Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson is doing a fine job

danlhart87

1 hour ago, gacker65 said:

That is like saying That, what I make this year is going to effect what you make next year.  Include into that your employer is going to have a 15 million more for salaries next year.

As was pointed out to me,  Ertz and Kelce both got extensions and raises a couple of weeks ago.  This could have had an impact on what Allen got. 

All the more reason we didn't get screwed on the Allen deal though. We had a higher cap league wide and signed a comparable player to a contract comparable to last year's cap. Should have cost us more by your logic, it didn't. Therefore it's not that bad of a contract. Am I worried about Allens injury history? You bet. But I think he better fits chuds system as opposed to Fleener so we kept him. If he doesn't get injured he's worth the money. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Dustin said:

Yeah hopefully we can use the draft to come away with a staring guard, starting center,, starting cb, and edge rusher and ILb. Also while grabbing a #2 RB, a #2 QB and depth at safety, 

I would be happy if they could get 2 starters from the draft.  3 or 4 is kind of pushing it.  I highly doubt that happens.  However, I do think we will wait til the dust settles and sign a veteran late Spring or Early Summer who may be able to start on the OL.  I pray that D'joun Smith, can possibly start this year, but he didn't get much of a chance last year, and certainly didn't prove anything.  I still think he is a little young so perhaps a veteran CB later on would be fine.

I think our top 2 picks will be OL and OLB, depending on who is available when we pick, it could go either way.  One thing is for sure, if ANYTHING besides OL, OLB, or CB is picked within the first 2 rounds, I will be hop back on the can Grigson bandwagon lol

4 hours ago, gacker65 said:

You are correct about Ertz and Kelce being signed a couple a weeks ago.  I had forgotten about them.

With that said, I still believe by signing Allen on the first day  of FA, his salary set the market for TEs.  The salaries for TEs signed yesterday seems to bear that out.

wha?  How could you possibly still believe that Grigson set the market for TEs with Allen's contract when  both Ertz and Kelce were signed prior to that?  So you don't believe that the contracts of Ertz nor Kelce had anything to do with Allen's contract, but Allen's contract did affect all TEs signed after him????

:explode:

22 hours ago, MPStack said:

This team fooled everyone before last season started. It has a lot of holes to fill. The defense is soft and has a weak O-line. To many things to fix in one off season. I have know problem with Grigs not over spending on these FA`s. However, his draft needs to be spot on.

you got that right. Probably draft a TE in round one tho.

Rule # 1: You can not 100% predict draft pick success, injury, sudden retirement, decline, poor scheme fit and so on.

Rule # 2: Any player wants guaranties: via contract with a lot of money OR via contract with a lot of dead money.

Contract with a lot of money is not a bad idea, contract with a lot of potential dead money is.

22 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I'm a firm believer in building through the draft. I'm pretty confident after last years debacle of signing countless old FAs Grigson took a step back this year.

The contracts that most have signed are WAY overpaid and would completely cripple this team!

The draft is certainly the way to go!

Building through the draft is a new idea? lmao

Really, after all the FA and draft disasters of the Irsay/Grigson era, the cupboard is rather bare in the short term.
 Save the $$ for next year or after, and develop our young players. A good plan.
 2018... or bust.
 More Ugly football! I lookin' for a big comeback season for Cantstanzio.

Grigson's first round picks:

Luck  (basically a given)

Werner

(Trent Richardson trade)

Dorsett

While we needed Luck, we could have done without Richardson, Werner, and Dorsett.  I think Dorsett will be good but going BPA when you have PRESSING needs elsewhere may not be the way to go.  Go BPA with the position you NEED.

I'm seeing more mediocrity this season, but I'm sure that some will jump at the chance to use the word, "overreacting," or a mockery of the phrase, "the sky is falling," or "I'm laughing at everyone who thinks we should take a free agent on the first day."   Ok, fine with that but while building through the draft is good for tomorrow, FA looks at today.  

1 hour ago, Jason_S said:

wha?  How could you possibly still believe that Grigson set the market for TEs with Allen's contract when  both Ertz and Kelce were signed prior to that?  So you don't believe that the contracts of Ertz nor Kelce had anything to do with Allen's contract, but Allen's contract did affect all TEs signed after him????

:explode:

Correct.  What happened 2 weeks ago had no effect on Allen's contract.  If it did, we would have paid more, because both Ertz and Keice's extension paid more per year.

With what you suggested, Fleener and the TE signed today, would have gotten more per year.  

4 hours ago, gacker65 said:

Correct.  What happened 2 weeks ago had no effect on Allen's contract.  If it did, we would have paid more, because both Ertz and Keice's extension paid more per year.

With what you suggested, Fleener and the TE signed today, would have gotten more per year.  

Wow people are going to extreme, ridiculous lengths to criticize grigson. 

In the Grigson/Pagano era we are 41-23 in the Regular Season with a Final 4 appearance and 3-3 in the Playoffs. 2 Division Championships as well in 4 years = we have won the Division 50% of the time. It took Peyton 6 seasons just to win 1 Playoff game and Andrew has 3 already. Last I looked the Grigson/Pagano era has been Very Good (not Great, but Very Good) and 90% of teams would kill for a 4 year span like that. One thing I have learned over the last 4 seasons is we are a spoiled fanbase going by a lot of the Posts I read. If we don't win the SB than we are a failure is how most of our fanbase looks at things from what I read. It's really been like that since 2006. Only 1 team can win the SB so winning a SB is unlikely most years, just be glad we have won 1 because franchises like the Bills, Vikings, Eagles, Chargers, Bengals, Panthers all have been to SB's and Playoffs routinely and have been Very Good to Great franchises but have 0 SB wins to show for it.

6 hours ago, GwinnettColt said:

Grigson's first round picks:

Luck  (basically a given)

Werner

(Trent Richardson trade)

Dorsett

While we needed Luck, we could have done without Richardson, Werner, and Dorsett.  I think Dorsett will be good but going BPA when you have PRESSING needs elsewhere may not be the way to go.  Go BPA with the position you NEED.

I'm seeing more mediocrity this season, but I'm sure that some will jump at the chance to use the word, "overreacting," or a mockery of the phrase, "the sky is falling," or "I'm laughing at everyone who thinks we should take a free agent on the first day."   Ok, fine with that but while building through the draft is good for tomorrow, FA looks at today.  

Just commenting on the way you said something.  You make a criticism of drafting Dorsett because there were other pressing needs at the time.  But the drafting of Werner was out of need for  rush LB, considering that Mathis was not signed and Freeny was earning $14 million.  So I don't see how the GM can be criticized for drafting a pressing need one year, and also be criticized for not drafting a pressing need two years later.

And just to point out, TRich was traded for out of need.  VBallard was on IR I think, and Bradshaw who was hurt early too, and DBrown was dinged and their was no reliable RB on the roster at the time the trade was made.  The rest of the season was in question because the RBs were injured.

Also, while Dorsett may not have been a need, he sort of made Fleener expendable.  With either TY, Moncrief, and Dorsett having the possibility of lining up in the slot, it makes for a better down field option than Fleener, and will open up the underneath for DA.  Dorsett and Fleener are not directly comparable, but the ability to not have to spend $7 million on Fleener is significantly due to us now having three competent down field threats.

10 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Wow people are going to extreme, ridiculous lengths to criticize grigson. 

I don't know where this thought of yours came from, but okay, I can run with it.

I have made no bones about the fact that I don't like all of Grigson's player moves for the Colts.  I have give him the props for his good moves.  I stated in this thread and others, that though I wasn't happy about how much Allen got paid, I did agree with when the announcement was made.

I don't have to go to any lengths to criticize Grigson, as he gives me more than enough opportunities.  I normally don't post much either way.  I only call things as I see them.

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

Just commenting on the way you said something.  You make a criticism of drafting Dorsett because there were other pressing needs at the time.  But the drafting of Werner was out of need for  rush LB, considering that Mathis was not signed and Freeny was earning $14 million.  So I don't see how the GM can be criticized for drafting a pressing need one year, and also be criticized for not drafting a pressing need two years later.

And just to point out, TRich was traded for out of need.  VBallard was on IR I think, and Bradshaw who was hurt early too, and DBrown was dinged and their was no reliable RB on the roster at the time the trade was made.  The rest of the season was in question because the RBs were injured.

Also, while Dorsett may not have been a need, he sort of made Fleener expendable.  With either TY, Moncrief, and Dorsett having the possibility of lining up in the slot, it makes for a better down field option than Fleener, and will open up the underneath for DA.  Dorsett and Fleener are not directly comparable, but the ability to not have to spend $7 million on Fleener is significantly due to us now having three competent down field threats.

Werner was more fitting for a 4-3DE.  

Richardson wasn't worth a first round (and there was evidence to prove that at the time as he wasn't fresh out of college).  

While money is an issue, I don't believe that it was their intention to replace Fleener with Dorsett as Dorsett fits more into the TY HIlton category.  You pointed that out in your post.  Regardless, we still had pressing needs on both sides of the ball, especially with the O-line.    Wth the D, we had Mathis coming back and we didn't know if he would return to his old form, which he didn't seem to do so.

It's going to be an interesting draft.  I'm just hoping we don't go with the same old approach this time. 

I'll stick up for Grigson for the hell of it just pee people off haha He has Drafted Andrew, TY, Moncrief, Fleener, Allen, Parry, and Anderson. Has traded for Vontae for a bag of chips and acquired Adams, Jackson, and Gore through Free Agency. He also decided to re-sign Reggie Wayne in 2012 when he looked done which was critical for Andrew's maturity, Reggie played Great in 2012. All Good moves at worse, some Very Good, and a few of Great one's in there with Andrew, TY, and Vontae. He also just re-signed Vinatieri. I bet Vinatieri wins us at least 2 games next season.

3 hours ago, GwinnettColt said:

Werner was more fitting for a 4-3DE.  

Richardson wasn't worth a first round (and there was evidence to prove that at the time as he wasn't fresh out of college).  

While money is an issue, I don't believe that it was their intention to replace Fleener with Dorsett as Dorsett fits more into the TY HIlton category.  You pointed that out in your post.  Regardless, we still had pressing needs on both sides of the ball, especially with the O-line.    Wth the D, we had Mathis coming back and we didn't know if he would return to his old form, which he didn't seem to do so.

It's going to be an interesting draft.  I'm just hoping we don't go with the same old approach this time. 

Everybody agrees that two firsts for Werner and TRich were bad decisions.  I think primarily because they both are bad players, not necessarily because of a draft strategy issue. (Although, I would never use a first round pick on a RB).  Those decisions were player personnel evaluation issues, involving scouting and the coaches too, more so than a draft strategy flub, IMO. 

No matter what the strategy, BPA or filling a hole in the roster, selecting players that can actually play in the NFL is what really matters.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Everybody agrees that two firsts for Werner and TRich were bad decisions.  I think primarily because they both are bad players, not necessarily because of a draft strategy issue. (Although, I would never use a first round pick on a RB)That is a player personnel evaluation issue, involving scouting and the coaches too, more so than a draft strategy flub, IMO. 

No matter what the strategy, BPA or filling a hole in the roster, selecting players that can actually play in the NFL is what really matters.

For every bad move Grigson has made, I can counter it with a Good to Great one. I'm not a Grigson lover but he doesn't suck either. The only thing I am down on him about is he has failed building the O.Line but we have the Draft coming.