Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does New Era Mean Peyton Goes?

JColts72

I agree with ChineseDoll.... I think Manning will restructure his deal so that we can keep more FAs and ensure he is 100% healthy. Then he will take his big payday.

I think it will be performanced based,because of the neck injury(manning will volunteer to it IMO).He'll get his money regardless,because he always throws for 4,000/30 every single year.

I might be wrong but wasn't it Irsay that gave Peyton that contract? Irsay wanted Peyton to be the highest payed player. I don't get where everybody gets hung up on the contract.

I personally couldn't careless about the money issue.In my opinion,this contract has more to do with what he's already done for us.Its his money and he's earned it.But manning is a class act and will probably restructure on a volunteer(no pun intended) basis.

I just cannot see Irsay no matter how loyal he is to Peyton, to give him 28 mil plus another 7 to 8 mil he's due if that neck is not 100%. This is Joihnny U all over again- Peyton will probably finish up somewhere else.

I have to agree 100%. I smell a complete turnover and more may yet to come. No GM, No coach, now more than ever I think he is gone. The king is dead, live the king! I would love it if the new era believes in bigger, stronger linebackers as well and dump all our running backs for one that can actually advance theball forward!

I think as the contract is written today, he won't be back. If he restructures his deal than that changes things.

If I had to vote based on today, he's gone. I think a new GM, new coach and the #1 pick in the draft signals that they are moving in a different direction. I also don't think they want to pay the $$'s to Manning not knowing with 100% certainty if he'll be back and ready to play this fall.

I just wanna share my frustration.

#1 Bob Kravitz: When does he just shut the :edit: up?!?! Continuously lobbying for Luck, seeking for any pseudo-intelligent argument to write Manning out of town. Stop this! And it is not all about business. Yes, mostly it is - but not in every single case! I do not understand how even Colts fans can think that way. Really, this get's me going...

#2 Manning: When one thing become very much clear this season then this: Peyton Manning is not the problem! Blame the Polians (especially Polian jr.), blame Caldwell, blame an awful lot of wanna-be ProBowl players in this team but Manning did not lose any single game this season. So when Manning is not the problem why get rid of him? Many people are talking about the Joe Montana / Steve Young transition but wasn't it Steve Young who sat behind Montana a couple of years until Montana got injured and Young could take over? I just hope that Irsay stays to his word and keeps Manning if healthy.

Boy, that really makes me sick...

Edited by shecolt
masked profanity

about the whole restructure...i heard he cannot restructure so it should mean cut him and then re sign him.

cutting him saves how much money? I understand that even there, there would be "dead cap money". So if that is the case doesnt the cap hit of a new deal + the dead money would mean the same exact cap hit overall?

The NFLPA has said that the contract cannot be restructured before the March 8th deadline. Either they pay Manning the $28 million and he stays or they release him. Those are the 2 choices.

Then he stays.Mr.Irsay has already said as much...many times.He'll keep his word and pay the money that is owed to him(manning).I'm not sure 'why' this is even a discussion,because peyton isn't going ANYWHERE.Our owner has already stated this.This discussion/debate is over.

Then he stays.Mr.Irsay has already said as much...many times.He'll keep his word and pay the money that is owed to him(manning).I'm not sure 'why' this is even a discussion,because peyton isn't going ANYWHERE.Our owner has already stated this.This discussion/debate is over.

No he hasn't, this is a really bad misquote you are making. Irsay has said he would keep ANd pay him IF he is healthy. Manning basically has about 2 months and change to show the Colts he is healthy and ready to play football. Irsay is not paying Manning 28mill if he isn't healthy.

No he hasn't, this is a really bad misquote you are making. Irsay has said he would keep ANd pay him IF he is healthy. Manning basically has about 2 months and change to show the Colts he is healthy and ready to play football. Irsay is not paying Manning 28mill if he isn't healthy.

This is a jim irsay quote directly:"I've already paid him alot of money not to play this year,so 'why' wouldn't i pay him another 28 million?"

This is 'JIM IRSAY' talking.You know...the guy that's the OWNER OF THE FRANCHISE.

Maybe someone else has a direct quote but at the press conference yesterday Irsay said

"... there will be current players, coaches, and staff that will go forward into the new day, going on into the business of 2012"

(If healthy) Not only is Manning going to be retained but so is most of the core of this team.

The NFLPA has said that the contract cannot be restructured before the March 8th deadline. Either they pay Manning the $28 million and he stays or they release him. Those are the 2 choices.

Anyone know enough about how the contracts work to know if it's possible to cut him to avoid the $28 million hit and then resign him to a new contract?

If healthy, Manning stays and we still draft Luck/RG3. We need 2 good Qbs, this year showed us that. You don't release Manning and just let him walk for nothing! Pay Manning the bonus in March and we go into the draft with out of this world leverage! Manning if healthy has at least 2-3 good/great playoff years left. What's important is winning the south, getting to the playoffs. Having a chance to win it all. And we're still right there with Manning under center. I'll take that now over a draft pick who never played a down in the nfl. Let me see? Top 5 Qb(4 mvp) or rookie? Manning will be the starter and Luck/RG3 will see alot of time in preseason and be there to back up Manning if he gets hurt in the regular season. Where is it written that you can't sit and learn from 1 of the /if not the greatest? Luck went to Manning's passing camp, now he gets paid to go. Everyone wins! Healthy Manning = playoffs, while we groom our Qb for the future. And DEAR GOD PLEASE don't trade Manning to the jets, that would be the ultimate slap in the face to each and every colts fan.

In the years following Peyton being drafted, the entire league was forced to change and recognize the ability of a player to audible with truly amazing success. Never before in the history of the game had one man made such an impact on the way the game is played. In this new era of football, #18 has incited the other teams to change in their own ways, with varying strategies emmanating from varying football mentalities. No longer is football based solely on hard hitting offensive and defensive linemen. In this day and age, rules protecting quarterbacks and receivers dictate new approaches on both sides of the football.

Peyton's football IQ is unparalelled on the field. His value to the organization extends far beyond than on the field as a player. To send him on without consideration of a renegotiated contract offer would be a poor business decision. Consider a contract officially making him the league's first player-offensive coordinator. Once he stops playing and transitions Luck into the starter role, Peyton moves up in the coaching ranks, eventually taking over one day as head coach.

Maybe someone else has a direct quote but at the press conference yesterday Irsay said

"... there will be current players, coaches, and staff that will go forward into the new day, going on into the business of 2012"

(If healthy) Not only is Manning going to be retained but so is most of the core of this team.

Alot of people here don't seem to be GETTING IT or processing what our OWNER is telling them indirectly.He also basically said he's trading the pick away to become a more equally balanced(off/def) team that's not so quarterback dependant.

Alot of people here don't seem to be GETTING IT or processing what our OWNER is telling them indirectly.He also basically said he's trading the pick away to become a more equally balanced(off/def) team that's not so quarterback dependant.

I think your reading too much into this(trading Luck essentially ). There's nothing indirect about what Irsay said. Certain players, coaches, and staff will be part of the future.

This is a jim irsay quote directly:"I've already paid him alot of money not to play this year,so 'why' wouldn't i pay him another 28 million?"

This is 'JIM IRSAY' talking.You know...the guy that's the OWNER OF THE FRANCHISE.

I have no idea where you are getting this quote, please provide a source because i dont recall Irsay ever saying this

Where are you getting these quotes? Where did Irsay say anything about trading the pick away? If anything all I've heard is Irsay is taking Luck

#Colts @JimIrsay, the poetry man, won't pass on Andrew Luck. Dad dealt Elway in '83, 15 yrs later, Jim took Manning & now it's his Luck.

— Chris Mortensen (@mortreport)

January 7, 2012

I might be wrong but wasn't it Irsay that gave Peyton that contract? Irsay wanted Peyton to be the highest payed player. I don't get where everybody gets hung up on the contract.

Your post got me thinking about something. When Irsay was signing Peyton to those blockbuster contracts; ie highest payed player, who was the primary architect behind that?

What I mean is this...do you think that Peyton went to his agent or went to Irsay and said, "hey i wanna be payed the highest salary in the league." Or do you think that Peyton is the kind of guy of let his agent and Jim Irsay hash out the details so he can focus on football?

With that said, in either case, this is the advice I would give to the next Colts QB if he becomes a mega-star. At his next contract negotiation I would encourage him that if he wants to stay with the Colts to take less money than he deserves. This way the team can be more likely to retain other valuable free agents and be active in pursuing free agents from other teams. This would help the team remain balanced on all fronts.

Darn you!Now i must find it~.But he actually did say it...directly.If i can find it,then i'll post it.It came from colts.com.

I'm pretty sure Irsay never said that, if he did then I am wrong. If he did that also means theres a good chance he is keeping Manning. I just dont recall him ever saying this.

Where are you getting these quotes? Where did Irsay say anything about trading the pick away? If anything all I've heard is Irsay is taking Luck

https://twitter.com/...706394471964676

He didn't directly say he's trading the pick.It was said indirectly during his press release.You must read between the cryptic lines of jim irsay.

I just cannot see Irsay no matter how loyal he is to Peyton, to give him 28 mil plus another 7 to 8 mil he's due if that neck is not 100%. This is Joihnny U all over again- Peyton will probably finish up somewhere else.

If he isn't healthy enough to go, then they'll cut him. At the end of the day, Irsay is a business man. You don't hold on to a broken commodity. It's not good business. If he is healthy, why not play him and continue to bring in the ratings and the ticket sales?

He didn't directly say he's trading the pick.It was said indirectly during his press release.You must read between the cryptic lines of jim irsay.

About a week ago there were several reports stating Irsay is taking Luck. That's all I remember. Something about his dad passing up Elway basically, him taking Manning and he won't pass up Luck.

It's pretty simple. If the Colts see that Peyton's nerves are regenerating and his ability to throw is not going to fall off from what it was previously, he will get his bonus and be on the team next year. If there are health concerns that indicate he won't return to game form, he won't get his bonus and will get released. People shouldn't read more into it than that.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1493/peyton-manning

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on
SportsCenter
Wednesday that Peyton Manning "will not push back" his $28 million roster bonus and will either stay with the Colts or be released by the Colts.

Per Schefter, the sides are dug in. Owner Jim Irsay isn't going to trade Manning, and Manning won't restructure his contract to allow the Colts to get something in return. The $28 million bonus is due on March 8. Irsay is staunch in his commitment to pay Manning if he's healthy, but he's going to have to receive medical clearance from neck surgery in order to see the money.