Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

hilton, moncrief, and dorsett in 3 years

CR91

The INDY500 package will change the way NFL defenses have to think about defending WRs and every team in the league will be envious of how much Luck can utilize these guys -- that is, if we can give Luck enough time to allow routes to develop and deliver the ball.

If our OL doesn't improve, I think people will be saying "Wow, the Colts have really fast receivers, too bad they've got a back-up QB in all the time who doesn't have the arm strength to take advantage of their speed and talent."

12 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

The INDY500 package will change the way NFL defenses have to think about defending WRs and every team in the league will be envious of how much Luck can utilize these guys -- that is, if we can give Luck enough time to allow routes to develop and deliver the ball.

If our OL doesn't improve, I think people will be saying "Wow, the Colts have really fast receivers, too bad they've got a back-up QB in all the time who doesn't have the arm strength to take advantage of their speed and talent."

That is the key. Giving Luck enough time to go through his progressions. It has also been established Luck has a slower delivery than a few other QBs so getting him more time is a big question at this point.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

That is the key. Giving Luck enough time to go through his progressions. It has also been established Luck has a slower delivery than a few other QBs so getting him more time is a big question at this point.

I have a slightly different opinion of that CC1. Luck has a tendency to want to accumulate a lot of yards on throws thru the air waiting as long as he can for a vertical bomb downfield. I don't think it's a release issue actually. More like retraining himself with Chud at OC to matriculate the ball methodically with each down. 

It's a question or a mindset of learning to lean on Dwayne Allen & our other TEs more from the QBs perspective & not seeing Hilton as his only fail safe mechanism. Andrew processes info just fine. Chud just has to show him thru play calling to spread the ball around more. 

The question I would ask is this: Where do we see Allen, Doyle, & Mike Miller in 3 yrs? 

I value TEs more than WRs personally. Dallas Clark & Jacob Tamme were huge assets for us back in their hey day. 

Shannon Sharpe opened my eyes to how vital TEs really are when he won a ring with the Ravens in 2000 & how significant they can be as blockers in the running game too. 

My apologies to CR91. I respect you & I'm not trying to re-define your thread. Your question is a good one BTW. Sorry if I overstepped my bounds there. 

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

what do you think we'll be saying about them in 3 years

I just wanna beat Pittsburgh, NE, & the dreaded Cowboys. I hate being humiliated by Dallas on Natl. TV. It blows.

If Hilton, Moncrief, & Dorsett can help INDY get to a SB, I will be very happy. 

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

getting him more time is a big question at this point.

True CC1, I agree 100% with the notion that Luck needs more time to survey the field & if Andrew is given more time, he will definitely make another deep playoffs run. 

We're not far apart here my friend. I just don't think it's a decision making issue just a distribution concern that can easily be re-molded or re-trained in my opinion. 

To quote Yoda from Empire Strikes Back, "you must unlearn what you have learned." 

22 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I just wanna beat Pittsburgh, NE, & the dreaded Cowboys. I hate being humiliated by Dallas on Natl. TV. It blows.

If Hilton, Moncrief, & Dorsett can help INDY get to a SB, I will be very happy. 

That game we lost to Dallas we werent playing for anything and our minds were somehwere else so I wouldnt put much stock in that loss. The Steelers and Patriots as usual are the teams we really have to worry about come Playoff time. I will be curious to see how good the Texans are being that they are in our Division.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That game we lost to Dallas we werent playing for anything and our minds were somehwere else so I wouldnt put much stock in that loss. The Steelers and Patriots as usual are the teams we really have to worry about come Playoff time. I will be curious to see how good the Texans are being that they are in our Division.

I get what you're saying CBE & from a rational point of view you're probably right. However, when you have been indoctrinated to despise Dallas since you were in diapers; there is no meaningless loss to the Cowboys ever. That's why I relish it when Eli & Big Blue demolish & pulverize Dallas on the field. It's like Christmas all over again. I grin from ear to ear whenever the Giants pass rush sacks Romo multiple times. It's so liberating to watch. It's fantastic. :D

Yes, the Texans will be a tour de force to be reckoned with if Brock Oz is that final missing piece in Houston. Tougher competition in the AFC South will only make INDY stronger down the stretch as you already know pal.

2 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I have a slightly different opinion of that CC1. Luck has a tendency to want to accumulate a lot of yards on throws thru the air waiting as long as he can for a vertical bomb downfield. I don't think it's a release issue actually. More like retraining himself with Chud at OC to matriculate the ball methodically with each down. 

It's a question or a mindset of learning to lean on Dwayne Allen & our other TEs more from the QBs perspective & not seeing Hilton as his only fail safe mechanism. Andrew processes info just fine. Chud just has to show him thru play calling to spread the ball around more. 

I have watched Luck in slow motion a lot and did pick up that the only time he has a quick release has pretty much been on what few timing patterns the Colts have run. He may get some more quickness with shorter routes and more timing patterns but IMO he does not have the quick release such as some of the other QBs in the league. As far as play calling and finding other receivers besides Hilton it's been more of not having the time to go through any progressions at all. The Colts went through 5 QBs last season and it sure wasn't from standing in the pocket waiting for a receiver to get open. :dunno::sorry:

49 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I get what you're saying CBE & from a rational point of view you're probably right. However, when you have been indoctrinated to despise Dallas since you were in diapers; there is no meaningless loss to the Cowboys ever. That's why I relish it when Eli & Big Blue demolish & pulverize Dallas on the field. It's like Christmas all over again. I grin from ear to ear whenever the Giants pass rush sacks Romo multiple times. It's so liberating to watch. It's fantastic. :D

Yes, the Texans will be a tour de force to be reckoned with if Brock Oz is that final missing piece in Houston. Tougher competition in the AFC South will only make INDY stronger down the stretch as you already know pal.

I dont care for the Cowboys much either but I dont hate them. Can I ask why you do so much? I get a kick out of some of your Posts regarding them. They are entertaining. Teams I despise are the Patriots and Steelers more than anyone and it's not close to me. Both have prevented our organization of getting to SB's several times like in 1995 (Steelers), 2003 (Pats), 2004 (Pats), 2005(Steelers), and Andrew's chance in 2014 (Patriots). Those teams are always a thorn in our side. If it wasn't for those 2 teams we more than likely would've had at least another SB win or maybe 2.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I dont care for the Cowboys much either but I dont hate them. Can I ask why you do so much? I get a kick out of some of your Posts regarding them. They are entertaining. Teams I despise are the Patriots and Steelers more than anyone and it's not close to me. Both have prevented our organization of getting to SB's several times like in 1995 (Steelers), 2003 (Pats), 2004 (Pats), 2005(Steelers), and Andrew's chance in 2014 (Patriots). Those teams are always a thorn in our side. If it wasn't for those 2 teams we more than likely would've had at least another SB win or maybe 2.

I cant answer for SW1 but I dislike the Cowboys because of Jerry Jones. Before he became the owner I liked the Cowboys somewhat. I have always been a AFC guy so the Cowboys wasn't a favorite of mine but I respected them because of their past and coach Landry. IMO Jones should just be the owner and keep himself away from making any decisions about the team. I know owners have the final say in everything but let the people you hire do their jobs. I thought the way he got rid of Landry was as disrespectful as it can get. Not the fact of firing him but how it all went down. Jones also had Jimmy Johnson who did know football and ran him off because Jimmy's ego was cutting into his. Jimmy Johnson IMO would have a couple of more super bowl wins and Jerry tossed that away because it was Jimmy who was getting all the attention.

8 hours ago, southwest1 said:

The question I would ask is this: Where do we see Allen, Doyle, & Mike Miller in 3 yrs? 

I value TEs more than WRs personally. Dallas Clark & Jacob Tamme were huge assets for us back in their hey day. 

Shannon Sharpe opened my eyes to how vital TEs really are when he won a ring with the Ravens in 2000 & how significant they can be as blockers in the running game too. 

My apologies to CR91. I respect you & I'm not trying to re-define your thread. Your question is a good one BTW. Sorry if I overstepped my bounds there. 

haha you're fine don't worry. Just trying to move along these last boring three weeks

2 hours ago, BOTT said:

One will be on another team because you can't and shouldn't be shilling out big money for multiple receivers.

with the cap going up every year, its possible

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If you really want me to encapsulate my Cowboys venom into a tangible form that is easy to digest & follow, I would have to say this: I can't stand the idea that the slogan "America's Team" has gained a foothold in Dallas exclusively as a football franchise. I'm sorry was there some international NFL survey taken on trademark slogans that I missed because I don't recall another other team with the arrogance, gull, self centered over the top confidence to self label themselves "America's Team" do you? And then, ownership waltzes around like they just won a Championship in February. Excuse me? Your last ring was won in the 1995 season darn near 20 yrs ago in the previous century. What the hades is Jerry Jones sticking his chest out for? Okay sure, Rex Ryan used to boast & brag about bring a ring home in the Big Apple with the Jets, but at least gang green has played in AFC Championship Games in the 21st Century. 

You don't see the Oakland Raiders gloat about how great they are constantly since 2002 do ya? Nope. And when did Dallas silver & blue colors represent American patriotism exactly? Our union jack is red, white, & blue is it not? Silver is no where to be found. Also, whenever they lose playoff games they have a legion of defenders to rescue them from coming up short in the post season. No Dez Bryant that wasn't a catch against GB. Let it go already & stop acting like a cry baby or throwing a temper tantrum in the locker room that Jason Witten saved you from just because you couldn't handle going 4-12 & underperforming as an elite WR when a reporter was just doing his job. When INDY sucked record wise in 2011, you didn't see Reggie Wayne slamming reporters did ya? Nope because the man is a consummate professional & knows journalists have deadlines to meet it's nothing personal. 

Finally, both Michael Irvin & Deion Sanders get under my skin. They just irritate me to no end. They slam INDY all yr in 2006 & then we beat Chicago in the rain & they pull a 360 saying we loved you guys all yr. man. Bull crap get outta my face with that band wagon traitor nonsense you 2. I respect former players turned analysts that are fair, objective, & loyal all yr long. Drop the fake caboose kissing session Prime Time & playmaker okay. You look like hypocritical clowns fellas seriously. 

I don't elevate franchises that constantly under perform for 2 decades running. Yes, their stadium cost a pretty penny & is shiny who cares? Any new SB trophies in this decade fellas? Nothing but crickets chirping man. There there Dallas...Here's a box of kleenex you over bloated & over hyped shrine to lower expectations. 

Do I hate Romo personally? No. Troy Aikman? No. Moose Johnston? No. Emmitt Smith? You bet your backside I do. He's overflowing with smugness over how great he thinks he is. When he broke Barry Sanders rushing record, I knew Emitt was never gonna shut up about it & he hasn't. I actually respected Jimmy Johnson & how he put fear in every player in that locker room. 

5 hours ago, southwest1 said:

If you really want me to encapsulate my Cowboys venom into a tangible form that is easy to digest & follow, I would have to say this: I can't stand the idea that the slogan "America's Team" has gained a foothold in Dallas exclusively as a football franchise. I'm sorry was there some international NFL survey taken on trademark slogans that I missed because I don't recall another other team with the arrogance, gull, self centered over the top confidence to self label themselves "America's Team" do you? And then, ownership waltzes around like they just won a Championship in February. Excuse me? Your last ring was won in the 1995 season darn near 20 yrs ago in the previous century. What the hades is Jerry Jones sticking his chest out for? Okay sure, Rex Ryan used to boast & brag about bring a ring home in the Big Apple with the Jets, but at least gang green has played in AFC Championship Games in the 21st Century. 

You don't see the Oakland Raiders gloat about how great they are constantly since 2002 do ya? Nope. And when did Dallas silver & blue colors represent American patriotism exactly? Our union jack is red, white, & blue is it not? Silver is no where to be found. Also, whenever they lose playoff games they have a legion of defenders to rescue them from coming up short in the post season. No Dez Bryant that wasn't a catch against GB. Let it go already & stop acting like a cry baby or throwing a temper tantrum in the locker room that Jason Witten saved you from just because you couldn't handle going 4-12 & underperforming as an elite WR when a reporter was just doing his job. When INDY sucked record wise in 2011, you didn't see Reggie Wayne slamming reporters did ya? Nope because the man is a consummate professional & knows journalists have deadlines to meet it's nothing personal. 

Finally, both Michael Irvin & Deion Sanders get under my skin. They just irritate me to no end. They slam INDY all yr in 2006 & then we beat Chicago in the rain & they pull a 360 saying we loved you guys all yr. man. Bull crap get outta my face with that band wagon traitor nonsense you 2. I respect former players turned analysts that are fair, objective, & loyal all yr long. Drop the fake caboose kissing session Prime Time & playmaker okay. You look like hypocritical clowns fellas seriously. 

I don't elevate franchises that constantly under perform for 2 decades running. Yes, their stadium cost a pretty penny & is shiny who cares? Any new SB trophies in this decade fellas? Nothing but crickets chirping man. There there Dallas...Here's a box of kleenex you over bloated & over hyped shrine to lower expectations. 

Do I hate Romo personally? No. Troy Aikman? No. Moose Johnston? No. Emmitt Smith? You bet your backside I do. He's overflowing with smugness over how great he thinks he is. When he broke Barry Sanders rushing record, I knew Emitt was never gonna shut up about it & he hasn't. I actually respected Jimmy Johnson & how he put fear in every player in that locker room. 

I agree with a lot of this and it explains many reasons why you hate the Cowboys. I agree with you 100% on 3 things, 1. The Cowboys shouldn't be labeled America's team, that is just wrong, 2. Jerry Jones is very smug and he did Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson dirty IMO and he acts like he just won a SB after every season, 3. I cant stand Deion Sanders regarding his analysis over the years when it comes to the Colts and Peyton. It's been going on since the 2006 Season where every chance he gets he has bashed our team and especially Peyton, very annoying. Regarding Emmitt Smith, I disagree with you as far as his greatness goes. He was tough as nails and a Top 4 RB of all-time IMO. He is in the convo with Jim Brown, Walter Payton, and Barry Sanders. It's not his fault that Barry Sanders retired in his prime which opened the door for him to get the record. It's a record he deserves IMO as he was durable enough to get it despite laying his body out on the line every week for 15 seasons. That Giants game at NY (1993) when HFA was on the line he basically played with 1 arm and dominated the game. Back's in todays league cry if they stub their toe.

I apologize for getting off topic for a few Posts, I was just curious to see why SW1 hated the Cowboys so much. Back to the topic: I think TY and Moncrief can be the next Duper/Clayton for the Colts is what we could be saying in 3 years. Both of those guys can average 80 catches a season with Andrew throwing to them. Also in 3 years I think most people that disliked the Dorsett pick will be saying they like the pick by then. We have 3 potentially dangerous WR's for years to come.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree with a lot of this and it explains many reasons why you hate the Cowboys. I agree with you 100% on 3 things, 1. The Cowboys shouldn't be labeled America's team, that is just wrong, 2. Jerry Jones is very smug and he did Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson dirty IMO and he acts like he just won a SB after every season, 3. I cant stand Deion Sanders regarding his analysis over the years when it comes to the Colts and Peyton. It's been going on since the 2006 Season where every chance he gets he has bashed our team and especially Peyton, very annoying. Regarding Emmitt Smith, I disagree with you as far as his greatness goes. He was tough as nails and a Top 4 RB of all-time IMO. He is in the convo with Jim Brown, Walter Payton, and Barry Sanders. It's not his fault that Barry Sanders retired in his prime which opened the door for him to get the record. It's a record he deserves IMO as he was durable enough to get it despite laying his body out on the line every week for 15 seasons. That Giants game at NY (1993) when HFA was on the line he basically played with 1 arm and dominated the game. Back's in todays league cry if they stub their toe.

My issue with #22 isn't that he didn''t earn the record as the greatest RB of all time in NFL history. He was a small, quick, & crafty runner behind those 90's offensive lines. Smith honestly believes he's the best back in football history. He's not. Nobody could turn on a dime while running full steam like Barry did. His change of direction was amazing. I've never seen any back as smooth as Barry was man. Sure, Eric Dickerson was great in his own right & Marshall Faulk had his shinning moments over his career that is true. But, Barry Sanders broke the mold man. There's only 1 #20 accept no substitutes. I just remember in 2010 at his HOF speech at Canton when he said "How bout those Cowboys" in emphatic praise. That always rubs me the wrong way because he says it as if his team is always invincible & his overconfidence just irritates me. 

I'm not questioning Emmitt's work ethic simply his over the top ego. He did say nice things about 'Sweetness' that I did appreciate during his yellow jacket speech. 

I didn't like how Deion Sanders slammed the Giants all yr in 2007 & then when they beat NE in the SB he acted like he was Eli's & Tom Coughlin's best buddy either. I would have called him out on the air over it politely with some intensity behind it. Just saying. 

Thanks for your detailed reply back CBE. I appreciate it. :hat:

37 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

My issue with #22 isn't that he didn''t earn the record as the greatest RB of all time in NFL history. He was a small, quick, & crafty runner behind those 90's offensive lines. Smith honestly believes he's the best back in football history. He's not. Nobody could turn on a dime while running full steam like Barry did. His change of direction was amazing. I've never seen any back as smooth as Barry was man. Sure, Eric Dickerson was great in his own right & Marshall Faulk had his shinning moments over his career that is true. But, Barry Sanders broke the mold man. There's only 1 #20 accept no substitutes. I just remember in 2010 at his HOF speech at Canton when he said "How bout those Cowboys" in emphatic praise. That always rubs me the wrong way because he says it as if his team is always invincible & his overconfidence just irritates me. 

I'm not questioning Emmitt's work ethic simply his over the top ego. He did say nice things about 'Sweetness' that I did appreciate during his yellow jacket speech. 

I didn't like how Deion Sanders slammed the Giants all yr in 2007 & then when they beat NE in the SB he acted like he was Eli's & Tom Coughlin's best buddy either. I would have called him out on the air over it politely with some intensity behind it. Just saying. 

Thanks for your detailed reply back CBE. I appreciate it. :hat:

I would not only Barry Sanders better that Emmitt Smith but Walter Peyton and Jim Brown a lot better too. I like what one of the linebackers said about Sanders, He said he had two speeds and it was "here he is and there he goes". Sweetness and Brown needs no explanation. Nuff said.

@crazy and SW1, I wont really debate that Jim Brown, Walter Payton, and Barry Sanders weren't better than Emmitt Smith but IMO Emmitt would be 4th at worse. Eric Dickerson would be 5th IMO if I was doing my Top 5. Regarding Barry Sanders, I do question his toughness + I didn't like how he just retired in his prime and left the Lions high and dry. Not only was that bad for the city of Detroit but it was bad for the league and the fans who loved watching him run. He didn't retire because of concussions or injuries, he just retired to stick it to the Lions.

Just now, Ollonesomeme said:

I think the future is very bright for all of them. With that being said, if they are that good it will be hard to keep them all after three years. Let them be great, we will worry about re-signing them when the time comes.