Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade Up if the player is there (TY HILTON)

My two cents is this. Trade up in the 2nd or 3rd round if the player is there I.E. TY Hilton. Look, who cares to have a 7th or 6th rounder who wont make the team anyway. Get the starter you need in rounds 2-5. Trade UP! GRIGS! 

I am NOT advocating for a receiver, but if your CB/OLB/OLineman is there in rounds 2-5. Please have balls to get em'

6 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Look, who cares to have a 7th or 6th rounder who wont make the team anyway. Get the starter you need in rounds 2-5. Trade UP! GRIGS! 

Tell that to Danny Trevathan who just signed his $28 mil contract on that 6th round draft pick.

10 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

My two cents is this. Trade up in the 2nd or 3rd round if the player is there I.E. TY Hilton. Look, who cares to have a 7th or 6th rounder who wont make the team anyway. Get the starter you need in rounds 2-5. Trade UP! GRIGS! 

I am NOT advocating for a receiver, but if your CB/OLB/OLineman is there in rounds 2-5. Please have balls to get em'

Bethea(6th), Jeff Saturday(UDFA) and many others have come out as studs even with lower draft rounds.

49 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Wow really...Antonio Brown (top WR right now) 6th round, Kelvin Beachum, Jason Kelce, Alford Morris, J.R. Sweezy...I would never say a round does not matter when you can still strike gold.

For some reason, if Joshua Perry, OLB, Ohio State or Artie Burns, CB, Miami slips to top of round 3, I'd trade up for them in round 3. 

What do you guys think of Jordan Howard, RB out of IU? I feel he would be a great change of pace back behind Frank Gore. Would you trade up in round 3 for him if he is still there?

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

For some reason, if Joshua Perry, OLB, Ohio State or Artie Burns, CB, Miami slips to top of round 3, I'd trade up for them in round 3. 

What do you guys think of Jordan Howard, RB out of IU? I feel he would be a great change of pace back behind Frank Gore. Would you trade up in round 3 for him if he is still there?

I am curious what you like about Artie Burns? I have watched tape, and haven't been too impressed. He was also below average at the combine especially on the on field drills.

I agree on Joshua Perry though I think he is going to be a difference maker. One of my personal favorite players in the draft.

2 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

Grigson has been involved in 4 drafts.     He's traded up in three of them.

-- 2012 up for Hilton.

-- 2013 up for Hughes

-- 2015 up for Parry.

He's two out of three,   but he IS willing to trade up.    He's clearly demonstrated that.

But.....

Trading up in the 2nd or 3rd round is often very, VERY expensive.    You're not moving up in the 2nd by trading a 7.      We don't have a 6 this year,   and we could move a LITTLE by trading a 5.    I'd assume that Grigson would be willing to do that,  you just don't move very far trading a 5.     As for trading anything more,  well,  I'd only say the Colts have a LOT of needs.

5 minutes ago, bap03Colts said:

We don't really have the picks to trade up this year. It would make sense if we had 8+ picks, but we're missing a 6th rounder as it is. I'd rather trade back and get more chances to hit on an impact player

We can't approach it like that. If you believe your team is short of a few play makers and one of them is out there, you go for it. Take Seattle Seahawks and Tyler Lockett last year for an example.

21 minutes ago, SDakColts said:

I am curious what you like about Artie Burns? I have watched tape, and haven't been too impressed. He was also below average at the combine especially on the on field drills.

I agree on Joshua Perry though I think he is going to be a difference maker. One of my personal favorite players in the draft.

Artie Burns is the type of raw talent, under good secondary tutelage like Pagano has, can be a better player than he is projected to be. At least till we manufacture a good pass rush, if we are going to be blitzing, we need to gather enough talent for press coverage to coach up and he is one of those.

Ideally, I'd like to trade down in the first and then use those extra picks to trade up for someone we're targeting in the midrounds. I'm still of the mindset that if Jaylon Smith drops into the midrounds, i'd trade a future pick for him. I think it's worth the risk. I know I'll catch some flak for that.

31 minutes ago, chad72 said:

We can't approach it like that. If you believe your team is short of a few play makers and one of them is out there, you go for it. Take Seattle Seahawks and Tyler Lockett last year for an example.

Rarely is there a "sure thing" in the draft. If we were to trade up and give up any mid round picks, we're hurting our chances of finding another Anderson, so to speak. I understand the "go get the playmakers whatever it takes" approach, but you can't leave the team with just a couple of draft picks

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

You know I like Howard but I really don't think we need to trade up for him.

10 hours ago, chad72 said:

If he was scared, he would not be doing things over and over again, striking some times and missing sometimes.

Yes it would.  His FA strategy is to wait till the dust settles and what has that got us, way overpaid, 30 year old + FAs.  The one FA Grigson did Day 1 deals, we get Lowery and Adams.  They cost wasn't that large, weren't big names, and was under the radar.  Both have played well.

Grigson's draft board is rigid or he drafts scared.  There are drafts where a good player has fallen and Grigson stays rigid to his board or he over pays to move up 4-5 spots to draft some one he could have stayed put and still got.

Either way, IMO, Grigson is scared.  Ii amazes me that when Grigson gets it right, he doesn't stay with that way.

29 minutes ago, gacker65 said:

Yes it would.  His FA strategy is to wait till the dust settles and what has that got us, way overpaid, 30 year old + FAs.  The one FA Grigson did Day 1 deals, we get Lowery and Adams.  They cost wasn't that large, weren't big names, and was under the radar.  Both have played well.

Grigson's draft board is rigid or he drafts scared.  There are drafts where a good player has fallen and Grigson stays rigid to his board or he over pays to move up 4-5 spots to draft some one he could have stayed put and still got.

Either way, IMO, Grigson is scared.  Ii amazes me that when Grigson gets it right, he doesn't stay with that way.

What in the world are you talking about?!?

In 2013, '14 and 15,  when the Colts had money,  most of Grigson's signings were on Day 1 and Day 2.   We were considered major players.      He did NOT "wait until the dust settles"     Where does this come from?

And then,  you compound that mistake talking about Day 1 deals for Lowery and Adams?     Day One?!?

We got both guys a month or two after FA started?       How did you manage to get this completely backwards?

EDIT NOTE:    Just double checked,  the Colts signed Lowery on April 3rd of last year....   about 3 weeks after FA opened....   and we signed Adams in mid-JUNE, about 3 MONTHS after FA opened.

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

In 2013, '14 and 15,  when the Colts had money,  most of Grigson's signings were on Day 1 and Day 2.   We were considered major players.      He did NOT "wait until the dust settles"     Where does this come from?

And then,  you compound that mistake talking about Day 1 deals for Lowery and Adams?     Day One?!?

We got both guys a month or two after FA started?       How did you manage to get this completely backwards?

EDIT NOTE:    Just double checked,  the Colts signed Lowery on April 3rd of last year....   about 3 weeks after FA opened....   and we signed Adams in mid-JUNE, about 3 MONTHS after FA opened.

Well said, just saw his post and yours. Talk about factually incorrect. 

22 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thank you for the catch.  Wrote it at 3 am this morning. 

36 minutes ago, gacker65 said:

Thank you for the catch.  Wrote it at 3 am this morning. 

No worries.    Sorry if I was too hard on you.     If I had a dollar for every questionable post I've written in the middle of the night.....    I'd be FILTHY RICH!!

Sometimes I re-read my own stuff and wonder what in the world was I thinking?!?

Hey,  it happens.....   

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2016 at 0:50 PM, chad72 said:

Artie Burns is the type of raw talent, under good secondary tutelage like Pagano has, can be a better player than he is projected to be. At least till we manufacture a good pass rush, if we are going to be blitzing, we need to gather enough talent for press coverage to coach up and he is one of those.

Artie Burns reminds me of Sean Smith length wise and the way he moves.  He's just shorter.  The speed is what you want to see for a guy on the outside and he's a really good athlete.  People say he has average tape which is a bit puzzling to me considering he had 6 interceptions.  What is average about that?