Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Keith Butler Steelers Linebacker Coach New Dc./butler Stays In Pitts (Merge)

Balzer40

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That awesome defense that lost to Houston and their third string rookie QB in the playoffs? Plus they were #1 in yards allowed but 7th in the AER, a much more accurate rating system than yards allowed.

But let's say for a minute that the 5 or 6 games in which the LBers palyed poorly was just a fluke, then aren't you, if effect, saying that Butler just rode the coattails of all the talent he had at the LB position and with that talent on the field and LeBeau as the DC my grandmother could have coached the LBers just as well?

Debbie Downer strikes again.

No one knows anything at this point, and all coaches and teams have bad games. If an unstoppable d didn't have a bad game, the ravens never would have lost games. Someone game planned and like the other poster said, they didn't think Tebow could throw on them and stacked the box against the leagues top rushing team. And it was Lebeaus stubbornness, not Butler that cost the game. They played too close, and got burnt.

Yes I am serious, watch the play on nfl.com, the LB dropped into his zone, he didn't drop deep enough and that is why Tebow was able to throw it in there. The LB tries to jump and bat it and if he had been two yards deeper he would have been able to. Like I said... inconsistent.

Time to switch to de-caf i think.

I really dont see how any of that is funny. Coffeedrinker is simply speaking his opinion..

As I believe everyone else is theirs. Fans are passionate, there's no doubt Coffees as much a fan as anyone here, but no one has to agree. I think everyone just feels its a little harsh to judge an lb coach when he doesn't dictate gameplay and scheming. Especially when people who know say he's that good.

your blaming the lbers on one play which was because they werent deep enough. i watched that game too and what i saw was the defense giving pretty much nothing to the broncos on the ground. the steelers game plan was to stop tebow from running and thats what they did. tebow burned the secondary not the lbers.

Nope, but they are not totally blameless on that one play either, nor for the whole game. The Pats' LBers played Tebow a lot better than the Steelers' lbers

the game plan was to stop the run. the steelers basically told tebow try to beat us with your arm and he did.

So, you think the Steelers were okay with the loss because they didn't think Tebow could beat him with his arm?

Time to switch to de-caf i think.

Wow, your originality is astounding. Perhaps you need to switch to cotton briefs.

Let's hire Coffeedrinker for DC. (just bustin chops;))

I appreciate the thought but I've always been an oline coach and offensive coordinator.

Nope, but they are not totally blameless on that one play either, nor for the whole game. The Pats' LBers played Tebow a lot better than the Steelers' lbers

So, you think the Steelers were okay with the loss because they didn't think Tebow could beat him with his arm?

pats had film and knew they couldnt do the same thing the steelers did. of course not, but i doubt the steelers thought they would get killed by tebow's arm.

And you suppose the lbers never dropped back into coverage at all? Giving tebow time to burn the secondary.

7 of Tebows completions were to WR's. The TE did have 2 catches, one of which was for 40 yards.. 1 completion to a RB. So it would seem to me the secondary was to blame for the majority of the plays down field.. The D line and LB's botteled up the leagues number 1 rushng offense all day..

I do apologize for some of the arguing going on here. Yes I do understand now the steelers LB job was to bottle up the run, which they did quite well. But Im pretty sure they were asked to blitz a few times when tebow was passing, though they got no pressure at all. This isnt a thread about the pitt broncos game. Its about our probably new DC. And the praise some give to their LBers.

Are we to just say butler is not any good because a playoff team made a play?Sometimes you have to give credit to the other team.

I, personally, do not think he is good or bad yet. I'm just not ready to crown the Colts D as being improved (like many on this thread) just because they hired the Steelers DC.

OK, I don't see the problem here. Over the course of the man's tenure in Pittsburgh they had a top 3 scoring defense 6 of 8 seasons. They won 2 championships because of the defense and nearly won a third. The linebackers have always been a huge part of that success. He took an undrafted free agent and turned him into the Defensive Player of the Year.

I do apologize for some of the arguing going on here. Yes I do understand now the steelers LB job was to bottle up the run, which they did quite well. But Im pretty sure they were asked to blitz a few times when tebow was passing, though they got no pressure at all. This isnt a thread about the pitt broncos game. Its about our probably new DC. And the praise some give to their LBers.

Plays are called by a d coordinator, want to discuss all their dominance during this guys history? If not, then let's calm down n that game they got caught napping, which is highly I believe due to an old mans, while he's an awesome old man lol. Stubbornness and people reviewing his tape.

Clearly the Colts are moving the direction of a 34 D. With that said, i wonder how Dwight Freeney is going to factor in the new defensive plans. He is 6-1 and 270 so he is very small to a be a defensive end in a 34D. I just do not see him becoming an outside linebacker. he is a pro bowl player who could yield some draft picks which could be used on defensive players who fit the 34D.

Clearly the Colts are moving the direction of a 34 D. With that said, i wonder how Dwight Freeney is going to factor in the new defensive plans. He is 6-1 and 270 so he is very small to a be a defensive end in a 34D. I just do not see him becoming an outside linebacker. he is a pro bowl player who could yield some draft picks which could be used on defensive players who fit the 34D.

I wonder if dwight is gone as well,could get some decent picks and rebuild this d towards the 3-4.

I think Freeny can learn to excell whatever type of defense he is playing. I may be wrong but I think Pagano said that he would try and use what he had and not try and put square pegs into round holes. This could mean "I'm gonna can whoever doesn't fit" or it could mean "I'm gonna work with what I have to develope the best D that I can"......I do recall him stating that if Wade can turn houston into a 34d without an offseason then he thought he could do something similar here.

robert mathis might be able to make the move to linebacker but he is a free agent. then again who wants a 6-2 235 pound defensive end.

If Mathis becomes a free agent, he will be signed by Minnesota almost immediately. They need a compliment to Allen and Mathis would give them that. Plus he has connections with Frazier and their new DC.

Yet another GREAT hire for the Colts!!! Now I expect them to draft 3-4 players on D and that starts with a good NT. Moala, Anderson, and Nevis could possibly all play DE in a 3-4, and Mathis and Freeney will be moved to LB. I think we may even have too many pass rushers now that we have Freeney, Mathis, Wheeler, and Hughes at LB and should all be able to get to the QB under Butler's tutorlage.

Yet another GREAT hire for the Colts!!! Now I expect them to draft 3-4 players on D and that starts with a good NT. Moala, Anderson, and Nevis could possibly all play DE in a 3-4, and Mathis and Freeney will be moved to LB. I think we may even have too many pass rushers now that we have Freeney, Mathis, Wheeler, and Hughes at LB and should all be able to get to the QB under Butler's tutorlage.

Could a possible trade of one of those pass rusher happen? We need more help in the secondary than the LBs so it may be a wise decision to get more picks to address the secondary with the trade of Freeney/Mathis.

I, personally, do not think he is good or bad yet. I'm just not ready to crown the Colts D as being improved (like many on this thread) just because they hired the Steelers DC.

I think this is the most honest position to take. Excitement is fine, but the D hasn't done anything yet. I'm personally happy with the signing, but I don't think we've actually seen what Butler or Pagano are going to do.

Me either.

But you gotta start somewhere.

And this hire certainly looks better than the last few DC we've had.

Especially since apparently Pitt was grooming him to take over for on of the best DC of all time.

Completely agree with you. We still have other pass rushers in Mathis, Hughes, and Wheeler at LB.

@coltsrule91 And you suppose the lbers never dropped back into coverage at all? Giving tebow time to burn the secondary.

the lbers did what they were suppose to do and that was stop tebow and the rbs for being effective on the ground.