Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Terrible call against lions

jvan1973

I saw that play and was initially disappointed, but after thinking about it I think that the NFL got it right.  For me the tackle was done in that manner was unnecessary 

Instead of just twirling him around and going to the ground with the running back, the dline man pick up Elliot (you can also see in the replay that he lifts his left leg up underneath Elliot to get better leverage for the lift) and dropped him to the ground.  

I think the refs thought that his forward progress was stopped as the whistle blew as he was throwing Elliot to the ground.  Thus giving them the legal means to say the action was after the play was over

Either way for me it could of been unnecessary roughness, you do not need to tackle someone you got wrapped up by basically body slamming him, those types of tackles have been flagged before.

2 minutes ago, Yehoodi said:

I saw that play and was initially disappointed, but after thinking about it I think that the NFL got it right.  For me the tackle was done in that manner was unnecessary 

Instead of just twirling him around and going to the ground with the running back, the dline man pick up Elliot (you can also see in the replay that he lifts his left leg up underneath Elliot to get better leverage for the lift) and dropped him to the ground.  

I think the refs thought that his forward progress was stopped as the whistle blew as he was throwing Elliot to the ground.  Thus giving them the legal means to say the action was after the play was over

Either way for me it could of been unnecessary roughness, you do not need to tackle someone you got wrapped up by basically body slamming him, those types of tackles have been flagged before.

Zeke came down on the d lineman.  He didn't get slammed into the turf.  

4 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Zeke came down on the d lineman.  He didn't get slammed into the turf.  

Short answer.  Jvan, I do not directly disagree with you, but am happy if the NFL has a basically zero tolerance on lifting a player before going to the ground.  No it was not a violent slam but they did land side by side, and it is best to be safe than sorry in rules policies imo so the next time no injury.  

Long answer (sorry had a long answer)

Zeke was lifted in the air and taken to the ground.  He did not land on top of the Dline, they both landed side by side on the ground.  There was NO need to lift Zeke in the air, and take him to the ground, no need imo. 

The same thing happened in the Denver- NE game where Ward (or Harris, i forget) took down Edelman and got a penalty on the play.

If a player does not like it, don't pick up the player and take him to the ground.  Next time just tackle the player. One can tackle another without lifting them in the air, it happens like 99% of the time in the sport.   Nearly everything time when two players are entangled and for the most part stationary and one lifts the other and goes to the ground there is a flag. 

And I not too worried about getting into layers of what "slamming" is, as it is in the eyes of the beholder what "slamming" is, and in the ref's mind lifting the player in the air and taking him to the ground was unnecessary.   

Was it a violent bone crushing slam, no, but it was not necessary in the act of tackling Elliot, Zeke was wrapped up and was not going anywhere and basically giving himself up and at point let the ref call the whistle or go to the ground with Zeke.

Jvan, I understand where you are all coming from and from one angle do not directly disagree with you.  But at the same time i am fully comfortable with the sport having a prohibition against lifting folks and going to the ground with them.  Indeed, in a similar sport, rugby, one can not lift a person past horizontal (that is, when tackling them, you can not lift there legs above their upper torso) when going to the ground even if you drop them like a feather as the penalty happened by the mere act of lifting past horizontal.   So i am cool if the NFL adopts such a rule. 

I'm kind of getting sick of seeing how the whistles have worked out this year.  Seems to me like like running backs from good teams or that have reputations as elite runners get an insane amount of time to have the pile pushed in their favor before a whistle is blown to stop forward progress. Zeke and Bell are the worst with this.