Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agency

optimusprimetime

Why does COLTS management continue to over pay or over value people.  Landry,  Art Jones, Andre Johnson, Erik Walden, Gosder Cherilus, RJF.....I like Dwayne Allen but I find it hard to believe he would have gotten that much any where else.  He is injury prone and now there is NO cap room for Fleener if they plan on helping both lines or CB during the offseason.  Grigs is not good with money!

8 minutes ago, optimusprimetime said:

Why does COLTS management continue to over pay or over value people.  Landry,  Art Jones, Andre Johnson, Erik Walden, Gosder Cherilus, RJF.....I like Dwayne Allen but I find it hard to believe he would have gotten that much any where else.  He is injury prone and now there is NO cap room for Fleener if they plan on helping both lines or CB during the offseason.  Grigs is not good with money!

He isn't injury prone and I have a feeling he will be used much differently moving forward in chuds offense

It kills me how people think that these players are going to re-sign with the Colts for peanuts because they love their team. The team evaluates the talent and has a number that they're willing to pay for that talent and character. The cap is going up in huge increments each and every year. Players are going to be getting "high" or "overpriced" contracts because quite simply there's more money to go around and these players and agents know it.

I hope Allen can stay healthy. He is a top flight TE when he is healthy and not being forced to be a full time blocker. IMO, he is easily the better player over Fleener.....just hope he spends more time on the field than the trainers table.

This is the post you expect from someone who unrealistically expects more output from lesser contracts. In other words, expects lesser players with smaller contracts to generally play better than good players with bigger contracts.  This is literally the opposite of supply and demand. It's the same as always taking the weakest horse and expecting a win. Just stop you nincompoop. 

1 hour ago, optimusprimetime said:

In fact,  Grigson is great with money.    It's one of his better qualities.

In case you haven't noticed the Colts have been one of the most active teams in free agency for the last three years.   

Where Grigson is poor is WHO he gives the money to.      But his contracts are built so that the Colts can get out of them quickly without too much damage to the team.     The Colts are not like many, many other teams that end up in salary cap heck for years.     Like the Ravens,  like the Saints,  like the Cowboys and too many other teams to count.

It's not that Grigson gives out bad contracts.     His contracts are often going out to the wrong players....    and there's a difference....

I think Allen's the better player.  With an improved OL he won't be asked to stay in and block as much.  And he's a fighter and much tougher player.  Chud will use him better than Pep.  Grigson does a great job structuring contracts.  I won't get too excited until I see the contract details.  Freeman has the same agent.  I would expect that deal soon. 

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Because he has had only one major injury.  

Allen has been dented and dinged badly the past two years.     Not enough to go on the IR,  but bad enough to impact his performance.     Part of his poor performance was clearly due to misuse from Pep and his offense and bad play calling.

But the other part was Allen was often a shell of himself even when he was on the field....

2 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

To be honest.... Grigson has been great with contracts and money management.

Maybe didn't get the best production out of the players but the cap situation and contracts have been fine.

In fact id argue its one of his strengths, definitely havent been handicapped by contracts & they are often situated to cut bait after a season or two with little ill affect...

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

In fact,  Grigson is great with money.    It's one of his better qualities.

In case you haven't noticed the Colts have been one of the most active teams in free agency for the last three years.   

Where Grigson is poor is WHO he gives the money to.      But his contracts are built so that the Colts can get out of them quickly without too much damage to the team.     The Colts are not like many, many other teams that end up in salary cap heck for years.     Like the Ravens,  like the Saints,  like the Cowboys and too many other teams to count.

It's not that Grigson gives out bad contracts.     His contracts are often going out to the wrong players....    and there's a difference....

Wow, where do I start on this post.  Good with money?  In ONE YEAR, he made the Colts the OLDEST team in the league!!!!.  Most of HIS FA signings will be gone before the season starts.  Aside from Luck & Hilton, his drafts are not making the team any better (evidenced by the record and the  O & D stats).  We had the top three cap dollars before last season's FA signings, and now we're near the bottom.  Please define for me what a "good" contact to an overpaid, over the hill, poor performing FA consists of.  I really need to hear this one.