Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah Draft Mock 1.0

Conklin again? I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad pick, but tackle isn't precisely the need on oline, its guard and center. Even at BPA, it feels like we could get a more explosive defensive playmaker at that spot. It feels like these draft analysts are basically going "Colts... uh... o line because Luck gets hit a lot... Conklin in the 1st!"

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Just click and scroll down......

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/mock-drafts/daniel-jeremiah/275602

No offense because I know a TON of people love the draft stuff but its SOOO SOOO far away...I mean the season isn't even over...we haven't made cuts yet...haven't had the combine or workouts...just a long way off to even speculate for these people let alone board members. I know its all we have to look forward to but the evaluation process is far far from being complete.

Ill have to watch more of Conklin but right now as it stands out of who Jeremiah has listed going after the Colts pick I'd rather have the following in this order I think as of right now:

1.Leonard Floyd

2.Taylor Decker

3.Laquan Treadwell

4.Corey Coleman

5.Shaq Lawson

(I'm also going to watch as much as I can find on Darron Lee as well)

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think he can. I think the scheme issue is more relevant to interior linemen, unless a guy is extra stiff or has lead feet.

Exactly...the inside guys typically are the guys that either are athletic enough to pull etc or the road graders...the OT usually are viewed in pass protection purposes because they go up against smaller guys etc in blocking and should be able to win their battles when running unless like you said they have no mobility at all in which case watch out qb.

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

That's probably exactly what they're doing.

That's why watching the news seeing who thinks who is going where is typically worthless this time of year. Draft stock, team needs, and workouts change a ton on where people go between now and leading up to the draft night. Outside probably the top 5-10 players in the draft its almost impossible to predict who will be where at this point. We need OL help inside and out...we desperately need LB help and probably safety and corner are high on the list too. BPA at a number of those positions will be our choice. We just need a big time difference maker with our first pick....and then hope those 2-5 guys hit again like we did last year and help the team....we do that and we are going to start seeing some progress on defense and on our team overall. Not saying getting to know what these young kids are capable of is bad...but how they will land is a crap shoot we probably shouldn't waste our time worrying.

16 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Ill have to watch more of Conklin but right now as it stands out of who Jeremiah has listed going after the Colts pick I'd rather have the following in this order I think as of right now:

1.Leonard Floyd

2.Taylor Decker

3.Laquan Treadwell

4.Corey Coleman

5.Shaq Lawson

Treadwell?  Really...... you want the board to implode?  lol

3 hours ago, SkyBane said:

Conklin again? I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad pick, but tackle isn't precisely the need on oline, its guard and center. Even at BPA, it feels like we could get a more explosive defensive playmaker at that spot. It feels like these draft analysts are basically going "Colts... uh... o line because Luck gets hit a lot... Conklin in the 1st!"

Conklin would be a great pick! 

Move Mewhort to LG focus on C

LT AC LG Mewhort C Martin RG Thornton RT Conklin

Conklin Round 1

Martin Round 2

18 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Conklin Round 1

Martin Round 2

I don't necessarily think o line is necessary in the first round. If the talent is there without reaching, I would much rather draft LB. Jaylon Smith would be a sleeper steal, but there's no predicting where he'll drop at this point.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

No offense because I know a TON of people love the draft stuff but its SOOO SOOO far away...I mean the season isn't even over...we haven't made cuts yet...haven't had the combine or workouts...just a long way off to even speculate for these people let alone board members. I know its all we have to look forward to but the evaluation process is far far from being complete.

I understand that....   I make the same comments every year.   

I always tell the younger posters don't get too worked up on the early mocks, because things are going to change dramatically over the next 3 months.      

Especially this year where there is no consensus 1st pick overall...    though I think the big OT from Mississippi is the likely candidate for the top spot this year...

49 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Conklin Round 1

Martin Round 2

Mewhort played LG after like week 3 or 4 for the rest of the season...

Save for when Castanzo was out, our primary lineup was

Castanzo - Mewhort - Holmes - Thornton - Reitz

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I understand that....   I make the same comments every year.   

I always tell the younger posters don't get too worked up on the early mocks, because things are going to change dramatically over the next 3 months.      

Especially this year where there is no consensus 1st pick overall...    though I think the big OT from Mississippi is the likely candidate for the top spot this year...

Good choice. Tunsil is gonna be good.

The boards definitely going to change up a bit from now til the draft. don't forget Bjoern Werner was considered a top 10 pick in the beginning a few years ago LOL. And I've said this a time or 2. But IMO we need to just bring in a Guard and Center. We're alright at RT with Reitz and Good IMO. Or we could draft a RT in the middle rounds to compete with those 2. I had rather pick Cody Whitehair at 18 than Conklin. Whitehair is going to be a very good guard. But I strongly feel we need to go defense. We need a pass rusher. Floyd or Spence. Hopefully we can get both. Spence may be there at 48. Guys like Shaq Lawson don't intrigue me because I don't think he's going to be a big sack number guy. He's more Erik Walden if you ask me.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

The boards definitely going to change up a bit from now til the draft. don't forget Bjoern Werner was considered a top 10 pick in the beginning a few years ago LOL. And I've said this a time or 2. But IMO we need to just bring in a Guard and Center. We're alright at RT with Reitz and Good IMO. Or we could draft a RT in the middle rounds to compete with those 2. I had rather pick Cody Whitehair at 18 than Conklin. Whitehair is going to be a very good guard. But I strongly feel we need to go defense. We need a pass rusher. Floyd or Spence. Hopefully we can get both. Spence may be there at 48. Guys like Shaq Lawson don't intrigue me because I don't think he's going to be a big sack number guy. He's more Erik Walden if you ask me.

I too want to bring in a guard and center....   but don't forget Free Agency.     That may be where we get them....

Just thinking out loud.....

1 hour ago, Shafty138 said:

I agree, but there HAS to be a point where drafting purely based on BPA, and on need intersect doesn't there?

It's okay to be influenced by need. The Colts won't draft a QB before the 6th round, if at all. Positional value is a factor as well.

It's not okay to reach for need. The fact that you think you need a pass rusher more than you need an offensive lineman shouldn't cause you to pass on a really good lineman that you have rated higher than the best pass rusher. 

A lot of times people just say "BPA! BPA!" as if that really explains anything. I've been guilty of that. It's really just a blanket statement that leaves a lot open for interpretation. That's why I've taken to saying 'don't reach for need, stick to your board, and maximize value.' Basic principles that teams shouldn't waver from.

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's okay to be influenced by need. The Colts won't draft a QB before the 6th round, if at all. Positional value is a factor as well.

It's not okay to reach for need. The fact that you think you need a pass rusher more than you need an offensive lineman shouldn't cause you to pass on a really good lineman that you have rated higher than the best pass rusher. 

A lot of times people just say "BPA! BPA!" as if that really explains anything. I've been guilty of that. It's really just a blanket statement that leaves a lot open for interpretation. That's why I've taken to saying 'don't reach for need, stick to your board, and maximize value.' Basic principles that teams shouldn't waver from.

Exactly. Let the picks come to you & adhere to your board. You have a very good chance of acquiring need(s) & value through BPA. Targeting should be done through other means such as FA, undrafted, trades, walk-ons, et.al.

7 hours ago, Superman said:

That's probably exactly what they're doing.

Sad thing is that they've been doing the same thing for like 2 years. People just see Colts and automatically say "O-Line" without even thinking. Not sure any of these analysts have watched a Colts game since 2012.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Sad thing is that they've been doing the same thing for like 2 years. People just see Colts and automatically say "O-Line" without even thinking. Not sure any of these analysts have watched a Colts game since 2012.

That comes to mind because of the amount of hits and sacks Luck gets. Tie that into the lack of running game and it is natural to point at the O-line. You look at the O-linemen individually and see we have a couple of very good ones. But the package as a unit is not that good. How many O-linemen we have that do a good job of pulling and blocking for a RB? One? The trench players have to be all talented and play on the same page so to say. IMO the most glaring need is finding the remaining pieces to have an O-line that controls the line of scrimmage.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

That comes to mind because of the amount of hits and sacks Luck gets. Tie that into the lack of running game and it is natural to point at the O-line. You look at the O-linemen individually and see we have a couple of very good ones. But the package as a unit is not that good. How many O-linemen we have that do a good job of pulling and blocking for a RB? One? The trench players have to be all talented and play on the same page so to say. IMO the most glaring need is finding the remaining pieces to have an O-line that controls the line of scrimmage.

I get what you're saying, but I think the weakness is at center. But it seems like most analyst just assume the line is bad, but don't know where so they just throw us whatever OL is there at 18. RT isn't the biggest need on the line. C and G is.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I get what you're saying, but I think the weakness is at center. But it seems like most analyst just assume the line is bad, but don't know where so they just throw us whatever OL is there at 18. RT isn't the biggest need on the line. C and G is.

While this is true, the amount of OT's with a first round grade any given year, is bound to be much greater than G-C's with a First round grade....  Also, a lot ofOT's start at G....so maybe it's just projecting maximum potential to fill a need/needs possibly?

On 1/18/2016 at 5:44 PM, Shafty138 said:

I'm starting to wonder if it's not too early to take C- Ryan Kelly at 18.... obviously would prefer to trade back, but the Draft's best Center is tempting, and it takes 2 to trade....

I think I prefer Taylor Decker if we have to take a OT.... but not certain he can play in ZBS?

Waaaaaaaay to early for Kelly. Even the second round is a bit early for any center. And I personally like tuerk, Martin, and even Voltz more

On 1/18/2016 at 6:51 PM, Gavin said:

1.Leonard Floyd

2.Taylor Decker

3.Laquan Treadwell

4.Corey Coleman

5.Shaq Lawson

Idc about anyone but Treadwell. A top 5 pick falling all the way to 18. That would be the BPA that everyone is so high of