Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was thinking of a few other words but can't say them in here, don't want to get banned lmao . 

Yep. Another rough outing for Hendricks, no offense, and another sound beating. Rizzo, Duffy, and Sogard on the mound so far,  things are starting to get too cute....10-0 in the 8th, probably shutting it off now.

Fire sale coming.

4 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Yep. Another rough outing for Hendricks, no offense, and another sound beating. Rizzo, Duffy, and Sogard on the mound so far,  things are starting to get too cute....10-0 in the 8th, probably shutting it off now.

Fire sale coming.

Yeah this isn't looking good, this team looks pretty bad right now. Not sure what is going to happen.

1 minute ago, HOZER said:

The Ricketts have spent millions revitalizing Wrigley Field, Wrigleyville, and the Cubs brand, and the team has gone to hell. Focus should have stayed on the product on the field first. 

GoCubsGo.

We could've actually kept Yu and signed Jake, not sure why we got rid of Yu?? Yu was great last season. When Theo left so quickly I figured something was wrong internally. Bryant has actually had a very good season so far but the team as a whole looks content plays flat at times. Baez all of the sudden can't hit a fastball and Rizzo has been average at best. Also as I have mentioned not having a 3rd starting pitcher you can rely on to win consistently almost gives a team no chance of being good. Hendricks as of now doesn't even look good. Jake has been good.

10 minutes ago, HOZER said:

The Ricketts have spent millions revitalizing Wrigley Field, Wrigleyville, and the Cubs brand, and the team has gone to hell. Focus should have stayed on the product on the field first. 

GoCubsGo.

:ranton:One more thing....

people are now having to pay to watch this product thanks to the “Marquee” channel...for this? People pay additional money to have it added to their tv package, for this crap? People pay $100s  maybe 1000’s to go to Wrigley, for this? What gives? Is it Ross? Hitting Coach? Pitching(duh)Team giving up? What gives? Why have the bats gone stone cold? Why does it seem like they only want to hit home runs and not simply move runners around?

:rantoff:

3 minutes ago, HOZER said:

people are now having to pay to watch this product thanks to the “Marquee” channel...for this? People pay additional money to have it added to their tv package, for this crap? People pay $100s to go to Wrigley, for this? What gives? Is it Ross? Hitting Coach? Team giving up? What gives?

I feel ya. Imagine going to Wrigley with a group of friends, partying it up, having a few beers and bragging about our team and our WS win, then after the 1st Inning it is 6-0 opposing team even before you can get a hotdog - Boooooooooooo.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I feel ya. Imagine going to Wrigley with a group of friends, partying it up, having a few beers and bragging about our team and our WS win, then after the 1st Inning it is 6-0 opposing team even before you can get a hotdog - Boooooooooooo.

That would definitely stink. Dont get me wrong, I’ve been to quite a few losing efforts at Wrigley, and still had a blast. The environment at Wrigley, Wrigleyville, and just being among Cubs fans is always a good time, win/lose, but this just feels different? IDK. I know the Cubs were the “lovable losers” and stunk for a long time, but this team seemed to have turned the page just before the World Series win. :dunno:

17 minutes ago, HOZER said:

people are now having to pay to watch this product thanks to the “Marquee” channel...for this? People pay additional money to have it added to their tv package, for this crap? People pay $100s  maybe 1000’s to go to Wrigley, for this? What gives? Is it Ross? Hitting Coach? Pitching(duh)Team giving up? What gives? Why have the bats gone stone cold? Why does it seem like they only want to hit home runs and not simply move runners around?

I mean i would point out, even before Marquee a ton of games were on CSN/NBCSports Chicago. So even then were paying extra. And I mean think about before the WS, that was all Wrigley going seeing them get killed but the fun atmosphere. And can't blame Manager, or Hitting Coach, this was going on for over 3 years now. It is the players. In regards to pitching, I honestly wonder if it is something to do with the new ball? Both Davies and Hendricks are not themselves with control at all which neither have had this issue like this before. I really think the ball is causing some of their issues since they are feel and control based. 

17 minutes ago, HOZER said:

That would definitely stink. Dont get me wrong, I’ve been to quite a few losing efforts at Wrigley, and still had a blast. The environment at Wrigley, Wrigleyville, and just being among Cubs fans is always a good time, win/lose, but this just feels different? IDK. I know the Cubs were the “lovable losers” and stunk for a long time, but this team seemed to have turned the page just before the World Series win. :dunno:

A 2nd WS win would've been really nice with Bryant, Baez, Rizzo, Contreras, Jake, Hendricks, etc.. If this is it, we still had a very good run with those players being involved, we did get the 1 so the jinx is gone and we will always be known as a World Champion in the era we watched. Having said that we had such promise to win 2 or 3, looks like it won't happen with this core.

I would like to get some American League fans to join our party here.@Barry Sears is a fan of Tampa as well as the Cards and he does post here.

@w87r How are the Yankees doing?

@Coltsman1788 You should post on the baseball thread. We all get along well despite being fans of many different teams. There are other Orioles fans here.

@RollerColt How are the Reds doing. Is Votto still playing?

@buccolts How are the Pirates doing this season?

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Here is a fun exercise:

Regarding your favorite team, name your favorite season and why. With Cubs fans that is easy, it is 2016, why - that was their 1st WS Championship in 108 seasons and the team went 103-58. 

I will think about it. My brain is fried now. 

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

I would like to get some American League fans to join our party here.@Barry Sears is a fan of Tampa as well as the Cards and he does post here.

@Coltsman1788 You should post on the baseball thread. We all get along well despite being fans of many different teams. There are other Orioles fans here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/reds-joey-votto-pulls-off-triple-play-that-paves-way-for-comeback-win/amp/

47 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Here is a fun exercise:

Regarding your favorite team, name your favorite season and why. With Cubs fans that is easy, it is 2016, why - that was their 1st WS Championship in 108 seasons and the team went 103-58. 

same for me, magical season

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Here is a fun exercise:

1983... The last time the Orioles won the World Series. I was in the 6th grade and my favorite teacher was a Phillies fan which made it all the more memorable.  My fondest memories of the O's teams are from the early 80's. Eddie Murray and Cal Ripen Jr. were my childhood heroes.

I got to ask Cal a question during a baseball clinic held at Old Dominion University way back when. He was with Ozzie Smith.  Made my summer.  At the time I had no idea the icons they would both become in the sport.  

11 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

1983... The last time the Orioles won the World Series. I was in the 6th grade and my favorite teacher was a Phillies fan which made it all the more memorable.  My fondest memories of the O's teams are from the early 80's. Eddie Murray and Cal Ripen Jr. were my childhood heroes.

I got to ask Cal a question during a baseball clinic held at Old Dominion University way back when. He was with Ozzie Smith.  Made my summer.  At the time I had no idea the icons they would both become in the sport.  

Great stuff! When you are a kid like that, Baseball seems like it is everything. I became a Cubs fan at the age of 12 going on 13 in 1984 because I loved Ryne Sandberg and Cubs games were on every day on WGN. I loved listening to Harry, he was a riot and the Cubs were very good that season. Kris Bryant is my favorite player mainly because we won the WS in 2016 and he won MVP, just can't top that. Having said that Ryne Sandberg and Andre Dawson were my childhood hero's.

4 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

This is great! In the late 90s (1996 through 1999), I would vacation in Florida with a friend the first to second week of March each year. We attended several Spring Training games during those years, two to three were with the Mets playing the Orioles in Fort Lauderdale (or maybe it was West Palm Beach). IIRC, back then the Oruoles shared their Spring Training home with the now defunct Montreal Expos. After one game, Cal Ripken sat in his car and signed autographs for fans for at least 30 minutes. Brady Anderson did too for an even longer period. I think that was in 1996. I can't recall his name but there was this really good Orioles player that had played for Texas, I believe. He always denied taking steroids but had tested positive. (He went to Congress and vehemently denied it.) He would have been a Hall of Famer had he not tested positive. Anyway, he and Mets John Franco both refused to sign autographs for fans. I recalled thinking they were terrible people. Lol. 

Welcome to the Baseball Thread. Nice to have you join us. 

8 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Tbh, I've been so busy, I haven't been following to closely. On top of that I left my baseball keeper league after 12 years this season so that has led to even less following than usual.

They seem to be off to a slow start out the gates though. In all phases of the game. Outside Cole they're pretty meh.

8 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Yep, after all these years Votto is still with us, and naturally doing quite well. The Reds as a team? I have no clue what to make of them at this point ha... They got swept by the Cards, but then went into LA and won the series 2-1 over the Dodgers. We've got the Cubbies starting tomorrow so that should be interesting. 

5 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Great stuff! When you are a kid like that, Baseball seems like it is everything. I became a Cubs fan at the age of 12 going on 13 in 1984 because I loved Ryne Sandberg and Cubs games were on every day on WGN. I loved listening to Harry, he was a riot and the Cubs were very good that season. Kris Bryant is my favorite player mainly because we won the WS in 2016 and he won MVP, just can't top that. Having said that Ryne Sandberg and Andre Dawson were my childhood hero's.

My first memories of baseball are sitting up late with my pops watching the Dodgers and lefty pitcher Fernando Valenzuela throw screwballs! Had a pretty good bat, too. My dad was so proud too see someone from his home country/region make it big in the MLB. Man I miss those days!

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Here is a fun exercise:

I was only 2 at the time, but as a Reds fan 1990 was pretty dang sweet. Sweeping Oakland in a massive upset for the WS. Too bad I don't remember much of it. 

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Here is a fun exercise:

Mine is the 182 season where the Cardinals beat the Brew Crew for the Championship.  I was 12 years old.   Always been a fan of small ball and the 82 Cardinals defined it perfectly.   The Cardinals only hit 67 HR's that season.   The Brewers hit 216.  

Herzog loved the stolen base more than any other manager of the last 100 years. In his 2,409 games in the dugout, his teams swiped 3,036 bases. That’s 1.26 steals per game. Among skippers with over 1,600 games managed since 1920, the next best SB/G rate is 0.92 by Chuck Tanner. Drop the games floor to 1,000 and the runner up is Buck Rodgers at 1.03 SB/G. Any way you slice it, Herzog loved the stolen base like no one else.

During the regular season summed it up when they had their backup catcher steal home in the bottom of the 12th inning to beat the Giants who had won 10 games in a row.   A backup catcher who was in the minors a week before.   In his whole career he had stolen 4 bases in 12 attempts.  

The fun came in the bottom of the 12th. After a George Hendrick fly out began the inning, backup catcher Glenn Brummer singled to begin a rally. Immediately after that, McGee singled him to second, and a few minutes later a Smith single loaded the bases.

With two outs, Herzog had an idea. Gary Lavelle, the Giants pitcher, was a lefty. That meant he had his back to third base and so wasn’t watching the runner. And the runner was a backup catcher, so who could even imagine one of those guys trying to steal home?

Well, as it happens, that’s exactly what happened. It was as unlikely and unexpected a move as you could imagine, and that’s why it worked. With the element of surprise as strong as you’ll ever see it, Brummer stole home for the walk-off win in the bottom of the 12th for a 5-4 Cardinals victory over the Giants.

In the World Series, they lost the first game so it didn't look good.   They ended up winning it in 7 games.  

Darrel Porter

Lonnie Smith

Bruce Sutter

Ozzie Smith

Willie McGee

Juaquin Andujar

George Hendrick

Keith Hernandez

It was a fun team to watch.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Mine is the 182 season where the Cardinals beat the Brew Crew for the Championship.  I was 12 years old.   Always been a fan of small ball and the 82 Cardinals defined it perfectly.   The Cardinals only hit 67 HR's that season.   The Brewers hit 216.  

Herzog loved the stolen base more than any other manager of the last 100 years. In his 2,409 games in the dugout, his teams swiped 3,036 bases. That’s 1.26 steals per game. Among skippers with over 1,600 games managed since 1920, the next best SB/G rate is 0.92 by Chuck Tanner. Drop the games floor to 1,000 and the runner up is Buck Rodgers at 1.03 SB/G. Any way you slice it, Herzog loved the stolen base like no one else.

During the regular season summed it up when they had their backup catcher steal home in the bottom of the 12th inning to beat the Giants who had won 10 games in a row.   A backup catcher who was in the minors a week before.   In his whole career he had stolen 4 bases in 12 attempts.  

The fun came in the bottom of the 12th. After a George Hendrick fly out began the inning, backup catcher Glenn Brummer singled to begin a rally. Immediately after that, McGee singled him to second, and a few minutes later a Smith single loaded the bases.

With two outs, Herzog had an idea. Gary Lavelle, the Giants pitcher, was a lefty. That meant he had his back to third base and so wasn’t watching the runner. And the runner was a backup catcher, so who could even imagine one of those guys trying to steal home?

Well, as it happens, that’s exactly what happened. It was as unlikely and unexpected a move as you could imagine, and that’s why it worked. With the element of surprise as strong as you’ll ever see it, Brummer stole home for the walk-off win in the bottom of the 12th for a 5-4 Cardinals victory over the Giants.

In the World Series, they lost the first game so it didn't look good.   They ended up winning it in 7 games.  

Darrel Porter

Lonnie Smith

Bruce Sutter

Ozzie Smith

Willie McGee

Juaquin Andujar

George Hendrick

Keith Hernandez

It was a fun team to watch.

You are basically the same age as me, that team was so fundamentally sound and played flawless defense. The teams the Cardinals had during the 80's were so solid. Believe me I remember lmao . I thought their 1985 team was their best team but they didn't win it all, they didn't because of a bad call though in Game 6 of the WS at KC. I would've loved to seen the 1982 Cards take on the 2016 Cubs in a 7 game series.

I love the lineup the Cards had, Cubs would counter with

CF - Dexter Fowler

2B - Javier Baez

3B - Kris Bryant

1B - Anthony Rizzo (clean up)

LF - Ben Zobrist - I would put him in Left

SS - Addison Russell

C - Will Contreras

RF - Jason Heyward

P - Jake Arrieta or Jon Lester with Chapman closing

Herzog was a great manager, he vs Maddon is a push IMO.

12 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Well, by the record it appears they're playing better than all the 'experts' thought they would, and it looks like most all of that has been without their best player(?). But, it's only about 25 games in, so too early to assume the direction either way. Good luck to them. Looking forward to the 2022 season.

34 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Well, by the record it appears they're playing better than all the 'experts' thought they would, and it looks like most all of that has been without their best player(?). But, it's only about 25 games in, so too early to assume the direction either way. Good luck to them. Looking forward to the 2022 season.

Pirates look better than the Cubs right now lol. They have some good young talent.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You are basically the same age as me, that team was so fundamentally sound and played flawless defense. The teams the Cardinals had during the 80's were so solid. Believe me I remember lmao . I thought their 1985 team was their best team but they didn't win it all, they didn't because of a bad call though in Game 6 of the WS at KC. I would've loved to seen the 1982 Cards take on the 2016 Cubs in a 7 game series.

I love the lineup the Cards had, Cubs would counter with

CF - Dexter Fowler

2B - Javier Baez

3B - Kris Bryant

1B - Anthony Rizzo (clean up)

LF - Ben Zobrist - I would put him in Left

SS - Addison Russell

C - Will Contreras

RF - Jason Heyward

P - Jake Arrieta or Jon Lester with Chapman closing

Herzog was a great manager, he vs Maddon is a push IMO.

The 2011 Championship was good too.   7 game series against the Rangers.  Game 6 was amazing.   They were down by 2 in the 9th with 2 outs and 2 strikes.  That's when Freeze hit a 2 run homer to send it to extra innings.   Then they were down by 2 in the 10th with 2 outs and 2 strikes and tied it up again.   In the 11th, Freese hit the walk off HR to send it to game 7.     

1 minute ago, Myles said:

The 2011 Championship was good too.   7 game series against the Rangers.  Game 6 was amazing.   They were down by 2 in the 9th with 2 outs and 2 strikes.  That's when Freeze hit a 2 run homer to send it to extra innings.   Then they were down by 2 in the 10th with 2 outs and 2 strikes and tied it up again.   In the 11th, Freese hit the walk off HR to send it to game 7.     

Yeah that team did what the Cubs did to the Indians in 2016 to an extent. Rangers already had the Champagne ready but not so fast lmao 

54 minutes ago, Myles said:

That 2011 season is my choice...the World Series was amazing and so exciting to watch!

11 hours ago, NFLfan said:

This is great! In the late 90s (1996 through 1999), I would vacation in Florida with a friend the first to second week of March each year. We attended several Spring Training games during those years, two to three were with the Mets playing the Orioles in Fort Lauderdale (or maybe it was West Palm Beach). IIRC, back then the Oruoles shared their Spring Training home with the now defunct Montreal Expos. After one game, Cal Ripken sat in his car and signed autographs for fans for at least 30 minutes. Brady Anderson did too for an even longer period. I think that was in 1996. I can't recall his name but there was this really good Orioles player that had played for Texas, I believe. He always denied taking steroids but had tested positive. (He went to Congress and vehemently denied it.) He would have been a Hall of Famer had he not tested positive. Anyway, he and Mets John Franco both refused to sign autographs for fans. I recalled thinking they were terrible people. Lol. 

Welcome to the Baseball Thread. Nice to have you join us. 

I believe the Oriole player that you are referring to is Rafael Palmeiro.  lol  He was a great player for many years with the O's until the truth came out about his steriods use.  He actually came up in the Cubs system if I remember correctly.  He was a slap hitting outfielder back then.  Went to Texas and found his power or steroids.  lol Came to Baltimore and continued hitting homers until he didn't any more.  Sorry to hear he wasn't too friendly to the fans.  Brady Anderson who did sign and was affable with fans was also implicated for steroid use later in his career.  One year, he just exploded and hit 50 homers as a lead off hitter.  lol  I figured something was up but just enjoyed the ride while it last.  The steroid era was fun...you gotta admit it.  lol  

11 hours ago, HOZER said:

My first memories of baseball are sitting up late with my pops watching the Dodgers and lefty pitcher Fernando Valenzuela throw screwballs! Had a pretty good bat, too. My dad was so proud too see someone from his home country/region make it big in the MLB. Man I miss those days!

Fernando Valenzuela was magic with the Dodgers during that time.  I remember him well.  Did you know he actually played for the O's later in his career?  I believe it was sometime during the 90's.  Wasn't no where near the same pitcher then but it was still pretty cool seeing him on the hill in orange and black.  

12 hours ago, HOZER said:

Baseball was so great in the past and older fans say that it was even better than when I started watching (in 80s). When I was younger, I used to enjoy listening to baseball talk on sports radio, with older fans talking about the history of baseball. It was great. I watched Ken Burns' Baseball series on the sports history. It was fantastic. 

My favorite Mets season may have been the 1988 season but the Mets lost to the Dodgers in the playoffs. That year the Mets played the Dodgers in the regular season 11 to 12 times and lost only 1 game. I was confident we would win that playoff series but Orel Hershiser and Kirk Gibson had other plans. :(

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Baseball was so great in the past and older fans say that it was even better than when I started watching (in 80s). When I was younger, I used to enjoy listening to baseball talk on sports radio, with older fans talking about the history of baseball. It was great. I watched Ken Burns' Baseball series on the sports history. It was fantastic. 

My favorite Mets season my have been the 1988 season but they lost to the Dodgers in the playoffs. That year the Mets played the Dodgers in the regular season 11 to 12 times and lost only 1 game. I was confident we would win that series but Orel Hershiser and Kirk Gibson had other plans. :(

Yeah I thought the Mets would win that series as well, they lost in 7 games in the NLCS. I remember a game at Wrigley in 1984 when the Cubs played the Cards, people were so rowdy in the stands, throwing beer in the air after HR's , smoking cigs, and a lot had their shirts off lmao . Times are so different now. 

1 hour ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I believe the Oriole player that you are referring to is Rafael Palmeiro.  lol  He was a great player for many years with the O's until the truth came out about his steriods use.  He actually came up in the Cubs system if I remember correctly.  He was a slap hitting outfielder back then.  Went to Texas and found his power or steroids.  lol Came to Baltimore and continued hitting homers until he didn't any more.  Sorry to hear he wasn't too friendly to the fans.  Brady Anderson who did sign and was affable with fans was also implicated for steroid use later in his career.  One year, he just exploded and hit 50 homers as a lead off hitter.  lol  I figured something was up but just enjoyed the ride while it last.  The steroid era was fun...you gotta admit it.  lol  

Yes. That's him. 

I do remember when Brady Anderson hit those 50 HRs. Those were the days that I followed baseball closely. I don't follow as much as I used to. I don't think I know any Orioles player. I used to know almost all the players in MLB. Not anymore.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Yes. That's him. 

I do remember when Brady Anderson hit those 50 HRs. Those were the days that I followed baseball closely. I don't follow as much as I used to. I don't think I know any Orioles player. I used to know almost all the players in MLB. Not anymore.

Same here.  I don't follow the game no where near as close any more.  Though I still love the game fundamentally.  For me, I have become exhausted watching Baltimore go through rebuild after rebuild after rebuild.  When they get good and you fall in love with players they are jettisoned and you have to start all over again. It's been demoralizing quite honestly. Its hard to generate much interest in the game when you know your boys are over matched and out gunned year in and year out...especially in the division they play in.  But I'll always be a Birds fan regardless.

6 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

When they get good and you fall in love with players they are jettisoned and you have to start all over again. It's been demoralizing quite honestly. Its hard to generate much interest in the game when you know your boys are over matched and out gunned year in and year out.

I agree very much with what I put in bold. I really dislike signing other teams' stars and my team getting rid of players that I have been rooting for. 

Archived