Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Playoffs are wayyyy to short...

bap1331

dont you think its kind of short when the patriots and broncos get a bye week, face wild card winner and the winner is one game away from the super bowl?

I think they need to work alittle bit more because i really hate the playoff structure. How was the Colts only way in through the AFC South crown but the Steelers and Bengals both got a spot in the playoffs? Shouldnt the Colts atleast have a chance at one of those spots? Am i missing something?

I think adding 4 more teams would make it more interesting, they would need to work harder as a punishment but hey, it would be awesome if they turned out to be champions.

Or they can add 4 more teams to the NFL.

London-We all know the NFL is shoving Europe down our throats.

Alabama-HUGE football fan population. Theyre professional team is literally the Alabama college football team or their local high school. Any sporting even draws a large crowd and media over there.

Los Angeles- You can seriously add 2 NFL teams in one city and just have them fight it out like the Angels/Dodgers

Oregon or Salt Lake City

8 minutes ago, bap1331 said:

How was the Colts only way in through the AFC South crown but the Steelers and Bengals both got a spot in the playoffs? Shouldnt the Colts atleast have a chance at one of those spots? Am i missing something?

The Steelers got in as a wild card.  The four division winners in each conference get a spot in the playoffs, plus the two teams with the best records from the non division winners.  The Steelers didn't win their division, but they had one of the two best records among all the other teams that didn't win their division.  If the Colts had won more games than the Steelers or Chiefs, they would have been in instead.  Of course, since the Colts play in the AFC South they would have won their division if they won more games than the Steelers or Chiefs.

If they add 4 more teams to the playoff field, you would literally have half the league in the playoffs.

The two top teams earn their bye week. More playoffs games are not a reality IMO. Most teams are already down so many players to injury and now the teams who have the least amount of injuries have the best shot. And you want more games played? By the NFL adding a wild card spot a few years ago I think it made it just right myself. It keeps the tradition of winning your division alive and then takes the next best teams available.

10 hours ago, bap1331 said:

dont you think its kind of short when the patriots and broncos get a bye week, face wild card winner and the winner is one game away from the super bowl?

I think they need to work alittle bit more because i really hate the playoff structure. How was the Colts only way in through the AFC South crown but the Steelers and Bengals both got a spot in the playoffs? Shouldnt the Colts atleast have a chance at one of those spots? Am i missing something?

The regular season is only 16 games long...the playoffs are 4 games long. 12 of 32 teams make the playoffs. The 4 best teams are rewarded for their 16 game play by getting a bye, and the remaining 8 teams have to play another quarter of a season to win the Superbowl. When you look at it that way, the playoffs aren't 'short' by any means.

For your second point, the Colts only way to the playoffs was through the AFC South crown because they finished 8-8. The Bengals and Steelers both got a spot in the playoffs because they finished 12-4 and 10-6, respectively. The Colts DID have a chance at one of those spots...but they simply didn't win enough games to earn it over the teams that did. 

Baseball playoffs and world series is the worst in terms of the time it takes to get to the WS and win the world series. Actually, all playoff systems are hideous and built only for TV revenue. When teams with losing records make the playoffs it's like that commercial where the little league player gets a trophy with "Participant" engraved on it. 

9 hours ago, King Colt said:

Baseball playoffs and world series is the worst in terms of the time it takes to get to the WS and win the world series. Actually, all playoff systems are hideous and built only for TV revenue. When teams with losing records make the playoffs it's like that commercial where the little league player gets a trophy with "Participant" engraved on it. 

trying....to show....restraint ;)

Playoffs are fine.    They take about a month.     Perfect.

12 teams in,  20 teams out.    Also perfect.

It shows just how hard it is to make the playoffs every year.  

I hate, Hate, HATE when things get watered down.     Completely unnecessary.

Things are good just as they are.

(That said,  things will change, because the owners want more teams in the playoffs.)

I like it the way it is, but I wouldn't at all be disappointed if they added another team for each conference.  The whole watered down thing is overplayed.  Adding one team in each conference would never bring in a team with a losing record if the last 10 years are any indication.  A third would be 8-8, a third would be 9-7, and a third would have 10-6 or better.  2/3 of 7 seeds would have winning records.  That's hardly watering down the playoffs.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 11:16 PM, JCPatriot said:

The Steelers got in as a wild card.  The four division winners in each conference get a spot in the playoffs, plus the two teams with the best records from the non division winners.  The Steelers didn't win their division, but they had one of the two best records among all the other teams that didn't win their division.  If the Colts had won more games than the Steelers or Chiefs, they would have been in instead.  Of course, since the Colts play in the AFC South they would have won their division if they won more games than the Steelers or Chiefs.

If they add 4 more teams to the playoff field, you would literally have half the league in the playoffs.

Agreed...I frealy like the playoffs the way they are now..

If they wish to add one more wild card and take away a bye, that would be Okay..

But I like division winners getting a home game.

The whole idea is to win your division....the teasm you play twice.

Houston (9-7) should be hosting KC (11-5) because KC could not win their division