Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Martellus Bennett Likely Not Part Of Bears Plans

We would be better off signing Allen because Bennett will not come here for pennies.  He is paid like 5mil/year now so he will want what we could give Allen anyways.  I would like and hope to keep Allen because he is very well rounded and had to stay in and block a lot last year to help the line.  Something Fleener does not do.  But I want Fleener back as well.

7 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

We would be better off signing Allen because Bennett will not come here for pennies.  He is paid like 5mil/year now so he will want what we could give Allen anyways.  I would like and hope to keep Allen because he is very well rounded and had to stay in and block a lot last year to help the line.  Something Fleener does not do.  But I want Fleener back as well.

I said if we end up letting Allen go like most of the talk is pointing to.  I'm okay if we keep him.

i think general consensus is we all want Allen back but he wont be back because he will want more money than we will offer and he apparrently has been unhappy with his role, as for Bennett as a replacement i dont see it happening we have to many other holes to fill. With Doyle Fleener and maybe Mgrath or that other PS guy cant remember his name, TE just is not a need

51 minutes ago, Dustin said:

There'd be really no point in bringing back Fleener if we signed Bennett.

Come on.....    be serious....     even you can't defend this...

Bennett is an in-line tight end, valued for his blocking as much if not more than his receiving,  though he is a good receiver.     He's a better Dwayne Allen,  and he stays healthier than Allen.

Fleener, a tight end you split wide and try to create match-up problems.

They don't even play the same position.     I'll repeat that:    They don't even play the same position.

And you surely know that Chud likes tight ends in his offense......     

I'm fine with signing Bennett......     and I'm fine with bringing back Fleener on a reasonable contract.

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Come on.....    be serious....     even you can't defend this...

Bennett is an in-line tight end, valued for his blocking as much if not more than his receiving,  though he is a good receiver.     He's a better Dwayne Allen,  and he stays healthier than Allen.

Fleener, a tight end you split wide and try to create match-up problems.

They don't even play the same position.     I'll repeat that:    They don't even play the same position.

And you surely know that Chud likes tight ends in his offense......     

I'm fine with signing Bennett......     and I'm fine with bringing back Fleener on a reasonable contract.

Martelous Bennet had nearly 1,000 receiving yards in 2014. What are you even talking about?

Fleener has never been a matchup problem in his career. He is what he is. Just a guy. If we signed Bennett there would be no use in handing Fleener his $8M APY contract he's going to command.

Be reasonable. I know you like your Stanford guys, but Fleener is nothing special. 

Martellus Bennett had 90 or so catches in 2014.  I'd say he's more than capable of being whatever type of tight end you need him to be.  Maybe part of the attitude issues come from playing with sucky teams like the Bears.   I'd be mad too if I was at 90 catches in 2014 and wound up with about 30 to 40 catches in 2015.  I do think Bennett is a better player than Fleener and Allen to be honest, but I know at least one of them will stay.  As long as he's not a locker room cancer I'd be cool if the guy came here.  He'd definitely be a threat in the red zone.  If I recall right I remember he was kind of killing us in that preseason game last year.

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

Martelous Bennet had nearly 1,000 receiving yards in 2014. What are you even talking about?

Fleener has never been a matchup problem in his career. He is what he is. Just a guy. If we signed Bennett there would be no use in handing Fleener his $8M APY contract he's going to command.

Be reasonable. I know you like your Stanford guys, but Fleener is nothing special. 

This is not a Stanford guy thing.    I've been on record since I arrived here discouraging the Colts from pursuing many Stanford guys -- including by the way, David Parry who I thought was too small to fit our scheme.   I've discouraged far more Stanford guys than I've encouraged the Colts to actually sign.    I'm very selective about who I'd like the Colts to sign.

But having 1,000 yards doesn't mean he's a split out tight end.    And it's not like he's got a long history of great receiving.      Dallas drafted him and cut him....   Chicago signed him and now are not keeping him.    One year doesn't mean we don't need two tight ends.    Doesn't Bennett block?    Is he not part of a successful running game?      You've got the grades.     

And I think it's far from a lock that Fleener gets the kind of money you think he'll command.   And I've said it before and I'll repeat it again -- if Coby Fleener needs 8 Mill to stay with the Colts or he walks -- I'm OK if he walks.   I'll let some other team pay that price.     I like Coby a lot.    But I don't love him that much.....

p.s. -- Bennett had 912 yards in 2014 --- on 90 catches.   a 10.2 yard per catch average.    That same year, Fleener averaged 15.2 yards per catch -- 2nd highest among all tight ends,  including 5 more years per catch than Bennett.    In other words,  Bennett averages roughly 10-11 yards per catch based on him being an in-line blocker as well.     He's not split out the way Fleener.

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

But having 1,000 yards doesn't mean he's a split out tight end.    And it's not like he's got a long history of great receiving.      Dallas drafted him and cut him....   Chicago signed him and now are not keeping him.    One year doesn't mean we don't need two tight ends.    Doesn't Bennett block?    Is he not part of a successful running game?      You've got the grades.     

Of course he blocks. I'm sorry you find it such a crazy idea to not pay two tight-ends premium money. Bennett is better than Fleener at essentially everything. I don't care whether Fleener is a hypothetical mismatch for DBs or not (he isn't by the way). Whether Bennett gets production from in-line or split-out is irrelevant. 

p.s. -- Bennett had 912 yards in 2014 --- on 90 catches.   a 10.2 yard per catch average.    That same year, Fleener averaged 15.2 yards per catch -- 2nd highest among all tight ends,  including 5 more years per catch than Bennett.    In other words,  Bennett averages roughly 10-11 yards per catch based on him being an in-line blocker as well.     He's not split out the way Fleener.

Again, who cares? We have WRs to split out wide. There's no need to waste snaps on Fleener out there. 

There comes a point where there are too many mouths to feed on offense relative to what you're paying them. There' no point in having Hilton, Moncrief, Dorsett, Fleener, and Bennett. One of those players is going to be short-changed in the targets department. Of those 5 Fleener is the least valuable player there and thus it would be him who would be losing opportunities (or at least should seeing as all of those player are better than him). 

If you think that paying Fleener $8M APY for the 65ish targets he would get with Bennett, Hilton, Moncrief, and Dorsett in the lineup is a good allocation of resources, than I have a bridge to sell you. That's not a smart way to build a team. 

35 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Of course he blocks. I'm sorry you find it such a crazy idea to not pay two tight-ends premium money. Bennett is better than Fleener at essentially everything. I don't care whether Fleener is a hypothetical mismatch for DBs or not (he isn't by the way). Whether Bennett gets production from in-line or split-out is irrelevant.

Again, who cares? We have WRs to split out wide. There's no need to waste snaps on Fleener out there. 

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

Let Fleener walk.  He is basically a slow wideout anyway.  With TY, Landshark, and Dorsett do the colts really need a TE like Fleener? I don't think so.

You guys get it.

14 hours ago, richard pallo said:

8mil per year, OMG.  I have not seen estimates that high. I have seen half that much but not 8mil.  I would like them both back but that seems way too high for what I have seen from him.  Allen is the more complete player.  

To the bolded; I believe that is due to a large majority of people on here constantly underestimating the cost of Free Agency...Ertz just got 5 years $42 mil and Kelce got 5 years / $46 mil...not that Fleener is necessarily in the same class, however, I am betting that someone will pay him quite a bit, I would assume $6 mil / year minimum.  Agree with your sentiment on Allen.

16 hours ago, krunk said:

Martellus Bennett had 90 or so catches in 2014.  I'd say he's more than capable of being whatever type of tight end you need him to be.  Maybe part of the attitude issues come from playing with sucky teams like the Bears.   I'd be mad too if I was at 90 catches in 2014 and wound up with about 30 to 40 catches in 2015.  I do think Bennett is a better player than Fleener and Allen to be honest, but I know at least one of them will stay.  As long as he's not a locker room cancer I'd be cool if the guy came here.  He'd definitely be a threat in the red zone.  If I recall right I remember he was kind of killing us in that preseason game last year.

I wouldn't have a problem with Bennett signing with the Colts at all. Fleener needs a very good TE to make for a good combo. I just don't get why there is all this hate for Fleener. It started from year one has hasn't let up. I understand he doesn't have a lot of yards after the catch but there is more to playing the position than that. He averages over 12 yards per catch and only has one fumble his whole career. Some say he has a lot of drops? TY has more but no one singles him out?

13 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I wouldn't have a problem with Bennett signing with the Colts at all. Fleener needs a very good TE to make for a good combo. I just don't get why there is all this hate for Fleener. It started from year one has hasn't let up. I understand he doesn't have a lot of yards after the catch but there is more to playing the position than that. He averages over 12 yards per catch and only has one fumble his whole career. Some say he has a lot of drops? TY has more but no one singles him out?

Fleener has untimely drops goes down a 1/2 yard short of a 1st down regularly TY usually does something special after a bad play

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I understand he doesn't have a lot of yards after the catch but there is more to playing the position than that. He averages over 12 yards per catch and only has one fumble his whole career. Some say he has a lot of drops? TY has more but no one singles him out?

I suspect that TY's drops have more to do with him getting many more targets...not to mention the routes he runs and the guys he is going up against each and every week.  Also, I do not find Fleener's one fumble stat that impressive, especially for a guy who avoids contact often....yes, I know he has broken tackles before and taken on contact, but that is not his game, and he has proven it more often than not IMO.  There are reasons why so many people are not on the Fleener bandwagon...it's not a conspiracy.  He has certainly made good plays, and he's not bad, but he is nothing special.  With Hilton, Moncrief, and Dorsett I would rather have a TE who averages 6 yards a catch and gets the tough yards, especially when it matters...Fleener is not that guy.

1 hour ago, akcolt said:

37 minutes ago, Traines said:

I suspect that TY's drops have more to do with him getting many more targets...not to mention the routes he runs and the guys he is going up against each and every week.  Also, I do not find Fleener's one fumble stat that impressive, especially for a guy who avoids contact often....yes, I know he has broken tackles before and taken on contact, but that is not his game, and he has proven it more often than not IMO.  There are reasons why so many people are not on the Fleener bandwagon...it's not a conspiracy.  He has certainly made good plays, and he's not bad, but he is nothing special.  With Hilton, Moncrief, and Dorsett I would rather have a TE who averages 6 yards a catch and gets the tough yards, especially when it matters...Fleener is not that guy.

So it's convenient for you to make excuses for TY but not Fleener? I am not saying Fleener is a top notch TE but he is not as bad as a few make him out to be. I bet if Fleener did have a few fumbles you would make that an issue. I think it's kind of funny when Fleener does have a good game and makes a few good plays no one wants to give him any credit. When he made the 73 yard TD no one mentioned it because it don't fit their belief he is a bad player. Just because I or a few other think more of Fleener does not mean we are on a bandwagon because you disagree.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Fleener had 2 more drops on 50 fewer targets. 

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2015/customize/

35 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So it's convenient for you to make excuses for TY but not Fleener? I am not saying Fleener is a top notch TE but he is not as bad as a few make him out to be. I bet if Fleener did have a few fumbles you would make that an issue. I think it's kind of funny when Fleener does have a good game and makes a few good plays no one wants to give him any credit. When he made the 73 yard TD no one mentioned it because it don't fit their belief he is a bad player. Just because I or a few other think more of Fleener does not mean we are on a bandwagon because you disagree.

Those aren't excuses, those are reasons why he would have more drops...and don't act like there aren't at least a few on here that are down on Hilton, especially this year.  I never said Fleener was bad.  As for the fumbling, I would be more impressed if he was a RB, he's a TE with 50 touches a year. The bolded is nonsense, you act like people just dislike him for the hell of it.  You can cherry-pick the plays that are convenient for your argument, but there are many games and times where is unimpressive...more often than not IMO...but that doesn't mean I am not happy when he does make a good play.  I'm sure he is a solid guy, and good for the locker room, but I find him to be very average.  Hopefully when we re-sign him he turns into Greg Olsen.  

5 hours ago, Dustin said:

There comes a point where there are too many mouths to feed on offense relative to what you're paying them. There' no point in having Hilton, Moncrief, Dorsett, Fleener, and Bennett. One of those players is going to be short-changed in the targets department. Of those 5 Fleener is the least valuable player there and thus it would be him who would be losing opportunities (or at least should seeing as all of those player are better than him). 

If you think that paying Fleener $8M APY for the 65ish targets he would get with Bennett, Hilton, Moncrief, and Dorsett in the lineup is a good allocation of resources, than I have a bridge to sell you. That's not a smart way to build a team. 

If you keep going on and on about the "who cares" aspect of the two completely different tight ends,  then I guess what you're saying is that you haven't watched the Colts play the last 4 years.    And that you don't know/care that Chudzinkski likes multiple tight ends plays.   

OK.....    that's fine.      We just see things differently.

But two different tight ends is a part of what we do.     Just FYI......

By the way,  ask yourself this....   if Martell Bennett is all that,  then why is working on his 4th team since coming into the NFL?      Drafted by Dallas and not kept.      Signed by NYGiants and cut after 1 year.     Signed by Chicago,  played well in '14 (as you noted)  and now not kept again.      Forget two tight ends,  the Bears are cutting their starting tight end.       That's three teams that have all sampled Bennett and found him wanting.........

And that's the horse you're backing.

Oh,  and he's been known to have problems with his weight.    Too much, not too little.

5 hours ago, Traines said:

Those aren't excuses, those are reasons why he would have more drops...and don't act like there aren't at least a few on here that are down on Hilton, especially this year.  I never said Fleener was bad.  As for the fumbling, I would be more impressed if he was a RB, he's a TE with 50 touches a year. The bolded is nonsense, you act like people just dislike him for the hell of it.  You can cherry-pick the plays that are convenient for your argument, but there are many games and times where is unimpressive...more often than not IMO...but that doesn't mean I am not happy when he does make a good play.  I'm sure he is a solid guy, and good for the locker room, but I find him to be very average.  Hopefully when we re-sign him he turns into Greg Olsen.  

The thing you seem to overlook is this is no argument. I stated my opinion. If you want to make an argument out of it you are undermining the intensions of the forum.

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If you keep going on and on about the "who cares" aspect of the two completely different tight ends,  then I guess what you're saying is that you haven't watched the Colts play the last 4 years.    And that you don't know/care that Chudzinkski likes multiple tight ends plays.   

OK.....    that's fine.      We just see things differently.

But two different tight ends is a part of what we do.     Just FYI......

By the way,  ask yourself this....   if Martell Bennett is all that,  then why is working on his 4th team since coming into the NFL?      Drafted by Dallas and not kept.      Signed by NYGiants and cut after 1 year.     Signed by Chicago,  played well in '14 (as you noted)  and now not kept again.      Forget two tight ends,  the Bears are cutting their starting tight end.       That's three teams that have all sampled Bennett and found him wanting.........

And that's the horse you're backing.

Oh,  and he's been known to have problems with his weight.    Too much, not too little.

I didnt say I wanted to sign Bennett. I said IF we signed Bennett. 

5 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I didnt say I wanted to sign Bennett. I said IF we signed Bennett. 

Right.

You also said this.....

"There'd be really no point in bringing back Fleener if we signed Bennett."

You wrote this despite the fact that the two players don't play the same position or have the same responsibilites.      Bennett is more Dwayne Allen than Coby Fleener.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Right.

You also said this.....

You wrote this despite the fact that the two players don't play the same position or have the same responsibilites.      Bennett is more Dwayne Allen than Coby Fleener.

Why did you completely ignore my 3rd and 4th paragraph in my previous response?

You think it's fiscally responsible to build a complete team when you are paying around $14M APY between two tight ends who won't would only see about 70 catches between them?

43 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Why did you completely ignore my 3rd and 4th paragraph in my previous response?

You think it's fiscally responsible to build a complete team when you are paying around $14M APY between two tight ends who won't would only see about 70 catches between them?

Well.....    we don't know yet what it's going to cost to re-sign Fleener and to sign another FA tight end.   That's assuming the team won't re-sign Allen or let him walk and plug in Doyle.     I don't think that will happen,  but I'm allowing for the possibility however remote.

And we don't know how many catches the two tight ends might get.    Your guesses are likely based on what Fleener and Allen did together their first three years.    And in two of those years Allen was hurt and didn't play much.    And the other year was their rookie season.

So,  our two tight ends -- hypothetically Fleener and Bennett -- might get 80-90 catches.    I think 100 is unlikely,  but 90 is possible if not probable.     I go back to what I've read and posted numerous times....   that Chud likes to be able to use multiple tight ends.  

And I've already said to you numerous times,  that if Fleener is holding out for $8 Mill,  I don't think he's worth it and I'd let him walk....       Not sure what more you want?

p.s. -- one last thought....    it's 4am your time,  why are you up so early?    I often see you up and posting at this hour?      Work?    Trouble sleeping?    

45 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well.....    we don't know yet what it's going to cost to re-sign Fleener and to sign another FA tight end.   That's assuming the team won't re-sign Allen or let him walk and plug in Doyle.     I don't think that will happen,  but I'm allowing for the possibility however remote.

And we don't know how many catches the two tight ends might get.    Your guesses are likely based on what Fleener and Allen did together their first three years.    And in two of those years Allen was hurt and didn't play much.    And the other year was their rookie season.

So,  our two tight ends -- hypothetically Fleener and Bennett -- might get 80-90 catches.    I think 100 is unlikely,  but 90 is possible if not probable.     I go back to what I've read and posted numerous times....   that Chud likes to be able to use multiple tight ends.  

And I've already said to you numerous times,  that if Fleener is holding out for $8 Mill,  I don't think he's worth it and I'd let him walk....       Not sure what more you want?

p.s. -- one last thought....    it's 4am your time,  why are you up so early?    I often see you up and posting at this hour?      Work?    Trouble sleeping?    

I work nights. 

39 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

IMO I think Doyle might have better hands than Fleener or Allen. Doyle just seems to make the catches and plays when he is utilized. I just wonder why Bennett cant stay on a roster? Three different teams in 8 years. He really only had two what I would call good seasons with the best in 2014. You would think after being mentored by Witten he would be a little more professional? Just my thoughts.

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Right.

You also said this.....

I don't want Bennett because he appears to a Jerk, but....

he could replace Fleener's production quite easily with Luck and Chud at the helm.  And Chud usually uses another tight end as a blocker...so just keep Doyle around.

17 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

The thing you seem to overlook is this is no argument. I stated my opinion. If you want to make an argument out of it you are undermining the intensions of the forum.

let's not act like I am threatening you or something, this is a debate...change the word 'argument' to 'debate' or 'opinion' in my previous reply...good god...nice deflection

Brady and Newton really use their TEs because they don't have a lot WR talent.  The Colts do.  Allen is always hurt and Fleener just seems to be Luck's last option...and with our Oline, that means Luck gets sacked.  I would love for our TEs to be a big part of our 3rd down packages....shorter routes.   Personally, though, we don't need Fleener if that's all he's going to be.  He was supposed to be our Jimmy Graham and that just isn't happening.  I would be happy with Doyle in most circumstances.

On 2/20/2016 at 10:20 AM, crazycolt1 said:

Allen and Fleener have almost the exact same drop rate.  

8 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Allen and Fleener have almost the exact same drop rate.  

That may be true but it is Fleener who is singled out. Most all the comments say that Allen is a better TE and only his injuries are the reason he don't play better. IMO it had become popular to point the finger at Fleener his first year because most thought Allen was better. That mindset has never changed. My only point I am bringing up is Fleener is not as bad as some seem to think. When the Colts were rated a top 3 offense Fleener did some nice things even thought there were many mouths to feed. He has improved his blocking ability and protects the ball better than most. IMO he can become a lot better if used the right way. Maybe the change in coaches and the changes in strategy on offense will bring out better things out of Fleener along with the rest of the offense.

This is all kinda pointless anyway. We'll re-sign Fleener and if we bring in another TE it'll be either a blocking TE. Or a guy like Jermaine Gresham who could be had on a really cheap deal. Only way we sign Bennett is if we decide to go in a new direction and let Fleener and Allen both walk. Which I doubt happens.