Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

For Those Who Are Happy With Caldwell Returning (Incorrect Title)

theblueplague

Posted · Hidden by Peytongirl, January 17, 2012 - unnecessary
Hidden by Peytongirl, January 17, 2012 - unnecessary

As in "one and done"...no thanks.

been there, done that, got the hat, and the T-shirt, come to think of it.

As in "one and done"...no thanks.

been there, done that, got the hat, and the T-shirt, come to think of it.

No, as in 'get back on the badwagon' and forget your obcession with the head coach.

Dont let your hatred of the coach take away from your enjoyment of the team as a fan..

I dont know why fans do that

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That's nice. That's really all speculation on your part and there is no way to prove or disprove your guess. But that wasn't really the question. Do you think Saban was a good NFL coach?

Yes it's speculation and his NFL/NCAA results far outweigh Caldwell's NFL/NCAA results.

Yes I think he was a good NFL coach that would have turned around the Dolphins if he would have remained in place, and I would love to have him coaching the Colts as opposed to what we have had in place for 3 years. He had a once in a life time chance to go and coach one of the most storied college football programs and I don't blame him one bit for jumping at that chance. I also can view what he had to work with as opposed to what others have had to work with and 9 wins with Gus Freotte is a bigger milestone than being able to win with Peyton Manning. Of course these are two different scenarios. Saban was having to build the Dolphins, Caldwell took over team with all the pieces in place.

Again, Nick Saban is a better football coach than Jim Caldwell.

Yes it's speculation and his NFL/NCAA results far outweigh Caldwell's NFL/NCAA results.

Yes I think he was a good NFL coach that would have turned around the Dolphins if he would have remained in place, and I would love to have him coaching the Colts as opposed to what we have had in place for 3 years. He had a once in a life time chance to go and coach one of the most storied college football programs and I don't blame him one bit for jumping at that chance. I also can view what he had to work with as opposed to what others have had to work with and 9 wins with Gus Freotte is a bigger milestone than being able to win with Peyton Manning.

so Saban would have been a good coach given more time right?

Wow..Sounds like something I said about caldqwell..

In a rebuilding year Caldwell's being her or not is far less concern to me than what happens with player/personnel. I get that Caldwell is no Bilichick but who is? Maybe he has learned from his mistakes...I didn't see any clock management issues this year.

I can easily see 10-6 next season If Manning is OK and can start 16 times

But even if Manning never plays again. ..we'll do better than 2-14 next season.

this year was a fluke.

Not logical to blame it on the coach

In a rebuilding year Caldwell's being her or not is far less concern to me than what happens with player/personnel. I get that Caldwell is no Bilichick but who is? Maybe he has learned from his mistakes...I didn't see any clock management issues this year.

Great post...I'm also much more concerned with who the OC and DC are.

Great post...I'm also much more concerned with who the OC and DC are.

Our on-field player-OC wears No.18 and he'll be back next season...

and Steve Spagnola would be an excellent defensive co-ordinator.

We'd ned to grab comebody's special team coach...and we're back n the block.

I'm very optimistic

and there's a three insult limit. :shout:

There's a cover charge if you want more :2c:

You and MCD and your 'insults'.....You said "Reid has never been to a SB" to which I reply "get educated.......read a book" ...That is not an insult...

26-22 vs. 19-29.

Hmmmm...

26-22 in 3 consecutive years.... 2 years with GoAT at QB....

19-29 in 1999,2005,2007....none with Manning....

Do your wizard math OUM.......

When it comes to Caldwell, I don't see coaching brilliance. I can name several times when he actually cost us a game due to his poor decision making, and cannot name a time when I thought we won a game directly because of a decision that he made.

Let me give you a few examples:

In the Super Bowl against the Saints, it was clear that he was out-coached by Sean Payton. Coach Payton made a bold decision to go for an on-side kick after half time. That was a bold move and worked in his favor. That's an instance where if you are a Saint fan, you can say that you won that game because of coaching.

This weekend, the Forty Niners were trailing the Saints in the fourth quarter. They ran a bootleg, which caught everyone off gaurd, and they scored on that play. It was a brilliant play call. You can argue that the Niner's won due to their coaching.

When have we won because of a coaching decision by our coaching staff?

Also, the argument that the players like Caldwell is not a good arguement. We as Colts fans can see that Norv Turner is not a good head coach, right? However, the players want to keep him in SD. It's because people don't like change.

So which ones of the offensive plays are Caldwell's calls and which are Manning's calls you don't know only they do half of the time so it's impossible to say which one of those plays are planned by which. So no I can' tell you which were Caldwell's call but that doesn't mean you can claim that all of the good calls were Manning's and the bad ones were Caldwell's

Our on-field player-OC wears No.18 and he'll be back next season...

and Steve Spagnola would be an excellent defensive co-ordinator.

We'd ned to grab comebody's special team coach...and we're back n the block.

I'm very optimistic

Good call...should have added ST coach as well. Not really sure what to think about Clyde right now. I wasn't impressed this year, but he has received praise from other NFL personnel/former players for being a really solid coach.

Sure they can.. 16 wins is more than 3 losses, but Jim Caldwell's negatives are far more than Jim Caldwell's positives.. I know you have trouble comprehending things and that will stump you.

Your simplistic approach of Colts 16-3, Caldwell coach of the Colts = Caldwell great coach doesn't hold much water... Zero logic! That is on par with the Dilfer with a ring being a better quarterback than Marino without one. Illogical.

It's quite simple Caldwell has had 2 great years he took a team to being basically unbeaten in his rookie year as a HC and had the guts to rest our starters when most of the fans wanted them to go for the unbeaten season and go to the super bowl. Also I fined it interesting how people say he got out coached in the Sb despite our receivers dropping a lot but so that all the wins against some of the best minds in football weren't on him. I know our season records have gotten worse but so have our injuries. He got us to the play-offs with as battered team as you will see and we narrowly lost to a team that got to the championship match. This year we lost all three of our captains one being Manning and had a bad year yes but our team didn't give up and stressed you out about losing the 1st pick with our only proper leader left being Saturday so yes Caldwell is a leader. You don't need to get emotional to do this how did that work for Haley and Ryan when they team was under pressure. He kept us going and restored some honour to this franchise. So yes has achievements over the last 3 years means he deserves a chance to prove himself once more even if it's just one more year.

All I want us Caldwell to appoint himself as offensive co-ordinator and fire the one we've got so its only him and Manning and Hire a good big name defensive co-ordinator (Spags, Del rio or Singletary)

So which ones of the offensive plays are Caldwell's calls and which are Manning's calls you don't know only they do half of the time so it's impossible to say which one of those plays are planned by which. So no I can' tell you which were Caldwell's call but that doesn't mean you can claim that all of the good calls were Manning's and the bad ones were Caldwell's

I like your screen name

With that being said, the only thing we can do is base Caldwell without Manning then yes?

Manning without Caldwell....117-59

Manning w/ Caldwell ............24-8

Caldwell without Manning.....2-14 (26-63ncaa)

sooooo.................

You are absolutely right about that, which is why I was very careful not to take that approach. I understand a big portion of our offense is in the hands of Manning, however, this year it was not. This year I did not see anything that slightly resembled good coaching. It was confusing to me that we knew Manning wasn't going to play and our game plan was to throw the ball as much as we did. And we did this continously, with Collins, then Painter, and then Orlovsky. None of these QB's should have thrown as much as they did. We kep the same offense had hoped that these sub-par QB's could run Manning's offense. That's poor coaching. Look at Denver. A Quarter of the way through the season they changed QBs. With the QB change came a whole new style of offense, which helped them into the play offs. That's good coaching.

With that being said, the only thing we can do is base Caldwell without Manning then yes?

Manning without Caldwell....117-59

Manning w/ Caldwell ............24-8

Caldwell without Manning.....2-14 (26-63ncaa)

sooooo.................

so that means next year we go back to 24-8...by your numbers.

good news.. I knew you'd see it my way.

It's quite simple Caldwell has had 2 great years he took a team to being basically unbeaten in his rookie year as a HC and had the guts to rest our starters when most of the fans wanted them to go for the unbeaten season and go to the super bowl. Also I fined it interesting how people say he got out coached in the Sb despite our receivers dropping a lot but so that all the wins against some of the best minds in football weren't on him. I know our season records have gotten worse but so have our injuries. He got us to the play-offs with as battered team as you will see and we narrowly lost to a team that got to the championship match. This year we lost all three of our captains one being Manning and had a bad year yes but our team didn't give up and stressed you out about losing the 1st pick with our only proper leader left being Saturday so yes Caldwell is a leader. You don't need to get emotional to do this how did that work for Haley and Ryan when they team was under pressure. He kept us going and restored some honour to this franchise. So yes has achievements over the last 3 years means he deserves a chance to prove himself once more even if it's just one more year.

All I want us Caldwell to appoint himself as offensive co-ordinator and fire the one we've got so its only him and Manning and Hire a good big name defensive co-ordinator (Spags, Del rio or Singletary)

It's impossible to deserve year 4 when you didn't deserve year 1. One more year would just be a waste to the franchise and they could make a quality hire that would allow for them to move forward as opposed to treading water with a lame duck coach for another year.

You and MCD and your 'insults'.....You said "Reid has never been to a SB" to which I reply "get educated.......read a book" ...That is not an insult...

26-22 in 3 consecutive years.... 2 years with GoAT at QB....

19-29 in 1999,2005,2007....none with Manning....

Do your wizard math OUM.......

'

Trav..You also said 'You are THICK'....by that's not an insult. that's hyperbole..

t

Posted · Hidden by Peytongirl, January 17, 2012 - unnecessary
Hidden by Peytongirl, January 17, 2012 - unnecessary

You. Are. THICK.

Caldwells firing has nothing to do with emotion, it has everything to do with better options being available...

I don't care about 2-14, I don't care about 14-0.... I care about watching my coach make the right calls, getting gutsy, doing something of value to put his team in position to win. Win. Loss. Dont care, as long as he is making an attempt to do something other than the mundane or status quo....

What the players say doesnt matter. They will always say 'the right thing'. Its how things work.

There are plenty of names I can throw out that I would prefer over Caldwell, I didnt realize I needed to list them all for you. But for the sake of argument, all those guys you mentioned have done more with less than JC. So we can start there.

THICK'

I knew i gained a few pounds..

Its Okay to be insulting.....you're a fan.

Yes I think he was a good NFL coach that would have turned around the Dolphins if he would have remained in place, and I would love to have him coaching the Colts as opposed to what we have had in place for 3 years. He had a once in a life time chance to go and coach one of the most storied college football programs and I don't blame him one bit for jumping at that chance. I also can view what he had to work with as opposed to what others have had to work with and 9 wins with Gus Freotte is a bigger milestone than being able to win with Peyton Manning. Of course these are two different scenarios. Saban was having to build the Dolphins, Caldwell took over team with all the pieces in place.

So Saban was hindered by what he had to work with, but Caldwell wasn't? That is laughable.

Saban was a horrible NFL coach. He is, however, an excellent college coach.

It's impossible to deserve year 4 when you didn't deserve year 1. One more year would just be a waste to the franchise and they could make a quality hire that would allow for them to move forward as opposed to treading water with a lame duck coach for another year.

A lame duck who unless the Pats win the superbowl will of got his team to the playoffs as many times us Bellichick in the last 3 years and will have a better or the same playoff record

Not trying to get into an argument here, but how exactly did he restore honor to the team? I fail to see how a 2-14 season that had a lot of people around the league wondering throughout most of the year if we were purposely tanking to get the #1 pick is honorable. And why did we need to restore honor, when did we lose it in the first place?

To your other points, I (and many others) believe that Caldwell was just riding Dungy's team to the Super Bowl in his first season, and as for last season, that was more Peyton than JC. Same kind of thing happened in Tampa when Dungy was fired there. Gruden took over and won the Super Bowl. Then they steadily declined until he was replaced. I think that's what's going on here. JC isn't the reason for the positives that you mention, he's just there.

'

Trav..You also said 'You are THICK'....by that's not an insult. that's hyperbole..

Once again, not an insult. You showing repeated lack of comprehension ability would pretty much verify it.

Me having curly hair means I have curly hair, not an insult, its just what it is.

You showing lack of comprehension=thick.....Your incorrectly saying Reid has never been to a SB=read a book, get educated....

If you call me arrogant, thats not an insult, thats what I am....

Probably..but but for our team next year...

Once again, not an insult. You showing repeated lack of comprehension ability would pretty much verify it.

Me having curly hair means I have curly hair, not an insult, its just what it is.

You showing lack of comprehension=thick.....Your incorrectly saying Reid has never been to a SB=read a book, get educated....

If you call me arrogant, thats not an insult, thats what I am....

You can be insulting and arrogant.

You are a fan...

..and you'll still be a fan when we're getting set for the playoffs next year in Indy

So Saban was hindered by what he had to work with, but Caldwell wasn't? That is laughable.

Saban was a horrible NFL coach. He is, however, an excellent college coach.

Do you have an oldunclemark? You share the same some of the same traits..But i'll be nice and leave that alone.

Of course Caldwell was hindered by not having Manning, but Caldwell did make decisions of what offense to run, and how to run it and who to play and so on. Caldwell's decisions made this season worse than it could have been.

Nick Saban is a far better football coach than Jim Caldwell. Plain and simple.

A lame duck who unless the Pats win the superbowl will of got his team to the playoffs as many times us Bellichick in the last 3 years and will have a better or the same playoff record

What part of Belichick took the Patriots to the playoffs in 11,10,09, do you not understand. 3/3. We didn't make the playoffs this year for those of you blinded by the love of Jim Caldwell.

It is pure ignorance to compare Belichick to Caldwell.

No, as in 'get back on the badwagon' and forget your obcession with the head coach.

Dont let your hatred of the coach take away from your enjoyment of the team as a fan..

I dont know why fans do that

I don't hate him. Matter of fact, never met him. He's a just lousy coach and produces a lousy team.

I will still root for them, and cheer them on. I'm just gonna be $7000 richer doing it. Ya don't have to have your butt in the seat, right???

I'll take that money and buy a new wide screen HD TV and NFL network, and watch from my leather chair, won't have to buy $7 beers, my lovely sweetie and I will have a great time watching with my daughter and her family in the sunny weather of Florida, all of us all dressed up in Colts gear.

I don't hate him. Matter of fact, never met him. He's a just lousy coach and produces a lousy team.

I will still root for them, and cheer them on. I'm just gonna be $7000 richer doing it. Ya don't have to have your butt in the seat, right???

I'll take that money and buy a new wide screen HD TV and NFL network, and watch from my leather chair, won't have to buy $7 beers, my lovely sweetie and I will have a great time watching with my daughter and her family in the sunny weather of Florida, all of us all dressed up in Colts gear.

Well, looks like that 7k might be going back into tickets.. :)

Do you have an oldunclemark? You share the same some of the same traits..But i'll be nice and leave that alone.

If you want to suggest that I am posting as two different people, go ahead. I've noticed truth has very little to do with your posting.
Of course Caldwell was hindered by not having Manning, but Caldwell did make decisions of what offense to run, and how to run it and who to play and so on. Caldwell's decisions made this season worse than it could have been.
I don't think you understand the role of a HC in the Colts organization at all. Like I've said before; if the Colts keep him I can understand. If Grigson wants a different coach, I can understand that as well.
Nick Saban is a far better football coach than Jim Caldwell. Plain and simple.
NO it's not plain and simple. Saban was horrible in the NFL, he knew it that's why he went back to the college ranks.
It is pure ignorance to compare Belichick to Caldwell.

Not really. BB looked like a mediocre HC his first time around.

If you want to suggest that I am posting as two different people, go ahead. I've noticed truth has very little to do with your posting.

I don't think you understand the role of a HC in the Colts organization at all. Like I've said before; if the Colts keep him I can understand. If Grigson wants a different coach, I can understand that as well.

NO it's not plain and simple. Saban was horrible in the NFL, he knew it that's why he went back to the college ranks.

Not really. BB looked like a mediocre HC his first time around.

No, I'm not suggesting anything. I just said that the two of you seem to have trouble with reading comprehension. Then obviously you haven't read many of my posts. Because I'm not the one that throws stuff against the wall in hopes that it sticks..

I understand the role of HC just fine and in my opinion we could have had a much better one. Now we will.

No, he had a once in a lifetime chance to coach at one of the best college jobs, and took it. Neither of us could predict what he would have done if he had remained in Miami, but I feel he would have had success. Good coaches do that.

Amazing, just simply amazing at how some view Caldwell as this legend.