Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My Numbers Say We Are In Really Good Cap Shape For 2012

BlueShoe

My numbers are very early but even with Peyton and Freeney on the roster, we are about 20 million under the cap.

If we restructure (extend) Freeney and cut Peyton (God that still hurts thinking about) then we would be somewhere around 30 million under the cap for 2012.

I have us right now around $100,000,000 spent towards the 120,000,000 2012 CAP.

My Raw Number is $98,429,913

Here are our notable Free Agents:

Jamaal Anderson

Ryan Diem

Pierre Garcon

Anthony Gonzalez

Anthony Hill

Jacob Lacey

Robert Mathis

Dan Orlovsky

Mike Pollak

Jamey Richard

Jeff Saturday

Ernie Sims

Jacob Tamme

Reggie Wayne

Philip Wheeler

If my numbers are correct then we are actually sitting very good . Like I said, it is very early and maybe some of my numbers are off. I have been very close at knowing our cap over the past 10 years or so though.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the draft section my newest if you were the gm thread, after talking with our favorite capologist firejimcaldwell, I had the colts having roughly 5-10 to play with in free agency. If they trim the fat, the colts could have 30 million free with manning still in your scenario, it means cutting Clark, brackett, addai, bullitt, moala, mookie, snow, diles, Collins, painter, orlovsky, but that allows a strong push for real talent, affordable, impact signings!

In the draft section my newest if you were the gm thread, after talking with our favorite capologist firejimcaldwell, I had the colts having roughly 5-10 to play with in free agency. If they trim the fat, the colts could have 30 million free with manning still in your scenario, it means cutting Clark, brackett, addai, bullitt, moala, mookie, snow, diles, Collins, painter, orlovsky, but that allows a strong push for real talent, affordable, impact signings!

My numbers have us at 20 million under the cap without cutting anyone.

Orlovsky is a FA, I believe and Collins retired (from what I have heard). I am not a big fan of cutting Justin Snow, even though he does carry close to a million towards the cap. Cutting Painter doesn't help our cap much at all. I don't see any reason for cutting Moala on a financial basis either. We would eat a couple of years from Clarks signing bonus if we cut him and it wouldn't be much savings so I think we should just pay him. Sure cutting Clark would help next year, but we are no where near in salary cap trouble next year either. We might have the best cap space in the league next season.

But YES! We are in great shape.

My numbers are very early but even with Peyton and Freeney on the roster, we are about 20 million under the cap.

If we restructure (extend) Freeney and cut Peyton (God that still hurts thinking about) then we would be somewhere around 30 million under the cap for 2012.

Jamaal Anderson

Ryan Diem

Pierre Garcon

Anthony Gonzalez

Anthony Hill

Jacob Lacey

Robert Mathis

Dan Orlovsky

Mike Pollak

Jamey Richard

Jeff Saturday

Ernie Sims

Jacob Tamme

Reggie Wayne

Philip Wheeler

If my numbers are correct then we are actually sitting very good . Like I said, it is very early and maybe some of my numbers are off. I have been very close at knowing our cap over the past 10 years or so though.

Did you include the expected spend on the draft picks?

Jamaal Anderson

Ryan Diem

Pierre Garcon

Anthony Gonzalez

Anthony Hill

Jacob Lacey

Robert Mathis

Dan Orlovsky

Mike Pollak

Jamey Richard

Jeff Saturday

Ernie Sims

Jacob Tamme

Reggie Wayne

Philip Wheeler

What is your Kerry Collins 2012 cap hit?

I have Luck at $4.2MM on the 2012 cap.

I think you may have to include the other picks, at least at league minimum. 7-8 additional picks (including the compensatories)

Why?

I already have the base players there as a fill.

Luck will count towards the cap after we draft him. But as of right now, he is not on the team.

Why?

I already have the base players there as a fill.

Luck will count towards the cap after we draft him. But as of right now, he is not on the team.

Well, I usually charge them to the cap, because I expect to sign the prospects I draft.

But I can see your rationale. You figure not to include them until they are signed, at which time you will project to eliminate some team members that are there already.

It just means that your cap space needs to include those draft prospects you expect to sign, before you spend it on FAs.

Well, I usually charge them to the cap, because I expect to sign the prospects I draft.

But I can see your rationale. You figure not to include them until they are signed, at which time you will project to eliminate some team members that are there already.

It just means that your cap space needs to include those draft prospects you expect to sign, before you spend it on FAs.

Yes. And in doing so most of the draft picks will just take the place of others at about the same price. Everyone except the first round picks is pretty much a wash.

Now the big difference in being a second or third round pick is the signing bonus, which usually isn't too much, especially after it is spread out. We are talking about 2-3 players that may have an additional 250k on the cap after it is all said and done. That is except for the first round pick.

So if Peyton comes back we can get a big FA or 2 and send him out with a SB or 2 best case scenario. If Peyton has a setback and we're forced to cut him and some of the vets with big contracts, we are in position to set Andrew Luck up with some really great talent. I really feel better now thanks! I guess when Irsay said it's not about the money, he really meant it!

So, cutting Brackett and Clark would do what to the cap number? Wouldn't it accelerate their numbers for 2012 if we did that before the league year ends?

3 million total between them using a roster exemption. Can use three for a 4.5 million dollar savings, the real savings will show next year.

I'm clueless when it comes to salary cap calculations but this is looking great. The more players we keep the better... see my sig ;)

I think so too. We get some guys back healthy and with a new S&C coach, Peyton and the nucleus keep it up while we develop new talent...

Could be an exciting year.

Glad to hear somebody who seems to know how to do the math. Now here's a homework equation for you. I'm keeping Manning, drafting luck and letting everyone on your original list go except

Anderson

Garcon

Lacey

Mathis

Richard

Sims

Tamme

How much do I have left to spend?

So my question is, could we afford bringing in a top flight OG in Carl Nicks if Peyton isnt back and still have plenty of enough cap to sign draft picks, retaining Mathis and Garcon, etc.?

I will try and answer your question by presenting some facts for you to consider. I think when you understand these facts, you can come up with the answer yourself.

If Peyton is released before being paid the $28MM option bonus due March 8, the hit to the salary cap will be $10.4MM in 2012. Nothing after that.

If Peyton is retained by being paid the $28MM option bonus due March 8, then the following scenarios apply:

1) If Peyton plays out his contract (4 years), the hit to the salary cap will be:

2012 $17MM

2013 $18MM

2014 $19MM

2015 $20MM

2) If Peyton is cut or retires before June 1, 2012, then the hit to the 2012 salary cap will be $38.4MM

3) If Peyton is cut or retires before June 1, 2013, then the hit to the 2013 salary cap will be $28.8MM

4) If Peyton is cut or retires before June 1, 2014, then the hit to the 2014 salary cap will be $19.2MM

5) If Peyton is cut or retires before June 1, 2015, then the hit to the 2015 salary cap will be $9.6MM

So depending on what scenario you see playing out for Peyton, you can see the salary cap hit that will result.

Your guys expertise on salary & cap issues give me vivid nightmares of stats, finance and accounting classes that I dreaded. Interesting information though. I'll sleep in terror tonight. :)

Please don't sleep in terror it will be alright. :highfive:

Hah, I slept alright considering I badly sprained my wrist the other night :(. Got a splint & some meds and still plan on heading downtown Friday.

Well I'm going this afternoon so I'm ahead of you. haha Looks like I will see all the protesters. Maybe they will be gone when it offically opens. :thmsup:

Knowing the meds are helping or making you feel like you don't care. haha

Get better soon my friend.

So my question is, could we afford bringing in a top flight OG in Carl Nicks if Peyton isnt back and still have plenty of enough cap to sign draft picks, retaining Mathis and Garcon, etc.?

IN MY OPINION. Just my opinion! ;)

I think that if we pay Peyton then we will not sign a lot of free agents (returning or new) to big deals. Because Irsay will be shelling out 28 million in one shot, he might close the check book up a little. Just because we are great on the cap, doesn't make the Colts books good to go out and spend 150 million this year.

That being said, I can see us grabbing some of the second tier players and maybe one or two of the top tier players.

If we cut Peyton then I think we might go on a free agent spree.

Glad to hear somebody who seems to know how to do the math. Now here's a homework equation for you. I'm keeping Manning, drafting luck and letting everyone on your original list go except

Anderson

Garcon

Lacey

Mathis

Richard

Sims

Tamme

How much do I have left to spend?

Answering that question will take some time. I am pretty busy over the next few days but will get back to you on it.

So, cutting Brackett and Clark would do what to the cap number? Wouldn't it accelerate their numbers for 2012 if we did that before the league year ends?

Cutting Bracket would be a good idea in my opinion simply because it will be a wash this year and free up the money over the remaining of his deal. I don't think it makes sense to cut Clark because he only has two years left.

Just my opinion.

Cutting Bracket would be a good idea in my opinion simply because it will be a wash this year and free up the money over the remaining of his deal. I don't think it makes sense to cut Clark because he only has two years left.

Just my opinion.

I don't want us to cut Clark, but if you cut him in the 2011 league year, then you free up money on the 2013 cap.

I don't want us to cut Clark, but if you cut him in the 2011 league year, then you free up money on the 2013 cap.

Yes, but it wouldn't really be worth it in my opinion. That's what I was trying to explain anyway. Brackett makes more sense because he is under contract until 2015.

Player: Gary Brackett

Signing Bonus: $12,000,000

Years: 5

Total Deal: $33,000,000

2012: $5,000,000

2012 Cap Hit: $7,400,000

2013: $6,600,000 (+2.4mil SB)

2014: $6,600,000 (+2.4mil SB)