Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2017 Colts draft needs

I don't think there is any question that this team needs playmakers on defense. I for one think that in this draft Indy should come out with at least 2 quality OLBs and CBs. Also a young talented RB would help dramatically. 

Where do you see the Colts picking and who are some players you want them to target? I know this is a very early analysis of things but just give an educated guess on who might be available.

As of now I personally want OLB Charles Harris round 1. Then round 2 go after the best CB available. 

I don't have names....   but I have positions that I want to target.....      

R1           OLB

R2           RB or CB          Need a Day 2 RB and a Day 2 CB.   I'll take either order                                                                                               but prefer a 2nd RB here.

R3           CB or RB

R4         OLB and ILB       (we'll have two picks for the loss of Fleener)

R5             S

R6            RB                   Want a 2nd RB from this class.   Someone will fall.

R7           WR or TE

2 OLB (one rush and one edge), RB, CB, ILB, DE, FS, RT. Obviously there are 8 here. We need to hit a couple homeruns in FA. There's too much money on the table this offseason to not get value out of a veteran somewhere.

Don't care what order the rest come in. Just get the best players you can that will contribute.

This is my way too early draft based on need. By the end of the college football season this will be picked apart as players will ascend or descend, but this draft board is worked by need, and player value at THIS time in college football.

Round 1: Derek Barnett, OLB, Tennessee;

Alt. Pick: Carl Lawson, OLB, Auburn

Round 2: Desmond King, CB, Iowa;

Alt. Pick: Cordrea Tankersley, CB, Clemson

Round 3: Royce Freeman, RB, Oregon; I put him in the 3rd due to him falling because of other RB talent.

Alt. Pick: Elijah Hood, RB, North Carolina

Round 4: Jourdan Lewis, CB, Michigan;

Alt. Pick: Kendall Beckwith, ILB, LSU

Round 4(comp): Steven Taylor, OLB, Houston;

Alt. Pick: Da'Shawn Hand, DE, Alabama

Round 5: Taco Charlton, DT, Michigan; 

Alt. Pick: Tony Connor, SS, Ole Miss

Round 6: Isaiah Ford, WR, Virginia Tech

Alt. Pick: Shock Linwood, RB, Baylor

Round 7: Kylie Fitts, OLB, Utah;

Alt. Pick: William Likely III, CB, Maryland

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't have names....   but I have positions that I want to target.....      

R1           OLB

R2           RB or CB          Need a Day 2 RB and a Day 2 CB.   I'll take either order                                                                                               but prefer a 2nd RB here.

R3           CB or RB

R4         OLB and ILB       (we'll have two picks for the loss of Fleener)

R5             S

R6            RB                   Want a 2nd RB from this class.   Someone will fall.

R7           WR or TE

The only thing I would change is the 5th rounder. I think with Geathers and Green we are okay at safety, if healthy of course. CB is a much bigger issue outside of Davis, who occasionally has injuries of his own. I would change the 5th to another CB.

And the ILB needs to be a COVER LB. Indy is so lacking there.

6 hours ago, SDakColts said:

This is my way too early draft based on need. By the end of the college football season this will be picked apart as players will ascend or descend, but this draft board is worked by need, and player value at THIS time in college football.

Round 3: Royce Freeman, RB, Oregon; I put him in the 3rd due to him falling because of other RB talent.

I'd be thrilled with either Freeman or Hood in the 3rd round.     I'd fear neither will fall to us.

I'm surprised you think Da'Shawn Hand falls to the 4th.     Alabama players don't fall that far very often.

I'm a little surprised you think King falls to us in the 2nd.    Our pick is likely out of the top-50, and I'm not sure King falls that far?       Also,  I think he's closer to 5'10" (maybe shorter?)....     so I'm not sure he fits the Colts ideal profile?       Just thinking out loud.

Appreciate you doing the homework to produce all these names.     The effort alone is always very much appreciated.

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'd be thrilled with either Freeman or Hood in the 3rd round.     I'd fear neither will fall to us.

I'm surprised you think Da'Shawn Hand falls to the 4th.     Alabama players don't fall that far very often.

I'm a little surprised you think King falls to us in the 2nd.    Our pick is likely out of the top-50, and I'm not sure King falls that far?       Also,  I think he's closer to 5'10" (maybe shorter?)....     so I'm not sure he fits the Colts ideal profile?       Just thinking out loud.

Appreciate you doing the homework to produce all these names.     The effort alone is always very much appreciated.

Like I said this is all just to throw a few names out there. If you look up player value on cbssports it gives you a basis to lay out a way too early mock draft. That is the tool I used to put it together quickly with some players I like. I enjoy hearing feedback, and opinions of others on the listed players. I also appreciate hearing suggestions of others players to consider.

I think Hood should most likely still be around in the 3rd, now Freeman it is up in the air it really depends on how fast the other top backs come off the board. He could very well be gone as early as the late 1st.

Hand again is rated as a 4th at the moment. Chances are like you said he ascends and most likely becomes a 2nd. Just remember the Alabama D-Linemen that were supposed to go in the 1st round last year ended up falling to the 2nd. So it is kind of up in the air where Bama players land.

King is rated as a 2nd rounder I personally think he is a bottom of the 1st caliber of player. I think Tankersley is a more realistic option and he is a taller (6' 1") lengthier press man corner which we are looking for. He also did a fantastic job versus some very shifty Auburn receivers during the 1st game of the year.

Another player that popped on tape to me today was Anthony Walker Jr., ILB, Northwestern. I haven't seen him play this year, but I watched last years tape of him vs. Stanford. He was awesome in zone coverage with great insticts (almost two picks), and man coverage against McCaffery which is not an easy task. Plus he is a very good blitzer, and is active in the run game. He is beginning to become a favorite of mine. I could see him being a great pick in the 2nd.

5 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

How do you figure the team will finish 9-7? They suck this year again. I I have them finishing 3-13 and draft a blue chip linebacker in the likes of Myles Garrett or L Fournette.

3-13 though? That would surprise me. 

If we could land a Garrett or Fournette, though, 2017 would probably be really exciting. 

I'm not saying the Colts should throw this year away.  They'll still try to compete with the Big Boys, but they're not talented enough with their aging defense,  new DC who is feeling team's chemistry, being his first time as DC doesn't help either.  Should have gotten an establish DC instead of a hand pick by Pagano.  I don't have any confidence in Pags ability to coach anymore.  Need some fresh set of eyes that can coach and call time outs properly at the correct moment.  Pags/Grigs = Unemployment Line.

1 hour ago, gacoop1 said:

I'm not saying the Colts should throw this year away.  They'll still try to compete with the Big Boys, but they're not talented enough with their aging defense,  new DC who is feeling team's chemistry, being his first time as DC doesn't help either.  Should have gotten an establish DC instead of a hand pick by Pagano.  I don't have any confidence in Pags ability to coach anymore.  Need some fresh set of eyes that can coach and call time outs properly at the correct moment.  Pags/Grigs = Unemployment Line.

I don't know why you think this?       There's no reason to think this ---  none.     Seriously.     Literally,  none.

He's coming off what might be his greatest coaching job.    Going 8-8 without Luck for 9 games after starting the season going 0-2.     And we had to use our 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th string QB's.      It was one of the best coaching jobs of anyone in the NFL last year.      Seriously.   

The problems we have now are injury related.     We're one of the more badly injured teams in the NFL.   When your roster is average to begin with,  and then gets hit hard by injuries,    coaching becomes much more difficult.

Nagano may not be a great coach,   but he's proven he's a good coach.     I'm sorry you don't see that.

20 hours ago, SDakColts said:

I seriously doubt Desmond King falls into the 2nd round.  

I'm an Iowa fan and thus far after 2 games I don't think he's been thrown at a single time.  Plus he has return ability.

4 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I seriously doubt Desmond King falls into the 2nd round.  

I'm an Iowa fan and thus far after 2 games I don't think he's been thrown at a single time.  Plus he has return ability.

Like I said this all preliminary. If you look up his draft stock right now he is rated as a 2nd rounder on CBSsports which is what I used for a baseline for this mock. I agree with you I believe he is a first round talent. I see him falling somewhere in the bottom of the 1st. I just threw this mock together to throw some names out.

On September 12, 2016 at 11:17 PM, gacoop1 said:

This is a thread about draft needs. As far as I know head coaches and defensive coordinators can't be drafted. Do we have to turn every topic into a debate about Pagano, our coaches, or our GM?

We can't keep having the same issues year after year and refuse to address them in the draft. I'm glad to see that we finally ended that with the offensive line, but by God we aren't gonna go anywhere until we invest a lot more in that defense than what we've done already. That means no early picks to Runningbacks, guys. We can already score 30+ like that every game, and even though I love ground and pound teams, we can't forget they're able to do that because of a stout defense on the other side.

So with that in mind, I like Carl Lawson a lot. On tape, no other 1st round pass rusher in next year's draft (Garrett aside) has the kind of talent, work ethic, consistency, and production as this guy. And then I'm assuming the next at least two picks are on defense (ideally an ILB w/Morrison) and a Vontae clone. But a space eating nose tackle to spell Parry would also be nice.

1 hour ago, Indi Warrior said:

We can't keep having the same issues year after year and refuse to address them in the draft. I'm glad to see that we finally ended that with the offensive line, but by God we aren't gonna go anywhere until we invest a lot more in that defense than what we've done already. That means no early picks to Runningbacks, guys. We can already score 30+ like that every game, and even though I love ground and pound teams, we can't forget they're able to do that because of a stout defense on the other side.

So with that in mind, I like Carl Lawson a lot. On tape, no other 1st round pass rusher in next year's draft (Garrett aside) has the kind of talent, work ethic, consistency, and production as this guy. And then I'm assuming the next at least two picks are on defense (ideally an ILB w/Morrison) and a Vontae clone. But a space eating nose tackle to spell Parry would also be nice.

I mostly agree with you but if a RB like Cook is there I'm taking him every time. Especially over a lesser player like Lawson. 

Carl Lawson is an awesome player but his health is a major issue. I don't think he'll be drafted Round 1 for that reason. Maybe take a look at Charles Harris out of Missouri. 

On 9/12/2016 at 1:46 PM, SDakColts said:

Barnett is a 43 end all day, you're 2nd and 3rd rd picks are a round too late, and I don't even know what to say about Lewis in the 4th.

3 hours ago, wig said:

Barnett is a 43 end all day, you're 2nd and 3rd rd picks are a round too late, and I don't even know what to say about Lewis in the 4th.

You may be right on all that you point out....

Then again,  it's mid-September and we're all grasping for names right now.

And the poster DID list alternate names now, so it's not like we married to any of this.

None of this will mean much until he season plays out and it's January and we have a much better idea of where guys stack up.        And even then,  things will change many times before we reach April.

That said....   the OP did say he used CBS Sports early list, and there's the issue,  not the poster.        In the early months,  CBS Sports is notoriously poor.    They get better when the calendar changes in January and gets even better as we get closer to the draft.      That's when they're good.

4 hours ago, wig said:

49 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You may be right on all that you point out....

Then again,  it's mid-September and we're all grasping for names right now.

And the poster DID list alternate names now, so it's not like we married to any of this.

None of this will mean much until he season plays out and it's January and we have a much better idea of where guys stack up.        And even then,  things will change many times before we reach April.

That said....   the OP did say he used CBS Sports early list, and there's the issue,  not the poster.        In the early months,  CBS Sports is notoriously poor.    They get better when the calendar changes in January and gets even better as we get closer to the draft.      That's when they're good.

Exactly what NCF said.

I also did state later on in this tread that this is a way too early mock draft.

To be honest I never comment much on player value, and mocks until much closer to the draft as like NCF said so much changes between now and the draft. I deviated this year, and threw some names out for the sake of discussion. Trust me this is not my final mock there is going to be a lot of ascending and descending as the season continues.

I appreciate everyone's opinion, and suggestions on players they like at certain points of the draft. It is nice to compare my thoughts on a player against others. Sometimes posters here on the forum recognize different traits both pros or cons that I didn't pick up on right away.

The problem you have with my quickly pieced together mock is rounds 1-4 correct? Who would you suggest replace the players accordingly?

5 hours ago, SDakColts said:

Exactly what NCF said.

I also did state later on in this tread that this is a way too early mock draft.

To be honest I never comment much on player value, and mocks until much closer to the draft as like NCF said so much changes between now and the draft. I deviated this year, and threw some names out for the sake of discussion. Trust me this is not my final mock there is going to be a lot of ascending and descending as the season continues.

I appreciate everyone's opinion, and suggestions on players they like at certain points of the draft. It is nice to compare my thoughts on a player against others. Sometimes posters here on the forum recognize different traits both pros or cons that I didn't pick up on right away.

The problem you have with my quickly pieced together mock is rounds 1-4 correct? Who would you suggest replace the players accordingly?

Fair enough.

It's incredibly hard prognosticating anything past the 2nd round at this point, IMO, but my dream scenario at this juncture is Devonte Fields in rd. 1 and Freeman in rd. 2.

29 minutes ago, wig said:

Fair enough.

It's incredibly hard prognosticating anything past the 2nd round at this point, IMO, but my dream scenario at this juncture is Devonte Fields in rd. 1 and Freeman in rd. 2.

Devonte Fields is talented but inconsistent and has off the field issues. I don't see him as a 1st Rounder. He'll probably follow the draft path Noah Spence took. 

10 hours ago, SP_21 said:

Devonte Fields is talented but inconsistent and has off the field issues. I don't see him as a 1st Rounder. He'll probably follow the draft path Noah Spence took. 

If he has a terrible combine like Spence, sure. 

13 hours ago, wig said:

Fair enough.

I haven't watched Fields this year yet so I can't comment based on this season. I know he is a very talented player, but he is a bit too inconsistent IMO to be regarded as a 1st rounder at the moment. If he puts a solid season on tape this year though, and preforms well at the combine then yes he might jump his draft stock to the 1st round.

I couldn't agree more on Freeman in the 2nd round I am a big fan of his.

9 hours ago, SDakColts said:

I haven't watched Fields this year yet so I can't comment based on this season. I know he is a very talented player, but he is a bit too inconsistent IMO to be regarded as a 1st rounder at the moment. If he puts a solid season on tape this year though, and preforms well at the combine then yes he might jump his draft stock to the 1st round.

I couldn't agree more on Freeman in the 2nd round I am a big fan of his.

Today will be his first real test of the year. Definitely looking forward to it. 

On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 3:13 PM, BProland85 said:

I don't think there is any question that this team needs playmakers on defense. I for one think that in this draft Indy should come out with at least 2 quality OLBs and CBs. Also a young talented RB would help dramatically. 

Where do you see the Colts picking and who are some players you want them to target? I know this is a very early analysis of things but just give an educated guess on who might be available.

As of now I personally want OLB Charles Harris round 1. Then round 2 go after the best CB available. 

I see us drafting in the top 10. This draft needs to be on the defensive side of the ball...period. We do need a back though and the draft is deep at running back. Fournette, Cook and Chubb are round 1 material. We need to get one of them. If that's the first round, so be it. IMO

1 hour ago, Mr_486lo said:

I see us drafting in the top 10. This draft needs to be on the defensive side of the ball...period. We do need a back though and the draft is deep at running back. Fournette, Cook and Chubb are round 1 material. We need to get one of them. If that's the first round, so be it. IMO

Then why take a RB?  In the top 10 no less.

Lets see here draft needs. Pass rush, ILB, pass rush, RB, Pass rush, CB, Pass rush, pass rush.

We need to find a dominant EDGE rusher, but we also have FA. We need to find an ILB (A beast) to replace DQ) We can find an ILB in the 2nd or 3rd to come in and have a major impact. We need a RB probably in the 2nd. We should be able to get a 1st round talent in the 2nd as loaded as this class will be for RB's. Gotta have a good CB to pair with Davis, and after that hopefully just depth at certain positions.

And we're not going 3-13. That's stupid.

1 hour ago, Mr_486lo said:

Because we desperately need one. And if we can pull the trigger on one of these 3 in the first round...why not? Considering previous drafts where we draft garbage rbs.

Because RB is not a important position.  The colts are much more desperate for defensive playmakers.

47 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Because RB is not a important position.  The colts are much more desperate for defensive playmakers.

RB is a very important position but they have short life span in the NFL so they aren't valued as much. That said, I wouldn't pass on a dynamic player like Cook for a lesser defensive player. That's a terrible strategy. 

24 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

RB is a very important position but they have short life span in the NFL so they aren't valued as much. That said, I wouldn't pass on a dynamic player like Cook for a lesser defensive player. That's a terrible strategy. 

It's because they can be replaced easier than other positions and yes, they do have a short life span.

Factoring in positional value is not a terrible strategy.

2 hours ago, BOTT said:

It's because they can be replaced easier than other positions and yes, they do have a short life span.

Factoring in positional value is not a terrible strategy.

Taking a lesser player is always the wrong strategy 

6 hours ago, BOTT said:

Not an important position??? Please look at our rbs and reevaluate that comment. We're about to play the Broncos. But running back is not an important position...I wouldn't be surprised if they don't pass the ball at all. Look what Gurley did as a rookie on a team where he's their entire offense...and no one can stop him. Now picture Cook, Chubb or Fournette in our offense....