Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts interested in top Gs....reportedly

1 hour ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

I would think the type of money a top FA Guard would cost would be better spent on the defense.  Now if they grab one in the second tier of FA, that is a different story.

The thing to keep in mind is that we do have plenty of money to spend, and most of the huge-contract players on defense have been tagged or resigned already. I don't think there are any guards in FA that would garner massive contracts in the first place.

6 minutes ago, Legend of Luck said:

The thing to keep in mind is that we do have plenty of money to spend, and most of the huge-contract players on defense have been tagged or resigned already. I don't think there are any guards in FA that would garner massive contracts in the first place.

Here are the contracts for RG and LG from last year:

http://overthecap.com/position/right-guard

http://overthecap.com/position/left-guard

Top FA Guards are going to want at least 8 million per year and can get it.  I would rather that money go to a defensive player(s) like Brandon Williams, Hankins, Poe, Hightower, Zach Brown or Bouye.  All of which are a greater need, imo.

1 minute ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Here are the contracts for RG and LG from last year:

http://overthecap.com/position/right-guard

http://overthecap.com/position/left-guard

Top FA Guards are going to want at least 8 million per year and can get it.  I would rather that money go to a defensive player(s) like Brandon Williams, Hankins, Poe, Hightower, Zach Brown or Bouye.  All of which are a greater need, imo.

Good info! Thank you!

I think, because of that, TJ Lang may be our best option. Regarded as one of the best guards in the league, who's only 30 (which, for OL isn't that old), and he was a bit banged up last season. Not to mention his connection to Joe Philbin. I think his price may not be too high due to his injuries from last year and his age being higher than some of the other available guards.

11 minutes ago, Legend of Luck said:

Good info! Thank you!

I think, because of that, TJ Lang may be our best option. Regarded as one of the best guards in the league, who's only 30 (which, for OL isn't that old), and he was a bit banged up last season. Not to mention his connection to Joe Philbin. I think his price may not be too high due to his injuries from last year and his age being higher than some of the other available guards.

That is why I brought up the second tier of Free Agency in my first comment.  The prices will be lower and there will still be some solid vets that can contribute.  I just would hate to see Indy pass on a Williams or Brown because they spent 8-10 million on a guard ;)

2 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

That is why I brought up the second tier of Free Agency in my first comment.  The prices will be lower and there will still be some solid vets that can contribute.  I just would hate to see Indy pass on a Williams or Brown because they spent 8-10 million on a guard ;)

My only perspective on that is that I don't think we need just another body in that group. We need an upgrade. We need someone who can be a difference maker at that position, otherwise we may as well just stay with Haeg and Clark

12 minutes ago, Legend of Luck said:

My only perspective on that is that I don't think we need just another body in that group. We need an upgrade. We need someone who can be a difference maker at that position, otherwise we may as well just stay with Haeg and Clark

Ballard is reportedly impressed with Clark and Haeg...so a veteran that can compete against them and be a placeholder until they mature might be the more prudent move in his eyes?  I am excited to see how this all plays out.  Thanks for the discussion!

3 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

yeah but that is what Haeg provides as well

I understand.....    but I'm of the view that you can't have enough good lineman like that.

Every team in the NFL is desperate for quality lineman.     Hard for me to see the Colts as a team with so much O-line talent that we're cutting a guy like Reitz and letting him walk away.

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I understand.....    but I'm of the view that you can't have enough good lineman like that.

Every team in the NFL is desperate for quality lineman.     Hard for me to see the Colts as a team with so much O-line talent that we're cutting a guy like Reitz and letting him walk away.

I don't think that anyone is disagreeing that Rietz is a decent versatile player. But when you have young cheap guys who can do the same cut the older similar to patriots and Logan mankins.  Harrison also proved to be a good guard and can be a beast if Philbin can get him some help with his pass pro

18 hours ago, Track Guy said:

That's a fair point. Lang will turn 30 in the 2017 season I believe. If he were another year or two older I'd be more hesitant, but guards can often play well through 32 or 33 as long as they don't have substantial injuries. Lang will probably be a little cheaper as well, because of the age thing. Either player I'd be happy with.

He wants to be a Packer and they want him back so...

3 hours ago, Legend of Luck said:

Good info! Thank you!

If we are trying to build a team that can be Championship competitive in 2-3 years and stay at that level for years after that, why sign old FA?
  I just pray our GM does not like 6'6" Guards, especially slow footed ones.

2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

If we are trying to build a team that can be Championship competitive in 2-3 years and stay at that level for years after that, why sign old FA?
  I just pray our GM does not like 6'6" Guards, especially slow footed ones.

Lang is one of the best Guards in all of football. He can play and give us a chance to win now, giving Haeg and Clark a chance to really develop.

6 hours ago, krunk said:
After a month of evaluating film, Chris Ballard likes what he’s seen from Joe Haeg and Le’Raven Clark. The ’17 OL: https://t.co/Hum5z5QDfV

I liked the progress they made. Adding 10-15 lbs of muscle this offseason will help too. Get them stronger and more time to work on their technique I think Haeg could play RG and Clark RT. That said I think we have to look at Jack as possibly not coming back 100% of what he was or just we don't know if we can count on it. If that means bringing in a starting caliber guard to play either position than I'm all for it. Competition just makes us stronger....and depth is something we've never had on the OL....I mean people on here are arguing about having TOO MANY QUALITY LINEMEN.....REALLY?! Our cap is such this is not going to be a problem I don't believe. I imagine we sign one in such a way that we either move on from Jack or this player gets very cheap to cut after year two...by then we will know what the OL should look like. I don't think we necessarily have to have the best one out there like Zeitler but no reason not to sure up the trenches. We always have injuries and we always complain....let the man fix the thing already! We aren't the Peyton Manning Colts......where investment on the OL brought small returns because of how quickly he got rid of the ball or because we only ran when the box was light. This is the Luck Colts and we just have to understand protection for a guy that holds the ball as long as he does is a priority....and an offense that wants to run the ball as much as us needs lineman to win even when the box is stacked.

52 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Luck threw For 31 TD's, 13 INT's, 4,250 yards, 63.5 %, 96.4 QB rating and he missed a game. The offense is not the problem it's always been the defense. 

One thing that I've always learned in life and business is that you maximize what your good at. Why spend vast resources on something that gives you a minor return. Focus on what you excel at and feed it resources. I'm not saying we can't and won't help our defense but we don't have to build an elite defense to win it all. We have an offense that small investments can reap a greater reward and when you have a strength you want to keep that strength....Andrew is our strength...he is our difference maker...and if we are to win a SB he will likely be the biggest reason we do. Thus investing in his protection and in offensive pieces will allow Andrew the ability to maximize his skill and potential. That isn't to say we won't invest on the defense but I hardly think adding a quality lineman is overkill for this team...nor will it cause us to not be able to build the defense. Now if we are saying going out and getting AP and Brandon Marshall for this offense at big money then I would agree...that's a waste of resources. Guard is a position of need for us. If we address it we will be better off for it. Just because the offense is great doesn't mean it doesn't need any attention at all. While I think a majority of our FA dollars and draft capital will be spent on the defense an upgrade on the OL should pay volumes in allowing Luck to play up to his potential and protect our greatest asset.

Spoiler

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I wouldn't expect Reitz to be released.    He can play 4 of the 5 OL sports.    Guys like that are very hard to find.   You keep them when you have them.

Haeg can do that and Reitz seems to be declining.  

If I remember right he was absolutely terrible last year at RT until he got injured.  Haeg was an improvement.  

1 hour ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Luck threw For 31 TD's, 13 INT's, 4,250 yards, 63.5 %, 96.4 QB rating and he missed a game. The offense is not the problem it's always been the defense. 

He still takes way to many hits and sacks and pressures.  Right side needs to be a priority with a solid veteran. 

17 hours ago, richard pallo said:

He still takes way to many hits and sacks and pressures.  Right side needs to be a priority with a solid veteran. 

Luck holds on the ball too long at times as well. Ryan, Rodgers, Wilson, and Stafford have inconsistent o-lines and get sacked just as much as Luck. The o-line is good enough. 

Luck holds on the ball too long at times as well. Ryan, Rodgers, Wilson, and Stafford have inconsistent o-lines and get sacked just as much as Luck. The o-line is good enough. 

The O-line isn't good enough. Our rushing stats kind of prove that. 

If you cant run the football when you want to your line is not good enough .

On 3/2/2017 at 10:43 PM, Finball said:

From 2012 to 2015; zero.

They get complacent when getting big money, new scheme/environment isn't a fit, they get more injuries with wear and tear piling up etc.. could be a lot of reasons.

Osemele does have good chance at working out though, if he can stay healthy.

That said, I'd be interested in Zeitler.

Zero? How about Vasquez and Mathis that's without going back to look. I'm pretty sure Incognito earned his money when the Bills signed him. 

2 hours ago, akcolt said:

Zero? How about Vasquez and Mathis that's without going back to look. I'm pretty sure Incognito earned his money when the Bills signed him. 

Incognito wasn't for big money. He signed for 1 year, 1.1M. Played very well and after that Bills made a commitment to him.

Similar thing with Mathis. Signed 1 yr deal close to league minimum with Eagles, back in 2011. Re-signed for bigger money after he played very well. Didn't change teams during that time period for big money. The deal he signed with Denver was for 3.25M.

IIRC, Vasquez had only 1 really good year with the Broncos. Didn't finish his 4 year deal he signed with them and was out of job last year.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/03/10/former-broncos-louis-vasquez-set-to-visit-titans-vernon-davis-to-visit-redskins/

Vasquez, 28, was the Broncos’ starter at right guard for the past three seasons. He was released Tuesday to save the team salary cap space. The Broncos did not approach him about restructuring his contract. Vasquez was an all-pro in 2013, but over the past two seasons, struggled with nagging injuries and shifting positions.