Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

11 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Same here.  I don't follow the game no where near as close any more.  Though I still love the game fundamentally.  For me, I have become exhausted watching Baltimore go through rebuild after rebuild after rebuild.  When they get good and you fall in love with players they are jettisoned and you have to start all over again. It's been demoralizing quite honestly. Its hard to generate much interest in the game when you know your boys are over matched and out gunned year in and year out...especially in the division they play in.  But I'll always be a Birds fan regardless.

Yeah as a Cubs fan I was finally really spoiled beginning with the 2015 season -- last season (2020). I had 6 years of enjoyment with a WS win and 3 Division Titles, not just the normal very good season every 5 or 6 seasons. 2015, 2017, 2018, and 2020 were very good. 2016 was great and ranks among the greatest in MLB history. Unless the Cubs get their act together here in 2021, it will be over and it will be clean house time. It will be like it was from 1984-2014 again, your occasional very good season like we had in 1984, 1989, and 2003. 

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Fernando Valenzuela was magic with the Dodgers during that time.  I remember him well.  Did you know he actually played for the O's later in his career?  I believe it was sometime during the 90's.  Wasn't no where near the same pitcher then but it was still pretty cool seeing him on the hill in orange and black.  

I remember reading that, and remember reading that he had some shoulder issues plague him after the dodgers that caused him to not ever be the same. Still had a very accomplished career, I bet that was pretty cool.

7 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

@HOZER and @2006Coltsbestever I had the perfect set up tonight, and same way tomorrow. Big TV NFL Draft with sound. Smaller TV sitting in front of other TV with the Cubs game on it

Nice! I had Cubs game on TV and draft tracker on phone then switched to the draft when game ended. I debated watching the game due to the mood they have put me in the last couple of games, but I caved, what can I say, I love my Cubbies! :dunno::rock:

3 hours ago, HOZER said:

Nice! I had Cubs game on TV and draft tracker on phone then switched to the draft when game ended. I debated watching the game due to the mood they have put me in the last couple of games, but I caved, what can I say, I love my Cubbies! :dunno::rock:

Haha I have pretty much a nice setup since I am streaming everything anyway. When Pacers and Cubs play at same time, Cubs on Big TV, Pacers on small. If I really needed to, I also have a 3rd tv that 32in I could use too, maybe football season. I also then have 2 laptops I can watch stuff on and a third to do my work on

Lester with 5 shut out innings for the Nationals in his debut and Schwarber hits a walk off HR to end the game in extra innings. In other news, the Cubs lost, again. Better effort this time at least, had a chance to win at the end but blew it. AND Contreras experiencing leg tightness and pulled from game. :facepalm:

30 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Lester with 5 shut out innings for the Nationals in his debut and Schwarber hits a walk off HR to end the game in extra innings. In other news, the Cubs lost, again. Better effort this time at least, had a chance to win at the end but blew it. AND Contreras experiencing leg tightness and pulled from game. :facepalm:

Yeah I seen where Bote had bases loaded and we were only down 8-6 in the 9th but he was the final out. We just don't have that magic so far this season. 

@HOZER, I think we will know by mid June whether we are a contender or should sale. If we are still below .500 by lets say June 15th that isn't good. We could get hot in May, then again we could keep losing :dunno:. Baseball is such a long season so I am not in super panic mode yet but I am in semi panic mode because I don't like the vibe of the team so far. I have always said baseball truly starts in June so if we show no life in the 1st 10 games or so in June then we are in trouble.

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@HOZER, I think we will know by mid June whether we are a contender or should sale. If we are still below .500 by lets say June 15th that isn't good. We could get hot in May, then again we could keep losing :dunno:. Baseball is such a long season so I am not in super panic mode yet but I am in semi panic mode because I don't like the vibe of the team so far. I have always said baseball truly starts in June so if we show no life in the 1st 10 games or so in June then we are in trouble.

I agree, although this vibe has been reoccurring in the last 2 seasons, it worries me. 

10 minutes ago, HOZER said:

I agree, although this vibe has been reoccurring in the last 2 seasons, it worries me. 

Yeah really since the 2019 season - the only season we have failed to make the playoffs in that span of 2015-2020 it has been downhill. 2019 and this year so far I have been watching an average team that is inconsistent. Luckily last season/the shortened season benefited us and we got off to that 13-3 start is why we won the division. The Cards had covid-19 problems too all season long. Starting 13-3 in a 60 game season was huge for us, I will take it but we still were inconsistent for the most part.

I hate rooting for the Dodgers but they are playing the division leading Brewers.  The Cardinals can pull within 1 game if things go right.  Low odds of that though.  The division bottom (Cubs) are still only 5 games out.   Like we all thought, this division will be tight.  I think the Brew Crew are the only ones capable of running away with it.  

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

I hate rooting for the Dodgers but they are playing the division leading Brewers.  The Cardinals can pull within 1 game if things go right.  Low odds of that though.  The division bottom (Cubs) are still only 5 games out.   Like we all thought, this division will be tight.  I think the Brew Crew are the only ones capable of running away with it.  

Yeah Dodgers aren't doing us any favors so far. Since starting 14-3, they have been 2-8! Not sure what is going on in LA. Brewers do seem like the best team in the division as of now and they are winning without Yelich which is scary. 

I swear Amir Garret on the Reds has no class, chirping at Rizzo for NO reason and causing the benches to clear. There’s a history there, but tonights little fracas was completely on Garret. Castellanos was fined and suspended for a very similar incident earlier in the season, they better get Garret too. Baez was ready to rumble too, love seeing them have each other’s back.

12 minutes ago, HOZER said:

I swear Amir Garret on the Reds has no class, chirping at Rizzo for NO reason and causing the benches to clear. There’s a history there, but tonights little fracas was completely on Garret. Castellanos was fined and suspended for a very similar incident earlier in the season, they better get Garret too. Baez was ready to rumble too, love seeing them have each other’s back.

Hopefully Kimbrel can close this out, we need a win in the worst way!

20 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Congrats. Did you see the post where I mentioned you. The kid seems like a great guy. I look forward to having him in my hometown. 

I did, he does same like a great guy, so cool that he made sure to thank his Mom for everything she’s done for him! Reminds me of my mom, I wouldn’t be who I am or where I am if it wasn’t for all her hard work after my dad passed away. 

Im nor familiar with that dish, it may be a Spanish recipe?

I love that he mentions Quentin Nelson as his favorite player, that’s my guy too!!!:rock:Man I wish the Colts would have picked him up instead, he looks like a fierce competitor, I see a lot of Big Q’s style in him, he loves the pancake! lol! 

1 hour ago, HOZER said:

I did, he does same like a great guy, so cool that he made sure to thank his Mom for everything she’s done for him! Reminds me of my mom, I wouldn’t be who I am or where I am if it wasn’t for all her hard work after my dad passed away. 

Im nor familiar with that dish, it may be a Spanish recipe?

I love that he mentions Quentin Nelson as his favorite player, that’s my guy too!!!:rock:Man I wish the Colts would have picked him up instead, he looks like a fierce competitor, I see a lot of Big Q’s style in him, he loves the pancake! lol! 

You would have a great pair of guards if the Colts had gotten him. 

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Amir Garrett has no business acting like he’s hot stuff when the team is basically in last place and he’s had a major role in our failures. The Reds would be so good if it wasn’t for such bad pitching. 

Our pitching is just as bad, other than Jake and Kimbrel it has been this Tim Robinson No GIF by The Lonely Island- Cubs down 9-6 in the 7th Inning now in the rubber match at Cincy. We are wasting away a career year by (MVP) Kris Bryant who has HR'd twice today, he has 9 now and he is batting .330. Really irritating.

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Happ just tied it with a 3 run HR, it is 12-12 . This is the game of who has the worse pitching :funny:

Now Nico makes a great catch going away but runs into Happ, and Happ is out of game. Nico goes from 2nd to LF, Bryant to CF, Wolters to 2B, Willson to Catch. No more bench players for cubs now

1 minute ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Now Nico makes a great catch going away but runs into Happ, and Happ is out of game. Nico goes from 2nd to RF, Heyward to CF, Wolters to 2B, Willson to Catch. No more bench players for cubs now

We got out of the 8th :applause:. 12-12 to the 9th, yeah I seen that collision. At first I was worried about Nico's knee's but he seems fine. Happ looked woozy and is out.

The fact that both teams need to score apparently over 10 runs a game just shows that there is a massive shortage of quality pitchers out there... 

Happy the Reds won, but also I do feel for all you Cubbies fans as you guys should definitely have swept us. 

15 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

The fact that both teams need to score apparently over 10 runs a game just shows that there is a massive shortage of quality pitchers out there... 

Happy the Reds won, but also I do feel for all you Cubbies fans as you guys should definitely have swept us. 

Nah regarding we should've swept you, congrats on the win. I look at the Reds and Cubs right now as pretty even teams. You guys have caught us IMO and from what I have seen so far the Brewers and Cards are the 2 best teams in the division. Pirates are probably still the worst team in the division but as of now we are in the ol cellar.  

6 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Umps need replace in just a month there has been soooo many bad calls

I keep waiting for the league to go to a machine that determines balls and strikes. That is the only way Umps can determine a game as of now since we have replay. They usually get replay right 99% of the time. You would still need a Ump behind the plate to call safe or out at home but a machine could be placed several feet behind the Ump to overrule what a Ump calls. A machine would be 100% accurate.

Just did tons of research over the last 2 hours to narrow this down basing it on stats and accomplishments + some of it is eye test as well. Here are my top 10 Chicago Cubs ever, here is the key - I based it on what they did in a Cubs uniform only. These are the best Cubs of all-time:

10. Jake Arrieta = 74-31, 1 NL CY Young, 2-0 WS record, WS Champion in a Cubs uniform. That WS win is gigantic!

9. Andre Dawson = .285 avg, 929 Hits, 587 RBI's, 174 HR's, 1 NL MVP in a Cubs uniform.

8. Greg Maddux = 133-112, 1 NL CY Young in a Cubs uniform.

7. Kris Bryant = .281 avg, 806 Hits, 433 RBI's, 149 HR's, NL Rookie of the Year, 1 NL MVP, WS Champion in a Cubs uniform. That WS win is gigantic, he won NL MVP the same season!

6. Ron Santo = .279 avg, 2171 Hits, 1290 RBI's, 342 HR's but no MVP's in a Cubs uniform. I still have him 6th. He had great longevity as a Cub.

5. Sammy Sosa = .284 avg, 1985 Hits, 1414 RBI's, 545 HR's, 1 NL MVP in a Cubs uniform. Only thing that bothers me about him is he did it in the steroid era. He was still a great Cub.

4. Fergie Jenkins = 284-226, 1 NL CY Young in a Cubs uniform.

3. Billy Williams = .296 avg, 2510 Hits, 1353 RBI's, 392 HR's, he never won an MVP which is shocking in a Cubs uniform.

2. Ryne Sandberg = .285 avg, 2385 Hits, 1061 RBI's, 282 HR's, 1 NL MVP in a Cubs uniform.

1. Ernie Banks = .274 avg, 2583 Hits, 1636 RBI's, 512 HR's, 2 NL MVP's.

-Thoughts?

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Just did tons of research over the last 2 hours to narrow this down basing it on stats and accomplishments + some of it is eye test as well. Here are my top 10 Chicago Cubs ever, here is the key - I based it on what they did in a Cubs uniform only. These are the best Cubs of all-time:

10. Jake Arrieta = 71-34, 1 NL CY Young, 2-0 WS record, WS Champion in a Cubs uniform. That WS win is gigantic!

9. Andre Dawson = .285 avg, 929 Hits, 587 RBI's, 174 HR's, 1 NL MVP in a Cubs uniform.

8. Greg Maddux = 133-112, 1 NL CY Young in a Cubs uniform.

7. Kris Bryant = .281 avg, 806 Hits, 433 RBI's, 149 HR's, NL Rookie of the Year, 1 NL MVP, WS Champion in a Cubs uniform. That WS win is gigantic, he won NL MVP the same season!

6. Ron Santo = .279 avg, 2171 Hits, 1290 RBI's, 342 HR's but no MVP's in a Cubs uniform. I still have him 6th. He had great longevity as a Cub.

5. Sammy Sosa = .284 avg, 1985 Hits, 1414 RBI's, 545 HR's, 1 NL MVP in a Cubs uniform. Only thing that bothers me about him is he did it in the steroid era. He was still a great Cub.

4. Fergie Jenkins = 284-226, 1 NL CY Young in a Cubs uniform.

3. Billy Williams = .296 avg, 2510 Hits, 1353 RBI's, 392 HR's, he never won an MVP which is shocking in a Cubs uniform.

2. Ryne Sandberg = .285 avg, 2385 Hits, 1061 RBI's, 282 HR's, 1 NL MVP in a Cubs uniform. He also won 9 Gold Gloves playing 2B.

1. Ernie Banks = .274 avg, 2583 Hits, 1636 RBI's, 512 HR's, 2 NL MVP's.

-Thoughts?

Adding to this, Hack Wilson made my Honorable Mention, in a Cubs uniform he had a .322 avg, 1017 Hits, 769 RBI's, and 190 HR's. He also still holds the record for most RBI's in a season with 191 which happened in 1930 in a Cubs uniform. That RBI record has lasted 90 years!

Archived