Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Titans would be fools to not draft Tunsil

Tunsil or Ramsey, just depends on what you favor more. Impact safety doesn't come around often the last ones on this level were Berry/Thomas. If they go with Tunsil do they slide Lewan over there or does Tunsil start there? Lewan actually had a decent year.

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

No one ever really trades down from the number 1 pick. When was the last time it happened?

nobody worth trading up that high for this year. its hard to even come up with the ammo to trade up to no one, unless you want to be like the redskins and give up your first for years 

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

nobody worth trading up that high for this year. its hard to even come up with the ammo to trade up to no one, unless you want to be like the redskins and give up your first for years 

Yeah it really defeats the purpose of having the number 1 overall pick. If there isn't a favorite you basically have to go BPA.

No one is trading up for the number 1 pick so you're stuck with it.

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

The Titans would be foolish to ask for that much.

13 minutes ago, Indy Fan said:

Then why would they give up on the top player on their board?

Just because the redskins gave up a boatload for an overrated QB a few yrs ago doesn't mean every team is going to get the same deal.  That doesn't mean there isn't a good deal to be had.

26 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Just because the redskins gave up a boatload for an overrated QB a few yrs ago doesn't mean every team is going to get the same deal.  That doesn't mean there isn't a good deal to be had.

Hindsight, scouts were pegging RG3 has a dynamic franchise quarterback. If you feel he can take you to the playoffs then those picks don't carry nearly value. Especially now look at the QB market Osweiler for 18 million vs Luck at around 23 million. 

Personally,   I'd take Tunsil....

That said,   I think there IS an argument for a trade down.

Say SF wants their choice of QB,  and they offer a boat load to swap 1's.  

Now, Tennessee is picking 7th and they could take Stanley.     If they felt he'd be there -- and I think there's a good chance that he will, and if they think he's really good (just maybe not Tunsil good)  then you do the trade,  draft Stanley and pocket the draft picks.      Perhaps a 2 this year, and a 1 and a 2 next year?     Roughly something like that......

Again,   I'm taking Tunsil and not looking back.      I just don't think it's a slam dunk.     In Tennessee's war room you have to sit around and do the evaluation.    Maybe somebody makes you an offer that you can't refuse.......   (Where have I heard that before?)

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Now, Tennessee is picking 7th and they could take Stanley.     If they felt he'd be there -- and I think there's a good chance that he will, and if they think he's really good (just maybe not Tunsil good)  then you do the trade,  draft Stanley and pocket the draft picks.      Perhaps a 2 this year, and a 1 and a 2 next year?     Roughly something like that......

Again,   I'm taking Tunsil and not looking back.      I just don't think it's a slam dunk.     In Tennessee's war room you have to sit around and do the evaluation.    Maybe somebody makes you an offer that you can't refuse.......   (Where have I heard that before?)

According to what I have been reading the 49ers want Kaepernick to stay. He is the one who is asking for a trade. That may effect what the 49ers will do in the draft about offering a boat load if the have to pay 11.9 million. They may be having a hard time finding a team that will give what they want for Kaep. I'm not too sure if the 49ers are really interested in the top couple of QBs available. Tough spot for them at this point.

3 hours ago, Indy Fan said:

Hindsight, scouts were pegging RG3 has a dynamic franchise quarterback. If you feel he can take you to the playoffs then those picks don't carry nearly value. Especially now look at the QB market Osweiler for 18 million vs Luck at around 23 million. 

Not hindsight for everyone.

6 hours ago, BOTT said:

Not hindsight for everyone.

Absolutely but the vast majority of scouts had him #2 I've even seen some going to us at #1. That's why the Rams received so much in return. Tons of variables which effects how a player progresses or regresses. Same could be said about LTs. All I'm saying is if the Titans have another player over Tunsil on their boards they aren't dumb for taking that player. I personally would snag either Tunsil or Ramsey and never look back as I think they are a tier above everyone else. You can get an alpha dog in your secondary that could instantly transform how OC have to game plan or you can snag another bookend to protect Mariota and open up some running lanes. 

22 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If someone in the top five wants #1 to draft a QB, then moving down might make sense, but the only team in the top five that's realistically thinking QB is the Browns at #2, and they won't come up unless they think the Niners are going to try to get in front of them, which I don't think is on the table. Matter of fact, I don't think the Browns will come up, period, based on what little I know of their front office. I think they'd rather accumulate draft picks than give them up to move one spot. Even if they really like Wentz, if the Niners are willing to come up for him, I could see the Browns actually moving back from #2.

I think the best course of action is to take the best player, which I think is Tunsil. But IF things get crazy, they might be able to move back and still get Tunsil (very unlikely), or move back and get Myles Jack, who I'm starting to feel is the #2 player in the draft. No disrespect to Ramsey (who is more safety than corner, and who would fit the Chargers well at #3), but I think Jack is going to be a Willis/Lewis kind of player. If the Colts weren't so short on picks and didn't have so many holes, I'd be hoping they'd move up to #4 somehow if he's still there.

I definitely think there will be some movement in the top five, and then everyone's projections are going to get blown up.

14 hours ago, krunk said:

Who cares?  Mularkey is their coach.  There going to suck! LOL

I don't think anyone knows how good or not Mularky can be.

And with Mariotta as their QB,  the Titans should be much improved.

A good draft to go along with a good off-season and FA should put them in position to be pretty competitive.....

There's no part of me that thinks a game vs. anyone in the AFC South will be easy this year.....

Only Bogie thinks that.....   and the next time he's right will officially be the first time....

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't think anyone knows how good or not Mularky can be.

And with Mariotta as their QB,  the Titans should be much improved.

A good draft to go along with a good off-season and FA should put them in position to be pretty competitive.....

There's no part of me that thinks a game vs. anyone in the AFC South will be easy this year.....

Only Bogie thinks that.....   and the next time he's right will officially be the first time....

Best I'll give him is a weak maybe.  Guy has been a head coach in previous stops and the teams were terrible for the most part.  Next argument you'll make is "Look at who the quarterbacks were" and that's the only part that gets him the weak maybe in my eyes.  I think he's similar to Wade Phillips meaning he's best suited in a coordinators role. That is where he's competent.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Best I'll give him is a weak maybe.  Guy has been a head coach in previous stops and the teams were terrible for the most part.  Next argument you'll make is "Look at who the quarterbacks were" and that's the only part that gets him the weak maybe in my eyes.  I think he's similar to Wade Phillips meaning he's best suited in a coordinators role.

Well, that is a legit argument.  I wouldn't have hired Malarkey in a million years, but damn, JP Losman, Kelly Holcomb, and Chad Henne?  That's rough...

3 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Well, that is a legit argument.  I wouldn't have hired Malarkey in a million years, but damn, JP Losman, Kelly Holcomb, and Chad Henne?  That's rough...

Exactly!  That is a rough suite of Quarterbacks, especially Losman who was super trash.

3 minutes ago, BOTT said:

He had 2 years remaining on his contract in Jacksonvile and David Caldwell wasn't convinced enough to say "Hey maybe if we get this guy a QB he'll be alright".   Especially with his coordinator background, a fairly competent coordinator at that.  He had nice numbers with the Falcons as a coordinator including Offensive Coordinator of the year in 2010.  I think they may have had other doubts as far as his ability to handle the other aspects of head coaching.  Who knows as I'm no expert on the issue but it's just my feeling.

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

He had 2 years remaining on his contract in Jacksonvile and David Caldwell wasn't convinced enough to say "Hey maybe if we get this guy a QB he'll be alright".   Especially with his coordinator background, a fairly competent coordinator at that.  He had nice numbers with the Falcons as a coordinator including Offensive Coordinator of the year in 2010.  I think they may have had other doubts as far as his ability to handle the other aspects of head coaching.  Who knows as I'm no expert on the issue but it's just my feeling.

I think the Falcons fired him because of one hideous play call in the playoffs lol....and it may have been deserved.

1 minute ago, BOTT said:

I think the Falcons fired him because of one hideous play call in the playoffs lol....and it may have been deserved.

I'd have to go back and look, but I don't think they fired him.  I think he just accepted the HC job in Jax. Could be wrong.

9 minutes ago, BOTT said:

It's a little surprising they didn't move to hire Chip Kelly who was available before they hired Mularkey.  Maybe the bad player relationships from Philly scared them off. I don't know.

10 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'd have to go back and look, but I don't think they fired him.  I think he just accepted the HC job in Jax. Could be wrong.

Yeah, you are right. But I think the belief was that he was going to be let go.

3 hours ago, krunk said:

Best I'll give him is a weak maybe.  Guy has been a head coach in previous stops and the teams were terrible for the most part.  Next argument you'll make is "Look at who the quarterbacks were" and that's the only part that gets him the weak maybe in my eyes.  I think he's similar to Wade Phillips meaning he's best suited in a coordinators role. That is where he's competent.

You may indeed be right.....    I'm just willing to give him the benefit of the doubt....

I am not going to argue how good Tunsil will be, but the problem is lineman are not being coached the same way because of the spread, and it is hurting their development. Tunsil comes out of a spread offense. If I go back the past 5 years, and look at the tackles who have gone number one, or top 10, it sounds like a siren saying no, don't do it.

2010-Trent Williams-Worked out Great, Russell Okung- good not worth the money under old CBA,

2011-Tyron Smith-Another great pick,

2012- Matt Kalil-Good first year, now looks like bust

2013-Eric Fisher number one pick and bust so far. Luck Joeckel- Bust potential so far, Lane Johnson-Good player but not a LT, Jonathan Cooper-Bust potential so far, Chance Warmack was number 11, and although not a bust, has not lived up to draft position. This was the year of the lineman, and not one of them has lived up to the billing.

2014- Greg Robinson, not a bust but moved to guard so time will tell, Jake Matthews-Injured a lot so he is in the bust potential also, Titans again at 11, Taylor Lewan, are going to move him to RT so has not lived up to promise so far, just like Warmack.

2015-Brandon Sherff, not a great first season, up and down, Ereck Flowers, not looking like a top ten pick.

Look my point is in the last ten years among lineman drafted in the top ten, I can make an argument maybe 5 were worth the high pick. Hindsight is always 20/20 and the problem is you have to project ceilings for these players because the coaching is not nearly what it was before the spread. The transition has become so much tougher to the NFL, and the numbers and coaches say the same thing. That is why not just ours, but many OL's have not been good.

Tunsil looks like a great LT, strong, light on his feet, but in two out of the last 3 drafts, the titans have already picked two LT's at number 11, and neither one is playing LT now. There career is young, but drafting another LT, I would just think about someone who is a true stud athlete. I guess it is one of the reasons I love Jalen Ramsey or Myles Jack. They are hybrids who can play multiple positions, which is so important today.

To me, Ramsey, Jack are the safer picks. Lineman scare me now in the top ten especially coming from spread formation teams.

But remember, it's the Titans. They probably won't draft him.

And you should be thankful for this. Your division needs to remain a train wreck that way the Colts can get things back together and dominate their 6 easy cupcake games of the year. We saw how traumatic it was last year when things were bad for them.