Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Welcome Coach Krein!

Jackie Daytona

Indy has hired Darren Krein, Strength and Conditioning coach, previously of the Miami Dolphins.....Krein has 17 years NFL experience, including the last 5 with MIA.  in 2013, he won NFL Strength Coach of the Year...

Worked as S&C Coach for SEA - 97-98, and 2001-2009

From the Miami Dolphins Press Guide....

While in Seattle he assisted in the coordination of the players’ weight training, along with the team’s offseason conditioning program. He also played an integral role in the designing and implementation of the rehabilitation process, working with players that were previously injured to help build strength and flexibility to become game ready. A notable Krein achievement was the physical development of Pro Bowl quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, who after injuries cut short his first season in Seattle (2001) and serving as the primary backup in 2002, Hasselbeck’s offseason training, under the supervision of Krein, allowed him in 2003, 2005 and 2007 to become the first Seahawks quarterback since Rick Mirer in 1993 to start all 16 games as well as being named a member of the NFC Pro Bowl squad. 

What does one have to do to win S&C Coach of the Year?  Or perhaps, what did he do?  Not knocking the guy or the award, but clearly there's people who judge it.

At any rate, if ti keeps our guys healthier longer or back on the field quicker, I'm all for it.  I just have a hard time understanding how a S&C Coach can accomplish that, because to me, the medical methods are what they are.  I'm probably oversimplifying it.

8 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

What does one have to do to win S&C Coach of the Year?  Or perhaps, what did he do?  Not knocking the guy or the award, but clearly there's people who judge it.

At any rate, if ti keeps oguys healthier longer or back on the field quicker, I'm all for it. ur  I just have a hard time understanding how a S&C Coach can accomplish that, because to me, the medical methods are what they are.  I'm probably oversimplifying it.

Me too,,,btw, like the Ford Fairlane Avatar:thmup:

Looks like the coaches are nominated by peers for the award.  It''s criteria are advancing Athlete health and performance through innovative use of safe Sciences.  So, I'd say he implemented some unique routines or practices that had effects noticeable enough to be adopted by others in his field.  Pretty standard guidelines for industry awards regardless of profession really...  And while medical Science is established, it is constantly evolving and advancing.  A torn ACL 10 years ago was a much more tragic injury for a player than it is now.  Part of that is surgical advancements, part of it is advances in rehab methodology, which is what a S&C coach oversees...... also, to act like conditioning and physically maximizing ones abilities while minimizing soft tissue injuries is not different when being instructed by a top-notch trainer, vs. some guy at the Terre Haute Y, for instance....is silly.

15 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Looks like the coaches are nominated by peers for the award.  It''s criteria are advancing Athlete health and performance through innovative use of safe Sciences.  So, I'd say he implemented some unique routines or practices that had effects noticeable enough to be adopted by others in his field.  Pretty standard guidelines for industry awards regardless of profession really...  And while medical Science is established, it is constantly evolving and advancing.  A torn ACL 10 years ago was a much more tragic injury for a player than it is now.  Part of that is surgical advancements, part of it is advances in rehab methodology, which is what a S&C coach oversees...... also, to act like conditioning and physically maximizing ones abilities while minimizing soft tissue injuries is not different when being instructed by a top-notch trainer, vs. some guy at the Terre Haute Y, for instance....is silly.

Good to know.  When it comes to biology, kinesiology, medicine, and any other health related "-ology," I'm a deer in headlights.  

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Andrew Dice Clay is freakin awesome! Funny dude!

"Little Miss Muffet ... along came a spider & sat down beside her ... and said ... What's in the bowl *?"

Laughed for the entire day. Kept hearing that over & over in my head. :) 

15 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:
4 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

"Little Miss Muffet ... along came a spider & sat down beside her ... and said ... What's in the bowl *?"

Jack and Jill went up the hill, each with a buck and a quarter....

This is good. Hopefully it means our Defensive lineman will be in better shape. Over the last couple years our guys have had stamina issue.

This will also help with players that have weight and strength issues. I'd like to see Moncrief and Dorsett put on a little muscle. Geathers could use more strength IMO as well.

But this is really good for if we draft a guy like Leonard Floyd who might need to put on weight depending on how he weighs in at the combine.

I think it is apparent from the Colts' injured reserve list over the past years, that a move to a 21st century strength and conditioning program is needed.  I think Krein has been on the right track and if so will help the Colts stay healthier.  The days of building huge guns and doing squats are not over, but methods of protecting knees and ankles definitely need improvement.  I believe conditioning technique improvement will win future Superbowls.  Its a good pick IMO.

52 minutes ago, bleevit said:

I think it is apparent from the Colts' injured reserve list over the past years, that a move to a 21st century strength and conditioning program is needed.  I think Krein has been on the right track and if so will help the Colts stay healthier.  The days of building huge guns and doing squats are not over, but methods of protecting knees and ankles definitely need improvement.  I believe conditioning technique improvement will win future Superbowls.  Its a good pick IMO.

I'm quite positive the former S&C program was far from the stone ages

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I'm quite positive the former S&C program was far from the stone ages

Don't get me wrong.  The S&C programs throughout the league have been excellent overall.  But as my years in the medical industry have taught me, advances in physical therapy and occupational therapy have been consistent and considerable over the last few years.  As such, I tend to favor innovation based on current science and Coach Krein seems to be such an innovator.

22 minutes ago, bleevit said:

Don't get me wrong.  The S&C programs throughout the league have been excellent overall.  But as my years in the medical industry have taught me, advances in physical therapy and occupational therapy have been consistent and considerable over the last few years.  As such, I tend to favor innovation based on current science and Coach Krein seems to be such an innovator.

What are his innovations?    I don't really follow the s&c programs 

I watched an interview with Coach Krein and he talked about a lot more emphasis on soft tissue injury protection.  Beyond this, he starts with simply the way someone walks and runs and then applies technique of their specific position to improve movement skills.  The importance of this was to maintain control of his body throughout the range of movements that his position is going to make.  Fresh players in good balance are only usually injured by freak plays.  Listening to his thoughts on starting from such basic movements as walking, indicates to me that he is taking an individual response to each and every player from the ground up.

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 11:02 AM, ColtRider said:

Makes a huge difference. Glad to see him on board. Getting rid of injury bugs through strength & conditioning methods of well-known targeted coaches can sway the team's performance in many ways. Good hire. A necessary hire as it seems. 

Hopefully coach Krein can work together with the dietician and get some weight issues resolved. We have a couple of good players who may become great players with some weight loss.

On January 14, 2016 at 11:45 AM, ColtRider said:

While in college in Florida in the late 80's (man the 80's were AWAESOME!), a girlfriend took me to his show in Orlando.  It was the height of his fame.  Heard the famous ..."mother Goose?, I •••••• her." And his "if i ain't got you" song.

my favorite Bit was when he took 5 minutes to light his cigarette.

the best part of his act was that he wasn't nearly as cool as he thought he was.

this was the same girlfriend who took me to Busch Gardens for my birthday in Tampa where we spent the whole day looking for hidden spots to get "romantic", including the cable cars.

that girl was fun! haha

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 11:50 AM, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

I got to see the Dice Man a few years ago here in Indy. I cant ever recall laughing so much in my life. He was staying a the Hilton where my wife worked and so his manager gave my wife two stage passes for booking them in. After the show I shook his hand and just said to him your pretty funny and cool as hell. He just laughed and said thanks.