Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rotoworld Ranks NFL GMs

Dustin

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Because the end result is that the team went 6-3 without Luck. The poor coaching with Luck doesn't undermine the better coaching without him.

My point was Matts ability to execute combined with the better coaching once Matt was inserted into being the starter is the biggest reason we managed to go 6-3. Had they stuck with the offense Luck ran I believe 6-3 would have never happened and our roster deficiencies at key spots would have been even more exposed

1 minute ago, Gavin said:

My point was Matts ability to execute combined with the better coaching once Matt was inserted into being the starter is the biggest reason we managed to go 6-3. Had they stuck with the offense Luck ran I believe 6-3 would have never happened and our roster deficiencies at key spots would have been even more exposed

That's a different topic, though.

Just for the sake of discussion, the coaching changes that happened when MH was in the lineup, even the first two games, should have been in place from the start of the season. The gameplans against the Bills and Jets were horrendous, and we all talked about it. Pep was smart enough to know that he had to shorten things up for MH; I don't know why he didn't rein in Luck, but it eventually cost him his job. By the Broncos game, Chud was in charge, and his stuff was going to be more like the MH stuff anyways, with more stubborn reliance on the run game (which would have been nice against the Patriots or Saints, for instance). Luck just happened to get hurt in that game.

By the time of the Pittsburgh and Jacksonville games, we saw MH beat up, and losing effectiveness, and we saw what happens when any team loses their QB / best player for an extended period of time. The effect of poor QBing ruined any chance of competing against the Steelers. The Houston game was winnable with better QBing. Those games show how much we needed Luck, regardless of the gameplans. 

Even still, 6-3 with a supposedly crummy roster, a 40 year old backup, and an "inept" coaching staff... I think maybe we're just pandering to the masses when we ignore what the Colts did without Luck last year. It's even worse when you mention that they were without Luck, but act like they didn't do surprisingly well in his absence.

All anyone has to say about Grigson is 'it's been four years and the Colts still have a bad offensive line and a below average defense.' There's no argument against any of that. Rank him 25th on that alone, and I'd have nothing to say.

Read the Cowboys blurb, and tell me there isn't a major discrepancy here: 

15. Jerry Jones/Stephen Jones, Cowboys

Last Year’s Ranking: 16

Has Jerry Jones the owner finally fired Jerry Jones the general manager? The Cowboys’ website says he hasn’t, but at the very least, Jones has allowed his advisers to curtail his whims. Ol’ Jer would have taken Johnny Manzielin a heartbeat, wrecking the most promising Cowboys core in a decade. New Jerry listens closely to his son Stephen and director of player personnel Will McClay. Together, Will and Stephen have quietly re-stocked the roster and turned the Cowboys into one of the league’s better drafting clubs. The Cowboys’ run on offensive linemen has given them a coherent identity for the first time since Bill Parcells was calling the shots, if not Jimmy Johnson. The plan was derailed last season when Tony Romo got hurt, but the Cowboys are undeniably working toward something on offense. The defense remains a work in progress, but far from a lost cause. Jerry’s brain trust landed upside pass rushers Demarcus Lawrence and Randy Gregory in back-to-back second rounds, and nailed 2015 first-rounderByron Jones. Jerry craves the spotlight like oxygen, but it’s his delegation of powers that’s allowed his team to come up for air.   

The Cowboys lose Romo and go 1-11, but it's just that 'the plan was derailed.' The Colts go 6-3 without Luck, and it's 'an injured and absent Luck exposed Grigson’s roster for what it is.' 

That strikes me as intellectually dishonest, at best.  

On 4/15/2016 at 9:47 AM, crazycolt1 said:

It's nice to have a forum member who knows Grigson good enough to know what Irsay said and told him by the look on his face. :dunno::)

I think there were other people who noticed that Grigson looked down in the mouth. Maybe someone stole his Twix from the candy machine.

23 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

In 3 years trading a 1st for a RB will still be stupid and suck 

The Colts have cut bait, but not you. If it means all that much to you to whine and cry over something that happened 3 years ago be my guest. Anything you can come up with has already been said dozens of times.

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

The Colts have cut bait, but not you. If it means all that much to you to whine and cry over something that happened 3 years ago be my guest. Anything you can come up with has already been said dozens of times.

I think you underestimated there, unless you were talking about a single thread on the subject of TR or Grigson.

"but the benefit of the doubt vanished with last year’s 8-8 campaign. You could argue it’s a miracle the Colts were as good as they were with Luck missing nine games, but an injured and absent Luck exposed Grigson’s roster for what it is:

Sounds biased to me.

Why was it a miracle and not the results of a good roster?  Grigson signed MH right?  Would the Steelers have gone 8-8 if Ben was out longer...how about the Pats with Brady? 

The article makes no sense.

8 hours ago, SupermanLuck12 said:

I'm wondering how much cap space the Colts will have next season? I wonder if Grigson set the Colts up to make a strong push (even after Luck gets paid)

8 hours ago, SupermanLuck12 said:

I'm wondering how much cap space the Colts will have next season? I wonder if Grigson set the Colts up to make a strong push (even after Luck gets paid)

Superman had posted about this a couple of weeks ago but I can't seem to find the post? Anyway, here is the cap outlook for 2017 w/out Luck's new contract or any further re-signings or new signings this year or next.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/cap/2017/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/cap/2017/

17 hours ago, SupermanLuck12 said:

http://overthecap.com/calculator/indianapolis-colts/

With a projected cap of $162 mil, we're projected to have slightly over $72 mil before paying anyone, including our own guys.  That's quite a lot of money, so I think we'll have enough cap space to make a strong free agent push, if Grigson decides to do that