Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 2017 Wish List.

Dark Superman

Since Luck is only making a tad over 17 million this upcoming season against the cap and with the Colts most likely cutting loose a few older players, their is potentially a good chance that we can enter free agency with 50-60 million in cap space. If Dalvin Cook is there in Round 1, I hope we snag him and give Luck a true RB, but if not, I think we need to address the defense heavily and we can still grab a RB in rounds 2-4 (it's a deep RB draft)

But if the Colts want to contend and want to be buyers in free agency (most likely on defensive players) who are some of the guys that could potentially hit free agency that you guys would like to see here in Indianapolis in 2017. Just curious to see everyone's opinion since I haven't been keeping up with upcoming free agents.

And go.

If Grigson is the GM, then here's how you come up with your wish list:

1. List all of the big name players available through Free Agency-- all of the effective, difference makers, play makers who will cost a pretty penny.

2. Crumple up that list and throw it in the trash, and then light it on fire. Grigson doesn't go after those type of players.

3. Create a new list with all 2nd tier players with potential to play at a higher level. Think V. Davis (talented but not meeting his potential in Miami) or Butler, Walden, or Langford.

4. If you haven't heard of a player, chances are Grigson will like them as a diamond in the rough. Add them to your list.

I want to see them invest in a CB. Don't know much about the draft prospects, haven't checked em out yet, but I like Dre Kirkpatrick.

Elsewhere defensively, other guys I like are Chandler Jones, Melvin Ingram, Zach Brown, and Kawaan Short. Highly doubt the Colts grab any of the big names though. Don't know how interested they are to invest big money in FAs

I think the draft is about getting the best players at the picks. Likely Dalvin Cook or defensive players.

I'd like to see the Colts add a starter to each of the three levels of the defense. (easier said than done) I think they will have the cap space to do it. Some of the names listed below could change if the coaches/defense change.

1) Cornerback - They can still draft a cornerback but i'd like to see them make a run at Trumaine Johnson or Stephen Gilmore.

2) Dontari Poe - A legit nose tackle. There may end up being a bidding way over him that the Colts don't want to become involved with though.

3) Linebacker - Zach Brown, Malcolm Smith, and Nick Perry are players i'd consider.

33 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

If Grigson is the GM, then here's how you come up with your wish list:

1. List all of the big name players available through Free Agency-- all of the effective, difference makers, play makers who will cost a pretty penny.

2. Crumple up that list and throw it in the trash, and then light it on fire. Grigson doesn't go after those type of players.

3. Create a new list with all 2nd tier players with potential to play at a higher level. Think V. Davis (talented but not meeting his potential in Miami) or Butler, Walden, or Langford.

4. If you haven't heard of a player, chances are Grigson will like them as a diamond in the rough. Add them to your list.

Great post lol 

Rick Wagner, RT for Baltimore. Wisconsin Badger Lineman,  big, young, and proven. PFF had him rated Top Available FA Tackle a while ago, I believe.

(Edit:  he'll be available. PFF now lists him as their biggest disappointment. Dropped him to 51st out of 60 Tackles for 2015.)

Oooooops!

I would sign Chandler Jones, Melvin Ingram, and Stephon Gilmore. Then invest in the draft. Use your first 3 picks on 2 defensive players and an rb, maybe a trade down or two throughout the draft to acquire extra picks, and go for as much defensive talent as you can and hope it hits. BPA on defense throughout the draft along with a top rb.

10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I would sign Chandler Jones, Melvin Ingram, and Stephon Gilmore. Then invest in the draft. Use your first 3 picks on 2 defensive players and an rb, maybe a trade down or two throughout the draft to acquire extra picks, and go for as much defensive talent as you can and hope it hits. BPA on defense throughout the draft along with a top rb.

It's highly unlikely we get two top outside linebackers in free agency. Too many teams wish to much cap space. It's going to be hard enough to get one, but it can be done if Grigson tries hard enough. 

Just now, Colts1324 said:

It's highly unlikely we get two top outside linebackers in free agency. Too many teams wish to much cap space. It's going to be hard enough to get one, but it can be done if Grigson tries hard enough. 

Then I'll just wish for more cap space. :D In all seriousness, just my wish list. If we get one top OLB and a CB, I'd be fine.

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Then I'll just wish for more cap space. :D In all seriousness, just my wish list. If we get one top OLB and a CB, I'd be fine.

I'd be fine with one. But yes, two is realistic. Three is not with us being in a small market location. I sure hope Grigson plays his cards right this offseason and brings in some playmakers. 

2 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I'd be fine with one. But yes, two is realistic. Three is not with us being in a small market location. I sure hope Grigson plays his cards right this offseason and brings in some playmakers. 

I somewhat trust Grigson in the draft now, but I don't trust him at all in FA. Yes, you are supposed to build your team around the draft, and FA hit rates are low, but he just misses over and over again. Probably best just to take two high priced FA's on defense that fit our system and call it a day.

5 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

What does being in a small market have to do with it?   It won't happen for a lot of reasons,  but that isn't one of them

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I somewhat trust Grigson in the draft now, but I don't trust him at all in FA. Yes, you are supposed to build your team around the draft, and FA hit rates are low, but he just misses over and over again. Probably best just to take two high priced FA's on defense that fit our system and call it a day.

High priced doesn't always equal great.   The history of free agency proves that every single year

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

High priced doesn't always equal great.   The history of free agency proves that every single year

Of course, the odds of hitting on any FA are low, probably 10-20%, however, high end FA's such as Ingram, Parry, Jones, Gilmore and such are more likely to hit than the mid-low end ones that Grigson has signed. We've been on the tail end of the bad luck in Free Agency as well, and it's been one of the reasons that this team has regressed. Basically signing a high end FA is like signing a 1st rounder 5 years into his career. If we hit on 1 of the 2 and get 5 years out of him on defense, that's a huge success. He can be a starter and a building block while you draft many more on defense in the draft.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Of course, the odds of hitting on any FA are low, probably 10-20%, however, high end FA's such as Ingram, Parry, Jones, Gilmore and such are more likely to hit than the mid-low end ones that Grigson has signed. We've been on the tail end of the bad luck in Free Agency as well, and it's been one of the reasons that this team has regressed. Basically signing a high end FA is like signing a 1st rounder 5 years into his career. If we hit on 1 of the 2 and get 5 years out of him on defense, that's a huge success. He can be a starter and a building block while you draft many more on defense in the draft.

That is absolutely not the case more times than not.   Who was the last big money defensive free agent that made the difference for a team?

Just now, jvan1973 said:

They will be at home watching the playoffs this year just like the colts.

Yep, and they'll also be home with a SB ring as well. You are smart enough to know the defense was brilliant and not the problem on the Broncos, it was their terrible offense that cost them.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep, and they'll also be home with a SB ring as well. You are smart enough to know the defense was brilliant and not the problem on the Broncos, it was their terrible offense that cost them.

Yes,  because they have so much money wrapped in a high priced free agents.   The only reason elway sold the future was because he knew manning only a had a couple years left.   You don't build a team with big money free agents.   How many do the really good teams sign? New England,  Pittsburgh, Seattle?  Drafting well and signing a few second or third tier free agents are how championship teams are built

1 minute ago, 12to13 said:

The Giants had one of the worst defenses last year and this year they are pretty solid, they got some good free agents I think.

They went full out on defense in FA last year. They also had Landon Collins break out too. JPP figured out how to play after the fireworks accident, so they really improved.

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Yes,  because they have so much money wrapped in a high priced free agents.   The only reason elway sold the future was because he knew manning only a had a couple years left.   You don't build a team with big money free agents.   How many do the really good teams sign? New England,  Pittsburgh, Seattle?  Drafting well and signing a few second or third tier free agents are how championship teams are built

New England added Talib through FA and then the following year, they added Revis through FA.

When you have a solid QB and good offense, you add playmakers to strengthen your defense. That's what fans are asking for. Not to build a team through FA.

Just now, Flash7 said:

New England added Talib and then the following year, they added Revis.

when you have a solid QB and good offense, you add playmakers to strengthen your defense. That's what fans are asking for. Not to build a team through FA.

Those weren't huge contracts either.  

You don't think Elway drafts well? Look at his drafts, he has so many guys he can't pay on defense like Malik Jackson and Danny Treveathen, that they are becoming FA's. He was able to build over half the defense from the draft, he drafted another QB to develop in Lynch, CJ Anderson, he didn't draft Demaryius Thomas, but he was drafted. The majority of that team was drafted or UDFA's besides the FA splurge when they had Manning. That wasn't a guarantee they'd win a SB either, and it actually didn't happen until his final year. Broncos are as good at drafting talent as the elite teams you mentioned. You are way off base here.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You don't think Elway drafts well? Look at his drafts, he has so many guys he can't pay on defense like Malik Jackson and Danny Treveathen, that they are becoming FA's. He was able to build over half the defense from the draft, he drafted another QB to develop in Lynch, CJ Anderson, he didn't draft Demaryius Thomas, but he was drafted. The majority of that team was drafted or UDFA's besides the FA splurge when they had Manning. That wasn't a guarantee they'd win a SB either, and it actually didn't happen until his final year. Broncos are as good at drafting talent as the elite teams you mentioned. You are way off base here.

I didn't say he doesn't draft well at any point.  I said he did those big deals because he knew manning had a small window.

We just want Grigson to go after difference makers, (like Revis and Talib were) and ideally with good contracts, like the Broncos and Patriots did. 

Like you, I don't think you build a team through high priced free agents. However, I do think you can supplement a team with those difference making FA's.

1 minute ago, Flash7 said:

We just want Grigson to go after difference makers, (like Revis and Talib were) and ideally with good contracts, like the Broncos and Patriots did. 

Like you, I don't think you build a team through high priced free agents. However, I do think you can supplement a team with those difference making FA's.

How is that revis contract looking for the jets right now?   

I didn't say he doesn't draft well at any point.  I said he did those big deals because he knew manning had a small window.

You are correct, but it didn't guarantee a championship, and it was in 2012 before most of those drafts that built the team's defense to what it is today. They didn't have that elite pass defense at the time, just a pass rush with Miller. FA hits are low and Elway did his homework and took a risk. I think that with our team the way it is, without any big playmakers on defense, we need to sign a couple high end FA's on defense. They aren't a long term solution, but they can be nice holdovers that make a big impact while the guys we draft on defense develop and hopefully take over the starting job in the future. Not every defensive pick will be 1st round quality, or even a starter right away.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

That is absolutely not the case more times than not.   Who was the last big money defensive free agent that made the difference for a team?

Derrell Revis with the Patriots two years ago. Demarcus Ware, TJ Ward, Aqib Talib for Denver. The Giants defensive splurge sure has helped them. And they signed guys in their prime. We aren't asking for them to sign 30+ age vets like other people have stated, but rather, stop signing average starters to fill gaps because it does nothing to improve this team. 

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

When was the last time a very little costing free agent made the difference? You have to try to improve your team somehow. You don't know what you will be getting when you give a middle of the pack free agent a contract. They might break out. But the odds are they play average like they had been. Or they would have gotten a big contract like the others. We have Andrew Luck. Every year we should be competing. With the development of our offensive line. Our defense is what is holding us back. We need playmakers who have experience in this league that will help us reach the "big game." A big defensive free agent or two will help with that.