Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

For Those Who Are Happy With Caldwell Returning (Incorrect Title)

theblueplague

Then Caldwell is as good as anybody...That's not what your saying, FJC....is it?

I think there is an obcession with NFL coaches that they are all evil losers...

..and that only players win

Every coach in every town has a squad of people who hate them

Check out a Green bay chat room this week.

they want the head coach hung....

Dont fall into that trap./..

We have holes in the lineup.....Caldwell didnt cause them

I'm saying it would take a valiant effort for a coach to lose with Peyton Manning in his prime. We have holes in our lineup that Peyton Manning covered up and allowed the Colts to win in the regular season. These holes are harder to hide in the playoffs and are the # 1 reason for our disappointing success in the post season.

The difference between Brady & Manning's post season records isn't the quarterback play. It's the teams/coaches around him. Brady has an elite/aggressive coach. Manning never has.

So yes Jim Caldwell could be replaced with nearly anyone with coaching experience and we would still win with a healthy Peyton Manning.

We deserve a coach that is a difference maker. We have one, but I'm talking about a positive difference maker and not a negative one.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

1) He hasn't been retained yet.

2) There are numerous 'I hate Caldwell' threads already in place, yet some of the haters find it necessary to start new ones, seemingly to impose their hatred on the rest of the group.

3) Most threads these days end up being arguments about this topic. Everyone gets it, and it's getting old.

4) Tell me if I'm exaggerating, but I haven't seen many, if any, Caldwell lovers, as some of the haters suggest. For some reason the haters think that those who don't share in their hatred are staunch supporters. They seem to believe the topic is purely black and white, when the fact of the matter is that there's plenty of grey. I suppose this is just one trickle down from 9/11 when Bush declared to our allies that either you're with us or you're against us. That attitude seems to spread like wildfire over topics to which it's inapplicable, and unnecessary.

If we keep Jim caldwell...BUC..the terrorists win!!!!!

:argh:

I'm saying it would take a valiant effort for a coach to lose with Peyton Manning in his prime. We have holes in our lineup that Peyton Manning covered up and allowed the Colts to win in the regular season. These holes are harder to hide in the playoffs and are the # 1 reason for our disappointing success in the post season.

The difference between Brady & Manning's post season records isn't the quarterback play. It's the teams/coaches around him. Brady has an elite/aggressive coach. Manning never has.

So yes Jim Caldwell could be replaced with nearly anyone with coaching experience and we would still win with a healthy Peyton Manning.

We deserve a coach that is a difference maker. We have one, but I'm talking about a positive difference maker and not a negative one.

16-3...10-7...2-14

How do you KNOW Caldwell didnt have anything to do with the 16-3 or 10-7 but everything to do with the 2-14?

That's not logic gents....

It also suggests we could go 16-3 with JC next season, right?

Id take that.

Meanwhile, the Packers OC will get an interview with the BUCS (SI). We are stuck with Irsays' mind boggling decision. He must think JC is the greatest coach on earth. This may have Mannings and Dunguy's hand prints all over such decision. The new GM Failed already by not wanting a new coach.

Meanwhile, the Packers OC will get an interview with the BUCS (SI). We are stuck with Irsays' mind boggling decision. He must think JC is the greatest coach on earth. This may have Mannings and Dunguy's hand prints all over such decision. The new GM Failed already by not wanting a new coach.

So now,,the new GM is bad because he didnt fire a coach who took the team he just inherited to the Super Bowl 3 years ago?

As Chris Carter would say....Come on man!!

Did you question Caldwell's coaching when we were 14-0./...in 2009

or when we won 4 in a row to make the playoffs in 2010..

Did you really?

I'm juts saying..give him a year with Manning..

Caldwell plus Manning has always equalled playoffs.

Yes. I did.

Manning+chad bratzke= playoffs too.

How about this: Manning=playoffs.

I'm not a Caldwell "basher" but the guy simply doesn't bring anything. The one consistent thing said by 'proCaldwell' is the players like/play for him. It's never he has a great game plan or he really outschemed coach A, or he made an excellent position swap etc...And to me that's a big problem.....

As for the Polian "iron fist"...if Polian truly called all the shots and none of it was Csldwells fault, fine, so be it. But that tells me my coach is a coward and shouldn't be coaching anyway. So Polian calls the shots and Caldwell really is just a coward puppet. Or Caldwell actually coaches, in which case, the results are horrendous and he needs fired. So I guess in my opinion Caldwell is A:Puppet/coward or B: A bad coach.

Did you really?

I'm not ready to give up playoff berths..just because folks want more anger and emotion...

The regular season spanned 16 games in 2009. 14-0 was only a part of the season. The rest of the story is we went 0-2 after that to finish the season and lost in the SB due to poor coaching as the most critical failing. Most would agree that our great 14-0 start was more attributable to the talents of Manning and the team as opposed to a great coaching job by Caldwell.

What about when we lost 4 out of 5 games during one stretch in 2010 just prior to the 4 game win streak? What sort of coach do you believe he was during that stretch?

Caldwell has had two years with Manning and one without him. He has proven to be a below average head coach in both instances.

Changes happen all the time in the coaching ranks because the NFL is a win now bottom line business. We are in a very competitive environment and we need the best whether it is management, coaching, ownership or players. Being a nice guy aside, we can’t afford to keep the likes of a Jim Caldwell if we want to compete for and win the Super Bowl.

Yes. I did.

Manning+chad bratzke= playoffs too.

How about this: Manning=playoffs.

I'm not a Caldwell "basher" but the guy simply doesn't bring anything. The one consistent thing said by 'proCaldwell' is the players like/play for him. It's never he has a great game plan or he really outschemed coach A, or he made an excellent position swap etc...And to me that's a big problem.....

As for the Polian "iron fist"...if Polian truly called all the shots and none of it was Csldwells fault, fine, so be it. But that tells me my coach is a coward and shouldn't be coaching anyway. So Polian calls the shots and Caldwell really is just a coward puppet. Or Caldwell actually coaches, in which case, the results are horrendous and he needs fired. So I guess in my opinion Caldwell is A:Puppet/coward or B: A bad coach.

why did you questiion caldwell's skills when we were 14-0?

Did you question Dungy's skills when when was 14-0.

What about Belichek's

16-3...10-7...2-14

How do you KNOW Caldwell didnt have anything to do with the 16-3 or 10-7 but everything to do with the 2-14?

That's not logic gents....

It also suggests we could go 16-3 with JC next season, right?

Id take that.

First of all I didn't say that. Secondly, it is clear on what makes this team click. Finally, It has also been clear what holds this team back.

With Caldwell as our HC next year we will probably be a 8-8 team at best since I dont think Peyton will be back next year and we will be starting Luck from day 1. We should be able to get another very good player in the 1st round next year based on our draft position.

Plus hopefully we just brought Caldwell back since he had 1 year left on his contract and then we release him next offseason and go with someone deserving.

Did you really?

I'm not ready to give up playoff berths..just because folks want more anger and emotion...

The regular season spanned 16 games in 2009. 14-0 was only a part of the season. The rest of the story is we went 0-2 after that to finish the season and lost in the SB due to poor coaching as the most critical failing. Most would agree that our great 14-0 start was more attributable to the talents of Manning and the team as opposed to a great coaching job by Caldwell.

What about when we lost 4 out of 5 games during one stretch in 2010 just prior to the 4 game win streak? What sort of coach do you believe he was during that stretch?

Caldwell has had two years with Manning and one without him. He has proven to be a below average head coach in both instances.

Changes happen all the time in the coaching ranks because the NFL is a win now bottom line business. We are in a very competitive environment and we need the best whether it is management, coaching, ownership or players. Being a nice guy aside, we can’t afford to keep the likes of a Jim Caldwell if we want to compete for and win the Super Bowl.

First of all I didn't say that. Secondly, it is clear on what makes this team click. Finally, It has also been clear what holds this team back.

You did say that FJC.......you said and I quote...............

"Yes Jim Caldwell could be replaced with nearly anyone with coaching experience and we would still win with a healthy Peyton Manning.

We deserve a coach that is a difference maker. We have one, but I'm talking about a positive difference maker and not a negative one."

That blames Caldwell for the losses gives manning credit for winning, right?

It also suggests that since its all Manning anyway.,.that we could win with JC.

Right?

Did I misread that?

The likes of Caldwell'

14-0 ans 16-3 are the entire season...

4-0 in December in must-win games with 15 boys on the DL in 2010....

You have to give Caldwell SOME credit

Tell that to Phil Jackson...

He needed to ashcan Jordan and Kobe so he could

'show his coaching skills"

He should have been FIRED!!!!! :hissy:

That is absolutely not true. Jordan and Kobe needed Phil to win those championships. Jordan needed Pippen more so than he needed Phil but remember that the Lakers absolutely did not win until Phil got there.

why did you questiion caldwell's skills when we were 14-0?

Did you question Dungy's skills when when was 14-0.

What about Belichek's

Is 14-0 all you have? You consistently bring it up in reference to Caldwell. I get it. It was a good run. But you wanna talk about cherry picking....I'll give you the 14-0. Do I get the remaining 38-85 record? Or do those not matter now?

Bet the 49ers are head over heels that they pulled the plug on Singletary. Some said he wasn't given enough time but I'm willing to bet if he'd been RETAINED they WOULDN'T be where they are now. I'll say again some guys are just NOT head coaching material. You can keep FORCING a square peg into a circle ALL you want but it WON'T fit. Now if you have to hire all NEW coaches around him instead of the buddies HE chose says it all. He did it HIS way at Wake Forest and HAD to be fired based on PERFORMANCE as a head coach. If Caldwell IS kept alot will have to do with Peyton coming back because I think that's who he's comfortable with. Who wouldn't like a coach that let him RUN the practice as reported by Troy A and Joe Buck a few years back. Troy said on air that he'd NEVER seen anything like it where the coaches just stood around and LET the star qb run the show and the backup get NO reps. Hope Caldwell's gone by the time Luck or whoever takes over after Manning... :facepalm:

Is 14-0 all you have? You consistently bring it up in reference to Caldwell. I get it. It was a good run. But you wanna talk about cherry picking....I'll give you the 14-0. Do I get the remaining 38-85 record? Or do those not matter now?

10-7..4-0 in December in 2010..

..,signed..Colts fan!!

Then Caldwell is as good as anybody...That's not what your saying, FJC....is it?

I think there is an obcession with NFL coaches that they are all evil losers...

..and that only players win

Every coach in every town has a squad of people who hate them

Check out a Green bay chat room this week.

they want the head coach hung....

Dont fall into that trap./..

We have holes in the lineup.....Caldwell didnt cause them

Off topic, but look how many people wanted Jim O'brien fired from the Pacers, but he was Bird's friend and kept too long, and once the cord was finally cut and Vogel took over,well check the results, coaching MATTERS.

Bet the 49ers are head over heels that they pulled the plug on Singletary. Some said he wasn't given enough time but I'm willing to bet if he'd been RETAINED they WOULDN'T be where they are now. I'll say again some guys are just NOT head coaching material. You can keep FORCING a square peg into a circle ALL you want but it WON'T fit. Now if you have to hire all NEW coaches around him instead of the buddies HE chose says it all. He did it HIS way at Wake Forest and HAD to be fired based on PERFORMANCE as a head coach. If Caldwell IS kept alot will have to do with Peyton coming back because I think that's who he's comfortable with. Who wouldn't like a coach that let him RUN the practice as reported by Troy A and Joe Buck a few years back. Troy said on air that he'd NEVER seen anything like it where the coaches just stood around and LET the star qb run the show and the backup get NO reps. Hope Caldwell's gone by the time Luck or whoever takes over after Manning... :facepalm:

How'd that coaching change in Minnesota last year work out??

10-7..4-0 in December in 2010..

..,signed..Colts fan!!

O ok. That makes sense. In 2010 he won some games. That's why hes a good HC.

Listen I am all ears. Im more than willing to give Czldwell credit/support. But when your argument is he did well in 2010. Well that just doesn't work. If you want to point out some things you feel he exceled at I'd be happy to look, but until you come with some quality points/counter points your opinion is worthless.

The GM could fire Caldwell halfway through the season for all we know. As of right now because we still have a lot of work to do it was a great decision. Please everyone just be patient because this past season was a blessing. We need to stick together on this as fans! We get top draft choices in each round of the draft. Irsay listened when you called for Polians head lol

You did say that FJC.......you said and I quote...............

"Yes Jim Caldwell could be replaced with nearly anyone with coaching experience and we would still win with a healthy Peyton Manning.

We deserve a coach that is a difference maker. We have one, but I'm talking about a positive difference maker and not a negative one."

That blames Caldwell for the losses gives manning credit for winning, right?

It also suggests that since its all Manning anyway.,.that we could win with JC.

Right?

Did I misread that?

It seems there were some comprehension issues. There is a far cry in saying that he had nothing to do with something(which I didn't say), and the statements you quoted.

Yes I feel that any number if not most men that have been head coaches in this league would win with a healthy Peyton Manning in his prime. Caldwell is an example of that.

That doesn't say that I want the likes of Rich Kotite, Norv Turner, Jim Caldwell coaching the Colts.

So i'm not sure if you misread, or if you didn't comprehend what I said.

If Manning returns to health and if he is faced with the burden of having to overcome his own coaching staff to win, do I think he can do it? for the most part. We will likely win the division again, make the playoffs, and get sent home early.

I'd rather have a coach that propels the franchise forward as opposed to holding it back.

O ok. That makes sense. In 2010 he won some games. That's why hes a good HC.

Listen I am all ears. Im more than willing to give Czldwell credit/support. But when your argument is he did well in 2010. Well that just doesn't work. If you want to point out some things you feel he exceled at I'd be happy to look, but until you come with some quality points/counter points your opinion is worthless.

The arguement is that he did well his first two years and couldnt win with injure dplayers at key spots in 2011..

2 years - GOOD

oneyear BAD..

Change is a 50-50 proposition,,.not a guarantee of improvement

We will make the playoffs with Jim Caldwell as head coach next season.

Why do I say that?

Beacause we made the playoffs with Jim Caldwell and Peyton Manning in 2009 and 2010

that's why those 2 years matter..

What is the obcession with the head coach.?? How would another coach have won 9 games without Manning??

We were 2-14 because Peyton Manning didnt play and we didnt have a backup.

I thought we all understood that.

It seems there were some comprehension issues. There is a far cry in saying that he had nothing to do with something(which I didn't say), and the statements you quoted.

Yes I feel that any number if not most men that have been head coaches in this league would win with a healthy Peyton Manning in his prime. Caldwell is an example of that.

That doesn't say that I want the likes of Rich Kotite, Norv Turner, Jim Caldwell coaching the Colts.

So i'm not sure if you misread, or if you didn't comprehend what I said.

If Manning returns to health and if he is faced with the burden of having to overcome his own coaching staff to win, do I think he can do it? for the most part. We will likely win the division again, make the playoffs, and get sent home early.

I'd rather have a coach that propels the franchise forward as opposed to holding it back.

..and you believe that in 2009 and 2010..Jim Caldwell held back the franchise...and crippled us

..and we'd have been better off under .....lets say Lovie Smith?

..and you believe that in 2009 and 2010..Jim Caldwell held back the franchise...and crippled us

..and we'd have been better off under .....lets say Lovie Smith?

Yes I do.

As good or better.

I get why Irsay wanted to retain someone from the Dungy coaching tree. We just stuck with one of if not the worst branch on that tree.

My point is hat in Chicago..they hate Lovie Smith and feel they'd be in the Siuper Bowl with a REAL coach.

In Philadelphia..they believe that Andy Reid is the major problem and they'd be in the Super Bowl if they could only get rid of him...

In SD, they think their head coach is crippling the franchise..

In Oakland,,they feel their coach is the major reason they are not in the playoffsl..Its all his fault.

WE in Indy have a coach who reached the playoffs twice and the Super Bowl once.

You can say it was with Dungy's team but it was with Dungy's team that didnt make the Super Bowl in 2008.

the record shows we have a Super Bowl coach..

..and we handicap the future is if we dont let him coach the year after he lost his QB to injury?

I dont get it

With all due respect to everyone who makes this arguement.

Its not logical. Its just not.

Yes I do.

As good or better.

I get why Irsay wanted to retain someone from the Dungy coaching tree. We just stuck with one of if not the worst branch on that tree.

As you can tell,,,I live in the Chicago metro area.

there are Bears fans..lots of them..who swear (they probably are lying) publically that they want the Bears to lose every game until Smith is fired

because they do not believe the franchise can survive another 2 years (on his deal) of him coaching..

They feel they had a Super Bowl team this year..

..and that Lovie Smith is the sole reason they are not still playing..

Its irrational..but no more so that Indy fans hating JC.

Everybody hates their head coach......

Ours isnt bad....We'll be back in the playoffs next season with him...

The arguement is that he did well his first two years and couldnt win with injure dplayers at key spots in 2011..

2 years - GOOD

oneyear BAD..

Change is a 50-50 proposition,,.not a guarantee of improvement

We will make the playoffs with Jim Caldwell as head coach next season.

Why do I say that?

Beacause we made the playoffs with Jim Caldwell and Peyton Manning in 2009 and 2010

that's why those 2 years matter..

What is the obcession with the head coach.?? How would another coach have won 9 games without Manning??

We were 2-14 because Peyton Manning didnt play and we didnt have a backup.

I thought we all understood that.

So in 2009, 2010 you think Caldwell proved enough as a Head Coach to withstand a 2-14 record. Fair enough. I 100% disagree, but to each his own.

But simply 'making the playoffs' with Caldwell isn't good enough for me. We can make the playoffs with *insert name here* as long as Manning is playing, so why can't *insert name here* be the best of the best coaches? Or just simply a better coach.

Let me ask a very basic and simple question UncleMark.....What is it that Caldwell does? Do you feel he has excellent game plans? Good 2nd half adjustments? Players play for him? Name one instance to me where you said "Thank goodness we have Caldwell" because of a decision or play being made. Do you have any?

Your general rule is "Colts played good in 09-10 with Peyton an Caldwell"...Well in 09-10 I can find about 100 different scenarios where Peyton helped us achieve something. Can you with Caldwell?

As you can tell,,,I live in the Chicago metro area.

there are Bears fans..lots of them..who swear (they probably are lying) publically that they want the Bears to lose every game until Smith is fired

because they do not believe the franchise can survive another 2 years (on his deal) of him coaching..

They feel they had a Super Bowl team this year..

..and that Lovie Smith is the sole reason they are not still playing..

Its irrational..but no more so that Indy fans hating JC.

Everybody hates their head coach......

Ours isnt bad....We'll be back in the playoffs next season with him...

Ours is horrible. We might be back in the playoffs in spite of him. That will depend on the health of Manning. I certainly wouldn't want him and Clyde Christensen to stunt the growth of Andrew Luck if Manning isn't here..

A lot of places do hate the head coach. Some have reason. Some don't.

I live in Charlotte... That fan base acts like they were 10-6 with a bright future. They might have a brighter future but they weren't 10-6. There will likely come a time that they turn on Rivera. They turned on Fox, and both are far better coaches than Caldwell. Both ran defenses for years before taking over as HC. Both were qualified for the position as was Andy Reid, and Lovie Smith.

We have the worst head coach/staff in the NFL. The 54 guys wearing the horseshoe every Sunday deserve better.

I like the Pacers ownership they had the balls to fire O'Brien and got an young coach that was unknown and now look what the Pacer's are doing? Great Job to the Simons. .

I have no idea what is Irsay is thinking. I could careless about Caldwell and how nice he is, Who gives a flying leap if he is a nice guy. That does not change the fact that Caldwell sucks as a Coach. He just rode on Dungy horse. Caldwell did not earn the coaching job it was a gift.

With Caldwell as our HC next year we will probably be a 8-8 team at best since I dont think Peyton will be back next year and we will be starting Luck from day 1. We should be able to get another very good player in the 1st round next year based on our draft position.

Plus hopefully we just brought Caldwell back since he had 1 year left on his contract and then we release him next offseason and go with someone deserving.

Who would be deserving....Andy Reid? Marv Turner?

Anyone who chooses Painter as your starting QB -- much less kept him on the opening roster over Dan O. -- clearly may not be the best bet at evaluating talent and putting them in a position to win. Life is much easier for a HC when a guy like Manning is your starting QB -- remove him and you really get to see what qualifications a coach had. Other than the team not quitting on him in December -- what did he do? Clock management sucked....play calling sucked...choice of QB sucked...in game adjustments....well you ge the idea. If Manning comes back, I'm sure he'll hide many of these issues again....if not, well then Luck will get to start 3-13 and then the Colts will pick near the top of the draft again in 2013 and hopefully Caldwell will finally be gone.