Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Practice 10-7-2016

TKnight24

8 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

This is a problem I've noticed.  We supposedly have fast receivers that should be able to get separation, but nobody seems to get open.  Part of it is Luck running for his life against top-tier defenses we've played so far and last week's O-line woes, but still... if we truly have elite receivers, they should be getting some big plays.

Eventually.

Hopefully.

If we don't get any big plays this week, there's really no excuse left.

They are going to activate Jones, right? I mean, he's healthy. I don't understand why they would wait.

@Catloaf I think the lack of big plays are a result of bad offensive scheme. If Chud would run some short slants, digs, etc. to TY and PD, they could get some YAC and take pressure off of the OL and Luck. That would help open up the big plays. As it currently stands, IMO, the scheme is almost too vertical and Luck can't hit them or doesn't see them when the do break open because he's dodging all the trash in the pocket. 

1 minute ago, Larry Horseman said:

They are going to activate Jones, right? I mean, he's healthy. I don't understand why they would wait.

@Catloaf I think the lack of big plays are a result of bad offensive scheme. If Chud would run some short slants, digs, etc. to TY and PD, they could get some YAC and take pressure off of the OL and Luck. That would help open up the big plays. As it currently stands, IMO, the scheme is almost too vertical and Luck can't hit them or doesn't see them when the do break open because he's dodging all the trash in the pocket. 

Re: Jones, they're probably waiting until the practice week is over to activate Jones so he isn't obligated to speak to the media, that's my best guess. The Patriots are doing the same with Brady right now.

As far as the offense goes, I agree. I thought we were going to see quicker, shorter routes in an effort to get the ball out of Luck's hands quicker. So far, it's just been more of the same of what we saw last year. 5 or 7 step drops, with WRs streaking down the field and Luck just chucking up 50/50 balls hoping one of them makes a play.

5 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Re: Jones, they're probably waiting until the practice week is over to activate Jones so he isn't obligated to speak to the media, that's my best guess. The Patriots are doing the same with Brady right now.

As far as the offense goes, I agree. I thought we were going to see quicker, shorter routes in an effort to get the ball out of Luck's hands quicker. So far, it's just been more of the same of what we saw last year. 5 or 7 step drops, with WRs streaking down the field and Luck just chucking up 50/50 balls hoping one of them makes a play.

That makes sense with Jones. It's a long shot but he could bring some potential pass rush so I hope they throw him out there.

Yep, the similarities of Chud's offense to Pep's is disappointing--pound the ground game and run vertical routes until we are down big. Also, where are the moving pockets and boots? It's almost like they are trying to intentionally hold Andrew back. 

19 minutes ago, Catloaf said:

This is a problem I've noticed.  We supposedly have fast receivers that should be able to get separation, but nobody seems to get open.  Part of it is Luck running for his life against top-tier defenses we've played so far and last week's O-line woes, but still... if we truly have elite receivers, they should be getting some big plays.

Eventually.

Hopefully.

I agree if they are so fast why cant they get open? do they just have straight line speed? cant they change direction with speed?

2 minutes ago, Larry Horseman said:

That makes sense with Jones. It's a long shot but he could bring some potential pass rush so I hope they throw him out there.

Yep, the similarities of Chud's offense to Pep's is disappointing--pound the ground game and run vertical routes until we are down big. Also, where are the moving pockets and boots? It's almost like they are trying to intentionally hold Andrew back. 

The playbook seems pretty small to me right now too. Out of all the starting QBs in the league with 4+ years under their belt, Luck hands down has the shortest leash for sure. Turn the kid loose. The worse that could happen is we lose, which is already the case for the first 3 out of 4 games, so what's the problem? I realize it's not the '05 Manning-led Colts offense, but they never will be if the coaches don't allow it.

We dont have the big plays because teams are just using 4 dudes to rush us and keeping the safeties way back(Also why our run game looks decent). They know that at least one of our receivers is running a go route and the other one/two have two guys covering them. We dont run short routes. 

Have to get the short game going to blow the top off the defense and get the bigun plays. 

22 minutes ago, Larry Horseman said:

I agree, I would like to see some catch and run like welker did with the pats

2 hours ago, Catloaf said:

Eventually.

Hopefully.

I think we would have more big plays if Moncrief wasn't hurt. Thats definitely hurt the offense a bit. Dwayne Allens play hasn't helped the cause either.

2 hours ago, Larry Horseman said:

Mike Chappell on twitter said he doesn't think Jones will be active this weekend and said Pagano said they didn't want to just throw him out there.

21 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

It might be that he is simply a speed only guy with age on his body. Historically, those types have always broken down first. Maybe he should find some of the same cream big Papi has used in baseball to increase his time in the NFL because I would honestly sit him for his play this season if not an outright cut when I needed a roster spot. Cruelty of sports I suppose. 

20 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I just had an epiphany: 

One of the reasons our O-Line sucks, is because they are going up against our defense during practice. Then come game time, they go against actual real talent and get destroyed. 

Image result for i'm so smart gif

I've often wondered if this wasn't a symptom of our offensive woes. The offense can do this or that in practice and so we falsely believe the plan is solid only to get into a real game with talented defenses and that plan is shown to be a sham. I've felt this way for several years, not just under the Luck era. 

19 hours ago, Larry Horseman said:

Well, OK...whatever I guess. As if him getting some limited snaps would be a bad thing. 

Yes this excuse is stupid. He says he is in great shape, he knows the defense he has had the week to practice with the team. Why why why wait?? Pagano is an * and way too soft of a coach to play at this level. I just can't imagine a way that Pagano stays at HC after the season with the bad decisions he makes each game. Wow did this guy bomb as a HC. 

21 hours ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

We dont have the big plays because teams are just using 4 dudes to rush us and keeping the safeties way back(Also why our run game looks decent). They know that at least one of our receivers is running a go route and the other one/two have two guys covering them. We dont run short routes. 

Have to get the short game going to blow the top off the defense and get the bigun plays. 

I agree