Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pittsburgh (+3) @ Cincinnatti (1-10-16)

oldunclemark

I will say one thing.... in all the years I have been going to games in Indianapolis, at the RCA Dome and now at Lucas Oil Stadium, I have never once witnessed anything even remotely close to what I witnessed last evening.

Very proud of the players and fans and very proud to say I am a Colts fan.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, ColtRider said:

The officiating in this game was atrocious. Pittsburgh coaching staff & some Bengals fans embarrassed themselves & the league this evening. Both teams deserve a spanking.

Cincinnati got their's tonight. Pittsburgh gets their's next week v. Denver.

The officiating didnt cayse that...players did what they did

I don't think officials blew calls in the Pitt-Cincy game.....

Cincy was looking for a brawl much of the night....

..when you have players who are repeat offender rule breakers....

.....they cause the problems....

Vontez Burfict was talked to...warned...but he still committed the foul on Brown..

..and Pac Man Jones bumped the ref.... when it had a 45-50 yard FG, making it a 30-35 yard FG..

Cincy had the game and gave it away with behavior

9 hours ago, Jules said:
9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He threw all short passes and was still favoring his arm. Brown - concussion. Denver is going to tear them up next week.

We'll see......

Have a long ways away now until the game.

Ben had 5 completions for 40 yards after his return, but his average pass length itself (relative to line of scrimmage) was 0.7 yards!  And his pass to A. Brown was well off target.  He has some healing up to do to be Ben once again.

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

I don't think officials blew calls in the Pitt-Cincy game.....

The officiating didnt cayse that...players did what they did

First I do not condone any bad play or poor sportsmanship that occurred.  With that out of the way, the game is a physical battle fueled by emotion at times.  Sparks come from many directions, including feeling wronged by the Refs/Offiating.  Marvin Lewis alluded to (was it enough to get fined by the league?) the Refs calling some head shots, and not others (selective enforcement).  The hit on Giovanni Bernard by Shazier to name just one.  The play went from a 15 yard penalty tacked on to a reception for the Bengals to a fumble recovery by the Steelers because the Refs failed to enforce a rule.  Even if the receiver has 'become a runner', a defender cannot use the crown of his helmet to make a tackle, and a runner cannot use the crown of his helmet to break a tackle.  This was a new rule/point of emphasis established in 2013 {when the Tuck Rule was tossed}.  Here's the play-

http://www.steelers.com/videos/videos/HIGHLIGHT-Shazier-causes-fumble/e3078dbb-5dd6-4931-91c8-869f58e3bbbc

and the Rule-

NEW RULE: A ban on a ball carrier initiating contact with the crown of his helmet in the open field or by a defender while making a tackle.

What the rule changes: A 15-yard penalty will be called if a runner or a tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players clearly are outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle-to-tackle and from 3 yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team's end line).

Why the change was made: The NFL is trying to avoid concussions at all costs, so this rule will make it illegal for players to use their helmets as weapons. Using the helmet on hits against receivers already is illegal, so this is the next logical step.

The penalty snapshot-

crown%20hit_zpsn3mmjdfc.jpg

And this is from a playoff crew. The Steelers should have never been given possession and the Bengals awarded an additional 15 yards, and Lewis might have been alluding to other 'foul ups' (pardon the pun).  Things build up.  And when you have a loose cannon(s) on your team {Burfict, Hardy, Incognito, Pacman Jones, etc...}, the chance for a blow up of epic proportions goes sky high.  It's easy to blame a coach (Coughlin/OBJ) but the saying is- the coach has all of the power, but no control.

This is why some fans/clubs/people pass on incredible talent that's packaged in a TNT warehouse.   All of the things during the game caused both Bengals  (Burfict, Jones) loose cannons to load up and fire right at a critical junction of the game knocking them from a victory in a playoff game to big time poor sports losers.  I actually like the Steelers, and not the Bengals, but I didn't like what I saw from either side.  Even if teams hate each other, you can sense respect.  Not this game, there was no respect and the officials have to govern tighter and more correctly when this happens.

Now my question is for Mr. Dean Blandino, since the play was reviewed you saw the inept officiating, yet you knew you could not comment on it, only whether fumble or not and possession.  Are you going to address not calling that illegal hit awarding the ball to a team that does not deserve it, after the fact?  Address the ref crew about it in some fashion?

I feel Joey Porter will get a fine, Burfict (because repeat offender) will be one of (if not the) first players suspended for on field behavior.  Adam Jones will get fined. Bengals watch the rest of the playoffs on TV.

9 hours ago, adamr said:

Why was Porter even on the field to begin with?

I feel like that the Bengals got screwed over big time by the refs and they still should have won it at the end.

People can say what they want about Burfict's hit but I still don't get how that was a penalty and yet Shazier's hit on Giovani Benard wasn't a penalty.

Agreed. Burfict barely even touched the guy, and was looking to clearly avoid him when he realized the ball was uncatchable.

What you cite on the 'spearing' call (which is what it was called for decades is true...

That's the way I saw it, too. But hitting a leaping, stretching receiver with your shoulder and hit a runner with your helmet are 2 different things

Refs cant call every foul. Defenders do use the crowd on the helmet to make tackles on running backs. You can cite where that should be called but it almost never is..  Refs always let that go on runners.

You can do almost anything to an RB below the face mark.  Its the boxers' pre-fight 'protect yourself at all times' warning

Beyond that. You are also falling into a fan and player thinking trap, I believe.

Its the 'How can they not see THIS foul but see THAT foul.?'

I watch a lot of NBA basketball and players commit as many fouls as they possibly can to win.

NFL players do anythibng they can to win and intimidate

I don't think its accurate to say that, when players are trying as hard as they can to break all rules, that it is the referees fault that fouls and violence is missed.  This is the sport

To me, I want the hit on Brown called because there's a hug likelihood of injury.

The spearing is a head-to-head confrontation with the runner. who sees it coming..., I don't want that called

8 hours ago, JPFolks said:

I am not on either side of this, but why would a non medical staff or Browns direct coach have reason to be on the field not focused on Brown, but Jawing near the defensive huddle aggressively with a player from the other team?  I would certainly BAN all coaches from the opposing team from being on the field and arguing or even addressing opposing players.  Porter and Munchak should both be suspended next week.  Burfict should be out 4 games and Jones should be fined.  But that's just my opinion, I could be right.  

Right now this is an interesting point... BUT assistants aren't banned... and it's common for them to come out on the field.  Porter just took advantage and taunted players.  Hopefully the league sees this and changes the rules to not allow any assistants to go on the field for injury because they can impact a game like Porter did.

But why would Munchak be suspended? It was 6 yards off the field and he pushed him after he helped him.  For all we know the Bengal player might have told him to not help him so he said fine pisso off.  You have no idea... but I agree on the rest.

16 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

First I do not condone any bad play or poor sportsmanship that occurred.  With that out of the way, the game is a physical battle fueled by emotion at times.  Sparks come from many directions, including feeling wronged by the Refs/Offiating.  Marvin Lewis alluded to (was it enough to get fined by the league?) the Refs calling some head shots, and not others (selective enforcement).  The hit on Giovanni Bernard by Shazier to name just one.  The play went from a 15 yard penalty tacked on to a reception for the Bengalsto a fumble recovery by the Steelers because the Refs failed to enforce a rule.  Even if the receiver has 'become a runner', a defender cannot use the crown of his helmet to make a tackle, and a runner cannot use the crown of his helmet to break a tackle.  This was a new rule/point of emphasis established in 2013 {when the Tuck Rule was tossed}.  Here's the play-

http://www.steelers.com/videos/videos/HIGHLIGHT-Shazier-causes-fumble/e3078dbb-5dd6-4931-91c8-869f58e3bbbc

and the Rule-

NEW RULE: A ban on a ball carrier initiating contact with the crown of his helmet in the open field or by a defender while making a tackle.

What the rule changes: A 15-yard penalty will be called if a runner or a tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players clearly are outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle-to-tackle and from 3 yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team's end line).

Why the change was made: The NFL is trying to avoid concussions at all costs, so this rule will make it illegal for players to use their helmets as weapons. Using the helmet on hits against receivers already is illegal, so this is the next logical step.

The penalty snapshot-

And this is from a playoff crew. The Steelers should have never been given possession and the Bengals awarded an additional 15 yards, and Lewis might have been alluding to other 'foul ups' (pardon the pun).  Things build up.  And when you have a loose cannon(s) on your team {Burfict, Hardy, Incognito, Pacman Jones, etc...}, the chance for a blow up of epic proportions goes sky high.  It's easy to blame a coach (Coughlin/OBJ) but the saying is- the coach has all of the power, but no control.

This is why some fans/clubs/people pass on incredible talent that's packaged in a TNT warehouse.   All of the things during the game caused both Bengals  (Burfict, Jones) loose cannons to load up and fire right at a critical junction of the game knocking them from a victory in a playoff game to big time poor sports losers.  I actually like the Steelers, and not the Bengals, but I didn't like what I saw from either side.  Even if teams hate each other, you can sense respect.  Not this game, there was no respect and the officials have to govern tighter and more correctly when this happens.

Now my question is for Mr. Dean Blandino, since the play was reviewed you saw the inept officiating, yet you knew you could not comment on it, only whether fumble or  ot and possession.  Are you going to address not calling that illegal hit after the fact?  Address the ref crew about it?

I feel Joey Porter will get a fine, Burfict (because repeat offender) will be one of (if not the) first players suspended for on field behavior.  Adam Jones will get fined. Bengals watch the rest of the playoffs on TV.

100% agree. I wish more fans would argue their points the way you do rather than resorting to hyperbole and name-calling. 

A question for you. Why do you think the officiating seemed to be so horrid this year? Has it always been like this but we could not see it like we can today? Any thoughts? 

6 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Agreed. Burfict barely even touched the guy, and was looking to clearly avoid him when he realized the ball was uncatchable.

I don't see that at all.  And that is most definitely based on prior knowledge of repeat offenses.  This is what Burfict does.

18 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

First I do not condone any bad play or poor sportsmanship that occurred.  With that out of the way, the game is a physical battle fueled by emotion at times.  Sparks come from many directions, including feeling wronged by the Refs/Offiating.  Marvin Lewis alluded to (was it enough to get fined by the league?) the Refs calling some head shots, and not others (selective enforcement).  The hit on Giovanni Bernard by Shazier to name just one.  The play went from a 15 yard penalty tacked on to a reception for the Bengals to a fumble recovery by the Steelers because the Refs failed to enforce a rule.  Even if the receiver has 'become a runner', a defender cannot use the crown of his helmet to make a tackle, and a runner cannot use the crown of his helmet to break a tackle.  This was a new rule/point of emphasis established in 2013 {when the Tuck Rule was tossed}.  Here's the play-

and the Rule-

Why the change was made: The NFL is trying to avoid concussions at all costs, so this rule will make it illegal for players to use their helmets as weapons.

The penalty snapshot-

You state the NFL is trying to avoid helmet to helmet collisions... this pic right here shows Shazier dipping his head underneath Bernards... he is trying to avoid helmet to helmet.  What are defensive players supposed to do?  He has to make sure he makes the tackle (which Colts fans are always complaining about Indy's defense) and Shazier ensures he's square on the player but lowers his head so he doesn't come in contact helmet to helmet.

Seriously what else do you want?

I thought Burfict was trying to hurt Brown....and I didn't see him trying to avoid him.

Burfict does that. He is the undisputed NFL leader in personal fouls the last 2 or 3 years.

But I don't think the ref knew who made the hit when he threw the flag,,,, 

.......he flagged it because he hit Brown in the head which is the top priority point

30 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

What you cite on the 'spearing' call (which is what it was called for decades is true...

That's the way I saw it, too. But hitting a leaping, stretching receiver with your shoulder and hit a runner with your helmet are 2 different things

Two different things, but both a 15 yard personal foul by rule.

Refs cant call every foul.

It is their job to do so.  They are paid very well to perform their job.

Defenders do use the crowd on the helmet to make tackles on running backs. You can cite where that

should be called but it almost never is..  Refs always let that go on runners.

That was before the 2013 season.  This New Rule was put in place just FOR the Shazier/Bernard play.  And to keep runners like All Day from lowering his helmet and demolishing an oncoming tackler.  Refs not calling these are not performing their jobs.

You can do almost anything to an RB below the face mark.  Its the boxers' pre-fight 'protect yourself at all times' warning

Not in the facemask though, and no more crown of the helmet- period.

crown%20hit2_zpshujex89a.jpg

Beyond that. You are also falling into a fan and player thinking trap, I believe.

Its the 'How can they not see THIS foul but see THAT foul.?'

It was out in open field and apparent.  All refs are to error in favor of safety in these circumstances.  Not overlook it.

I watch a lot of NBA basketball and players commit as many fouls as they possibly can to win.

NFL players do anythibng they can to win and intimidate

I don't think its accurate to say that, when players are trying as hard as they can to break all rules, that it is the referees fault that fouls and violence is missed.  This is the sport

To me, I want the hit on Brown called because there's a hug likelihood of injury.

The spearing is a head-to-head confrontation with the runner. who sees it coming..., I don't want that called

What you want called called or not matters little.  There is a reason the league calls for both to be called (hopefully reducing the desire to make that type of play).  That reason is concussions. (player safety)

There are lawsuits and movies about it.  Helmet research, Heads Up programs for youth leagues, etc.  Because plays of this type cause these headlines-

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000620231/article/antonio-brown-suffers-concussion-in-steelers-win

and also-

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000620178/article/giovani-bernard-going-through-concussion-protocol

These are both what the NFL is punishing to help reduce / prevent.

4 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Whether you WANT it called or not does not matter. The rules are the rules. A penalty should have been called on the hit on Bernard, as he was hit with the crown of his helmet. That is against the rules whether we like the rules or not.

Also, a penalty should have been called on Porter for going onto the field and yelling at opposing players.

8 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

.......he flagged it because he hit Brown in the head which is the top priority point

Yes, preventing hits to the head is top priority. That is why a flag should have been called on that hit on Bernard. You're contradicting yourself a bit. Don't give me that Bernard was a runner... if protecting players' heads is top priority, as you wrote, then that should have been a flag. ColtsBlueFL explained it well.

2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Well, you now say that KC which won, has a better chance to beat NE than Pittsburgh, who lost.

That's obviously true...You said a lot there.

Huh you seem to be lost.

You originally claimed that I posted about KC having no chance against NE which I never did. Show me that post?. You misunderstood me for someone else and you are having a hard time admit it and started rambling. I understand how annoying and baseless you can get with how some non-peyton fans view you.

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Whether you WANT it called or not does not matter. The rules are the rules. A penalty should have been called on the hit on Bernard, as he was hit with the crown of his helmet. That is against the rules whether we like the rules or not.

Also, a penalty should have been called on Porter for going onto the field and yelling at opposing players.

Yes, preventing hits to the head is top priority. That is why a flag should have been called on that hit on Bernard. You're contradicting yourself a bit. Don't give me that Bernard was a runner... if protecting players' heads is top priority, as you wrote, then that should have been a flag. ColtsBlueFL explained it well.

NFL fan;

I was just pointing out what I want to see.

But the rules are what the refs say they are and the hit on Bernard is almost never called, right

If you hit a QB they call that. If you hit a WR like that, they call that.

You can cite what you saw and the rule book but that is almost never called. on a running back.

I don't want it to be. That's my preference and clearly, the way I like it is the way it is.

There's no penalty on Porter. He was clearly on the field for an injured player and he got into an arguement with the Bengals. :That's not a penalty. .

And Bernard was a runner. He had turned upfield. Brown had not

Bernard was hit in the chest, not the head. (check the above photo) He was speared...but, again, that's never called on a RB.  RBs just have to deal with that. Protect yourself at all times.

All fouls simply wont be called, as I said. My overriding thought.?

Stop blaming the refs for problems players cause.

2 minutes ago, Shane Bond said:

Huh you seem to be lost.

You originally claimed that I posted about KC having no chance against NE which I never did. Show me that post?. You misunderstood me for someone else and you are having a hard time admit it and started rambling. I understand how annoying and baseless you can get with how some non-peyton fans view you.

I think you're denying what you said.

But that's okay. Its a message board

Just now, oldunclemark said:

I think you're denying what you said.

But that's okay. Its a message board

What am I denying?. You really have lost it.

Go back to your original post quoting me. You said, I have posted earlier that KC has no chance.

Show me where I posted that?.  Show me and stop rambling your non sense.

The only person I feel bad for is AJ McCarron.  I thought he played with a lot of heart, and I was happy for him when he finally threw the TD to AJ Green.   I really like AJ Green as well and that was a great moment for the two of them.    Then the Defense....  E Gads....   what a mess.   

18 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

He is quoting me for someone else's posts lol

Dude is losing it. Don't bother rationalizing with him and waste your time.

1 minute ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

The only person I feel bad for is AJ McCarron.  I thought he played with a lot of heart, and I was happy for him when he finally threw the TD to AJ Green.   I really like AJ Green as well and that was a great moment for the two of them.    Then the Defense....  E Gads....   what a mess.   

True, I thought he was overwhelmed in the first half but he came on strong late in the game and made big plays

Just now, oldunclemark said:

Nobody says Dude. 

Back to the point. What are you saying about NE and KC?   That's what I was discussing when you joined in

You can say what you want.

Don't be afraid

Tell me when you are back to your sense and know who are talking, we can discuss.

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I don't know, after how this game ended, due to a lack of discipline on the part of his players, how Marvin Lewis can survive this playoff loss.

He's suck a likable guy.....and I don't know how the fan base in Cincy feels.

Stepping back from it...the Bengals probably were without their starting QB so I think Marvin Lewis will get a pass on the bad behavior...

4 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

NFL fan;

I was just pointing out what I want to see.

But the rules are what the refs say they are and the hit on Bernard is almost never called, right

If you hit a QB they call that. If you hit a WR like that, they call that.

You can cite what you saw and the rule book but that is almost never called. on a running back.

I don't want it to be. That's my preference and clearly, the way I like it is the way it is.

There's no penalty on Porter. He was clearly on the field for an injured player and he got into an arguement with the Bengals. :That's not a penalty. .

And Bernard was a runner. He had turned upfield. Brown had not

Bernard was hit in the chest, not the head. (check the above photo) He was speared...but, again, that's never called on a RB.  RBs just have to deal with that. Protect yourself at all times.

All fouls simply wont be called, as I said. My overriding thought.?

Stop blaming the refs for problems players cause.

I did not realize Porter was a member of their medical team. The injured player was not a member of his unit. Even if he was, why is he yelling at opposing players?  Lastly, if that is allowed, why will he get fined by the league.

So the rules are what the officials say they are. Okay. It is futile to argue with someone who has that perpective. But don't complain about bad calls because as you say, "the rules are what the refs say they are".  Carry on.

44 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

You state the NFL is trying to avoid helmet to helmet collisions... this pic right here shows Shazier dipping his head underneath Bernards... he is trying to avoid helmet to helmet.  What are defensive players supposed to do?  He has to make sure he makes the tackle (which Colts fans are always complaining about Indy's defense) and Shazier ensures he's square on the player but lowers his head so he doesn't come in contact helmet to helmet.

Seriously what else do you want?

Head up, facemask to facemask.  That is still legal.  Crown to facemask, not legal.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

I did not realize Porter was a member of their medical team. The injured player was not a member of his unit. Even if he was, why is he yelling at opposing players?  Lastly, if that is allowed, why will he get fined by the league.

So the rules are what the officials say they are. Okay. It is futile to argue with someone who has that perpective. But don't complain about bad calls because as you say, "the rules are what the refs say they are".  Carry on.

Assistant coaches do come o the field during injuries,..not just the med staff.

Porter will be fined, I;m sure but Pac Man pushed a ref

We can ALL complain about bad calls but, in the end, the rules are what the refs say they are.

That's not my perspective its reality. In all sports, rules are what the refs say they are.

In baseball, the homer plate umpire says: A strike is what I call a strike. Get back in the box.

NFL refs don't call offensive pass interference enough for me but I have to accept it. I know its not called.

I think offensive players face mask defenders constantly but it is rarely called.

See what I mean?

Citing the rule book is fine but you have to accept what the refs wont or don't call.    Reality is a son of a gun

17 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

1. And Bernard was a runner. He had turned upfield. Brown had not

2. Bernard was hit in the chest, not the head. (check the above photo)

1. Doesn't matter since 2013.  New rule

2. Wrong. Crown to facemask (I'll post it again!)

Interesting fact.  That rule passed 31-1.  Team that voted against it?  Cincinnati Bengals. 

14 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

He's suck a likable guy.....and I don't know how the fan base in Cincy feels.

Stepping back from it...the Bengals probably were without their starting QB so I think Marvin Lewis will get a pass on the bad behavior...

I don't think so. OBJ's behavior vs Norman, if Coughlin had pulled him aside early enough, the suspension probably doesn't happen. After the first 15 yard penalty, if Marvin takes a timeout and gives his players a reality check talk, the second 15 yard penalty does not happen, IMO.

I remember the Chargers vs Patriots 2006 playoff game where the Chargers players had a few personal fouls that cost them field position and eventually the lack of discipline caught up to them in the results.  Marty was fired following a 14-2 season and a one and done albeit it had to do with A.J.Smith, the GM then as well.

Marvin Lewis should not get a pass, IMO, they had the game won.

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

1. Doesn't matter since 2013.  New rule

2. Wrong. Crown to facemask (I'll post it again!)

Interesting fact.  That rule passed 31-1.  Team that voted against it?  Cincinnati Bengals. 

That is very interesting and ironic...

We're getting into the definition of facemask.

On the photo here..to me that's not crown to face mask....that's crown to chest and shoulder

I wish refs would come back after the game with a ruling of what THEY saw on controversial plays.

They don't have to debate them. Just tell us what they called.

I'm not fond of Dean Blandino covering for them later, either....

18 minutes ago, Shane Bond said:

Tell me when you are back to your sense and know who are talking, we can discuss.

Cincy vs. NE....that's hwat we were talking about when you dropped by...

chime in with an opinion whenever...and later, you can deny you said it.

That's the fun of a message board

8 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Cincy vs. NE....that's hwat we were talking about when you dropped by...

chime in with an opinion whenever...and later, you can deny you said it.

That's the fun of a message board

I have asked you 3 times to show me the post where I said KC will have no chance with NE. You are yet to show it. Get your medication and comeback. Stop typing garbage here.

9 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Assistant coaches do come o the field during injuries,..not just the med staff.

Porter will be fined, I;m sure but Pac Man pushed a ref

We can ALL complain about bad calls but, in the end, the rules are what the refs say they are.

That's not my perspective its reality. In all sports, rules are what the refs say they are.

In baseball, the homer plate umpire says: A strike is what I call a strike. Get back in the box.

NFL refs don't call offensive pass interference enough for me but I have to accept it. I know its not called.

I think offensive players face mask defenders constantly but it is rarely called.

See what I mean?

Citing the rule book is fine but you have to accept what the refs wont or don't call.    Reality is a son of a gun

I can't believe I am going back and forth with you. haha  What does Pacman Jones hitting a Ref have anything to do with whether Porter should have been flagged for what he did? Both were against the rules. Those should have been offsetting penalties.