Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training camp day one thread

RockThatBlue

On Wednesday, Smith had a pair of pass breakups and solid coverage in the secondary, displaying the ball skills that attracted Pagano to him coming out of Florida Atlantic last year. Pagano was among the biggest proponents for selecting Smith in the third round, but the Colts have gotten no return on the pick so far. Wednesday suggested that might change.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2016/07/27/colts-observations-hot-first-day-practice/87529820/

I'd posted the Stampedeblue version of this earlier, but this one is from the Indystar.  I'm excited to see this young fella show us what he's got.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

On Wednesday, Smith had a pair of pass breakups and solid coverage in the secondary, displaying the ball skills that attracted Pagano to him coming out of Florida Atlantic last year. Pagano was among the biggest proponents for selecting Smith in the third round, but the Colts have gotten no return on the pick so far. Wednesday suggested that might change.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2016/07/27/colts-observations-hot-first-day-practice/87529820/

I'd posted the Stampedeblue version of this earlier, but this one is from the Indystar.  I'm excited to see this young fella show us what he's got.

I was bullish on Smith when we drafted him, so I hope I can eat crow here. It looks like he may of figured it out, which is normal for a CB to figure it out in his 2nd year of his career.

17 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Luck had a rough day. 17-30 and 2 picks (one by Patrick Robinson)

Inb4peopleoverreactoverabadpractice

Quarterback stats during training camp...wow, I finally found something more worthless than preseason power rankings and day after draft, draft grades.

Maybe we should also count how many times the LB touched the running back to indicate a tackle.

This is not a knock on your RockThatBlue, I understand you are just reporting something you read.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yes in 2007, I played the pokemon tcg (trading card game) and won the colorado state championship in 15+ age division. Actually played for 7 years and won multiple city championships as well, but state was bigger.

Ahh Pokemon TCG, I played a little back in my day, but by the time it came out I was already too heavily invested in MTG, and it didn't make sense to invest in another expensive TCG. Still got some cards and a deck somewhere.

19 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I was bullish on Smith when we drafted him, so I hope I can eat crow here. It looks like he may of figured it out, which is normal for a CB to figure it out in his 2nd year of his career.

Yeah I was kind of wanting somebody like Darby or Demarious Randall during that draft, but Smith does have talent and he's scrappy amongst other things.  I don't have any doubts he can play the nickel cornerback at a high level.  Has the speed to play outside as well.  Athleticism is good and the kid wants to be great so we'll see..  He was in the weight room during the offseason.  I noticed he's gotten bigger.

10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Today he takes it back. 3 tds to Hilton, Dorsett and Moncrief each with a td to Constanzo for fun.

Then we'll have a rash of complaints about how bad the secondary looks.

It's camp people, stats are meaningless.

1 minute ago, SilentHill said:

Ahh Pokemon TCG, I played a little back in my day, but by the time it came out I was already too heavily invested in MTG, and it didn't make sense to invest in another expensive TCG. Still got some cards and a deck somewhere.

I was in MTG when Invasion was out and played a little while competitively. Can't even remember what I used back then, think it was a red damage deck. MTG is very expensive as you have to pay for every tourney and it costs a lot to build a deck with mostly rare cards. Pokemon is a lot cheaper as most of the energies and trainers are cheap to buy and the basic pokemon are also common for the most part. Also only have to pay once a month. MTG you can obviously win money but there is a lot more cheating that happens as well. I got back into it around the time planeswalkers came out, but it got annoying when top players were buying out the cards at the store and running crazy decks every week i couldn't outplay with my income at the time. 

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I was in MTG when Invasion was out and played a little while competitively. Can't even remember what I used back then, think it was a red damage deck. MTG is very expensive as you have to pay for every tourney and it costs a lot to build a deck with mostly rare cards. Pokemon is a lot cheaper as most of the energies and trainers are cheap to buy and the basic pokemon are also common for the most part. Also only have to pay once a month. MTG you can obviously win money but there is a lot more cheating that happens as well. I got back into it around the time planeswalkers came out, but it got annoying when top players were buying out the cards at the store and running crazy decks every week i couldn't outplay with my income at the time. 

It's crazy. I played from Ice Age until Apocalypse. I stopped because they ramped up their set releases to what seemed like only a few months apart, when previously there were 1 to 2 sets released per year.

It kinda payed off though, I threw all my cards in the closet and now they are ridiculously expensive, I have Lotus, and moxes and and that good stuff lol.

9 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Quarterback stats during training camp...wow, I finally found something more worthless than preseason power rankings and day after draft, draft grades.

Maybe we should also count how many times the LB touched the running back to indicate a tackle.

This is not a knock on your RockThatBlue, I understand you are just reporting something you read.

I like the updates but you are like me, it means nothing regarding the Regular Season. I even made a sarcastic statement that Andrew was making the Defense feel good. Pre-season doesn't mean anything either IMO. I still appreciate when people Post Threads like this. It kills time to talk about stuff until the season starts and gives us an idea how healthy players are.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I like the updates but you are like me, it means nothing regarding the Regular Season. I even made a sarcastic statement that Andrew was making the Defense feel good. Pre-season doesn't mean anything either IMO. I still appreciate when people Post Threads like this. It kills time to talk about stuff until the season starts and gives us an idea how healthy players are.

I like the updates, it was just the stats.

8 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Then we'll have a rash of complaints about how bad the secondary looks.

It's camp people, stats are meaningless.

Unfortunately when Luck is repeating the same habits of overthrowing receivers that he has over the past 4 years, it's not meaningless. It's not a coincidence or something that'll just go away next practice, it's a terrible habit that he has been unable to fix and needs to practice now. It looks like he hasn't worked on it this offseason at all. What's going to happen when he's under pressure and has to throw accurately in split-second situations?

4 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

It's crazy. I played from Ice Age until Apocalypse. I stopped because they ramped up their set releases to what seemed like only a few months apart, when previously there were 1 to 2 sets released per year.

It kinda payed off though, I threw all my cards in the closet and now they are ridiculously expensive, I have Lotus, and moxes and and that good stuff lol.

Very nice, a guy used a crazy deck with 3 black lotuses and some other rare cards against me in my first magic tourney, didn't know what the card did and it destroyed me. Turned out, the guy was a world champ visiting Colorado at the time. They are definitely expensive now, especially unopened booster packs!

25 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's very consistent with what I've personally seen from him and makes me even more worried that he's performing the same patterns in his throwing motions. Like I said, I don't think he's going to fix what's wrong, and Chud needs to adapt a short to medium pass dink and dunk strategy to him. Use Hilton, Dorsett and Moncrief with a ton of slant routes and let them use their speed to burn opposing CB's. We obviously can't rely on the deep ball.

He has only one motion and he throws it as consistently over the top (high release point) as any QB i have ever seen.
 The guy doesn`t adjust his motion to fit the ball accurately to his receivers in the routes 15 yards and in like all great QB`s do at times. He reminds me of a Young Nolan Ryan who lived (pretty well) throwing High fastballs.
 Andrew is the most Vanilla QB i can remember.
 And he has to wait for his receivers to come out of their breaks before he trusts himself to throw it.
  What DB doesn`t like that? lol

6 minutes ago, Ja'Crispy said:

Just to bring this whole thing full circle, I saw AC on the canal the other day.  I really want to believe he was there playing PokemonGO.

I'm not a fan of Pokemon GO, it's like playing poker with play money. Currently there's no battling or trading and it seems pointless to catch pokemon without the intention of either when i can do it competitively on the 3DS. Also I hate how people go to hotspots like they do, perfect opportunity for a child abductor to take a kid or something else bad to happen. 

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

He has only one motion and he throws it as consistently over the top (high release point) as any QB i have ever seen.
 The guy doesn`t adjust his motion to fit the ball accurately to his receivers in the routes 15 yards and in like all great QB`s do at times. He reminds me of a Young Nolan Ryan who lived (pretty well) throwing High fastballs.
 Andrew is the most Vanilla QB i can remember.
 And he has to wait for his receivers to come out of their breaks before he trusts himself to throw it.
  What DB doesn`t like that? lol

This explains it better than I can. You have to throw the ball to where the receiver is going to be, not where he currently is. I wish he would just stick to plays 0-20 yards with an occasional deep pass into single coverage once in a while if the safeties aren't there. Screens and slants are a QB's best friend. Learn them well Andrew, we have the perfect team for them.

9 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This explains it better than I can. You have to throw the ball to where the receiver is going to be, not where he currently is. I wish he would just stick to plays 0-20 yards with an occasional deep pass into single coverage once in a while if the safeties aren't there. Screens and slants are a QB's best friend. Learn them well Andrew, we have the perfect team for them.

I think with Chud we will see more of Andrew vs Denver where he was doing that.

I think with Chud we will see more of Andrew vs Denver where he was doing that.

That's my hope. That was a fun game and it would be awesome to see more of that in the future. My hope is Chud can fix Luck's deficiencies. Will be interesting to see practice today. I hope to see him standout with the receivers.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's my hope. That was a fun game and it would be awesome to see more of that in the future. My hope is Chud can fix Luck's deficiencies. Will be interesting to see practice today. I hope to see him standout with the receivers.

Before I knew Andrew was injured I honestly thought we run the table after that game. He looked that great. Run the table regarding Regular Season games.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Before I knew Andrew was injured I honestly thought we run the table after that game. He looked that great. Run the table regarding Regular Season games.

Yeah, it looked like he had turned it around. That game, and the fact that Chud got so much out of Hasselback in the final games make me optimistic for the year somewhat. Lets hope Chud is the answer to our problems.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah, it looked like he had turned it around. That game, and the fact that Chud got so much out of Hasselback in the final games make me optimistic for the year somewhat. Lets hope Chud is the answer to our problems.

10-6 is the likely hood but Heath says 6-10 so who knows haha 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

10-6 is the likely hood but Heath says 6-10 so who knows haha 

I'm one of the more pessimistic fans on here, but 6-10 is ridiculously dumb. I think Luck would have to go down for the year before it started for that to possibly happen. I didn't see why he said that, but I think people are paid to have a case for a certain side. I don't believe that's his true opinion, just like I don't believe Skip Bayless can possibly be as stupid as he is portrayed.

I'm one of the more pessimistic fans on here, but 6-10 is ridiculously dumb. I think Luck would have to go down for the year before it started for that to possibly happen. I didn't see why he said that, but I think people are paid to have a case for a certain side. I don't believe that's his true opinion, just like I don't believe Skip Bayless can possibly be as stupid as he is portrayed.

Yeah if we go 6-10 that would be the strangest thing I have seen in my 40 years of watching Football. Sounds like Heath was drunk?

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah if we go 6-10 that would be the strangest thing I have seen in my 40 years of watching Football. Sounds like Heath was drunk?

He could of been, I didn't see him make it. For some reason, dish doesn't carry NFL Network anymore, so I may have to switch for the season, or get the season pass or whatever it's called this year until they straighten it out. How old are you? I thought you were about my age. I'm 29, lol.

He could of been, I didn't see him make it. For some reason, dish doesn't carry NFL Network anymore, so I may have to switch for the season, or get the season pass or whatever it's called this year until they straighten it out. How old are you? I thought you were about my age. I'm 29, lol.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Ok, that's still pretty young. Though I will admit, I'm not looking forward to being 44. I remember when I was just in high school, lol.

When I was 30 I thought 44 was old haha I would love to be 30 again. When you get older sometimes you have aches and pains that you don't expect.

When I was 30 I thought 44 was old haha I would love to be 30 again. When you get older sometimes you have aches and pains that you don't expect.

I bet, it starts to creep up on you. I'm still able to stay up all night because I'm conditioned to do so, but it won't last forever. I'll definitely enjoy it while I can, then I'll have to have some kids, lol.

16 hours ago, a06cc said:

This was how camp started last year with Luck throwing picks. Gotta limit those. I know it's camp so let's see what develops over the course. 

I think the picks were described as the defenders making nice plays, rather than Luck making a bad decision or a bad throw, but who knows the cause.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's very consistent with what I've personally seen from him and makes me even more worried that he's performing the same patterns in his throwing motions. Like I said, I don't think he's going to fix what's wrong, and Chud needs to adapt a short to medium pass dink and dunk strategy to him. Use Hilton, Dorsett and Moncrief with a ton of slant routes and let them use their speed to burn opposing CB's. We obviously can't rely on the deep ball.

I don't think anything's "wrong" per se. When he misses, he tends to miss high, it is what it is. At this point it's up to Chudzinski to draw up plays that capitalize on Luck's strengths, and limit the plays that exploit his weaknesses. Plus, they really shouldn't be reliant on the deep ball anyways. On average, most teams only throw the ball deep 5 or 6 times per game, anything more than that is just taking unnecessary risks.

9 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I bet, it starts to creep up on you. I'm still able to stay up all night because I'm conditioned to do so, but it won't last forever. I'll definitely enjoy it while I can, then I'll have to have some kids, lol.

I still look pretty young because I have took care of myself but sometimes the body doesn't cooperate when you get in your 40's. I woke up the other morning and couldn't put weight on my left foot. Didn't even workout. It felt broke. I broke it when I was 18 playing Basketball so at times it gives me problems and this is bad. It bothered me for like 4 days, then I woke up the other morning and it was fine. All I did was stay off of it for a few days and use Icy Hot of all things. One minute I couldn't walk, now I can jump around lmao 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I still look pretty young because I have took care of myself but sometimes the body doesn't cooperate when you get in your 40's. I woke up the other morning and couldn't put weight on my left foot. Didn't even workout. It felt broke. I broke it when I was 18 playing Basketball so at times it gives me problems and this is bad. It bothered me for like 4 days, then I woke up the other morning and it was fine. All I did was stay off of it for a few days and use Icy Hot of all things. One minute I couldn't walk, now I can jump around lmao 

That's going to be really strange to go through later down the road. I've never broke a bone in my life though, so I guess I'm lucky there. Weighed 120 pounds soaking wet my senior year of high school and could play rb easily. Got knocked around, but never injured. Too light to play in college though, so I fully played pokemon after high school. There are all sorts of medical problems that can happen as you age. Both of my parents have diabetes, so I have to watch what I eat. Also just about taking care of yourself as you age as well, I'm figuring that out even now.

20 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I don't think anything's "wrong" per se. When he misses, he tends to miss high, it is what it is. At this point it's up to Chudzinski to draw up plays that capitalize on Luck's strengths, and limit the plays that exploit his weaknesses. Plus, they really shouldn't be reliant on the deep ball anyways. On average, most teams only throw the ball deep 5 or 6 times per game, anything more than that is just taking unnecessary risks.

That's true, I think Slants and Screens would be strength plays as they allow him to throw short to medium passes and use our wrs' speed to their advantage. It's up to Chud, but that's the way I'd do it, mixing in some runs and the occasional deep pass as well.

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's going to be really strange to go through later down the road. I've never broke a bone in my life though, so I guess I'm lucky there. Weighed 120 pounds soaking wet my senior year of high school and could play rb easily. Got knocked around, but never injured. Too light to play in college though, so I fully played pokemon after high school. There are all sorts of medical problems that can happen as you age. Both of my parents have diabetes, so I have to watch what I eat. Also just about taking care of yourself as you age as well, I'm figuring that out even now.

It really just depends what you have put your body through. I used to run a lot too, so my left ankle will probably always give me problems. That running kept me in shape though but the aches and pains aren't good at times. Nothing I cant tolerate but it sucks. When I was in my 30's it was gravy.  

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's true, I think Slants and Screens would be strength plays as they allow him to throw short to medium passes and use our wrs' speed to their advantage. It's up to Chud, but that's the way I'd do it, mixing in some runs and the occasional deep pass as well.

I'm honestly fine with them taking 3 or 4 deep shots per half, but only if the offense is rolling and the D is somewhat on it's heels and guessing. But there's no reason to start off the game throwing the ball 30 yards downfield 1 out of every 3 throws like last year vs Buffalo and NYJ. We all saw what happened when the offense is predicated on just chucking it downfield.