Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL.com's Lance Zierlein's 1st R Mock (2.0)

6 hours ago, Gavin said:

Hard to pass up on Nkemdiche and Taylor Decker in that mock but I love the Floyd pick

Agree on Njemdiche and Decker but scratching my head on the Floyd part. Can you share with me were you think he can line up on Sunday's.

Im concerned he's to small and frail for edge (body type will not hold much more size), his speed will just get him pushed past QB and it over if a tackle get ahold of him. 

28 minutes ago, JRnINDY said:

Agree on Njemdiche and Decker but scratching my head on the Floyd part. Can you share with me were you think he can line up on Sunday's.

Im concerned he's to small and frail for edge (body type will not hold much more size), his speed will just get him pushed past QB and it over if a tackle get ahold of him. 

Nah he can put on about 10lbs-15lbs...He is listed anywhere from 6'2-6'4 and 231-232lbslbs. He isn't that far off physically I don't think. He has a quick first step.. He has some developing to do but he has high potential to be a great pass rusher. He was moved around a lot at Georgia so the numbers are not there but the potential is big

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

Nah he can put on about 10lbs-15lbs...He is listed anywhere from 6'2-6'4 and 231-232lbslbs. He isn't that far off physically I don't think. He has a quick first step.. He has some developing to do but he has high potential to be a great pass rusher. He was moved around a lot at Georgia so the numbers are not there but the potential is big

I think you and others are assuming that Floyd can put on the weight.

I think that's a big maybe....

Maybe he can and maybe he can't.

On top of that he's got to show that (A) he can keep the weight on,  and (B) if he can keep the weight on, he's got to show that he can be just as effective....     just as fast,  just as quick and explosive.....    with Floyd,   I'm not sure that's an automatic yes.....

It'll be interesting to see if he shows up at the combine with a higher weight and does well the way that the kid that Atlanta took last year (name escapes me?)  showed up heavier and just as fast.....  

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think you and others are assuming that Floyd can put on the weight.

I think that's a big maybe....

Maybe he can and maybe he can't.

On top of that he's got to show that (A) he can keep the weight on,  and (B) if he can keep the weight on, he's got to show that he can be just as effective....     just as fast,  just as quick and explosive.....    with Floyd,   I'm not sure that's an automatic yes.....

It'll be interesting to see if he shows up at the combine with a higher weight and does well the way that the kid that Atlanta took last year (name escapes me?)  showed up heavier and just as fast.....  

Vic Beasley from Atlanta. Floyd is significantly bigger then Beasley was coming into the Combine at 6'3-6'4" and is currently already listed at 231lbs (if accurate on his draft profile). Like you said we shall see but I'm not really concerned at all about it. I believe he will put on weight and will be fine

Hard to pass up Elliot or Decker in this scenario but Floyd would give our D a nice pass rush. Would also consider Billings, Butler or Alexander and really shocked that a few posters want Nkemdiche in the first. I would even be hesitant to take him with our second rounder. The guy takes games off and doesn't have a great arsenal of moves however that could be taught. 

11 hours ago, Gavin said:

Vic Beasley from Atlanta. Floyd is significantly bigger then Beasley was coming into the Combine at 6'3-6'4" and is currently already listed at 231lbs (if accurate on his draft profile). Like you said we shall see but I'm not really concerned at all about it. I believe he will put on weight and will be fine

Yeah Floyd in every sense, reminds me of Aldon Smith. He's got Smith's body type, which is good because Aldon was like 240 coming out and got up to 260. Floyd has a great frame that could support a max of 15 more lbs.

But I also look at our coaching changes. Our DC is a former LBs coach who coached some good ones, our new LB coach also has a good resume, and Krein is an excellent S&C coach. Indy is the perfect landing spot for a guy like Floyd. 

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah Floyd in every sense, reminds me of Aldon Smith. He's got Smith's body type, which is good because Aldon was like 240 coming out and got up to 260. Floyd has a great frame that could support a max of 15 more lbs.

But I also look at our coaching changes. Our DC is a former LBs coach who coached some good ones, our new LB coach also has a good resume, and Krein is an excellent S&C coach. Indy is the perfect landing spot for a guy like Floyd. 

Floyd is who I would like to get fills one of the biggest needs on D. I would take Spence but his past worries me. I am not a fan of drafting trouble 

I can't believe Billings doesn't go in the 1st a NT with rare speed and power at that position he could be a monster a play maker at the point of attack. i would love it if he fell to us in the 2nd. We need a DL that can get consistent pressure. 

9 hours ago, Superman said:

Some of these mocks are getting silly.

As for Floyd, I'll pass. 

After reading some scouting reports and watching some Georgia games I completely agree. Guy reminds me of Barkevious Mingo but dropped into coverage a little. His coverage skills were almost non existent though. The combine will be crucial to see how much weight he has added and to see if he hasn't lost any explosiveness. Much rather grab a D or O linemen.

3 hours ago, akcolt said:

Floyd is who I would like to get fills one of the biggest needs on D. I would take Spence but his past worries me. I am not a fan of drafting trouble 

I can't believe Billings doesn't go in the 1st a NT with rare speed and power at that position he could be a monster a play maker at the point of attack. i would love it if he fell to us in the 2nd. We need a DL that can get consistent pressure. 

After watching like 3 games, I've seen why some people have Billings falling out of the first. Yes he has ridiculous power and a non stop motor, but 2 blockers is enough to stop him most of the time. Oklahoma handled him all day long. But his upside is tremendous. He's a pure 3-4 NT though, so 4-3 teams will probably pass.

If I had to pick today, I'd take Floyd over him round 1. But my opinion may change after the combine.

3 hours ago, Indy Fan said:

After reading some scouting reports and watching some Georgia games I completely agree. Guy reminds me of Barkevious Mingo but dropped into coverage a little. His coverage skills were almost non existent though. The combine will be crucial to see how much weight he has added and to see if he hasn't lost any explosiveness. Much rather grab a D or O linemen.

A personnel guy told one of these draft guru people that he sees why people like Floyd, but doesn't think he fits an NFL defense. I agree. He's not even that good of a pass rusher.

36 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

After watching like 3 games, I've seen why some people have Billings falling out of the first. Yes he has ridiculous power and a non stop motor, but 2 blockers is enough to stop him most of the time. Oklahoma handled him all day long. But his upside is tremendous. He's a pure 3-4 NT though, so 4-3 teams will probably pass.

I may be misunderstanding what you're saying (I know you're not dissing him), but in my mind If he require 2 blockers that is a huge plus.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

A personnel guy told one of these draft guru people that he sees why people like Floyd, but doesn't think he fits an NFL defense. I agree. He's not even that good of a pass rusher.

"but doesn't think he fits an NFL defense."

That's extreme to the point I don't think I would want that scout anywhere near the Colts organization in my opinion. Floyd was moved around quite a bit at Georgia so it would have been hard for him to settle in and focus on any one position such as rush linebacker and develop his pass rush rep. He really isn't that much undersized at 6'3"-6'4" 231lbs..and I think he has the frame to add 10-15lbs. He is athletic. He has a quick first step. I do agree that he is not that good of a pass rusher...from a technique standpoint but again he was moved around and its hurt his development in that area I believe...Cant develop if your not getting many reps at the position

38 minutes ago, Gavin said:

That's extreme to the point I don't think I would want that scout anywhere near the Colts organization in my opinion. Floyd was moved around quite a bit at Georgia so it would have been hard for him to settle in and focus on any one position such as rush linebacker and develop his pass rush rep. He really isn't that much undersized at 6'3"-6'4" 231lbs..and I think he has the frame to add 10-15lbs. He is athletic. He has a quick first step. I do agree that he is not that good of a pass rusher...from a technique standpoint but again he was moved around and its hurt his development in that area I believe...Cant develop if your not getting many reps at the position

I feel this strengthens the quotes. Georgia couldn't find a position that fit him either.

Would not spend a 1st rd pick on his body of work. Speaking of body, I'm sure he has tried to pack in extra muscle weight in his time at Georgia however it didn't happen. I look and see a smaller boned frame. I would love to see him at 255# with his first step but then he would be a top 10 pick.

42 minutes ago, Gavin said:

He did play multiple positions so that hurt his development but it scares me as he will be 24 at the start of next season. Billings will be turning 21 soon so I see more growth and potential. Just my view.

55 minutes ago, JRnINDY said:

I feel this strengthens the quotes. Georgia couldn't find a position that fit him either.

Would not spend a 1st rd pick on his body of work. Speaking of body, I'm sure he has tried to pack in extra muscle weight in his time at Georgia however it didn't happen. I look and see a smaller boned frame. I would love to see him at 255# with his first step but then he would be a top 10 pick.

you have a quote saying Georgia could not find a position for him? Maybe they just did not have the ILB talent and they saw Floyd was versatile enough to play at both positions. Most players put on weight once they get into an NFL strength and conditioning program.

Robert Mathis was 235lbs (according to NFL Draft Scout) coming out of Alabama A&M and is listed anywhere from an inch or 2 shorter then Floyd and put on 10 lbs. 10lbs is nothing for Floyd to put on I don't think

2 minutes ago, Gavin said:

you have a quote saying Georgia could not find a position for him? Maybe they just did not have the ILB talent and they saw Floyd was versatile enough to play at both positions. Most players put on weight once they get into an NFL strength and conditioning program.

Robert Mathis was 235lbs (according to NFL Draft Scout) coming out of Alabama A&M and is listed anywhere from an inch or 2 shorter then Floyd and put on 10 lbs. 10lbs is nothing for Floyd to put on I don't think

Robert Mathis was a 5th rounder.

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2617193-2016-nfl-draft-matt-millers-pre-combine-scouting-notebook

Here's the quote:

"I know you guys like Leonard [Floyd], but where the hell are you gonna play him in the NFL?" Those are the very blunt words of one general manager this week, remarking on the 6'4", 230-pound linebacker from Georgia.

He is definitely undersized, just like Randy Gregory was. Yes, he has a good first step. What else, though?

I don't have a problem with coaching a guy up and letting him continue to develop, even his body. But I would like to see some significant production to offset those concerns; Floyd averaged less than 6 sacks/year in college. He's not a first rounder, IMO.

21 minutes ago, Gavin said:

I havnt seen the kid play, but I can't imagine Georgia would sacrifice the ability to rush the passer because they had a hole at MLB.

the vast majority of dominant edge rushers in the NFL were dominant edge rushers in college.  Call me skeptical.

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

5 hours ago, Superman said:

The quote was from your reference quote above. Look I like the kids potential, however I see no way he should be our 1st round pick.

19 hours ago, Indy Fan said:

Hard to pass up Elliot or Decker in this scenario but Floyd would give our D a nice pass rush. Would also consider Billings, Butler or Alexander and really shocked that a few posters want Nkemdiche in the first. I would even be hesitant to take him with our second rounder. The guy takes games off and doesn't have a great arsenal of moves however that could be taught. 

Nkemdiche is a freak athlete I have to admit even though the numbers don't quite add up.  I'm a bit concerned about the synthetic marijuana incident that had him falling 15 feet out of a hotel window.  To his credit I haven't seen any other incidents reported other than that.  I try to pick up his spirit by listening to him in interviews some times and I still feel hesitant.  I have done the same with Spence and Spence seems more humble in some ways although Spence seems like the type of guy who could look you in the eye very humbly and be telling a tale.  It's a hard call on those two guys.

2 hours ago, Gavin said:

He played at Alabama A&M. Floyd played at Georgia

Khalil Mack played at Buffalo.

Just because you played at a big school doesn't mean you get credit for it, and just because you played at a small school doesn't mean you'll be penalized for it. Personnel people look for traits and proven ability, and I'm still waiting on someone to tell me what makes Floyd a high round prospect.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

I have done the same with Spence and Spence seems more humble in some ways although Spence seems like the type of guy who could look you in the eye very humbly and be telling a tale. 

That's a ridiculous judgement on his character without any basis.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Nkemdiche is a freak athlete I have to admit even though the numbers don't quite add up.  I'm a bit concerned about the synthetic marijuana incident that had him falling 15 feet out of a hotel window.  To his credit I haven't seen any other incidents reported other than that.  I try to pick up his spirit by listening to him in interviews some times and I still feel hesitant.  I have done the same with Spence and Spence seems more humble in some ways although Spence seems like the type of guy who could look you in the eye very humbly and be telling a tale.  It's a hard call on those two guys.

Local radio (Memphis..near Ole Miss) says that synthetic marijuana makes a person extremely paranoid and that's why he jumped out of the window.  I've also heard he may not have a huge "love" for the game....he's just better than most.  So, I think your instincts are correct.   I also remember these same people saying Dontari Poe didn't have the "want to" but he's carved out a nice career.  

28 minutes ago, Superman said:

Just because you played at a big school doesn't mean you get credit for it, and just because you played at a small school doesn't mean you'll be penalized for it. Personnel people look for traits and proven ability, and I'm still waiting on someone to tell me what makes Floyd a high round prospect.

I agree on Floyd but you can see examples from both sides.  Look at Dion Jordan and Dontri Poe.

17 minutes ago, Superman said:

Athleticism, Quick first step. He does show a spin move and swim move to get to the inside of a Tackle though it needs work. No doubt he is a work in progress and if I thought we could get him in a trade down I'd be for it but I don't think we could. Also its not a must that we get him in the 1st. I have others I like as well.....I'd personally prefer Noah Spence or Kamali Correa in the 1st two rounds. While I also agree that just playing at a small school wont get you penalized necessarily it happens that way sometimes

2 hours ago, krunk said:

I don't think you even mentioned the biggest red flag about Nkemdiche....

And that is this.....    he might be the most physically gifted player in the draft.     Yet, for all his considerable talent,    if you look at the tape,  he doesn't dominate many games.      There are now three years of game tapes on the kid and he just doesn't light it up.     Even when he flashes greatness,  he'll take too many plays off in the same game.       Or, he disappears altogether....      and he rarely dominates against the best competition.

So at some point, you have to ask,  why doesn't he dominate?     Does he have no motor?     Does he not care about the game?      What's the problem?     The missing link?

Talented kid....    but I'd guess there are a lot of concerned personnel people on this kid than most any other in the draft......

46 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And that is this.....    he might be the most physically gifted player in the draft.     Yet, for all his considerable talent,    if you look at the tape,  he doesn't dominate many games.      There are now three years of game tapes on the kid and he just doesn't light it up.     Even when he flashes greatness,  he'll take too many plays off in the same game.       Or, he disappears altogether....      and he rarely dominates against the best competition.

So at some point, you have to ask,  why doesn't he dominate?     Does he have no motor?     Does he not care about the game?      What's the problem?     The missing link?

Talented kid....    but I'd guess there are a lot of concerned personnel people on this kid than most any other in the draft......

#1 recruits very rarely become NFL stars. Last one I can think of is Adrien Peterson?  I'd say only half of them play more than a season or two. Anytime I see a top HS athlete with mental question marks, I run the other way. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Off field concerns aside just speaking on Nkemdiche as a prospect in my opinion of course...His hand use is raw. He also takes to wide of angles sometimes instead of a direct path to the ball. Also  I didn't see a guy that had a lot of strength but got by with mostly a quick first step and athleticism. Play recognition is average.

My opinion.....Athletically 1st round talent ....Fundamentals and strength probably 2nd-3rd. I think he goes anywhere from mid to late 1st based on his athleticism and interviews about his ability to take to being coached up

7 hours ago, wig said:

That's a ridiculous judgement on his character without any basis.

Does a judgement whether ridiculous or not make something a fact?  Of course it's not a fact, it's just thoughts that came across my mind as I was getting a feel for him.  Doesn't mean that's who the guy is.