano would like to run the ball. The 3rd or 4th round guy could have been a defensive pick much more needed than a TE 24 hours ago.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

We'll probably go BPA and try to grab someone who can be a starter at that pick. Just my guess. The additional hole will more than likely filled in the draft late or in FA. It's really not going to be that much of a downgrade, as long as the TE we sign can block and catch decently well. Doyle needed to be the starter, especially if we signed him to a long term deal. If we kept Allen and got rid of Doyle, I don't think you'd like that either.

I wanted to keep Doyle you don't get that Doyle and Allen play the same positions, but have different skill sets. I wanted both!!You HIGHLY UNDERESTIMATE Allens ability NE doesn't.

7 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

The kid from Alabama is good, so good he blocks and can be split out like a very large WR. I agree with you thats how I would do it, but that kid is gifted, highly thought of, and I really don't think Ballard is the kind of guy to reach for guys based on need. I hope we don't take him but now it wouldn't surprise me based on how much Pagano would like to run the ball. The 3rd or 4th round guy could have been a defensive pick much more needed than a TE 24 hours ago.

If we can seriously make this Alabama TE the slot WR in the three wide then maybe it makes sense....but we'd have to move Dorsett for some real value to get a good defensive player or a RB.  Just seems like a complicated way to justify selecting a TE at 15. 

I wanted to keep Doyle you don't get that Doyle and Allen play the same positions, but have different skill sets. I wanted both!!You HIGHLY UNDERESTIMATE Allens ability NE doesn't.

I know Allen's ability just fine. He's a great blocker and he can catch balls in the end zone. He also has poor hands though. Blocking TE's are easier to find than receiving TE's, which is why it's easy to replace him. Allen was a huge burden and really only produced one game when scored 3 tds. More importantly, he keeps Doyle off the field, when Doyle is a huge safety valve for Luck. I wouldn't mind making Allen the 2, but if it's between Doyle and Allen, and we can get value for Allen, then you do it 100 times out of 100.