Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Things Can Happen Now

oldunclemark

Obviously, it'll take a few days to grasp what he has...

.....but someone ambitious enough to be a GM..and who interviewed twice..

....certainly had to form opinions (and tell Mr. Irsay) about what he wanted to do.

I think he'll retain Caldwell.....

I cite this quote from Wednesday...

“I’ve been on teams whose guys were run off for the sake of running guys off,” Grigson said after agreeing to a four-year deal that includes a team option for a fifth year. “That makes no sense to me. I like to salvage things if the ability is there.”

My guess is we keep Caldwell, I don't like it, but that's my gut feeling. IF we do keep him, I'll be rooting for Peyton even more so to make a return, because Caldwell would do Luck no favors.

..and as a new executive..if you dont want to blow up something that's been working ( 2 out of 3 years)

If you fire Jim C....he's gone..and you upset some players

If you retain him...you can still fire him next season .and you gave him a chance..

..and as a new executive..if you dont want to blow up something that's been working ( 2 out of 3 years)

If you retain him...you can still fire him next season .and you gave him a chance..

JC's contract is up after next year. It could be one of those things where they give him a chance to coach out his contract and then determine his future. Pretty neutral on whether or not Caldwell goes; don't think he is a great coach but not sure if there are options that are heads and tails above him.

JC's contract is up after next year. It could be one of those things where they give him a chance to coach out his contract and then determine his future. Pretty neutral on whether or not Caldwell goes; don't think he is a great coach but not sure if there are options that are heads and tails above him.

I am where you are Larry....

..Its clear..he's a caretaker..a game manager....I think he's got the heart and manner of a college coach ...

....but Irsay likes him and the players like him..

Grigson makes a popular move in the clubhouse if he left Jim C. finish his contract..

I still think Caldwell gets fired. There are better options out there and when you're a young GM you probably want the best option.

Again, the NFL is a business. And when the majority of people (80% of Colts fans) are complaining about your product (Caldwell) you have to improve the product (Spagnuolo).

One thing's for certain after reading that comment again: Grigson won't be getting rid of Caldwell just for the sake of "bringing his own guy in," like Reggie McKenzie did in Oakland. Nothing wrong with that, but if he gets rid of Caldwell, it will be because he doesn't believe in him.

And I think that's a hard place to get to with Caldwell. We started 14-0 under him, and went to the Super Bowl after two straight first round exits. We fell off a precipice this year, and part of that is faulted to coaching, no doubt. But he's got some accomplishments. And, he's a really nice and good person, so as Grigson gets to know him, that will factor in as well. The players like him, the owner likes him... For Grigson to come in and say "he's not good enough to keep coaching this team" would be significant.

I think we can do much better than Caldwell, but I have no idea what's going to happen with him.

....certainly had to form opinions (and tell Mr. Irsay) about what he wanted to do.

“I’ve been on teams whose guys were run off for the sake of running guys off,” Grigson said after agreeing to a four-year deal that includes a team option for a fifth year. “That makes no sense to me. I like to salvage things if the ability is there.”

I think that that quote probably had more to do with Peyton than Caldwell

If he is as smart and grounded as he sounded in the presser he will start his stint with Indy with no preconceived ideas about what needs to be done. The first thing after talking in length with Irsay to get his take on the coaching staff, is to interview the coaches and interview them like he would any new coaching candidate and then make his decision. Then it's like Superman stated, no matter what he does with Caldwell it's because he thinks it's the best thing for the team at the moment.

If he is as smart and grounded as he sounded in the presser he will start his stint with Indy with no preconceived ideas about what needs to be done. The first thing after talking in length with Irsay to get his take on the coaching staff, is to interview the coaches and interview them like he would any new coaching candidate and then make his decision. Then it's like Superman stated, no matter what he does with Caldwell it's because he thinks it's the best thing for the team at the moment.

And that said....unless he has a proven coach..a close fried..who ke KNOWS can win.

you stay with a guy who is (although some dont want to acknowldege it is) technically a proven winner

because of the whole "either or" debate between Luck and Peyton that they media continues to bang on

I would venture to guess that no GM, even a brand new one, makes decisions based on:

A) Anything discussed in the media

B) What the fans think is best for the team.

Also, in case you were not able to watch the press conference yesterday, that answer came in response to a question about if he has any "his guys" he wants to bring in like other GMs do when they take over a team.

I wonder, as a new GM, do you put any faith in Caldwell being able to make you (the new GM) look good? I wouldn't.

This will be determined by further discussions with Caldwell, and other staffers to gauge just what the heck's been going on with the organization the past few years. It will not (or at least should not) be determined by what one see's on the boob tube.

I think if Caldwell is kept, he is told that he is on the hot seat, especially after drafting a QB in April. WIth the number 1 overall pick, there is no excuse. Andy Reid is facing the same "don't let it happen again" treatment after their season.

But, how many of the "OLD GUARD" are retained? This team is cap strapped even if Manning is realeased.

Irsay did what he did for a "reason" ... This franchise is starting over. And all the "usual" moves will soon follow.