Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

I hear you. But we spent a lot to sign Trevor May. And he had been great for the Twins. He could not get hitters out in the 8th. 

I think the Mets' lack of runs is probably most responsible for the loss. They just can't hit with men in scoring position. I saw something on the broadcast yesterday that showed that the Mets led the NL in hitting last season (shocking) but were 7th in scoring (not a surprise). They can't put hits together to score enough runs to win.

My statement was just around the pulling DeGrom and the fact Bullpen needs to step up. Just the idea of not overusing and losing him due to that. I saw Ross today commented about leaving in his Pitcher too long for Cubs last night, when he should have pulled as he was wearing down. 

And very much, gotta score, especially with the Lindor signing. The Cubs no the RISP issue as we have been one of the worst teams the last few years in those situations. 

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Fly the flag @HOZER, Cubs took care of those pesky Brewers to improve to 3-1 on the season. Brewers are now 1-3, in the basement where they belong :funny:

Sorry Buddy, here you go....

609F037F-4232-4904-8354-53CC41D55F10.jpeg.ba8d5b64b4479d06a9fc34eab97461d1.jpeg

hopefully we get to fly a second one later, not a good start for Alzolay!!!!!:woah:

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Tonight was a toilet flusher. Can't win them all, still 3-2 on the season. The Reds look good so far this season but it is real early.

Freakin Brewers! Tired of them hitting our batters, might there be some payback coming tomorrow ?????:ninja:

Just now, HOZER said:

Freakin Brewers! Tired of them hitting our batters, might there be some payback coming tomorrow ?????:ninja:

Yeah the key is winning the series. Rubber game tomorrow. It is hard to sweep any team. Yeah I hate the Brewers, they are kind of dirty and cocky for never winning a WS. Hendricks pitches tomorrow, surely he can't have 2 bad games in a row?

Cubs get back to the W column today with 4-2 win over Pirates, Bryant, Rizzo, and Javy all had HRs, to score the runs. Cubs had 11 hits, so like a third of the hits this season came in this game. Jake went 6 again with 4Ks and 3 Walks giving up 2 runs. Brothers 3Ks in 1.1. Winkler terrible today, 3 walks to load bases after replacing Brothers, didnt record an out. Kimbrel came in strikeout next 2 batters to keep it a 2 run lead, then got his 350th Career regular season save in the 9th. 4-3 on the year, and if Brewers beat STL today, all 3 teams would be tied with Reds in first

5 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Cubs get back to the W column today with 4-2 win over Pirates, Bryant, Rizzo, and Javy all had HRs, to score the runs. Cubs had 11 hits, so like a third of the hits this season came in this game. Jake went 6 again with 4Ks and 3 Walks giving up 2 runs. Brothers 3Ks in 1.1. Winkler terrible today, 3 walks to load bases after replacing Brothers, didnt record an out. Kimbrel came in strikeout next 2 batters to keep it a 2 run lead, then got his 350th Career regular season save in the 9th. 4-3 on the year, and if Brewers beat STL today, all 3 teams would be tied with Reds in first

Jake now 2-0 on the season, he is now 70-31 in a Cubs uniform during the Regular Season with his 2 WS wins in 2016 as well. He doesn't look any different now than he did in a Cubs uniform back in 2017. Kimbrel looks like the guy I hoped he would be finally. El Mago came up big with that HR. We let one slip away yesterday vs the Brewers, our bullpen let us down but the Cubs got the win tonight. Now 4-3 on the season. Fly the Flag @HOZER.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Jake now 2-0 on the season, he is now 70-31 in a Cubs uniform during the Regular Season with his 2 WS wins in 2016 as well. He doesn't look any different now than he did in a Cubs uniform back in 2017. Kimbrel looks like the guy I hoped he would be finally. El Mago came up big with that HR. We let one slipped away yesterday vs the Brewers, our bullpen let us down but the Cubs got the win tonight. Now 4-3 on the season. Fly the Flag @HOZER.

I mean his motion is different due to aging. But hopefully can keep it all year. Kimbrel finally seems locked into his mechanics which this is also the first time as a Cub that he had a regular spring training ramp up. 

I would say yesterday was on the Offense not BP, just since we got one run in 9 innings after 0 day before. Mills missed and got hit. Workman messed up, but I mean Cain just was on yesterday

2 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I mean his motion is different due to aging. But hopefully can keep it all year. Kimbrel finally seems locked into his mechanics which this is also the first time as a Cub that he had a regular spring training ramp up. 

I would say yesterday was on the Offense not BP, just since we got one run in 9 innings after 0 day before. Mills missed and got hit. Workman messed up, but I mean Cain just was on yesterday

Yeah it was a combo of both. Our bullpen (Workman) and our hitting went stale for a couple of games. I thought Hendricks pitched well in the loss yesterday which is promising. Jake is doing what most elite pitchers have done in the past, as you pointed out he has adjusted differently because of age but so far still has good productivity and getting wins. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah it was a combo of both. Our bullpen (Workman) and our hitting went stale for a couple of games. I thought Hendricks pitched well in the loss yesterday which is promising. Jake is doing what most elite pitchers have done in the past, as you pointed out he has adjusted differently because of age but so far still has good productivity and getting wins. 

Ya Hendricks did better I think the cold in his first start effected him. And ya, but I mean like Jake has more of a change than most due to his throwing. It is considered crossbody which is much more taxing than most

1 minute ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Ya Hendricks did better I think the cold in his first start effected him. And ya, but I mean like Jake has more of a change than most due to his throwing. It is considered crossbody which is much more taxing than most

I remember when Maddux adapted due to get older. He was always known for his nasty curve anyway but in his prime he was throwing around 93 MPH, as he got older his fastball was only around 87-88 on average but he changed his mechanics as well which helped him last a long time.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I remember when Maddux adapted due to get older. He was always known for his nasty curve anyway but in his prime he was throwing around 93 MPH, as he got older his fastball was only around 87-88 on average but he changed his mechanics as well which helped him last a long time.

Haha Maddux is before my time

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

Nice to see the Cardinals put a couple wins together.  Nice home opener for Arenado.   A tiebreaking 2 run home run in the bottom of the 8th.  

Cards will be fine, you worry about them every year lol but they will probably win 90 games - their usual. I am worried about the Cubs this year, more than usual because for the 1st time in years they are weaker in certain area's than they have been. Cubs could very well win 90 too but that is not a given. The Reds are much better this year so the competition is tougher and the Brewers are still pesky-good.

54 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cards will be fine, you worry about them every year lol but they will probably win 90 games - their usual. I am worried about the Cubs this year, more than usual because for the 1st time in years they are weaker in certain area's than they have been. Cubs could very well win 90 too but that is not a given. The Reds are much better this year so the competition is tougher and the Brewers are still pesky-good.

The Cardinals usually do pretty good, but it's been a while since they were one of the best teams.

Last 4 seasons:

2019 - 91 wins

2018 - 88

2017 - 83

2016 - 86

Lots of new faces on the team this year and the NL Central will be tough (like you said).  Any of the 4 teams (not the Pirates) can realistically win the division.

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

The Cardinals usually do pretty good, but it's been a while since they were one of the best teams.

Last 4 seasons:

2019 - 91 wins

2018 - 88

2017 - 83

2016 - 86

Lots of new faces on the team this year and the NL Central will be tough (like you said).  Any of the 4 teams (not the Pirates) can realistically win the division.

2019 was pretty solid, this season could go a lot of ways. It will be interesting with the Reds being better.

14 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Jake now 2-0 on the season, he is now 70-31 in a Cubs uniform during the Regular Season with his 2 WS wins in 2016 as well. He doesn't look any different now than he did in a Cubs uniform back in 2017. Kimbrel looks like the guy I hoped he would be finally. El Mago came up big with that HR. We let one slip away yesterday vs the Brewers, our bullpen let us down but the Cubs got the win tonight. Now 4-3 on the season. Fly the Flag @HOZER.

I’ll fix this near 24 hour delay I swear lol....

image.thumb.png.f568ac29a897b31b8659a121e44bd714.png

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I wouldn't say the Reds are better, as they lost and traded a bunch of their guys. I mean they swept the Pirates and beat the Cards twice. I am thinking they are gonna be Mariner, like a couple years ago, got off to hot start when no one expects and then come crashing back down when teams start to separate.

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

What happened? I did not check baseball the last couple of days. 

Cubs bats falling silent once again, El Mago hit a HR that was pretty much the only highlight, that and two of our batters getting hit once again and resulting in one our coaches getting tossed for complaining. I hope they can put it all together soon.

1 hour ago, HOZER said:

Cubs bats falling silent once again, El Mago hit a HR that was pretty much the only highlight, that and two of our batters getting hit once again and resulting in one our coaches getting tossed for complaining. I hope they can put it all together soon.

That sounds like the Mets :( . Let's hope they improve. Thankfully the baseball season is long. By June 1st, if they are still not hitting consistently, we should be concerned. 

Cardinals drop 2 straight to the Brewers.  The NL Central is going to be a wild one this year.  Anyone can win the division and it's going to come down to who can stay healthiest and possibly who make a move or two at the trade deadline.

Looks like the Cubs, Cards, Brewers and Reds are just going to beat up on each other, so the team that can do well outside the division may be the one to win the Central.

I'm going to a baseball game tonight!!!  The Reds Alternate Site games are taking place here in Louisville, the AAA home of the Bats, who are the Reds AAA affiliate.  So, there are guys here not on the 26 man Reds roster, but there are some prospects playing and several of these players will end up on the Bats roster.

I'm not a Reds fan, per se, but since the Bats are here, I do get familiar with the Reds minor leaguers.

Regardless, it's the first baseball game I'll have attended since 2019 and it's going to be 70 degrees and sunny at game time this evening.  I'm really excited!!!

3 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Cardinals drop 2 straight to the Brewers.  The NL Central is going to be a wild one this year.  Anyone can win the division and it's going to come down to who can stay healthiest and possibly who make a move or two at the trade deadline.

Looks like the Cubs, Cards, Brewers and Reds are just going to beat up on each other, so the team that can do well outside the division may be the one to win the Central.

I'm going to a baseball game tonight!!!  The Reds Alternate Site games are taking place here in Louisville, the AAA home of the Bats, who are the Reds AAA affiliate.  So, there are guys here not on the 26 man Reds roster, but there are some prospects playing and several of these players will end up on the Bats roster.

I'm not a Reds fan, per se, but since the Bats are here, I do get familiar with the Reds minor leaguers.

Regardless, it's the first baseball game I'll have attended since 2019 and it's going to be 70 degrees and sunny at game time this evening.  I'm really excited!!!

Have a great time, I'm sure you will.    

I forgot that Louisville was not a Cardinal affiliate anymore.    They haven't been for a long time.    

4 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Very nice! I am probably going to be at a Cardinals game some time this month. Tickets are cheap, and it is like a 15min drive so why not head down. I went to a Blues games this weekend, and all was well. So happy to have stadium again and I am planning on being up to Twins in June for a game there

10 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

That's great! Have a wonderful time and give us a report. @RollerColt is a Reds fan and may be interested in hearing how the game went. 

I have to go to a game soon. 

Base hits make great things happen, as the Brewers are showing. My goodness. I know too early to get frustrated but this has been a continued issue. Seems like it’s home run or nothing for some of these guys. 

29 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Base hits make great things happen, as the Brewers are showing. My goodness. I know too early to get frustrated but this has been a continued issue. Seems like it’s home run or nothing for some of these guys. 

Bryant hit the early HR then after that nothing. We are struggling bigtime! 4-6 on the season so far. It is early but we don't look good.

35 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Bryant hit the early HR then after that nothing. We are struggling bigtime! 4-6 on the season so far. It is early but we don't look good.

Scored 2 in the 9th but not enough. Cubs lose 6-3. Coming into this season, I said this could be a 90 win team or an 80 win team. I picked us to win 90 and win the division basically because I am a homer lmao , so far we look like an 80 win team. Let me say this as @Jay Kirk always says, it is way too early to panic. 152 games left. Baseball doesn't really start until June but you would like to be at least .500 heading into June not digging a huge hole, then take off. 

33 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Might be a long season my man. 

Here is a question for not just Cubs fans but everyone that posts on this thread,

If the Cubs with the current core players that they have had = Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Hendricks, and I will include Jake because he was on the team in 2017 and back again now (all members of the 2016 WS championship team), fail to win another WS, have they:

A. Underachieved by not at least winning 2 WS

B. Overachieved because along with winning the WS in 2016, they have won 3 NL Central Division titles as well = 2016, 2017, and 2020

C. Did what they were suppose too by ending the 108 yr jinx of not winning a WS by winning it all in 2016 + staying good with the 2 other NL Central Division titles in 2017 and 2020

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Here is a question for not just Cubs fans but everyone that posts on this thread,

If the Cubs with the current core players that they have had = Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Hendricks, and I will include Jake because he was on the team in 2017 and back again now (all members of the 2016 WS championship team), fail to win another WS, have they:

B. Overachieved because along with winning the WS in 2016, they have won 3 NL Central Division titles as well = 2016, 2017, and 2020

C. Did what they were suppose too by ending the 108 yr jinx of not winning a WS by winning it all in 2016 + staying good with the 2 other NL Central Division titles in 2017 and 2020

I will start off by answering this, my answer is C. I thought about A because we have had great players but I know how tough it is to win a WS. I have seen teams like the Indians be very good/borderline great for years recently and come up short. During the Braves run in the 90's, they only won 1 WS and they dominated the whole decade + the 1st part of the 2000's, look at how many times the current Dodgers core team have failed to win a WS up until last season? Dodgers have been loaded for years. Yankees haven't won a WS since the 2009 season either. So my final answer is C.

20 hours ago, Myles said:

Have a great time, I'm sure you will.    

I forgot that Louisville was not a Cardinal affiliate anymore.    They haven't been for a long time.    

Yes, it's been a long time since they were the Cardinals AAA affiliate.  In 1982, A. Ray Smith moved the Springfield Redbirds to Louisville as the Cardinals AAA affiliate in the American Association.  This is when I became a St. Louis Cardinals fan, because I could go see future Cardinals as they were working their way up to the majors.

The Louisville Redbirds played in Cardinal Stadium, which was the former home of the Louisville Colonels (Red Sox affiliate) and also the home of the University of Louisville football Cardinals.  The Redbirds enjoyed great success in Louisville and in their first season broke many minor league attendance records.  In 1983, they because the first minor league franchise to draw over 1 million fans during a season.

In 1998, the Cardinals switched their AAA affiliate to Memphis and Louisville became the AAA team for the Milwaukee Brewers.  They were still the Redbirds in 1998 and then changed their name to the River Bats in 1999.

In 2000, the team moved to their new downtown ballpark, Louisville Slugger Field.  That year, they also became the AAA Affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds and continue that affiliation now.

19 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Very nice! I am probably going to be at a Cardinals game some time this month. Tickets are cheap, and it is like a 15min drive so why not head down. I went to a Blues games this weekend, and all was well. So happy to have stadium again and I am planning on being up to Twins in June for a game there

Have you been to a Cardinals game before?  Busch Stadium is really nice and the view of the Arch beyond center field is a great backdrop.  Hope you can make a game there...I am hoping to do the same later this summer.

13 hours ago, NFLfan said:

That's great! Have a wonderful time and give us a report. @RollerColt is a Reds fan and may be interested in hearing how the game went. 

I have to go to a game soon. 

I had a great time!  Sorry, I can't give a final score, but when I left at the end of the 6th inning, the Indians led 3-0.  It was getting late and I had to work today.

Interesting that the Reds were wearing the Cincinnati spring training jerseys, but the Indians were wearing the Columbus Clippers uniforms, so it was kinda strange.

The players are most likely going to be AAA and AA players this year, but there may be a couple that get called up due to an injury to a major league player.

It was still baseball and the first time I've been to a game since mid-summer of 2019, so it was a very pleasurable evening.  Tickets were cheap and seating was general admission, so you could sit anywhere in the designated areas.  They limited ticket sales so everyone could be spread out.

Here's a view from my seat behind home plate.

small IMG-0720.jpg

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I'm somewhere in between A and C, but not B.  They've spent allot of money and have had some great players, so not making a second World Series (not even winning it) should have been pretty good odds.  But it is not easy in baseball to get there.  Although their exit being in the wild card game 2 of the past 3 years is bad.   In 2018 against the Rockies their bats went silent as they lost 2-1.    

2 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Yes, it's been a long time since they were the Cardinals AAA affiliate.  In 1982, A. Ray Smith moved the Springfield Redbirds to Louisville as the Cardinals AAA affiliate in the American Association.  This is when I became a St. Louis Cardinals fan, because I could go see future Cardinals as they were working their way up to the majors.

The Louisville Redbirds played in Cardinal Stadium, which was the former home of the Louisville Colonels (Red Sox affiliate) and also the home of the University of Louisville football Cardinals.  The Redbirds enjoyed great success in Louisville and in their first season broke many minor league attendance records.  In 1983, they because the first minor league franchise to draw over 1 million fans during a season.

In 1998, the Cardinals switched their AAA affiliate to Memphis and Louisville became the AAA team for the Milwaukee Brewers.  They were still the Redbirds in 1998 and then changed their name to the River Bats in 1999.

In 2000, the team moved to their new downtown ballpark, Louisville Slugger Field.  That year, they also became the AAA Affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds and continue that affiliation now.

Have you been to a Cardinals game before?  Busch Stadium is really nice and the view of the Arch beyond center field is a great backdrop.  Hope you can make a game there...I am hoping to do the same later this summer.

I had a great time!  Sorry, I can't give a final score, but when I left at the end of the 6th inning, the Indians led 3-0.  It was getting late and I had to work today.

Interesting that the Reds were wearing the Cincinnati spring training jerseys, but the Indians were wearing the Columbus Clippers uniforms, so it was kinda strange.

The players are most likely going to be AAA and AA players this year, but there may be a couple that get called up due to an injury to a major league player.

It was still baseball and the first time I've been to a game since mid-summer of 2019, so it was a very pleasurable evening.  Tickets were cheap and seating was general admission, so you could sit anywhere in the designated areas.  They limited ticket sales so everyone could be spread out.

Here's a view from my seat behind home plate.

small IMG-0720.jpg

I agree, Busch stadium is a great place.  

Fort Wayne has a San Diego affiliate team.  It's a very nice stadium.   I went to several games over the years.   It was nice to see Fernando Tatis Jr. develop in his years on the Fort Wayne tin Caps.   I always pulled for him because I remember his dad playing for the Cardinals.   Tatis Sr's claim to fame is being the only player ever to hit 2 grand slams in 1 inning.  He still holds the record for most RBI's in an inning too.   

FORT WAYNE, Ind. - Stadium Journey has once again ranked Parkview Field as the No. 1 Class A ballpark in Minor League Baseball. The home of the Fort Wayne TinCaps has topped the publication's list of Class A venues for 10 consecutive years since their rankings began.

Archived